2020 Valley 15 - 14 Minford

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Re: October 2, 2020 Valley - Minford

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

lineman7 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:53 pm Valley controlled the line of scrimmage on defense and that is why minford couldn't run the ball. Minford was up 14-0 with 6 minutes left but Valley scored within a minute of that. Valley had 5 turnovers and still was right there at the end of the game. Was very exciting game, both teams about equal skill wise, but valley is playing 13-15 sophomores against a bunch of upper classmen... Future is bright for Valley
Minford started 3 freshman but still should’ve won I just can’t believe the play calling still has me mind blown

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats to the Valley Indians on their win over the Minford Falcons.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: 2020 Valley 15 - 14 Minford

Post by mattash »

Valley likes to upset Minford

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Minford has arguably best QB in school history going into his senior year and team ends up with a 2-4 record and last place in SOC II? Definitely did not see this coming for them. Could be some more rough years coming up for Minford with the players they losing.

As for Valley, next 2 years looking pretty good in SOC II and D6*

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Very proud of the Indians and the coaching staff for never giving up.

Most of not all of the staff and kids on that team grew up in Lucasville, played all for the Indians and love the program.

There’s NO question Valley has the talent, they’re just slightly young, but I’m hoping you see the numbers increase a little bit more. Being D6/7 is fine, but it’s be nice to have around 40 kids on the sidelines.

Whatever the case, Valley and their coaching staff always puts the kids 1st and will make the changes needed to ensure success the next few years.

GREAT WIN VALLEY!

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

The problem with Minford is a lot of good athletes don't want to play football, due to the coaching. It's a total s@#* show and everyone knows it. Unless something drastic happens don't look for things to change anytime soon. Currently there are maybe 12 8th graders, 11 7th graders, and 6 6th graders playing football. Coaching staff doesn't plan for anything other than the current season. No "program." Rant over.

SockerBopper
Waterboy

Post by SockerBopper »

Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:16 pm
SockerBopper wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:33 pm
mglight88 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 pm Minford should get back to .500 with a win Friday Night at Valley.
You’ll never see Minford go above .500 with Minford’s inner circle as the coaching staff.
It's not just football either.

And the football team has good assistants. Matiz in particular.
Matiz is a great coach. Would love to see him lead the team, but you have to remember... he’s not in the inner circle.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SMH on this score.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

This game shouldn't have been close but it sounds like the difference was coaching. I'll give Crabtree credit, his kids always play hard, are well prepared and HE makes the correct decisions.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
FourEyes
Waterboy

Post by FourEyes »

MClaw wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am The problem with Minford is a lot of good athletes don't want to play football, due to the coaching. It's a total s@#* show and everyone knows it. Unless something drastic happens don't look for things to change anytime soon. Currently there are maybe 12 8th graders, 11 7th graders, and 6 6th graders playing football. Coaching staff doesn't plan for anything other than the current season. No "program." Rant over.
Agreed!! Time to get rid of Everyone of them, each one has contributed to the poor performance of the team for years!!

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

SockerBopper wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:32 pm

You’ll never see Minford go above .500 with Minford’s inner circle as the coaching staff.

Matiz is a great coach. Would love to see him lead the team, but you have to remember... he’s not in the inner circle.
I think the HC was offered to him when Daniels retired, and he didn't want it. Agreed he is the best coach out there. B/c it's glaringly obvious to anyone who has watched this go on for a few years, I'm not going to go into bashing the coach like a have years before.

To the game, why in the heck was Ruby throwing the ball with 6:00 left and a 14-0 lead? If you think your Oline can't get you a few yards up the middle then use Risner in the Jet, or go 5-wide and run a QB draws. If Minford just burned 30-seconds off the clock they would have sneaked outta there with a win. Passing the ball late in the 4th, going 3-and out, and only burning 30-seconds off in a series is what cost Minford the game.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Put_me_in_coach
Waterboy

Post by Put_me_in_coach »

Hats off to Crabtree and his crew. Gutsy play call at the end and those kids dug in to find a way.
Lots of penalties that cost the Falcons but they probably could’ve called plenty more holds on them all night.
Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

vladimir wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:20 pm

I think the HC was offered to him when Daniels retired, and he didn't want it. Agreed he is the best coach out there. B/c it's glaringly obvious to anyone who has watched this go on for a few years, I'm not going to go into bashing the coach like a have years before.

To the game, why in the heck was Ruby throwing the ball with 6:00 left and a 14-0 lead? If you think your Oline can't get you a few yards up the middle then use Risner in the Jet, or go 5-wide and run a QB draws. If Minford just burned 30-seconds off the clock they would have sneaked outta there with a win. Passing the ball late in the 4th, going 3-and out, and only burning 30-seconds off in a series is what cost Minford the game.
It's a show that we've seen over and over with JR. Blowing a 28pt lead vs Logan from 3 quick throws and out comes to mind. There are others.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Put_me_in_coach wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:36 pm Hats off to Crabtree and his crew. Gutsy play call at the end and those kids dug in to find a way.
Lots of penalties that cost the Falcons but they probably could’ve called plenty more holds on them all night.
For sure. That took some balls.

From what I saw, there were also a lot of holding plays not called on Valley as well. But this one shouldnt have even been close enough to be determined by a few calls here and there.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Yep. HC job needs to change. Might be hard with the AD, Principal and others promoting nepotism all over the school.

Minford has a lot of problems. Not just football and not just sports. There is a lot of stuff hiding under rugs.

I'd like to see Matiz take the job as well and have total control.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MClaw wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am The problem with Minford is a lot of good athletes don't want to play football, due to the coaching. It's a total s@#* show and everyone knows it. Unless something drastic happens don't look for things to change anytime soon. Currently there are maybe 12 8th graders, 11 7th graders, and 6 6th graders playing football. Coaching staff doesn't plan for anything other than the current season. No "program." Rant over.
Minford burns their kids out before they hit high school and that's one of the reasons they stop playing or the top out. They have a youth program that is so worried about winning they hit non-stop, play way to many games and thump their chest when they do well like they've accomplished something. I mean I've spoke with parents talking about how great they are but somehow it has never translated. During that time all they're doing is promoting certain players and letting others fall by the waste side By the time JR High rolls around the numbers start to dwindle and those kids still look good but there isn't enough of them once high school rolls around teams have caught up to them and passed them by. Build a program from the ground up, everyone hates the example but Burg is a prime example, they don't have tackle football until 5th and still then it's kept in house and everything they run at that age group is what the kids will run throughout the entire program.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:37 pm
Put_me_in_coach wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:36 pm Hats off to Crabtree and his crew. Gutsy play call at the end and those kids dug in to find a way.
For sure. That took some balls.

From what I saw, there were also a lot of holding plays not called on Valley as well. But this one shouldnt have even been close enough to be determined by a few calls here and there.
Nothing will ever top the screw job of 1999, that streak was OVER. Phantom call on the Parkes touchdown, among several others.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

2 things about 99

1) Parkes didn't score. Was knocked out of bounds about the 5. Minford would have had one more play from there.

2) I am quite confident a LB was hit in the back (needlessly) about 5-7 yards behind Parkes.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:49 pm
Minford burns their kids out before they hit high school and that's one of the reasons they stop playing or the top out. They have a youth program that is so worried about winning they hit non-stop, play way to many games and thump their chest when they do well like they've accomplished something. I mean I've spoke with parents talking about how great they are but somehow it has never translated. During that time all they're doing is promoting certain players and letting others fall by the waste side By the time JR High rolls around the numbers start to dwindle and those kids still look good but there isn't enough of them once high school rolls around teams have caught up to them and passed them by. Build a program from the ground up, everyone hates the example but Burg is a prime example, they don't have tackle football until 5th and still then it's kept in house and everything they run at that age group is what the kids will run throughout the entire program.
Daniels installed a 4-team inter-squad pee-wee system ad every kid got to play and learn the game. He was there along with varsity players helping to help coach the pee-wee coach and install the same offense and defense the HS ran. Now that he's gone, it went back to the 1-team playing for the Scioto Co Superbowl and I bet Ruby is there on Saturday mornings nor the varsity players helping out when they can. Those years it was a 4-team intrasquad, that when Minford was a tough as nails and having 70-kids come out. We talked about this 20-yrs ago and thought we had it fixed, I guess not.

The 1-team format is a horrific model b/c way too many kids that are late bloomers and the get cut and then gain interest in soccer or focusing primarily on other sports later in the year. I thought Minford had that dumpster fire in the younger grades extinguished, but I guess not. That's thanks to many parents with too big of egos and Ruby let it go on and wanting their 12-yr to run a spread offense instead of just focusing on fundamentals and learning the game. The best thing that can happen for Minford is for Daniels to come outta retirement and get things back to the ways he had them running in the late 2000s.
Last edited by vladimir on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

vladimir wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:49 pm
Daniels installed a 4-team inter-squad pee-wee system ad every kid got to play and learn the game. He was there along with varsity players helping to help coach the pee-wee coach and install the same offense and defense the HS ran. Now that he's gone, it went back to the 1-team playing for the Scioto Co Superbowl and I bet Ruby is there on Saturday mornings nor the varsity players helping out when they can. Those years it was a 4-team intrasquad, that when Minford was a tough as nails and having 70-kids come out. We talked about this 20-yrs ago and thought we had it fixed, I guess not.

The 1-team format is a horrific model b/c way too many kids that are late bloomers and the get cut and then gain interest in soccer or focusing primarily on other sports later in the year. I thought Minford had that dumpster fire in the younger grade extinguished, but I guess not. The best thing that can happen for Minford is for Daniels to come outta retirement and get things back to the ways he had them running in the late 2000s.
Well said.

Return to “Football”