2020 Logan Elm 48 - 21 Logan

toldya
Freshman Team

Re: WK5 Logan Elm - Logan

Post by toldya »

It has been awhile since I felt the need to post on Logan football. But now is the time. I realize during coach Eddy's reign football has been strange. The problem is it has been STRANGE for every program in the state. I still believe Eddy can turn this program around but man he is getting a late start.

Ok things that are on my mind. First the things I agree with coach Eddy on. After reading Craig Dunn's write up on loganfootball.com, coach mentioned he felt like he was in the "twilight zone". Well coach most Chieftain fans agree this season has a twilight zone feeling. Coach we want the ball in the END ZONE.

MY personal biggest concern in the comments of coach Eddy is mentioning how difficult it is to prepare for a road game this 2020 season. News flash here. Exactly one-half of the teams that play in Ohio are on the road every week. Secondly sadly the Chiefs have managed to lose both at home and on the road.

The coach alludes to the fact the team took the field as if it was a practice. Once again other coaches have figured out how to get their teams to play on the road. I am willing to agree the Chiefs were not ready to play. The problem is when the team is not ready it points a finger at the staff and the staff is lead by the head coach.

I do not have the answers. I do not have to have the answers. I can only point out the facts.

The head coach and staff has to do a better job. As Palidan correctly points out over the years the Chiefs have not always had overwhelming talent but always manged to be competitive. That is not happening this year. The kids deserve better.

Let's go to work. GO CHIEFS!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am Chiefs not only aren’t competitive with their peers, they aren’t even competitive with lesser programs. Forget the talent debate. How good have the coach hires been ? Just because you hire someone doesn’t make it right or correct if you made poor choices.

Logan has athletes. They don’t have To go 10-0 but you should expect .500 or better with decent coaching and they are nowhere near that.

I totally agree, and so will others that don't even put their views/thoughts & opinions on here.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 am
Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am Chiefs not only aren’t competitive with their peers, they aren’t even competitive with lesser programs. Forget the talent debate. How good have the coach hires been ? Just because you hire someone doesn’t make it right or correct if you made poor choices.

Logan has athletes. They don’t have To go 10-0 but you should expect .500 or better with decent coaching and they are nowhere near that.

I totally agree, and so will others that don't even put their views/thoughts & opinions on here.
Man I have been quit about this BUT enough is enough! Start a blog entitled Fire Coach Eddy! :mrgreen:

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am Again, perspective. Since Amyx, they had Wolfe, Burke and now Eddy. Wolfe, who had little talent, they pulled the plug too early on. An outstanding player at Logan, he was a capable Amyx assistant who got promoted. With an empty cupboard, he got run out too quick. Burke, in m mind , was vastly overrated. A star at Lancaster and former college player, he badly mismanaged the program being kept too long while living off his Lancaster/college background. His demise was way over due. Enter Eddy, a coach with no real resume and not much of a record to show , he is on a downhill roll. Chiefs not only aren’t competitive with their peers, they aren’t even competitive with lesser programs. Forget the talent debate. How good have the coach hires been ? Just because you hire someone doesn’t make it right or correct if you made poor choices.

Tell me I’m wrong.
I'll agree with you that Logan should go .500 against the type of schedule it has this season. They are overly dependent on a couple of players and it makes it easy to key on them and shut that offense down. They've went through some injuries that have hindered opening up the offense from watching them a few times.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am Again, perspective. Since Amyx, they had Wolfe, Burke and now Eddy. Wolfe, who had little talent, they pulled the plug too early on. An outstanding player at Logan, he was a capable Amyx assistant who got promoted. With an empty cupboard, he got run out too quick. Burke, in m mind , was vastly overrated. A star at Lancaster and former college player, he badly mismanaged the program being kept too long while living off his Lancaster/college background. His demise was way over due. Enter Eddy, a coach with no real resume and not much of a record to show , he is on a downhill roll. Chiefs not only aren’t competitive with their peers, they aren’t even competitive with lesser programs. Forget the talent debate. How good have the coach hires been ? Just because you hire someone doesn’t make it right or correct if you made poor choices.

Tell me I’m wrong.
No argument on your overall point. I might quibble with a few details here and there, but Logan has had the talent to be better than their record since 2017.

Coach Eddy was the best hire for the applicants in 2019. Which might say more about the state of the program than anything else.

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 am

Tell me I’m wrong.
No argument on your overall point. I might quibble with a few details here and there, but Logan has had the talent to be better than their record since 2017.

Coach Eddy was the best hire for the applicants in 2019. Which might say more about the state of the program than anything else.
Should have reached out just down the road a piece and you could have had a true proven winner. Now you got what you got and have to deal with it. If the move is to look for a new coach you need to take my advice this time.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Gecko wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:35 am Should have reached out just down the road a piece and you could have had a true proven winner. Now you got what you got and have to deal with it. If the move is to look for a new coach you need to take my advice this time.
There are a lot of roads in and out of Logan so hard to know who you are referring too.

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: 2020 Logan Elm 48 - 21 Logan

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm Good point on the applicants, Locos. Of course, it should be noted that the hiring track record hasn’t been stellar. When they could have had Pernod, they screwed that up. The Wolfe hire was another screw up. Everyone knew Amyx was not only leaving to see his son play in college, but that the talent drop off was glaring. Wolfe should have gotten more time to work thru it. Instead , they broke a promising coach . Then followed that with a hire they kept far too long when he wasn’t winning WITH talent. Burke’s reputation rather than his results kept him around far too long.

Applicants see the same thing. If you aren’t running an honest process why would you be surprised with less than stellar candidates ? It’s a two way street.
Also fair points.

The lack of a league really hurt the search process last time. I talked to some coaches about the appeal of the Logan job, and all of them talked about that uncertainty as a reason they would not have applied or discouraged colleagues from applying.

I don't envy the admin at LHS. They are in a tough spot with the lack of a league on all fronts.

Pitstop Billy
Freshman Team

Post by Pitstop Billy »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:37 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm Good point on the applicants, Locos. Of course, it should be noted that the hiring track record hasn’t been stellar. When they could have had Pernod, they screwed that up. The Wolfe hire was another screw up. Everyone knew Amyx was not only leaving to see his son play in college, but that the talent drop off was glaring. Wolfe should have gotten more time to work thru it. Instead , they broke a promising coach . Then followed that with a hire they kept far too long when he wasn’t winning WITH talent. Burke’s reputation rather than his results kept him around far too long.

Applicants see the same thing. If you aren’t running an honest process why would you be surprised with less than stellar candidates ? It’s a two way street.
Also fair points.

The lack of a league really hurt the search process last time. I talked to some coaches about the appeal of the Logan job, and all of them talked about that uncertainty as a reason they would not have applied or discouraged colleagues from applying.

I don't envy the admin at LHS. They are in a tough spot with the lack of a league on all fronts.
How about the PE teacher? He's coached there before with Amyx and even beat Logan a few times when he was coaching against them. That's where I'd start.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Pitstop Billy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:40 pm
How about the PE teacher? He's coached there before with Amyx and even beat Logan a few times when he was coaching against them. That's where I'd start.
Anyone want to use actual names instead of nicknames? I have no idea who "the PE teacher" is.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I have done both, Locos. My first HC job didn’t have a league. It was a roll of the dice scheduling unknowns where you had no JV games to compare with, different sized schools and guessing when they are up or down on talent. That will test your coaching ability. But you build a schedule and play.

Later in a league, it was easier to gauge. And with league games locked up, the search for non league became easier. You still had to coach, lol.

No doubt no league puts Logan in a tough spot. But it hard t argue they are scheduling teams too difficult to play. They are playing down and even against lesser programs they aren’t competitive. With. 4 games left they should be competitive in 3, with only Sheridan outclassing them. I thought they should have won 2, maybe 3 of the first 5. And now 2 or 3 of the last 4. That’s about a .500 record and against mostly lesser programs. 0 and 5 is ridiculous.

Have gun, will travel
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Also fair points.

Also doesn't help Logan is D2 with D4 talent (depth/size of roster compared to other D2 programs). It's virtually impossible to win a playoff game (if you can get there) unless you luck into a favorable matchup or have a stud class.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

Play the game via the players you have to get the most........First.....don't call plays that take the wind out of what you have to get the most.....And you can't tell me it's not the staff that's causing some of the L's.........It's noticeable as night and day.....secondly...... tighten up your secondary to keep getting scored on so easy......third........Work with the line till the run out of sweat in practice......Fourth......have some kinda kicking game.......these squib kicks just about every kick off is just dumb.......As so as the 2 point try's when an extra point kick should be done.......The kids are sure coached in the wrong direction.....common since from the head c only will get you wins when times are tough.......palandin.....I was also informed that they had enough talent to be doing better.......The staff needs to be smarter and better prepared to win.........

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Probably time to wrap this into another thread, but I will chime in. My personal opinion is administration hung on too long to the SEOAL. The writing was on the wall well in advance. All good things must come to an end and I don’t know if that was pride or what that kept us staying. As for coaching hires....per a reputable source whose opinion I value and has reputable knowledge of Logan athletics, the AD is good at the paper stuff, but is not good at the coaching hiring/management stuff. I certainly understand that the hiring process has been multifaceted and we can only hire from the pool of candidates that applies. However, I don’t believe we would be in this position without the forethought I mentioned previously about the league. Just my opinion.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

This topic has been cleaned up some. Try to stay away from posting or quoting anything about getting a coach fired.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:50 pm This topic has been cleaned up some. Try to stay away from posting or quoting anything about getting a coach fired.
Is it out-of-bounds to speculate that a second-year coach may get a “mulligan” on this season given the circumstances of the off-season?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Paladin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:37 pm
Compared that to the schedule now. And they ran Wolfe out of town. Someone wants a “mulligan” ?
I didn’t make a comment, or at least mean to insinuate, on whether one would be warranted. My point rather is I think any district/BoE is going to find themselves between the pit and the pendulum in terms of optics if they decide to non-renew a coach only two seasons in given the second season has been under the circumstances that they were.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

So what is your assessment then @Paladin with Kelly being the offensive coordinator now and the play calling? He may not be the captain of the ship, but he is the first mate and there is culpability on his role with the current situation as well. To be clear, I really like Kelly. I just want some objective discussion.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

I hope this topic will shake up the Coaching staff! :mrgreen:

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

bman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Also fair points.

Also doesn't help Logan is D2 with D4 talent (depth/size of roster compared to other D2 programs). It's virtually impossible to win a playoff game (if you can get there) unless you luck into a favorable matchup or have a stud class.
I have said the same thing for years. D2 school with D4 talent levels. Logan just doesnt have the horses any more like days gone by. I havent made a post about Logan in a looooooooong time bc honestly I am not around the situation at all any more.
Logan has to have a hard time getting any kid to want to come out and play a sport with basically NOTHING to play for. No league no league title and basically just coming out to prepare for a post season against teams that will dominate them any way so I am sure some think "whats the point??"
The kids that play at Logan play because they love the sport they are in and because they want to compete and be with their team mates. Its a very honorable thing to play a sport bc you truly WANT TO BE THERE not because of anything else.

BTW Logan's first 6 football opponents have a combined record of 22-7; including two teams at 5-0 and one at 4-1 and one at 3-1. The schedule isnt as dumbed down as some have made claims on imo.

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Football”