2020 Valley 15 - 14 Minford

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: 2020 Valley 15 - 14 Minford

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Ruby’s current overall record is 24-23 with a 1-12 record against teams with a winning record in that span. They’ve had some really good athletes since he’s been there but it hasn’t formulated into the W-L column. He’s been there for 5 seasons now with little to show. Following Daniels would be a tough act for any coach to follow. If Daniels was building fundamentals at the lower levels and Ruby is not, it’s definitely reflective in their W-L differential.

As for the game, Valley’s coaching staff puts their team in the right position to win. The play calling in the last 5-7 minutes of the game shows that. Plus, great execution by Valley. Lost 4 or 5 fumbles and yet won the game.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Talk Daniels back into coaching. His kids play in college in the winter and spring. He is not close to retiring from teaching yet. Daniels could use that money to improve his retirement. You can't retire from teaching now until you are 60.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:47 pm Ruby’s current overall record is 24-23 with a 1-12 record against teams with a winning record in that span. They’ve had some really good athletes since he’s been there but it hasn’t formulated into the W-L column. He’s been there for 5 seasons now with little to show. Following Daniels would be a tough act for any coach to follow. If Daniels was building fundamentals at the lower levels and Ruby is not, it’s definitely reflective in their W-L differential.

As for the game, Valley’s coaching staff puts their team in the right position to win. The play calling in the last 5-7 minutes of the game shows that. Plus, great execution by Valley. Lost 4 or 5 fumbles and yet won the game.
Putting that record out there really puts things in perspective I didn't realize it was that bad. To top it off these last 2 years were supposed to be the years Minford took that leap with the players they had in place and it was never done. It's one thing to have that with avg teams but to say we're loaded and it's time to win one and you fall flat on your face 2 years in a row has to be tough on those in Muletown.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:24 pm
vladimir wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:20 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:49 pm

Minford burns their kids out before they hit high school and that's one of the reasons they stop playing or the top out. They have a youth program that is so worried about winning they hit non-stop, play way to many games and thump their chest when they do well like they've accomplished something. I mean I've spoke with parents talking about how great they are but somehow it has never translated. During that time all they're doing is promoting certain players and letting others fall by the waste side By the time JR High rolls around the numbers start to dwindle and those kids still look good but there isn't enough of them once high school rolls around teams have caught up to them and passed them by. Build a program from the ground up, everyone hates the example but Burg is a prime example, they don't have tackle football until 5th and still then it's kept in house and everything they run at that age group is what the kids will run throughout the entire program.
Daniels installed a 4-team inter-squad pee-wee system and every kid got to play and learn the game. He was there along with varsity players helping to help coach the pee-wee coaches and installed the same offense and defense the HS ran. Now that he's gone, it went back to the 1-team playing for the Scioto Co Superbowl, and I bet Ruby isn't there on Saturday mornings nor the varsity players helping out when they can. Those years it was a 4-team intrasquad, that's when Minford was a tough as nails, having 70-kids come out for the HS team. We talked about this 20-yrs ago and thought we had it fixed, I guess not. This Sr. class went undefeated in all of their Jr high years, and now last place in the SOCII.

The 1-team format in pee-wee is a horrific model b/c way too many kids that are late bloomers, they get cut and then gain interest in soccer or focusing primarily on other sports later in the year. I thought Minford had that dumpster fire in the younger grades extinguished, but I guess not. The best thing that can happen for Minford is for Daniels to come outta retirement and get things back to the ways he had them running in the late 2000s. Minford can only hope.
Well said.
I edited a bit there, but you get the point.

Greygoose: When you've seen these kids play to a much higher level, it's frustrating to watch.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:47 pm Ruby’s current overall record is 24-23 with a 1-12 record against teams with a winning record in that span. They’ve had some really good athletes since he’s been there but it hasn’t formulated into the W-L column. He’s been there for 5 seasons now with little to show. Following Daniels would be a tough act for any coach to follow. If Daniels was building fundamentals at the lower levels and Ruby is not, it’s definitely reflective in their W-L differential.

Ruby 1-12 against teams with winning records, last place with a Sr class that went undefeated in all of their jr. high years, and 1-4 against Oak Hill, enough said! It's time to sound the alarm.
Last edited by vladimir on Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

vladimir wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:10 am

Ruby 1-12 against team with wining records, last place with a Sr class that went undefeated in all of their jr. high years and 1-4 against Oak Hill, enough said! It's time to sound the alarm.
Agreed, but you can sound the alarm through a bullhorn and the people pulling the strings at Minford wont care.

The board doesnt deal with coaches (from their mouth), the AD is his wife (so he is not getting canned) and Ruby isnt a bad guy (so he isnt going to do something stupid to get fired) just a bad HC......

So not sure who is going to make this happen. That's the thing about nepotism in the public employment sector. Once there, it's hard to get rid of because the string pullers are all in on it.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Valley had 5-turnoves and Ruby still cannot win? Image

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:35 am
vladimir wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:10 am

Ruby 1-12 against teams with winning records, last place with a Sr class that went undefeated in all of their jr. high years and 1-4 against Oak Hill, enough said! It's time to sound the alarm.
Agreed, but you can sound the alarm through a bullhorn and the people pulling the strings at Minford wont care.

The board doesnt deal with coaches (from their mouth), the AD is his wife (so he is not getting canned) and Ruby isnt a bad guy (so he isnt going to do something stupid to get fired) just a bad HC......

So not sure who is going to make this happen. That's the thing about nepotism in the public employment sector. Once there, it's hard to get rid of because the string pullers are all in on it.
Now I know why you moved your family to Ironton. I can't say I blame ya one bit my friend. Also, no one ever said he's a "Bad guy," he's just a HC that goes 1-12 against teams with winning records, and can't win against a team that had 5-turnovers. You are also correct about nepotism, and that's why you never see it in successful programs. SMH!

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

So in reality, Ruby stays until he decides to step down. Good gig if you can get it!

Message Board Hero
Waterboy

Post by Message Board Hero »

I understand the frustration from the Minford faithful, because that was a game you should have won.

But, I really have to give it to Valley here. This team has had a rough few weeks. Last week they dealt with a terrible tragedy and took a pretty good beating at Burg. For them to bounce back and play as hard as they did even when it looked like they didn't have a chance really says something about those kids. I was so impressed with the play of the defensive line and secondary Friday because those two areas have not been good for Valley this season. Offensively when you see a sophomore QB, sophomore and freshman RB, and two sophomore WRs making plays you have to feel good as a Valley fan... also, the offensive line did a great job on those little screen passes.

I think Valley can win a playoff game or two. I heard Coach Crabtree on the radio and he seemed confident that playing schools Valley's size would be a welcome sight the next few weeks.

SockerBopper
Waterboy

Post by SockerBopper »

MClaw wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am The problem with Minford is a lot of good athletes don't want to play football, due to the coaching. It's a total s@#* show and everyone knows it. Unless something drastic happens don't look for things to change anytime soon. Currently there are maybe 12 8th graders, 11 7th graders, and 6 6th graders playing football. Coaching staff doesn't plan for anything other than the current season. No "program." Rant over.
Minford burns their kids out before they hit high school and that's one of the reasons they stop playing or the top out. They have a youth program that is so worried about winning they hit non-stop, play way to many games and thump their chest when they do well like they've accomplished something. I mean I've spoke with parents talking about how great they are but somehow it has never translated. During that time all they're doing is promoting certain players and letting others fall by the waste side By the time JR High rolls around the numbers start to dwindle and those kids still look good but there isn't enough of them once high school rolls around teams have caught up to them and passed them by. Build a program from the ground up, everyone hates the example but Burg is a prime example, they don't have tackle football until 5th and still then it's kept in house and everything they run at that age group is what the kids will run throughout the entire program.
Daniels installed a 4-team inter-squad pee-wee system ad every kid got to play and learn the game. He was there along with varsity players helping to help coach the pee-wee coach and install the same offense and defense the HS ran. Now that he's gone, it went back to the 1-team playing for the Scioto Co Superbowl and I bet Ruby is there on Saturday mornings nor the varsity players helping out when they can. Those years it was a 4-team intrasquad, that when Minford was a tough as nails and having 70-kids come out. We talked about this 20-yrs ago and thought we had it fixed, I guess not.

The 1-team format is a horrific model b/c way too many kids that are late bloomers and the get cut and then gain interest in soccer or focusing primarily on other sports later in the year. I thought Minford had that dumpster fire in the younger grades extinguished, but I guess not. That's thanks to many parents with too big of egos and Ruby let it go on and wanting their 12-yr to run a spread offense instead of just focusing on fundamentals and learning the game. The best thing that can happen for Minford is for Daniels to come outta retirement and get things back to the ways he had them running in the late 2000s.
Daniels is just another piece of that inner circle.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

SockerBopper wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Daniels installed a 4-team inter-squad pee-wee system and every kid got to play and learn the game. He was there along with varsity players to help coach the pee-wee coaches and instaledl the same offense and defense the HS ran. Now that he's gone, it went back to the 1-team playing for the Scioto Co Superbowl and I bet Ruby isn't there on Saturday mornings nor the varsity players helping out when they can. Those years it was a 4-team intrasquad, that is when Minford was a tough as nails and having 70-kids come out. We talked about this 20-yrs ago and thought we had it fixed, I guess not.

The 1-team format is a horrific model b/c way too many kids that are late bloomers get cut and then gain interest in soccer or focusing primarily on other sports later in the year. I thought Minford had that dumpster fire in the younger grades extinguished, but I guess not. That's thanks to many parents with too big of egos and Ruby let it go on and wanting their 12-yr to run a spread offense instead of just focusing on fundamentals and learning the game. The best thing that can happen for Minford is for Daniels to come outta retirement and get things back to the ways he had them running in the late 2000s.

Daniels is just another piece of that inner circle.
What makes you say that?

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

vladimir wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:38 am Valley had 5-turnoves and Ruby still cannot win? Image
PDT had Valley for 4 fumbles and two lost. Still though, for any team to lose the turnover battle and win is still incredible.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:47 pm As for the game, Valley’s coaching staff puts their team in the right position to win. The play calling in the last 5-7 minutes of the game shows that. Plus, great execution by Valley. Lost 4 or 5 fumbles and yet won the game.
You said 4 or 5 fumbles any INTs? Still with Valley at -2, it’s still less than a 22% of winning, and blowing a 14-0 lead with 6:00 left in the game. Abysmal!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Maybe Minford needs to look into somehow moving the Burg game from being the first SOC game each year. How many times has Minford came into the Burg game undefeated only to lose to Burg and it seems like after that, Minford's season is over. It's like just because they lose to Burg they have nothing more to play for.

Talking about the peewee program, Burg's peewee program has been the same since the early 70's. 4-6 teams participate in the 5th and 6th grade level putting about 60-80 kids on the football field. Sure, they lose a few of those kids by the time the get to HS but the kids that stay are learning the Burg's way of playing the game. All of the teams are coached by ex players. They play amongst themselves every Saturday. Burg has never played in the Scioto Co Bowl.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:18 am Maybe Minford needs to look into somehow moving the Burg game from being the first SOC game each year. How many times has Minford came into the Burg game undefeated only to lose to Burg and it seems like after that, Minford's season is over. It's like just because they lose to Burg they have nothing more to play for.

Talking about the peewee program, Burg's peewee program has been the same since the early 70's. 4-6 teams participate in the 5th and 6th grade level putting about 60-80 kids on the football field. Sure, they lose a few of those kids by the time the get to HS but the kids that stay are learning the Burg's way of playing the game. All of the teams are coached by ex players. They play amongst themselves every Saturday. Burg has never played in the Scioto Co Bowl.
And Burg's pee wee format is still the best in the area. Burg's high school and junior high coaches are both involved in the pee wee program and kids all the way down to 3rd grade are learning the same system they'll be running in high school.

Valley the only other school in Scioto County with a similar format that I know of. Other schools that have the numbers to do so (Minford, West, Northwest, Portsmouth, etc.) should all be doing their own pee wee leagues. But just like all stars in little league baseball, the enticement of a Pee Wee Super Bowl championship is apparently too much to overcome for these other programs.*

Swayze
Riding the Bench

Post by Swayze »

I believe Minford started the home league in the early 2000's. I think Daniels first year Seniors were the first group to come through that system or at least play in it. Why they went away from it I have no idea.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

Swayze wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:53 am I believe Minford started the home league in the early 2000's. I think Daniels first year Seniors were the first group to come through that system or at least play in it. Why they went away from it I have no idea.
You are correct and because Ruby lost control of it to a bunch of parents who don’t know football and only care about a dumb pee wee super bowl

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:14 am
Swayze wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:53 am I believe Minford started the home league in the early 2000's. I think Daniels first year Seniors were the first group to come through that system or at least play in it. Why they went away from it I have no idea.
You are correct and because Ruby lost control of it to a bunch of parents who don’t know football and only care about a dumb pee wee super bowl
ding ding ding, we have a winner!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

If the numbers above are even close to accurate regarding Minford's football numbers in 6th-8th grade, some more rough years are coming for them in D5 football. Like others have said, you can't have one pee wee team with 30-35 kids and only 15 of them getting playing time. My suspicion (again, if those numbers are accurate) is that we are now seeing that the 15-20 kids who were relegated to the sidelines in pee wees said "to heck with football" once they got to junior high.*

Return to “Football”