Wk 14: Region 19 Final The Burg versus Harvest Prep

522Pirate
Varsity

Re: Wk 14: Region 19 Final The Burg versus Harvest Prep

Post by 522Pirate »

LongTime wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:56 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:33 pm I can't help but notice what a difference in strength of schedule between these 2 teams. Burg has played 5 quality opponents in my opinion ( 6 if you count Ironton twice ) and HP has only played 1. In no way do I think the HP schedule has prepared them for burg, and some may argue that burg has played 8 quality opponents, and if you count Ironton and P.West twice each, that's 10 tough games.
I have to counter your statement on quality opponents. Joe Eitel gives Harvest Prep a stronger strength of schedule and points for wins, hence why a 6-2 regular season schedule, the Harvest Prep team was #2 in the region. When looking at each teams schedule, Harvest Prep has 5 wins v.s. playoff teams (teams that made the playoffs) and Wheelersburg has 3 wins v.s. playoff teams in the regular season. Wheelersburg played two DIII teams and went 1-1 while Harvest Prep played three DIII teams and went 2-1 and played two DII teams and went 1-1. If I read the articles right, Ironton was up 14-3 in the first qtr and then proceeded to turn the ball over 5 times in the last game. So the Wheelersburg offense converted two TD's out of 5 turnovers. That is probably not happening on Saturday in regards to 5 turnovers. They also, beat the #4 seeded Ridgewood in a close contest.

In Harvest Prep's playoff games - Amanda Clearcreek scored 10 pts in the first qtr and never scored again. It was Jennings, Brown - I think that is there best rec, and Saunders first games back in 6 games for Jennings and Saunders, 7 weeks since Brown was back. In this playoff game with AC - Jennings 2 rushes - 75 yds and 2 TDS and 2 receptions for 15 yds and one 2 pt conversion. He touched ball 4 times and produced 14 points and 90 yds.

Saunders played in the first 4 regular season games and one playoff game - 4 rushing TD's and 2 rec TD's
Brown only played in the first three games - 10 receptions - 349 yds 4 TD's and a 2 - 2pt conv. (that is against Eastmoor - playoff D3 team, Hartley - playoff D3 and Columbus Academy - D5 playoff team).

It actually is a pretty good matchup, with Harvest Prep getting the edge on the strength of schedule and opponents. It will feel like a home game for Wheelersburg that is not in question. So when the game starts it will feel like Harvest Prep is down 7. Will it be a tough game, yes. Is Wheelersburg a good team, for sure. It sounds like Coach Woodard and Coach Smith are known for a similar quality - excellent preparation and in game adjustments.
The Warriors realize that from the start. Wheelersburg better realize what they are walking into as well. I still call a Harvest Prep win by 10.
I agree that this will be another dog fight of a game and that Jennings is tough...but re-watching the film against AC, Jennings has three carries in the first two drives for HP and on his fourth carry he coughs up the ball. He is number 1 correct?

Also, some would credit the turnovers to Burg's defense...West had two or three, Ridgewood had two or three, Ironton had 5...they weren't just running with the ball and it fell out of their hands or anything.

And as far as "a 6-2 regular season schedule, the Harvest Prep team was #2 in the region"... correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't playing fewer games give a team less of an L2 divisor, leading to a better average?

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

522Pirate wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:57 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:33 pm I can't help but notice what a difference in strength of schedule between these 2 teams. Burg has played 5 quality opponents in my opinion ( 6 if you count Ironton twice ) and HP has only played 1. In no way do I think the HP schedule has prepared them for burg, and some may argue that burg has played 8 quality opponents, and if you count Ironton and P.West twice each, that's 10 tough games.
I have to counter your statement on quality opponents. Joe Eitel gives Harvest Prep a stronger strength of schedule and points for wins, hence why a 6-2 regular season schedule, the Harvest Prep team was #2 in the region. When looking at each teams schedule, Harvest Prep has 5 wins v.s. playoff teams (teams that made the playoffs) and Wheelersburg has 3 wins v.s. playoff teams in the regular season. Wheelersburg played two DIII teams and went 1-1 while Harvest Prep played three DIII teams and went 2-1 and played two DII teams and went 1-1. If I read the articles right, Ironton was up 14-3 in the first qtr and then proceeded to turn the ball over 5 times in the last game. So the Wheelersburg offense converted two TD's out of 5 turnovers. That is probably not happening on Saturday in regards to 5 turnovers. They also, beat the #4 seeded Ridgewood in a close contest.

In Harvest Prep's playoff games - Amanda Clearcreek scored 10 pts in the first qtr and never scored again. It was Jennings, Brown - I think that is there best rec, and Saunders first games back in 6 games for Jennings and Saunders, 7 weeks since Brown was back. In this playoff game with AC - Jennings 2 rushes - 75 yds and 2 TDS and 2 receptions for 15 yds and one 2 pt conversion. He touched ball 4 times and produced 14 points and 90 yds.

Saunders played in the first 4 regular season games and one playoff game - 4 rushing TD's and 2 rec TD's
Brown only played in the first three games - 10 receptions - 349 yds 4 TD's and a 2 - 2pt conv. (that is against Eastmoor - playoff D3 team, Hartley - playoff D3 and Columbus Academy - D5 playoff team).

It actually is a pretty good matchup, with Harvest Prep getting the edge on the strength of schedule and opponents. It will feel like a home game for Wheelersburg that is not in question. So when the game starts it will feel like Harvest Prep is down 7. Will it be a tough game, yes. Is Wheelersburg a good team, for sure. It sounds like Coach Woodard and Coach Smith are known for a similar quality - excellent preparation and in game adjustments.
The Warriors realize that from the start. Wheelersburg better realize what they are walking into as well. I still call a Harvest Prep win by 10.
I agree that this will be another dog fight of a game and that Jennings is tough...but re-watching the film Jennings has three carries in the first two drives for HP and on his fourth carry he coughs up the ball. He is number 1 correct?

Also, some would credit the turnovers to Burg's defense...West had two or three, Ridgewood had two or three, Ironton had 5...they weren't just running with the ball and it fell out of their hands or anything.

And as far as "a 6-2 regular season schedule, the Harvest Prep team was #2 in the region"... correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't playing fewer games give a team less of an L2 divisor, leading to a better average?
2 carries were called back, so not official. I seed your point on turnovers, but Harvest Prep won't turnover 5 times is my point. To be honest I'm not sure on the L2 divisor.

Tough game - no one gets this far and is not a good team.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Yessir! They're all tough from here on out...good luck, hope everyone stays healthy and GO BURG!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It’s hard to go on strength of schedule. Burg lost to a d6 Kentucky team that barely got beat two weeks later to a d1 Kentucky team. If you’re good, you’re good. Jennings is a threat every time he touches it. The key will be getting prep in third and long situations, and keeping the ball in burgs possession more than prep. Something I think they can do.( I doubt preps defense is as good as ironton or woods, and burg put 31 points on those two teams combined, which leads me to believe burg should be able to get some points and move the ball.)

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:59 am
TheLurker wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:46 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:12 pm

Ironton has like five of those guys.
I'm pretty sure I was responding to a comment about Jennings and not Ironton.
Forgive woby... He can only make about 2-3 posts a day without mentioning Ironton in some capacity. I'd imagine he already hit his limit that day and decided to make a mention of Ironton in every post afterwards.
I was referring to burg facing a team that had d1 talent in ironton. I was being facetious on the amount. Thanks for noticing.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

It will be a slobber knocker. Ironton only beat prep 21-14 last year and prep was very physical. Not sure who’s still on that team from last year. And played without the starting running back. I think it will be close. I’m a Portsmouth fan but this late I’ll root for scioto county. I hope burg wins 100-0 but I think it’s close. May be in the hands of the amazing kicker burg has.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Yes this is going to be a physical game - Burg needs to simply win this on physicality; different Burg team than usual with not the dynamic offense we have gotten used to although it is improving. Find another way to win, I think this one if they win it will be because they were the mentally and physically toughest. I like Burg's chance, each week we have done better. Who would have thought after Week 1 we would be sitting here as the last team in SE Ohio to play this week.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:23 pm Yes this is going to be a physical game - Burg needs to simply win this on physicality; different Burg team than usual with not the dynamic offense we have gotten used to although it is improving. Find another way to win, I think this one if they win it will be because they were the mentally and physically toughest. I like Burg's chance, each week we have done better. Who would have thought after Week 1 we would be sitting here as the last team in SE Ohio to play this week.
Nobody but the coaches and players in the Burg locker room believed they'd be playing for a Regional Championship after Week 1, but at end of the day, that's the only ones that matter. Best coaching job of Woodward's career, and that's saying something given a career that already includes a State Championship.*

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

He’s a class act and it’s been fun to watch this group.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

LongTime wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:03 pm

I agree that this will be another dog fight of a game and that Jennings is tough...but re-watching the film Jennings has three carries in the first two drives for HP and on his fourth carry he coughs up the ball. He is number 1 correct?

2 carries were called back, so not official. I seed your point on turnovers, but Harvest Prep won't turnover 5 times is my point. To be honest I'm not sure on the L2 divisor.

Are you a time traveler?? How do you know HP won't turn over the ball 5 times? I'm sure Ironton didn't think they would turn the ball over 5 times as well. Burg just need to play ball control on offense. Long sustained drives that end in points and the defense just needs to continue to hit like they have been hitting.

Just how better would have Burg been on defense with Arthur and Sanderlin at LB, plus those two would have fit in nicely on offense.

Good luck Burg!!!! Pirate fans know you can win this game!!! You know you can win this game!!!

SEO95
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO95 »

Prep wins by 3 scores.

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:15 pm
LongTime wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:03 pm

Are you a time traveler?? How do you know HP won't turn over the ball 5 times? I'm sure Ironton didn't think they would turn the ball over 5 times as well. Burg just need to play ball control on offense. Long sustained drives that end in points and the defense just needs to continue to hit like they have been hitting.

Just how better would have Burg been on defense with Arthur and Sanderlin at LB, plus those two would have fit in nicely on offense.

Good luck Burg!!!! Pirate fans know you can win this game!!! You know you can win this game!!!
During the regular season they lost 4 fumbles for the season. 5 in one game, prob not. What Ironton did in ball security has no reflection of Harvest Prep's ball security.

It's always a great matchup when two well coached teams meet. Glad to hear it will be streamed/broadcast. Should be a great game to watch.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Where will this be live streamed? Thanks

WWE HALL OF FAME
WellstonLover
Riding the Bench

Post by WellstonLover »

Good luck to burg. Last seo team standing yet again.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

MrPerfect wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:32 pm Where will this be live streamed? Thanks
Burg Sports Network on YouTube

1993jumper
Waterboy

Post by 1993jumper »

Game is at Waverly

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

How late do restaurants stay open down there if you're hungry after the game? I know up here in Columbus they close by 10pm or earlier now.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

LongTime wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:59 pm How late do restaurants stay open down there if you're hungry after the game? I know up here in Columbus they close by 10pm or earlier now.
Roosters in Waverly should be open till midnight.. whole place will probably be filled after the game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Go Burg

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

What is the one component of the HP offense the Burg must shutdown defensively ? Offensively, what part of the HP defense will the Burg be able to exploit?

Return to “Football”