Ironton 20 Fairland 14 OT 2021

Ironmen98
All State

Re: Week 3 Fairland @ Ironton

Post by Ironmen98 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:15 pm
pembrook burrows III wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:32 pm The challenge facing the Fighting Tigers and Coach Pendleton is to find both a coordinated plan and consistent execution on offense. Unlike the past two years, Reid Carrico isn't walking through that door to disguise what has been a persistent problem with the offensive side of the ball in Ironton.

Coach Pendleton has been outstanding in bringing the Tiger program back to the forefront of southeastern Ohio football. He is a tireless worker, and he demands the same from his players. The strength and conditioning program he has instituted alone makes Ironton a force to be reckoned with. Upon this foundation, he has built a very sturdy defense that can dominate most teams in DV within the region. He has used his connections to expose Ironton players to numerous college football programs and the scholarship opportunities those bring. Coach Pendleton has re-energized community support, which is among the best in the area. And, as many on here will note, Ironton has undeniably become a destination program for players and their families seeking a first class winning program + college scholarships. As an Ironton native, I am extremely happy Coach Pendleton was hired to be the football coach at Ironton High.

But to get the program to where he ultimately wants it to be, Coach Pendleton will need to solve the Fighting Tigers' offensive side of the ball. While he has introduced more diversity to the offense compared to the Lutz era, mere offensive packages do not equate to a coordinated, effective offensive game plan. Coach Lutz may have primarily employed what many consider to be an antiquated full house T-formation, but his game planning was exquisite. He would soften up the defensive interior with a physical, pounding fullback while stretching the edges with leggy halfbacks and quarterbacks. Then when the defense became overly focused on the run, Lutz would call the play action to go over the top. If the situation demanded it like a 3rd and 4, he would for the first time in the game go to a hard count and draw the defense offsides. I don't know how many times the fans in the stands would call for this hard count knowing just when Lutz would go to it. And if needed to offset an over-pursuing defense, Coach Lutz would not hesitate to run a counter, a draw, a screen, or a pop pass to the tight end (who was used as a blocker 90% of the time) with great success.

After 3+ years of watching this coaching staff, I am still trying to understand the game plans. Ironton uses multiple formations, but doesn't seem to execute any of them with great efficiency. Line of scrimmage discipline is too often lacking, especially in the first 6-8 weeks of games. In short, the Tigers seem to win more on talent and effort than technique and planning, but that advantage disappears against top flight teams like Kirtland. I guess it take a while for a young coach to find that offensive "personality".

I want to close out this post on a positive track. Coach Pendleton's teams play extremely hard. They are both physically and mentally strong, and opponents should never count them out - check out the Roger Bacon and Jackson games for proof of that. The work ethic that Coach Pendleton has displayed I believe should and will evolve an offensive system that can take this team to the summit. In the meanwhile, the Ironton faithful should enjoy the ride and keep the faith. Go Tigers!
Good post

To Sum it Up. Basically Ironton’s Coaches Recruit Well and Win with Talent.

Not getting 60 Total Yards of Offense in a Game with Carrico at Tailback tells you all you need to know. That game last night should not have been close.
Agreed , Jackson should won 10-0

SEO95
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO95 »

Ironton should win this game easily.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:32 pm The challenge facing the Fighting Tigers and Coach Pendleton is to find both a coordinated plan and consistent execution on offense. Unlike the past two years, Reid Carrico isn't walking through that door to disguise what has been a persistent problem with the offensive side of the ball in Ironton.

Coach Pendleton has been outstanding in bringing the Tiger program back to the forefront of southeastern Ohio football. He is a tireless worker, and he demands the same from his players. The strength and conditioning program he has instituted alone makes Ironton a force to be reckoned with. Upon this foundation, he has built a very sturdy defense that can dominate most teams in DV within the region. He has used his connections to expose Ironton players to numerous college football programs and the scholarship opportunities those bring. Coach Pendleton has re-energized community support, which is among the best in the area. And, as many on here will note, Ironton has undeniably become a destination program for players and their families seeking a first class winning program + college scholarships. As an Ironton native, I am extremely happy Coach Pendleton was hired to be the football coach at Ironton High.

But to get the program to where he ultimately wants it to be, Coach Pendleton will need to solve the Fighting Tigers' offensive side of the ball. While he has introduced more diversity to the offense compared to the Lutz era, mere offensive packages do not equate to a coordinated, effective offensive game plan. Coach Lutz may have primarily employed what many consider to be an antiquated full house T-formation, but his game planning was exquisite. He would soften up the defensive interior with a physical, pounding fullback while stretching the edges with leggy halfbacks and quarterbacks. Then when the defense became overly focused on the run, Lutz would call the play action to go over the top. If the situation demanded it like a 3rd and 4, he would for the first time in the game go to a hard count and draw the defense offsides. I don't know how many times the fans in the stands would call for this hard count knowing just when Lutz would go to it. And if needed to offset an over-pursuing defense, Coach Lutz would not hesitate to run a counter, a draw, a screen, or a pop pass to the tight end (who was used as a blocker 90% of the time) with great success.

After 3+ years of watching this coaching staff, I am still trying to understand the game plans. Ironton uses multiple formations, but doesn't seem to execute any of them with great efficiency. Line of scrimmage discipline is too often lacking, especially in the first 6-8 weeks of games. In short, the Tigers seem to win more on talent and effort than technique and planning, but that advantage disappears against top flight teams like Kirtland. I guess it take a while for a young coach to find that offensive "personality".

I want to close out this post on a positive track. Coach Pendleton's teams play extremely hard. They are both physically and mentally strong, and opponents should never count them out - check out the Roger Bacon and Jackson games for proof of that. The work ethic that Coach Pendleton has displayed I believe should and will evolve an offensive system that can take this team to the summit. In the meanwhile, the Ironton faithful should enjoy the ride and keep the faith. Go Tigers!
Good post

Not getting 60 Total Yards of Offense in a Game with Carrico at Tailback tells you all you need to know. That game last night should not have been close.
You obviously were not there as your comments make no sense as to how the game went.

The only thing Ironton needs to do is keep pounding people and clean up the silly penalties.

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

How many transfers does Fairland have from WVa?

SEO95
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO95 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:37 pm

Good post

You obviously were not there as your comments make no sense as to how the game went.

The only thing Ironton needs to do is keep pounding people and clean up the silly penalties.
disagree. think pembrooke is more correct than not, play calling is inconsistent and hard to figure.

WrestlingFootball
Riding the Bench

Post by WrestlingFootball »

Good post

Excited about this one. I think fairland wins by 7!

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Post by Chilli_Dawg_614 »

osu 77 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:25 pm Play calling on the Ironton side needs to improve. You just can’t call plays against good teams. You need to have a series of plays setting up one play to make the others work.
Facts

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Accurate.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Good post

Disagree. Ironton struggled to get 1st downs and put together 0 sustained offensive drives. The runnin game was anemic.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Good post

Disagree. Ironton struggled to get 1st downs and put together 0 sustained offensive drives. The runnin game was anemic.
Give Jackson some credit . They were very well prepared and physically stood toe to toe with Ironton.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Ed Gennero wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:05 am
Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Give Jackson some credit . They were very well prepared and physically stood toe to toe with Ironton.

Absolutely they did but that doesn't mean Ironton played a good game. Offense was erratic at best. No sustained drives. Tons of penalties. Creative plays but no real foundation to lean on. Jackson became a one dimensonial team but they were able to start winning up front in the 2nd half in the running game. Offense abandoned a really good defense and they started getting tired. Two games in, offensive identity seems iffy. Now granted it may be a bit of a personell issue. I read in this thread that Keys #7 may have been hurt & limited reps. And of course Carpenter I assume has missed the scrimmages and most of the first two weeks in the season. Doesn't seem to be much reporting on the status of that injury. And at this point ya gotta wonder if he would be ready to just plug in week 3 or week 4 vs Moellar? Anyway. I think this game was good for Ironton. I think they should feel humbled and use it as motivation.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Ironton needs the O line to assert itself in the running game. Plain and simple. Ironton needs to give more touches to the most dynamic back. Period. If they cannot establish an effective running game as their foundation, it's going to be a dissapointing finish compared to recent seaaons.
If the offensive penalties do not improve....
If the knucklehead poop ( conduct penalties late) do not improve....
Kirtland? Ridgewood? I don't think so.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Fairlands offensive line is gonna get beat like a drum. All night.

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

Irontons defense crushes spread offenses. Cochran Duncan will keep their qb running. Jackson did good because they used everyone to block and their back was a big boy able to take hits. Fairland should spread it out and that should play into Irontons favor. Hope the offense gets going early.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Burg not in Irontons or Jacksons class this year .

SEO95
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO95 »

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:24 am Ironton needs the O line to assert itself in the running game. Plain and simple. Ironton needs to give more touches to the most dynamic back. Period. If they cannot establish an effective running game as their foundation, it's going to be a dissapointing finish compared to recent seaaons.
If the offensive penalties do not improve....
If the knucklehead poop ( conduct penalties late) do not improve....
Kirtland? Ridgewood? I don't think so.
OLine was pretty darn good for Ironton. Jackson pounded down field with #7 finally. THAT is what Ironton should look like. Not a 50-50 run pass team. Not with either QB. Let the players win.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

I think Fairland will win and I believe Fairland would be Jackson as well. Im from Gallipolis so I’m not a homer.

SEO95
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO95 »

MR305 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:00 pm I think Fairland will win and I believe Fairland would be Jackson as well. Im from Gallipolis so I’m not a homer.
Could not disagree MORE.

Lavon Helm
Riding the Bench

Post by Lavon Helm »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Good post

Neither team looked good. Every point in that game was due to the other team making mistakes. Turnovers by both teams lead to the first TD for both. On the FG drive Ironton had a dumb face mask when they had Jackson way behind the chains. Let’s not act like either team outplayed the other. Ironton had so many false starts it was embarrassing. Honestly, without the hard hitting defenses and the return for the win, it was a tough watch.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Lavon Helm wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:36 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Good post

Neither team looked good. Every point in that game was due to the other team making mistakes. Turnovers by both teams lead to the first TD for both. On the FG drive Ironton had a dumb face mask when they had Jackson way behind the chains. Let’s not act like either team outplayed the other. Ironton had so many false starts it was embarrassing. Honestly, without the hard hitting defenses and the return for the win, it was a tough watch.
That was high level defensive war. The physicality was off the charts for high school kids. Guess we’ll see what others do against ironton. Shouldn’t be hard since they’re not that good

Return to “Football”