Ironton Fighting Tigers Football 2020

Sport Fan
JV Team

Re: Ironton 2020

Post by Sport Fan »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am
laser breath wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:10 am
Frogtownbuckeye wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:31 am

The Sophomore classes are nowhere near even, nor are the Senior classes. I'm nut sure what Burg has in the Junior class but their Sophs and Seniors are nowhere near a match for Ironton's.
You’re kidding yourself about the comparison of sophomore classes. The RB twins for burg will be studs. The QB will be back with them and they have a coup of more skilled kids that are going to be good. They need a better line but that will come with the 8th grade. The senior class will be good. Trust me. They don’t have s superstar like carrico but they will be good.
I have no doubt Burg's Senior class will not be good but great. They keep athletes on hand at all times. That said, the Freshman game AT Burg last year was 38-6. Burg scored in garbage time and couldn't move the ball all game. I understand Burg's main Freshman athlete didn't play in that game but Ironton has seen him before. He's a great athlete but much better on the basketball court than the football field. Ironton was searching the sidelines for more kids to get into the endzone. Six different kids scored touchdowns. If Ironton had been primarily Carpenter, Carter, Wilson, and Barnes, the game would've gotten much uglier. Carpenter and Carter are elite players already with Barnes and Wilson very close behind them. Add in Mize, Martin, Weekly, Freeman, Brown, Kirk, and company, and Burg's Sophomore class isn't close. Burg is a great program no doubt, and their coaching staff will always have their guys well prepared. But if we're talking talent vs talent, the Sophomore classes-to be are worlds apart.
This Burg freshman you are talking about is better on any court or field period ..He truly makes a difference ! So if you are comparing games why not add the Burg vs Ironton JV? Burg dominated that game !

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

Sport Fan wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:18 am
laser breath wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:10 am

You’re kidding yourself about the comparison of sophomore classes. The RB twins for burg will be studs. The QB will be back with them and they have a coup of more skilled kids that are going to be good. They need a better line but that will come with the 8th grade. The senior class will be good. Trust me. They don’t have s superstar like carrico but they will be good.
I have no doubt Burg's Senior class will not be good but great. They keep athletes on hand at all times. That said, the Freshman game AT Burg last year was 38-6. Burg scored in garbage time and couldn't move the ball all game. I understand Burg's main Freshman athlete didn't play in that game but Ironton has seen him before. He's a great athlete but much better on the basketball court than the football field. Ironton was searching the sidelines for more kids to get into the endzone. Six different kids scored touchdowns. If Ironton had been primarily Carpenter, Carter, Wilson, and Barnes, the game would've gotten much uglier. Carpenter and Carter are elite players already with Barnes and Wilson very close behind them. Add in Mize, Martin, Weekly, Freeman, Brown, Kirk, and company, and Burg's Sophomore class isn't close. Burg is a great program no doubt, and their coaching staff will always have their guys well prepared. But if we're talking talent vs talent, the Sophomore classes-to be are worlds apart.
This Burg freshman you are talking about is better on any court or field period ..He truly makes a difference ! So if you are comparing games why not add the Burg vs Ironton JV? Burg dominated that game !
Because 1. We were comparing class for class, not team for team and 2. Ironton's Freshman team was better than Ironton's JV team. I've watched the Burg Freshman in question since the 4th grade when he was at West. He IS a better basketball player than a football/baseball player. That's in no way a slight to his football/baseball ability, the kid can play everything well. He is a phenomenal basketball player that I've watched take over games by himself. That said, on the football field he is not on the same level as about 4 of of Ironton's Freshmen. The next 3 years will show that.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:45 am
Sport Fan wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:18 am

Because 1. We were comparing class for class, not team for team and 2. Ironton's Freshman team was better than Ironton's JV team. I've watched the Burg Freshman in question since the 4th grade when he was at West. He IS a better basketball player than a football/baseball player. That's in no way a slight to his football/baseball ability, the kid can play everything well. He is a phenomenal basketball player that I've watched take over games by himself. That said, on the football field he is not on the same level as about 4 of of Ironton's Freshmen. The next 3 years will show that.

LOL we shall see !!!! I for one believe he is better at Football , his size has a freshman and his strength is unreal … Time will tell my friend

Lookiehere
Waterboy

Post by Lookiehere »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:54 pm
TigerMania wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm We should be very good next year. I hear all this talk of the carter and carpenter kids and both are good ball players, but shouldn’t Deere and Carrico be our backs? So I could see carter playing wr with hacker and Howell. Doesn’t carpenter have to beat out Sloan kid for qb? The offensive line should be just fine.
The question was asked earlier in the thread about who would be the #2 HB if Carrico's carries are limited. Carrico and Deere will be the backs with Crawford backing up Deere and Carter backing up Carrico. The QB race will have 3 competitors with Carpenter, York, and Sloan. I look for Carpenter to win that battle with Sloan backing him up and Sloan also rotating with the 1s at WR. The line will be loaded.
I think York will get the nod at qb. He’s a veteran with the experience and has put the time in. Coming off a devastating injury like he did shows he’s got grit. Slone has a very strong arm (he’s supposed to be a freak pitcher) but looked youthful at the position. He is also extremely athletic. With a little work, He would also be a dangerous qb especially at the run as he looks like a playmaker. Carpenter will be good but not ready yet. He probably will be soon but has a lot of growing to do. He seems to be putting in the time to improve but that is a huge step from jr high to high school. Howell is a lethal threat down field as he proved last season. Should be a good battle for the spot but that is my take

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Don’t be shocked if your next qb is from the same school you got your last one from

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

at'll work.
or at dog'll hunt.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

JTEK wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:54 pm Don’t be shocked if your next qb is from the same school you got your last one from
No one is ever surprised at where IHS chooses there talent from . You guys whine about this but it’s been a fact of tiger nation since before King Lutz was in charge.

We hope to cull some of the hometown talent that gets the shaft from the influx of these transfers when we get our 8 man program up and running at St Joe.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

JTEK wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:54 pm Don’t be shocked if your next qb is from the same school you got your last one from
I wouldn’t count on that :D

Lookiehere
Waterboy

Post by Lookiehere »

Sounds good but doubtful they would be more impressive than the other 4 already mentioned

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Carpenter will be the QB, Slone at the 2, and York at the 3. The most talented kid will play regardless of grade. Pendleton has already shown he will play the best 11.
Last edited by GoBigI on Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

We’ll be just fine at the QB position, trust me 😁

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Frequent Flyer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:18 pm
No one is ever surprised at where IHS chooses there talent from . You guys whine about this but it’s been a fact of tiger nation since before King Lutz was in charge.

We hope to cull some of the hometown talent that gets the shaft from the influx of these transfers when we get our 8 man program up and running at St Joe.
:lol: I have always wondered why St. Joe didn't start a team and play the real Ironton kids. I bet they would be really good and the crowds would be outstanding. Its hard as a fan to get behind all the recruits...easy to cheer on hometown talent! I remember those teams in the 70s. Great hometown talent they played hard, tough football. Pretty good coach too! (Lutz)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

st. joe had an awesome team back in the day. I remember when I was in high school at ironton. I think st. joe had like 44 boys in the whole school. and to me anyway it looked like 42 played ball, and the other 2 were managers. I remember them in the ovc. and won titles there. it's a shame that they had to quit playing. I look at it this way. praise God these young men have the opportunity to play at ironton, where their school does have that sport. but yes it would be awesome to see saint joe with a team again. I'd be curious as to what their male enrollment is now. I know many have sent their kids to ironton through the years that were catholic and the families just could not afford the tuition.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

this is ironton we're talking about here, remember. steel mills closed, railroad jobs gone, etc. it hain't really the industrial hub it was in years past. but ak steel is getting ready to fire the furnaces back up and specialize in pig iron in Ashland, ky. so hopefully they'll bring back employees that were productive 1st. before hiring outside that circle. it was bought for a billion dollars by a Cleveland outfit.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

herein lies a problem. I know it's a football topic. but years ago when the new Ashland, ky. bridge was built. the bridge virtually for all intensive purposes Armco steel was right under the bridge. now ak steel. and not one piece of metal in the new Ashland bridge was from there. that steel was purchased from Nippon steel in japan. and shipped here supposedly cheaper than it could be made using Armco. but in another respect Armco specialized in steel for the automotive industry. but still why buy it from japan, surely we had American factories that provide that type of steel construction. that kinda stuff costs countless jobs. it provided temporary construction jobs. but long term, nothing. you would not believe how that affects towns and cities dependant on those jobs. I remember when Armco had 7,000 employees. and there were thousands more of us construction contractors working there. it was a city. it had it's own railroad system, and even a small hospital there.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

actually Armco steel was originally going to be there, but years ago the bankers chose against it. Toyota was going to buy all the property there in ironton that was vacant where the malleable and tar plant was there in town. and the land couldn't be bought. we're talking thousands of jobs. I have a son that works at Toyota in Georgetown, ky. and they have over 12,000 employees. and having a new line building rav4's now. and they also manufacture lexus's there as well. you would not believe how many ironton people moved there to find work. and you would not believe the distance that many ky. people drive back and forth on a daily basis commuting. it's hard physical work. but dang good money, and benefits. did you know Toyota has never laid off an employee. we could have had that in our own back yard, and Armco steel. and with Armco closed it basically bankrupt the booming railroad industry they had there in Russell, ky. and there were as many ohioans working there as Kentuckians I spect.

Lookiehere
Waterboy

Post by Lookiehere »

GoBigI wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:52 pm Carpenter will be the QB, Sloan at the 2, and York at the 3. The most talented kid will play regardless of grade. Pendleton has already shown he will play the best 11.
I disagree. I think you have it backwards. York will be hungry returning from his injury. And I don’t think Slone lost as the jv qb while rapidly improving each game. Carpenter looks good too though. Will be a tough choice. With talent like this though I would hate to be the coach to make the call. Hopefully he chooses the most deserving and talented.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I think everyone will be surprised at the. QB position next year 😁

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:44 pm I think everyone will be surprised at the. QB position next year 😁
Tell us all knowing one. I mean we all know coach is out there talking to the tri state, not a secret now. No one will be surprised if it’s a transfer. It will be a surprise if it’s a kid that’s paid his dues.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

Lookiehere wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:37 pm
GoBigI wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:52 pm Carpenter will be the QB, Sloan at the 2, and York at the 3. The most talented kid will play regardless of grade. Pendleton has already shown he will play the best 11.
I disagree. I think you have it backwards. York will be hungry returning from his injury. And I don’t think Slone lost as the jv qb while rapidly improving each game. Carpenter looks good too though. Will be a tough choice. With talent like this though I would hate to be the coach to make the call. Hopefully he chooses the most deserving and talented.
York will probably change positions, maybe to TE. I believe these coaches would use Howell as the 3 if absolutely necessary. There is actually a pretty big gap between Carpenter at the 1 and Slone at the 2. Slone was moved to QB as a necessity and has done well there at the JV level. He has only played QB sparingly for 2 years. Carpenter has been a QB his entire life and from what I’ve heard lit up the 2 Freshman games he played this year against 2 quality teams. When Carpenter was healthy at the end of the year, he was the QB behind Salyers in “late game duty”. Unless Carpenter takes 3 steps backward, he’ll be your QB for the next 3 years. Slone will see the field somewhere at a skill position, maybe WR, TE, or FB and will be the 2.

Return to “Football”