2021 LOGAN CHIEFTAINS FOOTBALL

Titletown TVC
JV Team

Re: 2021 LOGAN CHIEFTAINS FOOTBALL

Post by Titletown TVC »

footballfan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:16 pm I had NY varsity 3 scores Logan 0.
Jv logan 3 ny 1.
Ouch! I know it's early but if they struggled against D-6 Nelsonville I hate to think what D-6 powerhouse Fort Frye will do to them. Let alone Jackson. Could be another long year for Logan.

The road to the TVC crown runs through Reedsville!
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:02 am
Thanos wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:22 pm They have a lot of work before Jackson… Jackson will smell that out and hold us to negative yards rushing. I’m sure these things will get corrected this week.
Sadly Jackson is on a whole different level as a program from Logan right now. That's the measuring stick.

Logan's first time running the wing-t in live 11 on 11 action. I would guess signalling will get more deceptive as they get comfortable.

FWIW - I believe Logan has never ran the Wing-T as it's primary offense in school history - which would be pretty rare, especially for a SE Ohio school. I think it makes sense for the personnel in the program. QB's legs should be a part of the game plan.
Not so fast, Locos. During the Mel Adams reign, we ran the Iowa Wing T, which was quite the rage in the Big 10. Then we shifted the HBs from a Wing Right formation to Wing Left and vice versa. Each back only had to move a few steps each to shift from one power formation to another. We also lined up and ran without shifting so Ds did not know what to expect. Drove Ds crazy as they couldn’t get shifted to the power side quick enough. Had the bootleg action off many plays as well as motion. Lots of double teams at the point of attack for power as well. Passing was play action off running plays. Mel ran this for about 4 years and was the main O. While it featured power football, it was speed and deception that made our success.
Last edited by Paladin on Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:13 pm
Thanos wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:22 pm They have a lot of work before Jackson… Jackson will smell that out and hold us to negative yards rushing. I’m sure these things will get corrected this week.
Sadly Jackson is on a whole different level as a program from Logan right now. That's the measuring stick.

Logan's first time running the wing-t in live 11 on 11 action. I would guess signalling will get more deceptive as they get comfortable.

FWIW - I believe Logan has never ran the Wing-T as it's primary offense in school history - which would be pretty rare, especially for a SE Ohio school. I think it makes sense for the personnel in the program. QB's legs should be a part of the game plan.
Not so fast, Locos. During the Mel Adams reign, we ran the Iowa Wing T, which was quite the rage in the Big 10. Then we shifted the HBs from a Wing Right formation to Wing Left and vice versa. Each back only had to move a few steps each to shift from one power formation to another. Drove Ds crazy as they couldn’t get shifted to the power side quick enough. Had the bootleg action off many plays as well as motion. Lots of double teams for power as well. Passing was play action off running plays. Mel ran this for about 4 years and was the main O.
Weird you mention this, Paladin. My uncle was talking about this the other day. Ole Mel was one hell of a coach they was saying.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

At the time I was in school the lower grades didn't do that well, but when Mel got a hold of them he made them a lot better. When I was in the 8th, them and the 9th grade were not very good. As Jrs and Srs they went 10 and 0 and was at one time, I think, was rank in the top 10 in Div. I when there was only 3 divisions.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Is the Marietta scrimmage still on for this Friday night? I read the freshmen game was called off.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Not so fast, Locos. During the Mel Adams reign, we ran the Iowa Wing T, which was quite the rage in the Big 10. Then we shifted the HBs from a Wing Right formation to Wing Left and vice versa. Each back only had to move a few steps each to shift from one power formation to another. Drove Ds crazy as they couldn’t get shifted to the power side quick enough. Had the bootleg action off many plays as well as motion. Lots of double teams for power as well. Passing was play action off running plays. Mel ran this for about 4 years and was the main O.
Weird you mention this, Paladin. My uncle was talking about this the other day. Ole Mel was one hell of a coach they was saying.
When Mel left Logan to be Zanesvilles HC, he used this O there. When I went to Rosecrans in Zanesville, Mel was leaving but I used some of his O . We were going to an I formation O in year 2 and also shifted out to split backs to run the Veer.

Have gun, will travel
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Not so fast, Locos. During the Mel Adams reign, we ran the Iowa Wing T, which was quite the rage in the Big 10. Then we shifted the HBs from a Wing Right formation to Wing Left and vice versa. Each back only had to move a few steps each to shift from one power formation to another. We also lined up and ran without shifting so Ds did not know what to expect. Drove Ds crazy as they couldn’t get shifted to the power side quick enough. Had the bootleg action off many plays as well as motion. Lots of double teams at the point of attack for power as well. Passing was play action off running plays. Mel ran this for about 4 years and was the main O. While it featured power football, it was speed and deception that made our success.
I had always heard Mel’s offense described as a “slot T” - so maybe it’s semantics.

George Hummel gave me a good run down on Mel’s offense and the importance Jim Brandt played as the “blocking” back in their success during the unbeaten ‘64 season.

He said Brandt knew the offense so well that he could correct mistakes by his teammates.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Well you have a coach who really understands the wing T and how to coach it. I will say coach Eddy will morph the offense to the talent he has. The biggest thing that will take the most time is he really loves to run QB read option out of wing T so until the QB gets really good at that it slows down the offense quite a bit. But they will over block the point of attack and will have a few things up their sleeve for jackson. During his time at gallia academy even during the 10 summer practices the boys had. They would spend 10 to 15 minutes at each working on jackson and jackson was game 10 on the schedule.

And yes the offense is very predictable but i would say to you most offenses are very predictable that is why it is all about execution and having tendency breakers.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

This stuff right here is what's best about the Wing T. You can run anything out of it. Them teams that say they run the "spread" well you can do that in the Wing T to. That thing Paladine was talking about you can do that in the Wing T to. So you are all right because if you run the Wing T it don't matter what you really run you can still call it the Wing T. That right there is why it's the best offense and yes it is unstoppable if you know what yer doin and you call the plays right. And coach Eddy surely does know what he's doin so once they get that ther QB going they be winnin.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:36 pm Is the Marietta scrimmage still on for this Friday night? I read the freshmen game was called off.
Varsity yes but no freshmen per people in charge

Live Like A Champion!
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 pm

I had always heard Mel’s offense described as a “slot T” - so maybe it’s semantics.

George Hummel gave me a good run down on Mel’s offense and the importance Jim Brandt played as the “blocking” back in their success during the unbeaten ‘64 season.

He said Brandt knew the offense so well that he could correct mistakes by his teammates.

Mel ran a Wing T - double tight ends with a wingback on one side. The slot, which he didn’t run, had a gap between the OT and the TE in which the slotback lined up. It could be a short slot with a 3 yd gap or a wide slot with the end split out 10,15 yards or more with the slotback tight to the OT. However, many were starting to move out of T formations and into various I formations ,which was just coming into vogue. I knew both Hummel and Brandt but was at college then.

Have gun, will travel
Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

Yea bud all that is still the Wing T if thats what yer main offense is. My good buddy Tommy Smith tells me his contacts in Logan is sayin this team is really geared fer the Wing T. Its great that coach Eddy sees that and made the switch. But I say all teams is geared for the Wing T if you run it right and call the plays right. Like they sayin on here you can run anything out of it. And if you get them lineman's hindsides hittin the floor when they squattin you can run them double tites and blow em off the ball all night.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Many teams starting using Monster Ds to counter the power off tackle and power sweep plays in the Wing. That meant that they stopped playing the Oklahoma 5-4-2 D and had to move a S up to the line as a SS rather than play S lined up deep. When the shift was made, many couldn’t shift the Monster quick enough and were vulnerable to counter plays as they tried to quickly move to the new power side getting caught leaving the D weak for counters away from the new monster side.

This in turn caused Ds to start slanting and looping down linemen that played havoc with line blocking rules and blew up plays. Blitzing LBs also caused havoc on the run game.

All things considered, with equal talent, Spread Os are harder to defend than wing Ts. It stretches the field horizontally and vertically and makes it hard to account for the QB. My 2 cents.

Have gun, will travel
Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

My favorite thing bout the Wing T is you can run the spread out of it. A few years back we ran 3 receivers to one side and one on the other out of it. Everything stays the same so you don't have to change to a different offense. We even ran shotgun out of it and kept everything the same. Ther aint no other offense you can do that with that I heard of. Thats why we always run the Wing T.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Wings Teaford wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:12 pm My favorite thing bout the Wing T is you can run the spread out of it. A few years back we ran 3 receivers to one side and one on the other out of it. Everything stays the same so you don't have to change to a different offense. We even ran shotgun out of it and kept everything the same. Ther aint no other offense you can do that with that I heard of. Thats why we always run the Wing T.

That sounds like Varsity Blues and the oopty oop :shock: :lol:

Live Like A Champion!
MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Logangrad wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:25 pm
Wings Teaford wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:12 pm My favorite thing bout the Wing T is you can run the spread out of it. A few years back we ran 3 receivers to one side and one on the other out of it. Everything stays the same so you don't have to change to a different offense. We even ran shotgun out of it and kept everything the same. Ther aint no other offense you can do that with that I heard of. Thats why we always run the Wing T.

I was going to say the same thing. Those Wing-t guys are twisted like that. They think every offense ever created is a spinoff of it. No, if you run a trips open formation and run a three step game out of it that isn't the Wing-t. :lol:

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

What i would say is if you consider the Wing T just a formation you are right you cant run anything out of it. But if you talk and read a lot of spread offenses if you read and research them they were created out of the wing T. I think of the wing T as more of a blocking philosophy more then the formation that look behind it. But when gallia academy ran the wing T the last year we ran a ton of what they called double aces. which is basically a 4 wide set.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Logangrad wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

svac83 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:50 pm What i would say is if you consider the Wing T just a formation you are right you cant run anything out of it. But if you talk and read a lot of spread offenses if you read and research them they were created out of the wing T. I think of the wing T as more of a blocking philosophy more then the formation that look behind it. But when gallia academy ran the wing T the last year we ran a ton of what they called double aces. which is basically a 4 wide set.
If you're going to apply that logic then you could say the same for pretty much any offense. I mean, isn't a 5 wide formation just the I with the FB and TB spread out? Or the split back veer with both HB's split out? No, they are not the same. Some folks will say, "well we run the same blocking schemes..." Well they are the same blocking schemes every offense runs: down blocks, double team, dub and rub, traps etc... If you run FB trap, buck sweep, play action pass such as waggle, etc... then to me you're running the Wing t. But if you're running quick passing game, QB draws, and RPO's that's not the Wing t no matter if Dave Nelson even Tubby Raymond himself claims it is. :lol:

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

MarauderMadness wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:40 pm
svac83 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:50 pm What i would say is if you consider the Wing T just a formation you are right you cant run anything out of it. But if you talk and read a lot of spread offenses if you read and research them they were created out of the wing T. I think of the wing T as more of a blocking philosophy more then the formation that look behind it. But when gallia academy ran the wing T the last year we ran a ton of what they called double aces. which is basically a 4 wide set.
If you're going to apply that logic then you could say the same for pretty much any offense. I mean, isn't a 5 wide formation just the I with the FB and TB spread out? Or the split back veer with both HB's split out? No, they are not the same. Some folks will say, "well we run the same blocking schemes..." Well they are the same blocking schemes every offense runs: down blocks, double team, dub and rub, traps etc... If you run FB trap, buck sweep, play action pass such as waggle, etc... then to me you're running the Wing t. But if you're running quick passing game, QB draws, and RPO's that's not the Wing t no matter if Dave Nelson even Tubby Raymond himself claims it is. :lol:
Tubby was the master of Wing T football at Delaware. Wing T, double wings,slot and double slots, etc. Much of blocking schemes fit most Os. Most of the college game today eliminated rule blocking to go to zone schemes. The run game becomes 4or5 base plays and a sophisticated pass game with passing trees, QB run/pass options and limited play action. That’s not the case with most of h.s. Ball.

Have gun, will travel

Return to “Football”