Wellston Coaching Search

Mike Hawk
Waterboy

Re: Wellston Coaching Search

Post by Mike Hawk »

vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:41 pm Dont think it will be a good choice for the future-- Heard he was hired because they did not have to give him a teaching position--But I dont see any kid leaving VC to play football at Wellston (or Basketball)...Not much support from school board in Wellston.
I give it 2, 3 years tops. Wellston just keeps hiring these short term guys over and over each time thinking they hit a home run. Not sure what they're thinking.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Mike Hawk wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:57 pm
vcgrad wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:41 pm Dont think it will be a good choice for the future-- Heard he was hired because they did not have to give him a teaching position--But I dont see any kid leaving VC to play football at Wellston (or Basketball)...Not much support from school board in Wellston.
I give it 2, 3 years tops. Wellston just keeps hiring these short term guys over and over each time thinking they hit a home run. Not sure what they're thinking.

Wellston has had plenty of home run talent since 1991 in the head coaching relm. With tons of talent to go with it over the course of those the years. But for whatever reason it may be for the coach to be leaving: It’s always changing and looking for a football. coach. As vcgrad stated. Been little support from the school administration over the years to this job.

I wish them nothing but the best. And if they have figured it out. Let it be and give a chance for something to be built long term. Buy in and support through the good and bad times. Good luck Coach Yates and the Golden Rockets.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Guess we'll find out if they end up leaving or not, friends of his boy have said they were headed there as well so we'll see if it was just lip service or not.

Speedy991
Waterboy

Post by Speedy991 »

Wonder who Yates will have for all of his assistants???

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Nalin Yates and Greg Phillips

VC94
Riding the Bench

Post by VC94 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:52 pm
greygoose wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:10 am
Dundas wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:45 pm

VC losing players to Wellston? Wouldn’t be the first time.
Nope I'm sure between the 2 schools they have both lost players to each other. Just this time probably going to be some younger players heading that way given Yates ties to VC and Yates bringing boy heading to Wellston also.
His boy has been at Jackson for a while now, so that’s not really a loss to VC. These two schools have been trading players for a long time though. Coach Carper has completely changed the culture at VC so I’d be pretty surprised if anyone decided to leave it. Yates would have to prove he can take Wellston to that level first IMO. It will be an interesting storyline though!
If what your saying is true, why would one of Vc’s coordinators from last year leave Vc to be on Yates’ staff?
Last edited by VC94 on Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

VC94
Riding the Bench

Post by VC94 »

Speedy991 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:37 pm Wonder who Yates will have for all of his assistants???
One of Vc’s coordinators from last year will be on Yates’ staff. If a coordinator leaves Vc for Wellston why wouldn’t the kids? It happens

gator81
Freshman Team

Post by gator81 »

New Wellston Coaching staff.
Head Coach Nolan Yates.
Defensive coordinator Greg Phillips.
Offensive coordinator Nalan Yates.

VC94
Riding the Bench

Post by VC94 »

gator81 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:27 am New Wellston Coaching staff.
Head Coach Nolan Yates.
Thats who was approved, He has more on staff than just 2.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:34 pm
Guess we'll find out if they end up leaving or not, friends of his boy have said they were headed there as well so we'll see if it was just lip service or not.

I don’t think any of the kids headed into 9th grade in Jackson are leavin with the young Yates. Maybe kids below the 9th grade in 6th, 7th 8th grades, may move there to play. If a kid moved from VC bloods thicker then water so who knows.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
gator81
Freshman Team

Post by gator81 »

Who are the others, who are also included in the coaching staff?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC94 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:37 am
Speedy991 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:37 pm Wonder who Yates will have for all of his assistants???
One of Vc’s coordinators from last year will be on Yates’ staff. If a coordinator leaves Vc for Wellston why wouldn’t the kids? It happens
The assistant stepped down after the season. Well before the Wellston job was even open. So he didn’t leave for it. His reason was Carper was requiring too much of his time. So apparently he won’t be held to the same standards at Wellston.

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

VC94 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:35 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:10 am

Nope I'm sure between the 2 schools they have both lost players to each other. Just this time probably going to be some younger players heading that way given Yates ties to VC and Yates bringing boy heading to Wellston also.
His boy has been at Jackson for a while now, so that’s not really a loss to VC. These two schools have been trading players for a long time though. Coach Carper has completely changed the culture at VC so I’d be pretty surprised if anyone decided to leave it. Yates would have to prove he can take Wellston to that level first IMO. It will be an interesting storyline though!
If what your saying is true, why would one of Vc’s coordinators from last year leave Vc to be on Yates’ staff?
I don’t know of any coaches leaving Vc? What assistants are leaving? As for Dundas, I don’t recall the culture being bad at all when this staff stepped in last year? Not sure where that came from. The program had improved a ton when this staff took over and they stepped in to a good situation. Not taking anything away, they have done a nice job. The program went from .500 to 6-4 under a superior senior class.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Flexworth wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:22 am

I don’t know of any coaches leaving Vc? What assistants are leaving? As for Dundas, I don’t recall the culture being bad at all when this staff stepped in last year? Not sure where that came from. The program had improved a ton when this staff took over and they stepped in to a good situation. Not taking anything away, they have done a nice job. The program went from .500 to 6-4 under a superior senior class.
I meant that as in terms of doing all of the extra things off of the football field. The culture of the community surrounding the program is at an all time high. My comment was by no means a diss to the previous staff. They did a great job in laying the foundation TJ is building upon. When the previous staff took over, our program was at a road block. They broke though and are a big part of the quick success of this staff.

Speedy991
Waterboy

Post by Speedy991 »

VC94 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:41 am
gator81 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:27 am New Wellston Coaching staff.
Head Coach Nolan Yates.
Thats who was approved, He has more on staff than just 2.
That was my question also. Some kids have asked who was going to be say the line coach. Defensive backs coach. Running back coach. Receivers coach. Linebackers coach.
Most teams seem to end up with 8 coaches.

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

For the love of the Lord Almighty, it is NAYLAN YATES. Not Nalen or whatever the heck has been spelled.

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

Dundas wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:07 am
VC94 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:37 am
The assistant stepped down after the season. Well before the Wellston job was even open. So he didn’t leave for it. His reason was Carper was requiring too much of his time. So apparently he won’t be held to the same standards at Wellston.
Well, he’s going from being a DC under Carper to just a positional coach at Wellston. Being a DC requires a heck of a lot more responsibilities than just coaching a position group. Wish him the best of luck, but best believe Week 10 it’s on.

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

Dundas wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:43 am
I meant that as in terms of doing all of the extra things off of the football field. The culture of the community surrounding the program is at an all time high. My comment was by no means a diss to the previous staff. They did a great job in laying the foundation TJ is building upon. When the previous staff took over, our program was at a road block. They broke though and are a big part of the quick success of this staff.
Haha, whatever, that’s not what you said nor meant. If changing the the culture of a community takes multiple social media post for attention then Carper takes the trophy. But we are in day of age where people thrive off that stuff. Ha

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

countywide35 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:43 am
greygoose wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:34 pm

I don’t think any of the kids headed into 9th grade in Jackson are leavin with the young Yates. Maybe kids below the 9th grade in 6th, 7th 8th grades, may move there to play. If a kid moved from VC bloods thicker then water so who knows.
No, those guys said they weren't leaving Jackson when asked. There's some VC kids said they were heading over with them though

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Flexworth wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:36 pm
Dundas wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:43 am
Haha, whatever, that’s not what you said nor meant. If changing the the culture of a community takes multiple social media post for attention then Carper takes the trophy. But we are in day of age where people thrive off that stuff. Ha
Social media posts are fun for the kids. They are part of building the program. How long has it been since we had a meet the team? How long has it been since we had a lift-a-thon? How long has it been since we have had 30+kids lifting at 6am in the winter? It’s not just social media posts. I’m glad you can read my mind. Lol I have always given Bethels group a lot of credit for getting us off the mat so to speak.

Return to “Football”