SOC 2 talk. Any surprising teams?

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: SOC 2 talk. Any surprising teams?

Post by wobycat »

Larry Fine wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:30 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm
smurray wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm

How did Waverly take a hit on their line? The entire starting line is back.
I do agree though l, Waverly has to stop people on Defense..
People are talking about a healthy Shanks throwing to Futhey (and that is legit) but don’t forget Waverly will have at least 4 other huge targets to throw to with a nice committee at back and an entire starting offense line back who did a great job last year....
My bad. I thought Waverly was senior heavy last year on the line.
No that was Wheelersburg
Correct, but this years all senior line will be better than last. What else you got?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

smurray wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm

How did Waverly take a hit on their line? The entire starting line is back.
I do agree though l, Waverly has to stop people on Defense..
People are talking about a healthy Shanks throwing to Futhey (and that is legit) but don’t forget Waverly will have at least 4 other huge targets to throw to with a nice committee at back and an entire starting offense line back who did a great job last year....
No that was Wheelersburg
Yes history dictates the burg had there 1-2 good years and should fall back to the middle of the pack in the SOC 😉

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg will usually always be competing for the SOC. They have a good program. I won’t be surprised if they get beat. It happens but it’s a safe bet to put them at the top. Both Waverly and minford could have beat burg last year. Minford was a yard away. I’m not saying burg is invincible but I feel they will be better overall but lose their knock out guy. They will have to grind out some wins this year.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

In Re to the topic of the thread: Any surprising teams.

Minford arguably has the two best athletes in the conference. EVL and Risner. The line will be a question but will be fine with a few coming out that played in Jr. High but not as Fresh., and Sophs. 1 or 2 move-ins from other districts, and another who would have stared but had a season-ending injury in 2-a-days last year. I look for Minford to spread the field with a 5-wide shotgun offense and EVL just sling the ball all over the field all night long. Minford offense will look much like Ridgewoods did last year.

Waverly: They have the most returning talent and will be the favorite, plus they play W'burg at home this year, so it'll theirs too loose.

Wheelersburg: It's tough to lose the talent they did with Ruby, Horsely, and Mathews and be the favorite, but they just may surprise everyone and yet again, pull another rabbit outta the hat as they did in 2019.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Ohiosports22
Waterboy

Post by Ohiosports22 »

Burg takes the SOC 2 again this year with Waverly coming in a close second.

1. Burg
2. Waverly
3. Minford
4. Oak Hill
5. West
6. Valley

4-6 can be interchangeable.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

i have been wrong before but i would wager a large sum of money that Valley will not be last in the SOC

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

If Burg can get their line together, they are going to score a bunch. Two senior players are playing that I didn’t think would and both are fast and elusive.

Still unknown on their run defense, need to have a couple of kids step up at the Inside LB spot. I think d line will be ok unless someone makes some noise.

Waverly is burgs biggest threat to take soc, unless an upset happens.

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

Blitz wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 am i have been wrong before but i would wager a large sum of money that Valley will not be last in the SOC
I’ve been told Valley only had around 15 kids showing up for workouts so that may be a strong possibility.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

wobycat wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:18 am

No that was Wheelersburg
Correct, but this years all senior line will be better than last. What else you got?

Waverly might have a slight edge with Shanks, Futhey, and experienced line play, but the Pirate program owns the psychological edge. The Tigers have beaten the Burg fewer than 10 timed in the last 50 years. Old habits die hard.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Omega wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:59 pm

No that was Wheelersburg

Waverly might have a slight edge with Shanks, Futhey, and experienced line play, but the Pirate program owns the psychological edge. The Tigers have beaten the Burg fewer than 10 timed in the last 50 years. Old habits die hard.
I'll take the more talented team over psychological edge of players who haven't been there but 2-3 years. Basically like the ironton stuff burg posters were saying last year, "we've beat them so many years in a row that's a mental edge".

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:18 pm

I'll take the more talented team over psychological edge of players who haven't been there but 2-3 years. Basically like the ironton stuff burg posters were saying last year, "we've beat them so many years in a row that's a mental edge".
Yeah I don’t buy the psychological edge unless it’s close. Burg has a bunch of skilled kids this year. Their secondary will be really good. I believe burgs line will be better this year but I’m basing that on promise. Still have to prove it. Have to find an inside run defense to be better too. Waverly will put up points but I think burg will too. It will come down to can Waverly get the stop they need to win it. Something that has eluded them in the past.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeah I don’t buy the psychological edge unless it’s close. Burg has a bunch of skilled kids this year. Their secondary will be really good. I believe burgs line will be better this year but I’m basing that on promise. Still have to prove it. Have to find an inside run defense to be better too. Waverly will put up points but I think burg will too. It will come down to can Waverly get the stop they need to win it. Something that has eluded them in the past.
That's a good run down, the difference in the teams last year when I went to this game was Waverlys inability to adjust their run defense. My guess burg probably called 5 different plays in the 2nd half but Waverly kept lining up with zero changes. Waverly has more horses under the hood but burg has an advantage on the headsets.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Psychological edge wouldn’t really affect a team with winning tradition like waverly Minford valley or west now a team like northwest or green then it might come into play

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Izladoom wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:35 am

Psychological edge wouldn’t really affect a team with winning tradition like waverly Minford valley or west now a team like northwest or green then it might come into play
Not sure I would throw Minford in there when it comes to Burg. Minford has snatched a few defeats from the jaws of victory over the years. for them its mental I think

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Izladoom wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:35 am

It affects them 90% of the time

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Burg hasn't lost a conference game in 6 plus years, you can't tell me there's no psychological value to that when dealing with kids.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don’t think it does going in. Last year Waverly and Milford were both prepared, but they did have some mental breakdowns toward the end.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

packers80 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 pm Burg hasn't lost a conference game in 6 plus years, you can't tell me there's no psychological value to that when dealing with kids.
I think you're putting it on the wrong ppl. Kids are kids they're in high school for 4 years playing these teams and varsity for shorter time so no I don't buy into that. Coaches I think are where you want to put the psychological value on, as I've seen teams over the years out think themselves or try to do something out of their comfort zone.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ohiosports22 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:51 pm Burg takes the SOC 2 again this year with Waverly coming in a close second.

1. Burg
2. Waverly
3. Minford
4. Oak Hill
5. West
6. Valley

4-6 can be interchangeable.
I may be wrong, but I believe that there are some very lean years coming up for Oak Hill.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I'm not gonna put expectations on a young team, but I will say if West is the 5th best team in this league, then it's a really good league.

Return to “Football”