OVC & SOC Merge Talk

s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Re: OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

Symmes Valley would not be Joining this We are fine where We are.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

goUK wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:09 pm FAC North
Miami Trace 613
Hillsboro 548
Washington 516
Mcclain 458
Add 2 more

FAC South
Chillicothe- 714.....Possibly FAC North
Jackson 537
Unioto - 485......Possible Fac North
Waverly 448
Fairland 382
Ironton 348
Wheelersburg 333

SOC "Big"
Portsmouth 329
Chesapeake 324
West 322
South Point 317
Northwest 316
Minford 314

OVC (Tweeners)
Rock Hill 308
Oak Hill 284
Coal Grove 269
Valley 231
South Webster 199

SOC 1
Mostly Stays the same but gets rid of the bigger schools

TVC- Add Gallia Academy - They wont join FAC 418

Piketon 334

This does not include CB.
goUK, where did you get those numbers? I believe OHSAA enrollment figures are 10-12...correct?

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

jujubean wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:31 pm
goUK wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:09 pm FAC North
Miami Trace 613
Hillsboro 548
Washington 516
Mcclain 458
Add 2 more

FAC South
Chillicothe- 714.....Possibly FAC North
Jackson 537
Unioto - 485......Possible Fac North
Waverly 448
Fairland 382
Ironton 348
Wheelersburg 333

SOC "Big"
Portsmouth 329
Chesapeake 324
West 322
South Point 317
Northwest 316
Minford 314

OVC (Tweeners)
Rock Hill 308
Oak Hill 284
Coal Grove 269
Valley 231
South Webster 199

SOC 1
Mostly Stays the same but gets rid of the bigger schools

TVC- Add Gallia Academy - They wont join FAC 418

Piketon 334

This does not include CB.
goUK, where did you get those numbers? I believe OHSAA enrollment figures are 10-12...correct?
https://www.ohsaa.org/school-resources/ ... enrollment

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

i believe he added in boys and girls numbers

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't every league that Ironton has ever been affiliated with folded? And the educated idiots running the OVC schools thought it would be a wise decision to bring them in? So now we get to witness another league fold at their disposal.

We should never ever allow them (Ironton) in the SOC. Never!

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

BigChuck wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:32 pm Please correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't every league that Ironton has ever been affiliated with folded? And the educated idiots running the OVC schools thought it would be a wise decision to bring them in? So now we get to witness another league fold at their disposal.

We should never ever allow them (Ironton) in the SOC. Never!
I don't think the OVC is folding. Also, Ironton only dominates in Football. What other sport are they winning Championships in? I guess, consistently winning? All other sports in the OVC have a ton of parody.
However, the SOC 2 is a different story. Wheelersburg, to no fault of their own, dominate in almost all categories in sports. If they don't win they are right in the thick of things to win!

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

greygoose wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:21 am
IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:21 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:45 pm

:lol: :lol: So division 7 Symmes Valley is going to jump into that, nope. Also you think they voted in teams and formed 2 divisions without having a team in place?? Ya'll got some stories going on that's for sure.
You might think it's a rumor or think I'm full of it but I'm telling you what I have been told and it ain't from anybody that would lie and that's for sure.
Oh I do just think you're putting out there what you heard, but it seems like there's enough contradicting evidence coming from those on the RH meeting that this wasn't the case. Also the notion that Symmes Valley would entertain this I would just find odd and not something that would work. The drives for Symmes and the other SOC1 schools sucks I'm sure with the bypass it helps but SV is a small DVII and I just don't see them competing in this in most sports. Then the notion of here's our big division even though we don't have a team and he's our small division even though 3 of the teams are currently in the SOC, that's just too many moving parts from different schools to where something like this wouldn't get out much more than just 1 guy saying it.
It wasn't at the school board meeting that I was talking about, and I ain't a lier so you can think what you want about me, but I ain't telling lies about what I have been told. They asked jackson about joining the bigger division and some of the other schools pitched a fit about it and stopped any thoughts of that from happening and besides Symmes Valley, Oak Hill, and Northwest or any of the Small Division Teams wouldn't have to play any of the Bigger Schools anyway.

GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, HOOK'EM HORNS, HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:15 am
greygoose wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:21 am
IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:21 pm

You might think it's a rumor or think I'm full of it but I'm telling you what I have been told and it ain't from anybody that would lie and that's for sure.
Oh I do just think you're putting out there what you heard, but it seems like there's enough contradicting evidence coming from those on the RH meeting that this wasn't the case. Also the notion that Symmes Valley would entertain this I would just find odd and not something that would work. The drives for Symmes and the other SOC1 schools sucks I'm sure with the bypass it helps but SV is a small DVII and I just don't see them competing in this in most sports. Then the notion of here's our big division even though we don't have a team and he's our small division even though 3 of the teams are currently in the SOC, that's just too many moving parts from different schools to where something like this wouldn't get out much more than just 1 guy saying it.
It wasn't at the school board meeting that I was talking about, and I ain't a lier so you can think what you want about me, but I ain't telling lies about what I have been told. They asked jackson about joining the bigger division and some of the other schools pitched a fit about it and stopped any thoughts of that from happening and besides Symmes Valley, Oak Hill, and Northwest or any of the Small Division Teams wouldn't have to play any of the Bigger Schools anyway.
Never said you were a liar so no idea where that came from. Never mentioned anything about SV, OH or NW playing the bigger schools either. What I said in a nut shell is this you’ve got 3 schools that someone has said this is the proposal. However those 3 schools belong to an entirely different conference so I find it a bit odd in this world of social media that only a single person has mentioned this. That no one from any other schools who are being talked about to move hasn’t let it slip and the fact that Jackson was invited and that didn’t get out on a bigger stage. Even the notion that they would ask jackson who’s a D3 over let’s say a wheelersburg right on 52 would be mind blowing to me. None of those teams are going to go for Jackson heck Jackson isn’t leaving the FAC either. I mean at this point adding 3 schools from SOC and still needing more tells me they’d be more apt to push for a merge.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:12 am
greygoose wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:21 am Oh I do just think you're putting out there what you heard, but it seems like there's enough contradicting evidence coming from those on the RH meeting that this wasn't the case. Also the notion that Symmes Valley would entertain this I would just find odd and not something that would work. The drives for Symmes and the other SOC1 schools sucks I'm sure with the bypass it helps but SV is a small DVII and I just don't see them competing in this in most sports. Then the notion of here's our big division even though we don't have a team and he's our small division even though 3 of the teams are currently in the SOC, that's just too many moving parts from different schools to where something like this wouldn't get out much more than just 1 guy saying it.
Never said you were a liar so no idea where that came from. Never mentioned anything about SV, OH or NW playing the bigger schools either. What I said in a nut shell is this you’ve got 3 schools that someone has said this is the proposal. However those 3 schools belong to an entirely different conference so I find it a bit odd in this world of social media that only a single person has mentioned this. That no one from any other schools who are being talked about to move hasn’t let it slip and the fact that Jackson was invited and that didn’t get out on a bigger stage. Even the notion that they would ask jackson who’s a D3 over let’s say a wheelersburg right on 52 would be mind blowing to me. None of those teams are going to go for Jackson heck Jackson isn’t leaving the FAC either. I mean at this point adding 3 schools from SOC and still needing more tells me they’d be more apt to push for a merge.
It's real simple. Rock Hill, CG, Chesapeake and SP wants away from Ironton and OH wants to be placed in a Division they can compete in. SOC 1 is too small and SOC 2 with Wheelersburg, Waverly and West is too big. This is in all sports. I have been saying for years there are two conferences that could come together and make for a lot more competitive balance (NOT OHSAA CB balance) for many schools, however there are too many with their own agenda and not looking at the BIG overall picture.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:27 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:12 am

It's real simple. Rock Hill, CG, Chesapeake and SP wants away from Ironton and OH wants to be placed in a Division they can compete in. SOC 1 is too small and SOC 2 with Wheelersburg, Waverly and West is too big. This is in all sports. I have been saying for years there are two conferences that could come together and make for a lot more competitive balance (NOT OHSAA CB balance) for many schools, however there are too many with their own agenda and not looking at the BIG overall picture.
You're right as most schools' agendas are always going to be what's best for them. That's why it would be a lot easier for Rock HIll, Coal Grove, South Point, and Chesapeake to leave the OVC; and for Oak Hill, Valley and Northwest to leave the SOC, and just start a new conference altogether. No merger; no OVC schools joining SOC; etc. Just call it the Ohio River Valley Conference or something and write your own bylaws and not be at the mercy of the votes of bigger schools with their own agendas and/or soccer schools.

I would also ask Minford, Portsmouth, and/or Symmes Valley to see if they're interested as well, and if not now, maybe revisit them a few years down the road.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I was able to talk in depth with a school administrator on this subject and from the sounds of it.... a merger is much closer to happening than many people realize.

As previously stated there will be OVC reps meeting with SOC reps in the near future. From the sounds of it, Coal Grove, Rock Hill, and surprisingly, Fairland are the 3 leading the charge on the OVC end. In the particular scenario's discussed it's actually most likely that Ironton would drift back to an independent, and the SOC (although could be renamed) will be adding a 3rd division.

I think we will have some official answers within the next 3-4 weeks.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:05 pm I was able to talk in depth with a school administrator on this subject and from the sounds of it.... a merger is much closer to happening than many people realize.

As previously stated there will be OVC reps meeting with SOC reps in the near future. From the sounds of it, Coal Grove, Rock Hill, and surprisingly, Fairland are the 3 leading the charge on the OVC end. In the particular scenario's discussed it's actually most likely that Ironton would drift back to an independent, and the SOC (although could be renamed) will be adding a 3rd division.

I think we will have some official answers within the next 3-4 weeks.
That's encouraging to hear. I think that would be the best solution, but figured it would be too much to ask for 25+ schools to come to a consensus on a full merger of the conferences*

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I like the idea of going to 3 divisions.

SOCobserver
Waterboy

Post by SOCobserver »

The OVC meeting was today. The votes 4-4 against meeting with the SOC. the OVC is actively recruiting schools. Jackson, OH, Valley and River Valley were all mentioned.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

SOCobserver wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:40 pm The OVC meeting was today. The votes 4-4 against meeting with the SOC. the OVC is actively recruiting schools. Jackson, OH, Valley and River Valley were all mentioned.
So a no go for a merger? Curious what’s going to happen with this.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SOCobserver wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:40 pm The OVC meeting was today. The votes 4-4 against meeting with the SOC. the OVC is actively recruiting schools. Jackson, OH, Valley and River Valley were all mentioned.
Anybody know how the bylaws for OVC works as far as adding new members (i.e. how much of a majority vote is needed)? I've always heard SOC requires unanimous vote to add members. It's why I'm still skeptical anything of substance gets done (i.e. 3rd division in SOC) unless schools just leave OVC and SOC and start their own new conference.*

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

As mentioned before I'm not certain what Jackson would gain from joining either the OVC or the SOC...

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:39 pm
Anybody know how the bylaws for OVC works as far as adding new members (i.e. how much of a majority vote is needed)? I've always heard SOC requires unanimous vote to add members. It's why I'm still skeptical anything of substance gets done (i.e. 3rd division in SOC) unless schools just leave OVC and SOC and start their own new conference.*
If nothing happens I think that’s what you’ll see, the 4 who voted for it just say ok see ya guys we’ll start our own league. Oak Hill, Northwest would leave and Lucasville would consider it. Even if they didn’t that’s 6 teams right there and really only need that once that happened others would follow. Ironton will be left holding the bag.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Actively recruiting because they know the 4 that voted for it are probably dead set that something is going to give.

SOCobserver
Waterboy

Post by SOCobserver »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:48 pm
Actively recruiting because they know the 4 that voted for it are probably dead set that something is going to give.
The 4 that voted against it were Gallia, Fairland, Portsmouth and South Point.

Return to “Football”