CATHOLIC CHAMPS 2020 ? (38.5% OF FIELD LEFT)

Ff3233
All Conference

Re: CATHOLIC CHAMPS 2020 ? (25% OF FIELD LEFT)

Post by Ff3233 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:07 am Percentage went up to 38% this week from 25% left last week and 2 of those losses by Hartley and Ursuline were to Lake Catholic and DeSales.

Still left:

D1 - X
D2 - Hoban, LaSalle
D3 - DeSales, Alter (play each other this week)
D4 - Lake Catholic
D5 - Roger Bacon
D6 - --------
D7 - NC, JFK (play each other this week), LCC

(26 teams left, 10 Catholics, 38.5%)
Isn't Cincinnati St Xavier playing in d1 championship?

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Ff3233 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:04 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:07 am Percentage went up to 38% this week from 25% left last week and 2 of those losses by Hartley and Ursuline were to Lake Catholic and DeSales.

Still left:

D1 - X
D2 - Hoban, LaSalle
D4 - Lake Catholic
D5 - Roger Bacon
D6 - --------

Isn't Cincinnati St Xavier playing in d1 championship?
Oh, thats probably what the x stands for duh

TCAT1000+
Waterboy

Re: CATHOLIC CHAMPS 2020 ? (38.5% OF FIELD LEFT)

Post by TCAT1000+ »

Just curious. What is the percentage of Catholic schools in the state? What is the percentage of private schools in the state that football?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

TCAT1000+ wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:12 pm Just curious. What is the percentage of Catholic schools in the state? What is the percentage of private schools in the state that football?
709 11-man football teams this year, 7% Catholic

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:49 pm
TCAT1000+ wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:12 pm Just curious. What is the percentage of Catholic schools in the state? What is the percentage of private schools in the state that football?
The OHSAA website states 709 schools that are registered for 11 man football but when you total the actual number of schools that are listed within each region that number is 661.

Anyone know why there would be a difference of 48 like this?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

nc green wave wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:22 am
The OHSAA website states 709 schools that are registered for 11 man football but when you total the actual number of schools that are listed within each region that number is 661.

The one's that opted out of the playoffs maybe ?

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:37 pm

I believe you are correct as what I was looking at shows posted on 9/18 and reposted 9/23. Below that is another link that in fact shows those 709 schools. But what is odd is that Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans does not appear in the 709 but they do in the 661. If I remember correctly, they were going to be 6 man football before the season started so maybe at some point that changed. Regardless, after looking at both links it appears that "Catholic" schools are approximately 7.5% - 7.8% so you were correct.

Oh, and just noticed your marine tagline......Thank you for your service and Happy Veteran's Day!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

nc green wave wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 pm

I believe you are correct as what I was looking at shows posted on 9/18 and reposted 9/23. Below that is another link that in fact shows those 709 schools. But what is odd is that Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans does not appear in the 709 but they do in the 661. If I remember correctly, they were going to be 6 man football before the season started so maybe at some point that changed. Regardless, after looking at both links it appears that "Catholic" schools are approximately 7.5% - 7.8% so you were correct.

Oh, and just noticed your marine tagline......Thank you for your service and Happy Veteran's Day!
Bishop Rosecrans was going to be 8-man again this year, however as soon as the season got shortened by OHSAA they switched back to 11-man. That’s why they’re not included as being 11-man in the original 709 count.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Archbishop Pickerington has become the best program in all of Ohio

TCAT1000+
Waterboy

Post by TCAT1000+ »

Will be interesting to see if the percentage goes up. 7% of the total holding number schools and having 38% left in Playoffs could be great and/or alarming depending on how you look at it.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

nc green wave wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 pm Archbishop Pickerington has become the best program in all of Ohio
Now, now it's the biggest magnet here on the SE side and Harvest Prep is the smallest with Hartley in the middle. That's the plan, right ? You gotta have large, medium and small sports powers to keep it evened out !!!!! :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:14 pm Now, now it's the biggest magnet here on the SE side and Harvest Prep is the smallest with Hartley in the middle. That's the plan, right ? You gotta have large, medium and small sports powers to keep it evened out !!!!! :lol:
The new bypass gave Pickerington a new recruiting area in Athens. They have picked up 3 recruits from Athens :lol:

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:11 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:14 pm Now, now it's the biggest magnet here on the SE side and Harvest Prep is the smallest with Hartley in the middle. That's the plan, right ? You gotta have large, medium and small sports powers to keep it evened out !!!!! :lol:
The new bypass gave Pickerington a new recruiting area in Athens. They have picked up 3 recruits from Athens :lol:
Yep, new 33 saves me another 1/2 hr travel time when going back down home to see family.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Still left:

D1 - X
D2 - Hoban, LaSalle
D4 - Lake Catholic
D5 - Roger Bacon
D6 - --------

This is why I say . . . There's nothing to argue about. The numbers speak for themselves. It's more a matter of figuring out what the advantages may be. The question of whether they exist or not is rather evident from the numbers.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

It's always interesting to me that when you look at the percentages of privates that qualify for the playoffs each year it's not anywhere close as lopsided as it is when we get to the final 4 or finals. It's usually not much higher than the total makeup of privates overall.

So if privates have such an advantage then shouldn't the percentage be that lopsided when looking at who qualifies before looking at who advances?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

nc green wave wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:45 am It's always interesting to me that when you look at the percentages of privates that qualify for the playoffs each year it's not anywhere close as lopsided as it is when we get to the final 4 or finals. It's usually not much higher than the total makeup of privates overall.

So if privates have such an advantage then shouldn't the percentage be that lopsided when looking at who qualifies before looking at who advances?
Harbins favors public schools since it doesnt use the third level points. Beating Chillicothe is worth almost the same as beating Desales

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

nc green wave wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:45 am It's always interesting to me that when you look at the percentages of privates that qualify for the playoffs each year it's not anywhere close as lopsided as it is when we get to the final 4 or finals. It's usually not much higher than the total makeup of privates overall.

Most of the Catholics annually schedule tougher games and/or with bigger schools that are more competitive and usually are pretty good teams whether in conference or out and can afford to lose 3,4 or sometimes even 5 to get in the playoffs and with 12 teams per region starting next year this will help them even more than many publics who will be seeded higher with gaudy records but have played weak schedules. I already feel sorry for some of the public top 4 seeds from here on out that get byes in rd. 1 and have to play a Catholic that was seeded 5-12 and already have a win under their belts while the 1-4 sits for 2 weeks awaiting the winner in rd.2. 8-)

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Most of the Catholics annually schedule tougher games and/or with bigger schools that are more competitive and usually are pretty good teams whether in conference or out and can afford to lose 3,4 or sometimes even 5 to get in the playoffs and with 12 teams per region starting next year this will help them even more than many publics who will be seeded higher with gaudy records but have played weak schedules. I already feel sorry for some of the public top 4 seeds from here on out that get byes in rd. 1 and have to play a Catholic that was seeded 5-12 and already have a win under their belts while the 1-4 sits for 2 weeks awaiting the winner in rd.2. 8-)
Are you saying this is why you think more Catholic school advance farther in the playoffs versus publics? Or are you saying that more Catholic schools do not qualify because they schedule too difficult and end up with not enough points?

I don't disagree with what you are saying and this is not restricted to only private schools. Publics can schedule the same way.

It makes me think of the previous years when less and less teams got in and you would have an undefeated not get in due to a very weak schedule.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

nc green wave wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Are you saying this is why you think more Catholic school advance farther in the playoffs versus publics? Or are you saying that more Catholic schools do not qualify because they schedule too difficult and end up with not enough points?

I don't disagree with what you are saying and this is not restricted to only private schools. Publics can schedule the same way.

It makes me think of the previous years when less and less teams got in and you would have an undefeated not get in due to a very weak schedule.
1.) Yes 2.) Previously yes, with 12 teams next year, no problems. 3.) More public's will start doing it now with expanded format and 4.) weak schedules will always be a problem for some schools.

Return to “Football”