Spring Valley (WV) 42 - 31 Portsmouth 2022

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Week 3:Portsmouth 1-1 @ Spring Valley WV 1-0

Post by biggdowgg »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:51 pm Spring Valley has a legitimate shot at a state title in WV. This is a bad, bad game for Portsmouth. I have zero clue why you wouldn’t renew Wheelersburg but will go outta your way to travel further, have less gate, and take an even bigger butt whooping.

Spring Valley is big and physical. Portsmouth has a slight speed advantage but I honestly can’t see this game being within 30.

I posted the exact thing on Facebook page , we got a running clock put on us last year or year before after a 2 hour drive playing a team instead of Burg.

Lots of money lost by not playing them, just don't add up

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I went and watched Spring Valley play Capital two years ago. I didn't think that team of players would ever stop running off that hill. They were huge on the line and beat Capital with ease. Not sure this is what Portsmouth will be wanting to see. Also they will be playing on grass. No turf at Spring Valley.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I was looking at a roster and they have some serious size. A couple lineman close to 300 pounds. They have some 200+ backs and a TE/DE listed at 6'6" 255. Might end up worse than the West game.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Thankfully this is just a one year series. Next season they are replaced with Greenup County Ky. As far as playing Burg this week like many years past, It’s been very one sided in favor of Burg. I suppose maybe Portsmouth figured taking an almost automatic loss doesn’t outweigh the money from the gates this game would generate. The last time they played in 2016 Burg won 45-0. The last competitive game was in 2011 a Burg 28-19 win. The last Portsmouth win was way back in 2007 when Burg fumbled trying to run the clock out instead of taking a knee I believe. I believe they have only beat Burg 4 time in the 2000’s. It’s not much of a rivalry, very one sided as of lately. I would like it to be played again. Nice stiff test week 3 every year to prepare for the playoffs, big gate, close travel. But I think I actually understand why the game isn’t being played.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I don't have any confidence in Portsmouth's defense. 62 points given up in 2 games, and I expect Spring Valley to put the ball in the endzone quite often. The Trojans' offense can muster up some yards and points, but I just don't think it will be enough to keep up with the Timberwolves.

As biggdowgg said, there are several teams ahead that pose real problems for the Trojans. After the dismal performance vs. West, Spring Valley, Coal Grove, Gallia Academy, Fairland, and Ironton look to be daunting tasks for PHS. Unless the defense improves dramatically, I don't see a win in any of those 5 games.

bbjunky81: It has been an embarrassment that Portsmouth decided several years ago to no longer schedule Wheelersburg. I and biggdowgg expressed our opinions about this to the athletic administration, so we did our part to keep the series alive. Hopefully one day the schools can get together and renew the series. Get better, but don't run away.

We took a lot of whippings from Ironton under Bob Lutz...overall something like 8-27......many of the games were over by halftime. Yet we still played the Fighting Tigers every year. Ironton still dominates the series post Lutz. I know that Portsmouth--Ironton has a long history, but Portsmouth--Wheelersburg has a fairly long history as well, having first played in the early 70's.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

trojandave wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:59 am I don't have any confidence in Portsmouth's defense. 62 points given up in 2 games, and I expect Spring Valley to put the ball in the endzone quite often. The Trojans' offense can muster up some yards and points, but I just don't think it will be enough to keep up with the Timberwolves.

As biggdowgg said, there are several teams ahead that pose real problems for the Trojans. After the dismal performance vs. West, Spring Valley, Coal Grove, Gallia Academy, Fairland, and Ironton look to be daunting tasks for PHS. Unless the defense improves dramatically, I don't see a win in any of those 5 games.

bbjunky81: It has been an embarrassment that Portsmouth decided several years ago to no longer schedule Wheelersburg. I and biggdowgg expressed our opinions about this to the athletic administration, so we did our part to keep the series alive. Hopefully one day the schools can get together and renew the series. Get better, but don't run away.

We took a lot of whippings from Ironton under Bob Lutz...overall something like 8-27......many of the games were over by halftime. Yet we still played the Fighting Tigers every year. Ironton still dominates the series post Lutz. I know that Portsmouth--Ironton has a long history, but Portsmouth--Wheelersburg has a fairly long history as well, having first played in the early 70's.

That’s the part I don’t understand TD. You’re exactly right, Ironton has beat up on the Trojans for years, but that game continues. Burg has beat up on the Trojans for years but that one hasn’t continued. Like I said in a previous post I understand if you don’t want to play them because you feel you won’t win, you’re the inferior team year in and out. But the same is said for Ironton yet that does continue. Does it only continue because of the longevity and history behind it? Very strange indeed.

Who Dey!
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Issue been discussed here before, but I don't see the Burg/Portsmouth series being restarted anytime soon. Guy at Burg who would know said game was good for Burg's gate, but not much more benefit to playing it, and that PHS ending the series "just did Burg a favor."

Other issue is Northwest coming back to SOC II next year, so that's one less available nonconference game for Burg. They not going to drop Ironton, Jackson, or Ashland anytime soon, so that now only leaves 1 open week on their schedule and Burg going to want to beef up the nonconference schedule as much as possible (such as Archbishop McNicholas). Hate it for the local football fans and PHS fans like Dowgg/Dave who want this game played, but PHS AD/coaches made the decision for whatever reasons.*

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 am Thankfully this is just a one year series. Next season they are replaced with Greenup County Ky. As far as playing Burg this week like many years past, It’s been very one sided in favor of Burg. I suppose maybe Portsmouth figured taking an almost automatic loss doesn’t outweigh the money from the gates this game would generate. The last time they played in 2016 Burg won 45-0. The last competitive game was in 2011 a Burg 28-19 win. The last Portsmouth win was way back in 2007 when Burg fumbled trying to run the clock out instead of taking a knee I believe. I believe they have only beat Burg 4 time in the 2000’s. It’s not much of a rivalry, very one sided as of lately. I would like it to be played again. Nice stiff test week 3 every year to prepare for the playoffs, big gate, close travel. But I think I actually understand why the game isn’t being played.
Greenup county was suppose to happen like 3 years ago. The year we were supposed to play wellston for 1 year then greenup the next year but covid has messed up schedules. Glad to see greenup happening still. I think it’s a fun matchup.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:01 pm
trojandave wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:59 am I don't have any confidence in Portsmouth's defense. 62 points given up in 2 games, and I expect Spring Valley to put the ball in the endzone quite often. The Trojans' offense can muster up some yards and points, but I just don't think it will be enough to keep up with the Timberwolves.

That’s the part I don’t understand TD. You’re exactly right, Ironton has beat up on the Trojans for years, but that game continues. Burg has beat up on the Trojans for years but that one hasn’t continued. Like I said in a previous post I understand if you don’t want to play them because you feel you won’t win, you’re the inferior team year in and out. But the same is said for Ironton yet that does continue. Does it only continue because of the longevity and history behind it? Very strange indeed.

Who knows if we would still be playing Ironton "if" they wasn't in the same league?

I agree with Dave ,if you are tired of getting beat over and over do something to get better work harder, put more time in etc.

Back to spring valley game , from what I'm reading it's more then likely not going to be pretty,but I will be there to support the team.

Go Trojans!

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

It doesn’t get any easier this week for the Trojans.

WWE HALL OF FAME
thebestever1
Waterboy

Post by thebestever1 »

Hearing that Portsmouth has a couple key players out for Friday including Nolan Heiland and Devon Lattimore. I know Heiland’s ankle rolled pretty bad but not sure about Lattimore, maybe a concussion but don’t know how serious that is. I don’t see this game being a good matchup for Portsmouth at all especially with those two out. Maybe a chance to look at some JV guys such as some Offensive and Defensive linemen and maybe even a safety. Big props for this game being scheduled, heard this SV team is the real deal in WV.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

I'd rather play burg than Spring Valley and there is a reason why Ironton doesn't play Huntington or Spring Valley.

SV 62-6

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Sounds like Spring Valley is pretty good. If Portsmouth has a few athletes out, that will hurt their chances. I'll take Spring Valley in this one.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

goUK wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:37 am I'd rather play burg than Spring Valley and there is a reason why Ironton doesn't play Huntington or Spring Valley.

SV 62-6
Stupid question but does West Virginia have a running clock? Or maybe it’s a rule for high school everywhere. I doubt the score will be that lopsided lol but I think spring valley wins.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

If some of you get upset about Ironton transfers, wait til I tell you about the frequency of transfers in the MSAC conference between spring val, huntington and cabell midland, and between Capital, south charleston and Gw.

Weird detail though.

Nobody there ever cries about it.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

I like that Portsmouth is upping their OOC Schedule, but this is a bear! SV by at least 3 scores.

Fairlandboi69
Waterboy

Post by Fairlandboi69 »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:59 pm If some of you get upset about Ironton transfers, wait til I tell you about the frequency of transfers in the MSAC conference between spring val, huntington and cabell midland, and between Capital, south charleston and Gw.

Weird detail though.

I lived in Huntington until 3 years ago when I moved to Proctorville. I went to Huntington High. SV and Huntington High aren't particularly heavy beneficiaries for transfers. The Kanawha Valley is quite bad with transfers, you are right about that. Midland somehow seems to end up with high impact transfers nearly every year. However, those transfers aren't usually coming from SV or Huntington, they are coming from the edges of the Kanawha Valley.

I'm not saying SV or Huntington have never had a high impact transfer, most S Tier schools will be the beneficiary of a transfer due to their status of being great.

It wasn't that long ago that Midland, SV, Huntington all sucked. I remember SV going 0-10 before Brad took over the program. I think that was the year before he took over from Coach Money. I remember Huntington High's best athletes walking the hallways every fall. Billy Seals had his work cut out to get those athletes to put on a helmet. His first few years weren't easy.

What changed was Luke, Billy and Brad taking over the programs and making these schools power houses. Hard work pays off and dedicated coaches will turn a floundering program around.

Hurricane High School, which is close to Midland, just got a new head coach. You're going to see him turn Hurricane High around and you're going to see 4 schools all in close proximity to each other being state championship contenders in the same class, in the same conference. Good coaching matters!

Here's some proof that good coaching matters. Luke Salmons (current Midland coach) took Lawrence County Kentucky from 0-11 to 13-1 in 1 year. That was THE biggest turnaround in Kentucky state history. He was named coach of the year in all 6 football classes in Kentucky. He completely turned around a struggling Midland program.

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

Fairlandboi69 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:16 pm
THEEE_GAME wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:59 pm If some of you get upset about Ironton transfers, wait til I tell you about the frequency of transfers in the MSAC conference between spring val, huntington and cabell midland, and between Capital, south charleston and Gw.

Weird detail though.

I lived in Huntington until 3 years ago when I moved to Proctorville. I went to Huntington High. SV and Huntington High aren't particularly heavy beneficiaries for transfers. The Kanawha Valley is quite bad with transfers, you are right about that. Midland somehow seems to end up with high impact transfers nearly every year. However, those transfers aren't usually coming from SV or Huntington, they are coming from the edges of the Kanawha Valley.

I'm not saying SV or Huntington have never had a high impact transfer, most S Tier schools will be the beneficiary of a transfer due to their status of being great.

It wasn't that long ago that Midland, SV, Huntington all sucked. I remember SV going 0-10 before Brad took over the program. I think that was the year before he took over from Coach Money. I remember Huntington High's best athletes walking the hallways every fall. Billy Seals had his work cut out to get those athletes to put on a helmet. His first few years weren't easy.

What changed was Luke, Billy and Brad taking over the programs and making these schools power houses. Hard work pays off and dedicated coaches will turn a floundering program around.

Hurricane High School, which is close to Midland, just got a new head coach. You're going to see him turn Hurricane High around and you're going to see 4 schools all in close proximity to each other being state championship contenders in the same class, in the same conference. Good coaching matters!

Here's some proof that good coaching matters. Luke Salmons (current Midland coach) took Lawrence County Kentucky from 0-11 to 13-1 in 1 year. That was THE biggest turnaround in Kentucky state history. He was named coach of the year in all 6 football classes in Kentucky. He completely turned around a struggling Midland program.
Yup. And nobody cries about transfers. It's quite normal. These fans in seo would lose their minds over Martinsburg. lol

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Had to go back and re read the post on here to see who was complaining about transfers ?

I look forward to going to new places we haven't played at before so I'm actually looking forward to Friday night even though I know it looks as if it could be a long night for our boys,but I'm sure they will still give it their all ,then it's time for league play.

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

biggdowgg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:49 pm Had to go back and re read the post on here to see who was complaining about transfers ?

I look forward to going to new places we haven't played at before so I'm actually looking forward to Friday night even though I know it looks as if it could be a long night for our boys,but I'm sure they will still give it their all ,then it's time for league play.
Pretty sure there wasn't any specific reference made to this thread but in general. It's ok to ask for context if you need it. I don't mind helping anyone who maybe comprehends a little slower along.

Return to “Football”