Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

RBH23
S

Re: Portsmouth West 14 - 7 Wheelersburg 2022 SOC Championship

Post by RBH23 »

Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:47 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:44 am
Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:43 am

Ironton and Jackson definitely not intimidated anymore. West and waverly have won league titles recently. I think there is something to it .
Oh you do? lol They didn’t have a mental block last year against Ironton in the playoffs. Just a solid year for burg.
Burg has won 8 of the last 10 SOC. That’s not a fall.
Never said a fall. For a good 5 years run Burg was light years ahead is everyone in the area. Jackson was won 3 or 4 in a row , Ironton 2 out of last 4. Burg hasn’t won the soc 2 of last 3 years. Other teams are catching up.
Ah yes, the demise of Burg football and the rise of teams in the area. Have heard this many times over 50 years…

Burg has ebbs and flows where they go from good to dominate. They went three years (I believe 2011-2013 seasons) where they didn’t win the SOC. All kinds of talk about the end of Burg football dominance, and how teams have finally caught up with them. Well, we know how that played out.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

congratulations to pwest! got to say this one surprised me.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Great game to the very end. What a championship should look like!
Congratulations West!

WWE HALL OF FAME
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:07 pm

Oh you do? lol They didn’t have a mental block last year against Ironton in the playoffs. Just a solid year for burg.
Never said a fall. For a good 5 years run Burg was light years ahead is everyone in the area. Jackson was won 3 or 4 in a row , Ironton 2 out of last 4. Burg hasn’t won the soc 2 of last 3 years. Other teams are catching up.
Ah yes, the demise of Burg football and the rise of teams in the area. Have heard this many times over 50 years…

Burg has ebbs and flows where they go from good to dominate. They went three years (I believe 2011-2013 seasons) where they didn’t win the SOC. All kinds of talk about the end of Burg football dominance, and how teams have finally caught up with them. Well, we know how that played out.
Burg is a dominating team when they have a real passing attack. Truth is, they haven't had a real passing game in almost 4 years (since Salyers graduated). Lately Burg has been doing the "running back who can occasionally pass" type of offense, but that can only get you so far.

I don't know if this is because there has been a lack of talent at the QB position the last few years, or maybe because they let go of the offensive coordinator who ran the passing game and called plays. In any case, it's been obvious the past few years that they have been lacking offensively.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:07 pm

First congrats to West on the hard fought victory! They outplayed us and deserved the victory. Burg needs to regroup for the playoffs. As stated above, we have had several teams over the years that did not win the league but made good playoff runs so the season is not lost! Losing to West for the first time since 2011 and to a Scioto County team for the first time since 2013 doesn’t mean the program is going down the drain….. all streaks come to an end eventually!

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

Alen Peters wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:29 am Wheelersburg needs to go back to the old school smash mouth football.
They’ve been a mostly running football team for a few years. Not sure I’d call it “old school smashmouth” but they definitely run more than they throw

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Like was said, when Burg brought in Rucker at QB West dropped out of the 8-9 in the box and what’s Burg do? They start chucking the ball 40 yards down the field trying to hit big play. Go back to running the ball with some RPO and keep West guessing!!

I can’t really say West was the better team because they won. Burg just took themselves right out of there offense in the second half.

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

Way to go West!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:21 pm Like was said, when Burg brought in Rucker at QB West dropped out of the 8-9 in the box and what’s Burg do? They start chucking the ball 40 yards down the field trying to hit big play. Go back to running the ball with some RPO and keep West guessing!!

I can’t really say West was the better team because they won. Burg just took themselves right out of there offense in the second half.
I’ll say it for you. West was the better team. Almost man for man West is as good or better and the much more physical team.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:18 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:21 pm Like was said, when Burg brought in Rucker at QB West dropped out of the 8-9 in the box and what’s Burg do? They start chucking the ball 40 yards down the field trying to hit big play. Go back to running the ball with some RPO and keep West guessing!!

I’ll say it for you. West was the better team. Almost man for man West is as good or better and the much more physical team.
I think they are almost identical in a way. Quick on defense. Good solid offense. Score pretty much reflected that. The difference was west made that one play in the game that needed to be made. I thought burg special teams would have made the difference but it never really came into play.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

😂 Wheelersburg never loses , it’s always if if if but but but

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

So Burg loses to West for the first time in quite a while and all of a sudden they have lost their edge?? They win 8 out of the last 10 SOC Championships and they've lost their edge??

Seriously??

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:56 pm

😂 Wheelersburg never loses , it’s always if if if but but but

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:14 pm So Burg loses to West for the first time in quite a while and all of a sudden they have lost their edge?? They win 8 out of the last 10 SOC Championships and they've lost their edge??

Seriously??
2 out of last 3

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Wrong. West won. They are clearly the better team. Could Burg beat them in a rematch? Yeah. But that’s just a hypothetical at this point, just like a rematch with Ironton.

End of day, Burg had 4 real games this year and lost 3 of them. Are they capable of making a run in playoffs? Yes. But they going to have to put a full game together with all units showing up. It hasn’t happened yet this year in a big game.

As for the talk (again) of Burg’s demise, if West beats them next year, then start the conversation. But first time it happened in 11 years, lol.*

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

The better team ALWAYS wins ,the proof is on the score board ,I hat when people resort to ,we beat you 99 times out of 100.

This is now ! Let the kids enjoy it

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

My take on the last few posts

Wheelersburg has good coaching. The talent has dropped off from 4 or 5 years ago.

West has gotten better from a talent aspect.

West has gotten into the 2000s in both offense and defense of the spread.

West kids have had success against Wheelersburg in the younger grades and basketball so they are not intimidated anymore.

West kids are in shape. Where 5 years ago you could count the kids ready to play high school football at a high level on one hand, they have in the teens now.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Westfan wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:16 pm My take on the last few posts

Wheelersburg has good coaching. The talent has dropped off from 4 or 5 years ago.

West has gotten better from a talent aspect.

West has gotten into the 2000s in both offense and defense of the spread.

West kids have had success against Wheelersburg in the younger grades and basketball so they are not intimidated anymore.

West kids are in shape. Where 5 years ago you could count the kids ready to play high school football at a high level on one hand, they have in the teens now.
☝️

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Anyone who beats an overrated and arrogant bunch of folks from wheelersburg is a friend of mine. Go west. My alma mater has dominated you for decades - but you fail to admit it. What would the series look like if you played us in the 70s an 80s ? It would be ugly (uglier)?

ROCH HILL PRIDE!
Freshman Team

Post by ROCH HILL PRIDE! »

Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:43 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:42 am
Ed Gennero wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:40 am Is Wheelersburg losing the their mental edge over local teams?
No. Although Every now and then they do lose the SOC. Took west 10 years from the last time.
Ironton and Jackson definitely not intimidated anymore. West and waverly have won league titles recently. I think there is something to it .

They have definitely lost their mental edge. West and waverly have both both won conference titles over wheelersburg the last few years. I wish Rock Hill could've got a shot at burg this year. I think we would be to physical for them.

REDMAN NATION RISE UP!!!

Return to “Football”