Region 11

MrFirstTake
SE

Re: Region 11

Post by MrFirstTake »

Jackson Football wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:24 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:00 pm
ironman02 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Not sure if I am misunderstanding your post, but Jackson has been to the 3rd round before. They lost the regional final to Zanesville in 2015.

Jackson played in another regional final in 1996, but that was back when there were only four teams per region.

The Ironmen are 8-14 all-time in the OHSAA playoffs currently. They've done pretty well (for SE Ohio) making the playoffs and winning a game every now and then, but obviously need to take that next step and advance further on a more regular basis.
They've done pretty well, agreed. Notice I said at the top of my post "away from home". I did have free front row parking & ticket last year (courtesy of a longtime administrative friend) when I came down last year for the Centennial game but I knew that was going to be a bad night for the Stars (great skill players but low on numbers & especially lineman). The 2015 Bexley game was @ home and the Watterson game was in Chilly I believe (so essentially a home game) . I don't know, maybe I'm skewed in my thinking but the way they've played in the games I've been to over the last few years at or near home and the way they play more than 50 or more miles from home is like night and day to me.
2014 Jackson lost by 10 to a strong desales team , it was a toss up until very late
2015 Jackson beat Bexley and shutout a very hyped up waterson team , before falling to a loaded zanesville
2017 and 2018 Jackson backed into the playoffs and were ousted in round 1
2019 Jackson throttled Centennial and lost to a strong Jonathan Alder , Jackson has some bad miscues but was beat in all phases .

Maybe it to do with advancing in a brutal region and playing betters teams

The million dollar question is how does Jackson get over that hump ?
I remember that Zanesville team well i have watched them every year on storied rivals for a while now them and Olentangy Liberty because i played against them both in school both good schools but Liberty has become really good over the last decade Zanesville is up and down but always have pretty good skilled position players

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Post by Jackson Football »

So Jackson is 5-6 in the brutal region 11 since 2011

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This is certainly a different Jackson team....really not seen a Jackson team like this one. We’ll see how it goes.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 pm Pretty much anytime in the last decade if Tri-Valley drew Jackson I would be jumping up and down. (I graduated from a TVC school.) Not sure how this Jackson team compares to their teams of the past, but this is not a strong TV team. Has some skill players, but not studs all over the field like some recent years.

Sheridan had self-inflicted wounds against TV in the first half. The game could have easily been 60-0- for Sheridan. Sheridan is for real. Better than TV the last 2 years but peed down their leg (TV beat Sheridan 11 times in the last 15 years). Sheridan is good enough to win the region.

Sheridan being that good is no surprise. Have been that way for quite awhile. They are pretty solid Group as well on the hardwood Floor. Hopefully it’s Jackson’s time to get back to the regional championship game.

Sorry about your TVC experience. 😂😂😂
(very much a joke)

Have you watched Tri-Valley any this year ? To say they are down some is quite a statement towards them; as you said;
for the past decade.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Jackson Football wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:32 pm So Jackson is 5-6 in the brutal region 11 since 2011

Could go back to starting with the mid 90s Jackson teams and start asking about the brutal DIII-Region 11. To me one of the hardest regions in all divisions of OH Football. Jackson first ever play-off team was 10-0 and made it to the regional final. Which at that time OHSAA took the top 4 teams ONLY of each region. The top four teams in the region were all 10-0 that year entering week 11. There were oodles of 1990s Jackson team that went 8-2,9-1 and were some of the best football teams in program history that did NOT get to a post season game. If you didn’t go 10-0. You DID NOT make the playoffs prior to the change in playoff rules of now taking the top 8!!!! When that happened. Jackson has become a annual playoff team But still lack a regional championship but that all could change in the next 45/60days!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:36 pm This is certainly a different Jackson team....really not seen a Jackson team like this one. We’ll see how it goes.

If was 1996 and the way the game was played in 1996 in
DIII-Region11 I would be all sorts of worried for the 2020 Ironmen.

But the way the game is played in 2020. Boy I sure like what we are gonna bring to the table! Those kids are the steel dagger they just don’t know it yet , and we need someone to make sure they understand that this year is as good as any for their time. Why wait another year ?? Next years someone else’s year. Make this our year. We got the athletes to run. And do all the things you need to have to win deep in OH Football. Throw a few of em that still will hit ya so hard your ancestors are bruised i sure like the 2020version of Jackson Football!

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I have seen all of Tri-Valley's games this year (so obviously I want them to do well). Most of their games in the 2000s.

The skill players are very talented and can make plays. The line does not have the quantity and quality that TV has had recently. Those kids play very hard, but not being able to play many kids is tough.

Tri-Valley plays John Glenn tomorrow for 2nd place in the big school behind Sheridan. I think TV is still stinging over the Sheridan beatdown. Tomorrow will show if the team can bounce back.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:13 pm I have seen all of Tri-Valley's games this year (so obviously I want them to do well). Most of their games in the 2000s.

The skill players are very talented and can make plays. The line does not have the quantity and quality that TV has had recently. Those kids play very hard, but not being able to play many kids is tough.

Tri-Valley plays John Glenn tomorrow for 2nd place in the big school behind Sheridan. I think TV is still stinging over the Sheridan beatdown. Tomorrow will show if the team can bounce back.

If you don’t care. Elobarote a little more about the 2020 matchup between thornville and TV.....I know the generals have struggled against TV in the past. What is different about the 2020 version of Sheridan. when I watched those boys over at the Convo in Athens in January/February of 2019 (2018 winter season). I thought those kids were a spitting image of the kids from Jackson ?? As a matter of fact. If they swamped here sets. Don’t know if anyone in the convo would have noticed haha. But please. Tell me more about the matchup this year.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I like Andy he does a nice job, good luck to Jackson. Once you get to d3 the game is dominated by catholic schools and it is always nice to see a public school take them down.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

They've done pretty well, agreed. Notice I said at the top of my post "away from home". I did have free front row parking & ticket last year (courtesy of a longtime administrative friend) when I came down last year for the Centennial game but I knew that was going to be a bad night for the Stars (great skill players but low on numbers & especially lineman). The 2015 Bexley game was @ home and the Watterson game was in Chilly I believe (so essentially a home game) . I don't know, maybe I'm skewed in my thinking but the way they've played in the games I've been to over the last few years at or near home and the way they play more than 50 or more miles from home is like night and day to me.
I think the results of those games have more to do with the level of competition, rather than the location of the game.

If Jackson plays at home, they're usually a 10-0 or 9-1 Jackson team and they're playing an opponent that probably isn't as good. If they're playing on the road in the first round, Jackson is probably 7-3 or 8-2 and not the better team. Also, as you move into 2nd and 3rd round games "away from home", the level of competition obviously raises, so it's tough to win those games when you're Jackson.

I think Jackson has a great program for SE Ohio. I am very proud of it. They have won consistently over many decades. But the D3 OHSAA playoffs are not SE Ohio. Jackson has had some success, but not consistent success, and they have not been able to advance to the state semis. Will they one day? I think it's possible because Coach Hall has a good thing going at Jackson, but it's not easy. Jackson beating DeSales or Hartley isn't very likely to happen that often. The Ironmen have played DeSales very tough twice, losing 21-7 in 1996 and 24-14 in 2014 (two of Jackson's very best teams), but they haven't been able to get over the hump.

The only team in recent memory from SE Ohio to have success in the D3 playoffs was Athens, but they had a future Heisman trophy winner and #1 overall selection in the NFL Draft playing QB with other D1 college talent around him. Ironton won D3 back in the day, but it was a bit different than it is now. Tri-Valley has done well advancing to the title game if I remember correctly, but the MVL is consistently way better than the FAC, for example.

Anyway, it's just my opinion. Jackson has a good program. They've won 25 SEOAL titles, 2 FAC titles (hopefully a third tonight) in four years, and they've been to the playoffs 14 times. They're not state title contenders, but it's hard to be that. SE Ohio has won what, 5 state titles ever? Ironton in 1979 and 1989, Burg in 1989 and 2017, NY in 1981.

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:30 pm
teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:13 pm I have seen all of Tri-Valley's games this year (so obviously I want them to do well). Most of their games in the 2000s.

Sheridan scrimmaged Watterson earlier this season. Watterson handled them easily.

AHM
Freshman Team

Post by AHM »

Sheridan scrimmaged Watterson earlier this season. Watterson handled them easily.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Post by Jackson Football »

ironman02 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:04 am
I think the results of those games have more to do with the level of competition, rather than the location of the game.

If Jackson plays at home, they're usually a 10-0 or 9-1 Jackson team and they're playing an opponent that probably isn't as good. If they're playing on the road in the first round, Jackson is probably 7-3 or 8-2 and not the better team. Also, as you move into 2nd and 3rd round games "away from home", the level of competition obviously raises, so it's tough to win those games when you're Jackson.

I think Jackson has a great program for SE Ohio. I am very proud of it. They have won consistently over many decades. But the D3 OHSAA playoffs are not SE Ohio. Jackson has had some success, but not consistent success, and they have not been able to advance to the state semis. Will they one day? I think it's possible because Coach Hall has a good thing going at Jackson, but it's not easy. Jackson beating DeSales or Hartley isn't very likely to happen that often. The Ironmen have played DeSales very tough twice, losing 21-7 in 1996 and 24-14 in 2014 (two of Jackson's very best teams), but they haven't been able to get over the hump.

The only team in recent memory from SE Ohio to have success in the D3 playoffs was Athens, but they had a future Heisman trophy winner and #1 overall selection in the NFL Draft playing QB with other D1 college talent around him. Ironton won D3 back in the day, but it was a bit different than it is now. Tri-Valley has done well advancing to the title game if I remember correctly, but the MVL is consistently way better than the FAC, for example.

Anyway, it's just my opinion. Jackson has a good program. They've won 25 SEOAL titles, 2 FAC titles (hopefully a third tonight) in four years, and they've been to the playoffs 14 times. They're not state title contenders, but it's hard to be that. SE Ohio has won what, 5 state titles ever? Ironton in 1979 and 1989, Burg in 1989 and 2017, NY in 1981.
Spot on. Well said. Jackson always seems to put a good product on the field. The kids play hard whether they’re 10-0 or 5-5. It’s just what’s expected when you play football at Jackson.

Jackson football should be driven by the relentless pursuit of winning that regional championship. That should be the goal of the entire program. Not sure what can be done to get there, a tougher schedule, a more brutal off season workout, a change of style . There will be a chance this year and next couple years to achieve that goal.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Tri-Valley beat John Glenn 41-13 tonight and have Centennial next week while Jackson has 2 weeks of practice after tonight's loss to Chilly. That doesn't bode well for Jackson but it will be a home game.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

It's gonna be a long trip for Athens to Mt Orab next week in more ways than one !!!!!!! They might get 60 put on them. This 2020 season and playoff opt in stuff is crazy. Let's hope next year is more normal.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Tri-Valley had an impressive night. Best they have looked all year. I heard tonight that the coach watched the 2nd half against Sheridan multiple times and players who did not play hard when Sheridan was blowing TV away lost their starting job (pretty much all seniors). Mostly sophomores took their place and it was 14-13 at half. In the 2nd half some of those seniors got subbed in and played lights out. TV won 41-13. I believe TV scored on every drive in the second half.

Sheridan has very good linemen. The skill players are solid. I think they have as good of a chance as anyone to win Region 11. Obviously DeSales and Hartley have the advantage that comes from drawing players from all over central Ohio. And Alter has a really solid team.

Watterson beat Sheridan in a scrimmage. Really. You think that means something? It doesn't.

In 2017, St Vincent St Mary's beat TV 20-14 in week 1. Tri-Valley then beat them 24-7 in the state semi-finals after beating Marion Franklin, Bellefontaine, and Hartley consecutively. Lost in championship by 8 (27-19) to Trotwood Madison.

TV should blow Centennial off the field. After tonight, I like TV's chances against Jackson. (BTW, if I was Jackson I would find a week 7 opponent to keep playing instead of having a week off). Hartley will be a huge favorite over whoever wins.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Since 2010, Tri-Valley has won the MVL 8 times and played in week 12 or beyond 8 times. 2016 a 9-1 team did not make the playoffs and those same group of kids were state runner ups a year later. Last year TV did not make the playoffs at 7-3. 2018 and 2019 TV was coached by Kevin Fell who had no discipline or serious lifting program. Cam West in his first year (was QB for Buttermore in 2005-07 and main asst since 2012) has the program headed in the right direction again. With that said, this year's team would likely lose to any team the last decade except possibly last year's team. BUT those teams were really really good. 2013 and 2014 were good enough teams to win the region, but Burrow ended those seasons.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:11 pm It's gonna be a long trip for Athens to Mt Orab next week in more ways than one !!!!!!! They might get 60 put on them. This 2020 season and playoff opt in stuff is crazy. Let's hope next year is more normal.
Hopefully Moore isn’t out for the season. COVID hit Athens hard this year

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson's loss last night surprised me, but I will say that I did expect a relatively close game. Chillicothe has steadily improved since their opening loss to Wheelersburg and Jackson had not been tested (just a little bit by Trace for a short time). They've been winning by large margins, but I never got the feeling that they were truly playing well. Maybe that sounds silly, but they have shown flashes of greatness, and also flashes of vulnerability.

Maybe Jackson wasn't focused and was looking ahead. Lots of penalties, dropped passes, and various other costly mistakes. Winters wasn't sharp after returning from a hamstring injury, throwing 4 INTs, and at least 3 of those were in the red zone. Hard to sit out for 2-3 weeks during a short season and then not miss a beat though. He has a bright future, so you can count on him using last night as motivation going forward. But the bottom line is that Chillicothe made the plays to win and Jackson didn't. Gotta give them credit.

No FAC title really stings. In four seasons, Jackson is now 17-3 in FAC play, with two of those losses coming in OT and the other one coming after holding a 14-0 lead on Chillicothe prior to Blake McCoy tearing his ACL. One outright title, a shared title, and two second places finishes. Some opportunities definitely left on the table, even though the overall resume is impressive.

Anyway, if the Jackson team that played Chillicothe last night shows up to play Tri-Valley, it won't be pretty. The Ironmen better get focused and put together their best effort of the season if they want to be competitive. This is a Jackson team that does have a lot of talent, some of it still very young, so we'll see how they respond to true adversity.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

teach1coach2 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 amObviously DeSales and Hartley have the advantage that comes from drawing players from all over central Ohio.
That's never been true. DeSales gets northeast side only; Hartley gets southeast side only. And Pickerington has gotten everyone from southeast side since Jerry Francis showed up as "attendance monitor."

Return to “Football”