2023 Ironton Tigers

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: 2023 Ironton Tigers

Post by wobycat »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:35 pm The size differential wasn't that great...I believe one division separated the two. We played schools slightly larger than us - always have. No way burg should've avoided us.
Also, burgers tend to underestimate the negative impact of the regime after Lutz. It was a sudden and drastic drop-off.
My hope is that Pendleton gets better with age in regard to coaching.
You guys have a great staff...always seem to improve throughout the season, like we used to under Lutz.
I don’t think they would have avoided them today but back then I could see why. Players didn’t train and practice like they used to. And remember that back then there were only 5 divisions

The amount of boys burg had compared to Ironton was significant. Players can train better to allow them to play up.

As far as the difference in cb, there is a vast difference. Bringing In two of Ashlands best players and northwest’s best player is far more different than having a few kids that have attended burg from kindergarten that’s lived in south webster their whole life. Besides Ironton has plenty of those kids now any way. Ironton should win when you have better players. I’d say the same thing if burg was getting in players. Which from the sounds of things might be the future trend down here.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Again, agree to disagree. It's irrelevant when they come in and from how far away, in my opinion. They are either born and bred in district or not. If a kid lives in South Webster, Minford, etc. and goes to the burg, that simply is not a burg kid. Move on. You're not giving ground and neither am I.

Rationalize - To explain or justify (one's behavior) with incorrect reasons or excuses, often without conscious awareness.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:32 pm Again, agree to disagree. It's irrelevant when they come in and from how far away, in my opinion. They are either born and bred in district or not. If a kid lives in South Webster, Minford, etc. and goes to the burg, that simply is not a burg kid. Move on. You're not giving ground and neither am I.

Rationalize - To explain or justify (one's behavior) with incorrect reasons or excuses, often without conscious awareness.
I’m ok with you disagreeing but I can’t understand how you can even closely justify your argument that a player who went to burg from kindergarten to high school is the same as the best proven player from another school.

Hypothetically The kid from webster might turn out to be a good player but if you could trade that player for another teams best player, you would in a heartbeat as a coach. What you said is highly irrational whether you give ground or not.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:35 pm The size differential wasn't that great...I believe one division separated the two. We played schools slightly larger than us - always have. No way burg should've avoided us.
Also, burgers tend to underestimate the negative impact of the regime after Lutz. It was a sudden and drastic drop-off.
You guys have a great staff...always seem to improve throughout the season, like we used to under Lutz.

And we'll simply never agree about kids from neighboring districts being "burg kids". I see it as rationalizing when you say they're burg kids because of this or that. By definition, they're not. We'll have to agree to disagree.
The size differential was huge back in the 80’s. Ironton as a town was 30% larger than they are today. Was more than double Burg back then.

Those who argue about the border kids make a false assumption. You assume that “if Burg closed their borders, then these kids would go to the school in that district”. That is completely false.

1. The subdivisions recently built outside of Burg district would not have been built if Burg was not an option.

2. These families moved to these border houses knowing they could get a better deal on a house and still send their kids to Burg. Again, their decision would have been different if Burg school was taken off the table.

Proof of this: most of Burg’s best football teams were during the years when Burg had closed borders. Their first state title occurred when they had closed borders.

But to assume Burg would not land these kids living outside the border is completely false since most (if not all) would have bought in town just to go to Burg.

Also, what you don’t realize is that many who live in Burg hate the open borders. If this was taken up for a vote, I wouldn’t be surprised if the borders were closed. Now compare this with Ironton’s situation. Do you think Ironton would vote to eliminate football transfers?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm
Also, what you don’t realize is that many who live in Burg hate the open borders. If this was taken up for a vote, I wouldn’t be surprised if the borders were closed. Now compare this with Ironton’s situation. Do you think Ironton would vote to eliminate football transfers?
Did I just make up some bullshit to make my team sound noble and back up the tired ass points that I have made hundreds of times on this forum and will hundreds more times? Yes. In this made up bullshit, is Ironton as noble as my team? No, they are big cheaters.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

And we'll simply never agree about kids from neighboring districts being "burg kids". I see it as rationalizing when you say they're burg kids because of this or that. By definition, they're not. We'll have to agree to disagree.
The size differential was huge back in the 80’s. Ironton as a town was 30% larger than they are today. Was more than double Burg back then.

Those who argue about the border kids make a false assumption. You assume that “if Burg closed their borders, then these kids would go to the school in that district”. That is completely false.

1. The subdivisions recently built outside of Burg district would not have been built if Burg was not an option.

2. These families moved to these border houses knowing they could get a better deal on a house and still send their kids to Burg. Again, their decision would have been different if Burg school was taken off the table.

Proof of this: most of Burg’s best football teams were during the years when Burg had closed borders. Their first state title occurred when they had closed borders.

But to assume Burg would not land these kids living outside the border is completely false since most (if not all) would have bought in town just to go to Burg.

The people live in the Burg hate open borders please that is such a ridiculous statement!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:00 am
Did I just make up some bullshit to make my team sound noble and back up the tired ass points that I have made hundreds of times on this forum and will hundreds more times? Yes. In this made up bullshit, is Ironton as noble as my team? No, they are big cheaters.
Never called Ironton cheaters.

As for what I said, that’s reality. Sorry you choose not to accept the truth.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

osu 77 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:40 am

The people live in the Burg hate open borders please that is such a ridiculous statement!
You obviously don’t understand the why, hence your comment. Amazing how so many comment on this without knowing anything about it.

Burg property taxes are high. So those within the school district are paying these high taxes, while those outside are not. Plus their tax money funds another school. This is not difficult to understand.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

If brought to a vote Wheelersburg would 100% end all open enrollment. Vote would not be close

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Blitz wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:48 am If brought to a vote Wheelersburg would 100% end all open enrollment. Vote would not be close
Exactly!! Open borders not popular to those inside the district. Amazing how many people outside of Wheelersburg comment on this without a clue.

I know Ironton fans chime in on this to make themselves feel better about their program. In their minds, no program could be successful without recruits. They still can’t wrap their mind around the idea that most small programs, including Wheelersburg, build their programs with internal talent. Not dependent on other schools to develop and supply the players.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

I know burg fans chime in on this to make themselves feel better about their program - kidding themselves into thinking it's all internal talent. I've talked to several people about this over the years. We usually enjoy a laugh about the inability of burgers to see the obvious. I'm going to try to not respond to this any more. It's tough, though, when I see the hypocrisy of the burg looking down at other schools who get kids from out of district.

mustard
Varsity

Post by mustard »

LockHerUp wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 pm I know burg fans chime in on this to make themselves feel better about their program - kidding themselves into thinking it's all internal talent. I've talked to several people about this over the years. We usually enjoy a laugh about the inability of burgers to see the obvious. I'm going to try to not respond to this any more. It's tough, though, when I see the hypocrisy of the burg looking down at other schools who get kids from out of district.
:lol: doesn’t matter…both teams are only good because of them…those fans who try to brag about the winning and not recognize it are straight up looney

Old Pendleton was mediocre until he started raking them in

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

You will never find a post from me saying Burg doesn't benefit from transfers we definitely HAVE, DO and WILL. Any poster from Burg saying otherwise is delusional. Any poster from Burg that says our parents don't actively try to get kids to come here (recruit) is delusional. Burg has been doing it for 30 years. My family is 4th generation and its been going on for most of that time. I don't like open enrollment I'm ok getting kids to come to Burg just think they should move here or stay out. It's the reason we have a school that's too small and a gym the size of New Boston's and way too many kids per teacher. The vast majority of our community feels this way. I would like to see penalty free transfer's as long as the tax money and state money follows the kid to the new district. JMO

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:20 pm I know burg fans chime in on this to make themselves feel better about their program - kidding themselves into thinking it's all internal talent. I've talked to several people about this over the years. We usually enjoy a laugh about the inability of burgers to see the obvious. I'm going to try to not respond to this any more. It's tough, though, when I see the hypocrisy of the burg looking down at other schools who get kids from out of district.
Trying to explain the difference that you can’t possibly comprehend.

Saying kids that sign up to go to Burg in kindergarten are the same as recruiting kids (specifically for football) that are already high school level is truly insanity.

How much time did Ironton coaches put into Keyes and Perkins when they were in grade school? How much did they teach them in junior high? Which Ironton teachers in grade school and junior high had an early impact on these kids?

How about Felder, Pittman, Lintz…. Who at Ironton helped develop them before they reached high school?

But again, I commend Pendleton for bringing these kids in, otherwise Ironton would be slugging it out just to win the OVC on occasions. He’s smart enough to know that is the only way he can consistently win at Ironton.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Blitz wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:34 pm You will never find a post from me saying Burg doesn't benefit from transfers we definitely HAVE, DO and WILL. Any poster from Burg saying otherwise is delusional. Any poster from Burg that says our parents don't actively try to get kids to come here (recruit) is delusional. Burg has been doing it for 30 years. My family is 4th generation and its been going on for most of that time. I don't like open enrollment I'm ok getting kids to come to Burg just think they should move here or stay out. It's the reason we have a school that's too small and a gym the size of New Boston's and way too many kids per teacher. The vast majority of our community feels this way. I would like to see penalty free transfer's as long as the tax money and state money follows the kid to the new district. JMO
I’ll say it.

Burg rarely gets transfers. Look at the past 10 years, and maybe 3-4 over that time. They’ve had more transfer out.

Go back 30 years, and you might get around 7-8; Burg did have closed borders during part of those years…

I know the Burg people that could make it happen. That have the clout and the positions in the school to make this possible. And these folks do not do it. Hell, they could have went after one of Ironton’s recent recruits but refused to do so.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Man it is a bummer that Wheelersburg doesn’t have school board elections, given the vast majority of their community would prefer to end the open enrollment policy. Maybe one day the people of Wheelersburg will rise up and end this injustice.

Also a bummer that the only place this can be discussed is the 2023 Ironton football thread. I wonder what percent of this thread is Wheelersburg people whining. I would answer, but my Ironton education didn’t prepare me for this.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

TigerBob wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:30 pm Man it is a bummer that Wheelersburg doesn’t have school board elections, given the vast majority of their community would prefer to end the open enrollment policy. Maybe one day the people of Wheelersburg will rise up and end this injustice.

Also a bummer that the only place this can be discussed is the 2023 Ironton football thread. I wonder what percent of this thread is Wheelersburg people whining. I would answer, but my Ironton education didn’t prepare me for this.
Good points. And jealousy towards Ironton runs rampant on here. :mrgreen:

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Grown men still whining about an opportunity that's open to all schools. There is a reason Ironton gets all these transfers. The staff sells the program and they promote these kids to colleges after they get there.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

gobucs20 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:14 pm Grown men still whining about an opportunity that's open to all schools. There is a reason Ironton gets all these transfers. The staff sells the program and they promote these kids to colleges after they get there.
I agree we have more posters on here from Wheelersburg than Ironton.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Looks like Gavin Hart (RB) from Notre Dame also now at Ironton according to the Twitters.*

Return to “Football”