Round 3- #6. Wheelersburg (9-3) Vs # 2. Harvest Prep (12-0)

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Round 3- #6. Wheelersburg (9-3) Vs # 2. Harvest Prep (12-0)

Post by greygoose »

Surprised with the fact this game was at Waverly last season that they just didn't play it their again. I've been to NY for a playoff game and honestly I just didn't care for the venue, I'm not sure if they've upgraded the seating or not but it seemed to go backwards away from the field more so than up. The concession area was a clustered mess, probably one of my least favorite venues I've been to for a playoff game. However, on to the game I just don't know that I can see Burg being able to generate enough offense to pull this one out. Preps defense is fairly tough but when Burg has faced upper tier teams this season the offense is non-existent. Ironton-Jackson-West they combined for 22 points and those 3 all have a defense comparable to what Prep is going to put out there, just unable to throw the ball well enough to sustain drives in this one. Prep by 14, after last season I think Burg can better prepare for what HP would like to do offensively and "might" be able to slow them down enough to keep it close.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:02 pm Surprised with the fact this game was at Waverly last season that they just didn't play it their again. I've been to NY for a playoff game and honestly I just didn't care for the venue, I'm not sure if they've upgraded the seating or not but it seemed to go backwards away from the field more so than up. The concession area was a clustered mess, probably one of my least favorite venues I've been to for a playoff game. However, on to the game I just don't know that I can see Burg being able to generate enough offense to pull this one out. Preps defense is fairly tough but when Burg has faced upper tier teams this season the offense is non-existent. Ironton-Jackson-West they combined for 22 points and those 3 all have a defense comparable to what Prep is going to put out there, just unable to throw the ball well enough to sustain drives in this one. Prep by 14, after last season I think Burg can better prepare for what HP would like to do offensively and "might" be able to slow them down enough to keep it close.
Prep. Throws the ball more this year. You wonder if that may play into an advantage like west - Ironton. Burg needs to make them earn every score. They have athletes that can go big chunks. If burg can keep them from doing that and finish drives, they can upset them.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

Post by HumbleAndHungry »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:02 pm Surprised with the fact this game was at Waverly last season that they just didn't play it their again. I've been to NY for a playoff game and honestly I just didn't care for the venue, I'm not sure if they've upgraded the seating or not but it seemed to go backwards away from the field more so than up. The concession area was a clustered mess, probably one of my least favorite venues I've been to for a playoff game. However, on to the game I just don't know that I can see Burg being able to generate enough offense to pull this one out. Preps defense is fairly tough but when Burg has faced upper tier teams this season the offense is non-existent. Ironton-Jackson-West they combined for 22 points and those 3 all have a defense comparable to what Prep is going to put out there, just unable to throw the ball well enough to sustain drives in this one. Prep by 14, after last season I think Burg can better prepare for what HP would like to do offensively and "might" be able to slow them down enough to keep it close.
So let me get this right you guys are surprised the lower seeded team didn’t get a home game again this year 🙄😂

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

HumbleAndHungry wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am
So let me get this right you guys are surprised the lower seeded team didn’t get a home game again this year 🙄😂
He’s a Waverly fan making an observation of the venue. He doesn’t care where it’s being played. He’s right. Chillicothe or Waverly would have been better

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 am
HumbleAndHungry wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:08 am
wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:22 am

"Pretty much the same team from last year except we lost our HB and LT other than that it’s pretty much the same kids that’s been together since 2018"

Any new kids come in, or is it the exact same kids from last year? I recognize the big tackle and the QB.
Not the exact we have some freshman and sophomore’s playing that didn’t play in last years game. I know you guys think we just recruit and that’s the only way we can be this good but it’s not like that at all. Our Jr High and JV programs are what’s giving our guys the experience so that our best guys don’t have to go both ways. If you know football that’s huge going from 7 or 8 guys playing both sides of the ball all game to only maybe 4 or 5 of them because we can now rotate the younger guys in to get some good solid reps in and not have a huge drop off when we do so. The development is what’s key!
Well your CB with the lowest male number is an astounding 81! . The highest in D5 by 15 over the next highest, maybe in the state. So I call shenannigans

Highest in D5 by 15 ok your probably right but I’m sure i could find other schools with way more than 81. Question have you seen Prep play this season? If so name some players that stand out to you and I’ll show you them in little league playing together, Jr High at Prep or them as freshman at Prep.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Don’t even go there Bub!! Burg has traveled further plenty over the years being the higher seed. That doesn’t mean crap to the OH$AA. They know Burg fans will travel so they don’t go by the higher seed.

Waverly was the easier venue to get to. Dangerous drive through the deer capital of the state for both fan bases.

OH$AA has a buddy at NY they are taking care of. This venue makes no sense at all when Waverly put in for it.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:00 am
He’s a Waverly fan making an observation of the venue. He doesn’t care where it’s being played. He’s right. Chillicothe or Waverly would have been better
I think I seen Chilli got a game did Waverley get a game this week? I wouldn't have minded going back there we have never lost a game at Waverly, but I think I seen a post saying Burg has never won at Nelsonville any truth to that?
Last edited by HumbleAndHungry on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:14 am

Don’t even go there Bub!! Burg has traveled further plenty over the years being the higher seed. That doesn’t mean crap to the OH$AA. They know Burg fans will travel so they don’t go by the higher seed.

Waverly was the easier venue to get to. Dangerous drive through the deer capital of the state for both fan bases.

OH$AA has a buddy at NY they are taking care of. This venue makes no sense at all when Waverly put in for it.
I can agree to that take

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

Harvest Prep is the higher seed, so I understand them getting the shorter drive.

Harvest Prep ---> Nelsonville-York = 50 minutes
Burg ----> NY= 1 hour 38 minutes

Harvest Prep ---> Waverly = 1 hour 12 minutes
Burg ---> Waverly = 38 minutes

Was Burg the higher ranked team last season when it was played at Waverly?

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

Realist wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:52 am Harvest Prep is the higher seed, so I understand them getting the shorter drive.

No Prep was Higher last year also

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Realist wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:52 am Harvest Prep is the higher seed, so I understand them getting the shorter drive.

Like I said above, that higher seed is BS. Burg played Versailles twice in Cincinnati when they were the higher seed. Look at the difference in that travel.

Waverly was the smarter place as it is a straight shot down and up a 4 lane highway. Burg has quite a bit of driving on two Kane roads unless they take the long way there by interstate.

Like I said one of two things happened. HP complained about Waverly (really can’t see that happening) or someone is giving NY a game this weekend.

Waverly would have streamed the game where as evidently NY doesn’t have the capability to do it. Lot of older people won’t make that drive but would pay to watch it.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Higher seed getting a shorter drive isn’t a thing anymore.

Do we know if Waverly put in to host or not?

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Has Wheelersburg ever won a playoff game in Athens county?

1997? Nelsonville-York @ Nelsonville old HS field
2003-Shenandoah- Athens Stadium what is now Joe Burrow Stadium
2009-Fredericktown- Nelsonville Boston Stadium
2010-Fredericktown- Nelsonville Boston Stadium
2013-Columbus Bishop Hartley-Nelsonville Boston Stadium

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Buck Nut
Freshman Team

Post by Buck Nut »

vladimir wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:27 pm Has Wheelersburg ever won a playoff game in Athens county?

The 97 game between NY and Wheelersburg was at Lancaster I believe.

Go Bucks!!
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:31 am Prep. Throws the ball more this year. You wonder if that may play into an advantage like west - Ironton. Burg needs to make them earn every score. They have athletes that can go big chunks. If burg can keep them from doing that and finish drives, they can upset them.
The forecast for Friday is not looking good. Lots of rain and windy. That could have some effect on the passing game.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 pm Higher seed getting a shorter drive isn’t a thing anymore.

Do we know if Waverly put in to host or not?

I thought I saw a Waverly poster say they did and he was shocked they didn’t get it.
Last edited by yabbadabbadoo on Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

vladimir wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:27 pm Has Wheelersburg ever won a playoff game in Athens county?

Nope, they’ve never won in Athens county.

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:00 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:31 am Prep. Throws the ball more this year. You wonder if that may play into an advantage like west - Ironton. Burg needs to make them earn every score. They have athletes that can go big chunks. If burg can keep them from doing that and finish drives, they can upset them.
The forecast for Friday is not looking good. Lots of rain and windy. That could have some effect on the passing game.
Adds to the intrigue. Both teams are run dominant and playing on turf may negate some adversity from the rain. Definitely will add to the test of mental toughness.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:00 pm
looks like rain early but should move out before game, according to forecast

HumbleAndHungry
Freshman Team

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:11 pm

Like I said above, that higher seed is BS. Burg played Versailles twice in Cincinnati when they were the higher seed. Look at the difference in that travel.

Waverly was the smarter place as it is a straight shot down and up a 4 lane highway. Burg has quite a bit of driving on two Kane roads unless they take the long way there by interstate.

Like I said one of two things happened. HP complained about Waverly (really can’t see that happening) or someone is giving NY a game this weekend.

Waverly would have streamed the game where as evidently NY doesn’t have the capability to do it. Lot of older people won’t make that drive but would pay to watch it.
HP had no reason to complain heck we would play on the moon if we had to lol. We were kinda bummed we got the visitors treatment overall but we got it Burg had more fans so they got the home side, it still didn't matter all that much. At this point the higher seed only determines what color jersey you wear. Now if it was a 2 or 3 hour difference in a drive maybe but Waverly isn't that bad. I did see someone earlier saying someone from OHSAA is doing a buddy from NY a favor in letting them host this contest.

Return to “Football”