Is the OVC legit this year?

OVC
JV Team

Is the OVC legit this year?

Post by OVC »

Every team in the OVC has a winning record with the exception of Portsmouth (who has lost to two good teams). What’s everyone’s thoughts on the OVC this year as a whole?

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Is the OVC legit this year?

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Legit? I wouldn’t go that far. I think that surprise is Gallia 3-0 right now, south point 2-1, ironton, fairland, coal grove and Gallia usually make the post season every year. Portsmouth is 1-2 but have not started ovc play yet. But nice seeing teams like rock hill, south point and peake getting wins.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:41 am Legit? I wouldn’t go that far. I think that surprise is Gallia 3-0 right now, south point 2-1, ironton, fairland, coal grove and Gallia usually make the post season every year. Portsmouth is 1-2 but have not started ovc play yet. But nice seeing teams like rock hill, south point and peake getting wins.
As a Rock Hill fan, I know we may be at the bottom half, but I’m just thrilled we have a winning record :D

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I got Rock Hill for 1 maybe 2 more wins this year.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Jonjon
Freshman Team

Post by Jonjon »

The most impressive thing to me is that Portsmouth had a lead on spring valley with 2 minutes left. I don’t think a team in this conference could do that especially at spring valley. This includes ironton. That was impressive!

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

Jonjon wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:46 pm The most impressive thing to me is that Portsmouth had a lead on spring valley with 2 minutes left. I don’t think a team in this conference could do that especially at spring valley. This includes ironton. That was impressive!

Huntington High also took SV to the edge. SV is maybe a step behind the last cpl seasons. They are gonna lose a game or two in msac play. GW will give them fits this season.

Beergogglebluez
SE

I think spring valley went In The locker room and said no way we lose so let’s take it easy. 2nd half the ran the ball to start knowing they could throw all over us. But Trojans had a different mindset and wanted to win. Gives Portsmouth confidence as they will beat rock hill easy but Gallia the next week will be tough. They seem to be pretty good this year.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

To early to say teams have winning records but their competition hasn't been shattering playoffs will tell just how good the OVC is and with so many teams making they playoffs this year that will be quite a few.
Ironton
Gallia
Coal Grove
Fairland
Portsmouth if they can right the ship and maybe Rock Hill or South Point or Cheasapeake can sneak in at 6-4 if they get a few lucky breaks.
5-5 may get a team in but I don't think it would be a very good match up for them 6-4 would be a tough one to.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

How good is GA this year? Maybe svac or 305 can shed some light?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jonjon wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:46 pm The most impressive thing to me is that Portsmouth had a lead on spring valley with 2 minutes left. I don’t think a team in this conference could do that especially at spring valley. This includes ironton. That was impressive!
So are you putting Portsmouth at #1 in the conference then? I mean if you’re saying there’s not another team in conference that could do what they did to SV sounds like at that point you’ve put them #1. Which would put west off the charts. Had you just left it at impressive I would understand but once you said no other team in conference could do what they did you changed the game.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

I believe the OVC teams are off to a good start, however, I think that true conference legitimacy can only be judged come playoff time. And I am pulling for all OVC Teams who make playoffs to have strong post seasons.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Hate to say it but ironton would of killed spring valley that night. I believe fairland may of beat spring valley that night. Great night for Portsmouth but unless they tighten up on defense they are fighting for 3rd or 4th in the OVC. Have ironton, Gallia, fairland possibly Portsmouth or coal grove rounding the top 5. Coal grove is playing good ball so far this year.

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:44 am
So are you putting Portsmouth at #1 in the conference then? I mean if you’re saying there’s not another team in conference that could do what they did to SV sounds like at that point you’ve put them #1. Which would put west off the charts. Had you just left it at impressive I would understand but once you said no other team in conference could do what they did you changed the game.
Huntington High also pressed SV like a week prior to Portsmouth getting them. Final was 29 - 28.

SV will be in a game this week vs Hurricane also.

Cap and SC are down so those will be wins for SV unless some upset happens.

Midland will give them fits.
GW may just light them up if Coach Edwards boys on THE HILL stay consistent.

Beergogglebluez
SE

THEEE_GAME wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:25 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:44 am
Huntington High also pressed SV like a week prior to Portsmouth getting them. Final was 29 - 28.

SV will be in a game this week vs Hurricane also.

Cap and SC are down so those will be wins for SV unless some upset happens.

Midland will give them fits.
GW may just light them up if Coach Edwards boys on THE HILL stay consistent.
It won’t matter all roads lead to martinsburg who kills these teams around here.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The OVC is doing quite well so far. The conference did well in non-conference competition, and now it should be interesting to see what shakes out in conference play with so many teams off to a good start. There were years that the OVC wasn't nearly as good in non-conference play in comparison to what it has shown thus far in 2022.

The word "legit" should not be used solely in the context of a conference's overall playoff performance or number of teams in the playoffs. There is some good football played within a conference schedule. The playoffs guarantee few teams anything but an appearance. A lot of factors can go into determining playoff success. A season ending injury to a key player can severely affect a team's playoff outlook, or even something like the flu can keep players out. And anybody can just have a bad game.....after all, these are teenagers who are far from perfection and consistency.

Return to “Football”