August 26, 2023 Ironton 35 - 14 Jackson

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Re: JACKSON AT IRONTON

Post by Taylormade »

GoBigI wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:24 pm Key takeaways from week 2:
1. If we don’t find a center who can snap and block, we are gonna lose some games we shouldn’t. There is no excuse for a 6’4” QB to have to jump to retrieve every snap. This messes up timing on plays that could go for much better games. FIND A CENTER!
2. Zayne Williams has clearly established himself as the #1 running back. Tyler Carmon is the next best back on this roster and is getting no action. Get him involved.
3. Thacker looks great throwing the ball when he has time. The O-Line did an excellent job for the most part tonight giving him time.
4. Terry is a difference maker. Get the ball in his hands as much as possible. That was a great look getting him the ball at the HB position late in the game. Williams needs 20 touches per game, Terry needs 15.
5. This is the poorest tackling I’ve seen from an Ironton linebacker group in a very long time, this week AND last. It may be time to mix personnel up a bit.
Great win! Keep improving!
I disagree on Carmen being the 2nd best back on the team. The kid is a sophomore and hasn't played varsity except in mop up roles. He will get his time. I also think the O line is our weak spot. I will agree Terry and in my opinion Pittman both need more touches. We are improving and moving in the right direction

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Taylormade wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:44 am
1. If we don’t find a center who can snap and block, we are gonna lose some games we shouldn’t. There is no excuse for a 6’4” QB to have to jump to retrieve every snap. This messes up timing on plays that could go for much better games. FIND A CENTER!
2. Zayne Williams has clearly established himself as the #1 running back. Tyler Carmon is the next best back on this roster and is getting no action. Get him involved.
3. Thacker looks great throwing the ball when he has time. The O-Line did an excellent job for the most part tonight giving him time.
4. Terry is a difference maker. Get the ball in his hands as much as possible. That was a great look getting him the ball at the HB position late in the game. Williams needs 20 touches per game, Terry needs 15.
5. This is the poorest tackling I’ve seen from an Ironton linebacker group in a very long time, this week AND last. It may be time to mix personnel up a bit.
I disagree on Carmen being the 2nd best back on the team. The kid is a sophomore and hasn't played varsity except in mop up roles. He will get his time. I also think the O line is our weak spot. I will agree Terry and in my opinion Pittman both need more touches. We are improving and moving in the right direction
- Offensive line must improve a lot.
- Williams is #1 Hart is def #2. Strong athletic 1,2, punch and THEN what I will from now on be referring to as THE TERRY EFFECT, out of the backfield. Dangerous wrinkle. Then QB1, then the rest. QB1 is under too much pressure on passing downs. And yes Center isn't stable. Williams and Hart are doing what they are doing NOW per mostly ability. Vision will improve as season goes .

Defense needs to improve a lot.

Tackling. Discipline. Secondary as well. There were a few times Ironton didn't stop Jackson. Jackson just didn't convert. On both run and pass.
Defense have flashes of being good on a series and then another, but they are not consistent just yet AND I would like to see them be a little nastier. More fire on the defensive side of the ball.
- note: Pittman is a pretty good defensive & sp teams player also for anyone who hasn't noticed yet.

Coaching: Sometimes the offensive rotation annoys me. I like depth - but I also appreciate rhythm. I didnt like the pass on 1st down late when Jackson still has two timeouts. We are up 2 scores. Just run it.

Noteable: Seen Kayden Edwards on sp teams & defense & ALMOST offense but a timeout was called & they came back out w a different idea.

Listen to me now: Terry in backfield with Williams, - Pittman & Edwards out wide. 👀 [ i think its an interesting lil combo to make defenses aware of. Pendleton def teased using him on offense. Thats a LOT of speed on the field.I like it.

Lastly, the goal is Canton right? So thats how I will grade them. That said we need to improve and GROW UP A LOT in all the areas and aspects that win the last one. Good week 1 to week 2 improvement. Long way to go. Plenty potential. Solid win.

QB1 also rushes himself a bit too. Not all bad cause he is a dual threat. Takes some seasoning to recognize WHEN to do what you do. He will get there. He's not quite where he needs to be..

Also: nobody says much but kicking game is also solid.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ironton really cleaned things up this week. Gonna be tough to beat them when they don’t beat themselves. Williams clearly #1 back for Ironton...will be the best running back in southeastern Ohio by end of season. Schreck impacts game on offense, defense, and special teams. Solid team in all phases.

Jackson will be fine. One-dimensional offense limits their ceiling, but still going to be a a D3 playoff team. Game with Burg next week will be a rock fight, but huge playoff points for winner.*

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:06 am Ironton really cleaned things up this week. Gonna be tough to beat them when they don’t beat themselves. Williams clearly #1 back for Ironton...will be the best running back in southeastern Ohio by end of season. Schreck impacts game on offense, defense, and special teams. Solid team in all phases.

Jackson will be fine. One-dimensional offense limits their ceiling, but still going to be a a D3 playoff team. Game with Burg next week will be a rock fight, but huge playoff points for winner.*
& HUGE PLAYOFF POINTS FOR the FighTing Tigers.

It’s gonna take every ounce of self belief & Self discipline, & Desire to show Us ALL that these:

“coming together Tigers”

wanna keep progressing consistently!

ConGrats Tigers!

Good luck Jackson!!!

Mr Shifty
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr Shifty »

To say Mr Shifty was surprised about Ironton's performance against Jackson would be an understatement. Not that they beat Jackson and by so much but something else. The discipline The Fighting Tigers displayed. Whata turn around from the Burg game. Gone were the stupid penalties that hurt them so much before. They need to keep building on this.

They have to. To go back they'll embarrass themselves in two weeks in front of the whole tri-state

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Mr Shifty wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:07 am To say Mr Shifty was surprised about Ironton's performance against Jackson would be an understatement. Not that they beat Jackson and by so much but something else. The discipline The Fighting Tigers displayed. Whata turn around from the Burg game. Gone were the stupid penalties that hurt them so much before. They need to keep building on this.

They have to. To go back they'll embarrass themselves in two weeks in front of the whole tri-state
I have one huge concern. Ironton is gonna have to sustain actual drives against Midland or it will.be LIGHTS OUT early for Ironton.

Midland is as.deep or deeper than Ironton
Midland.is bigger.
Midland.is as fast or faster.

A.sweep to Terry wont break the game open vs Midland. They will need actual well executed drives to win.

If they tackle against Midland like they did last night vs Jackson, Midlands Curtis Jones will rush for 200.yards. Not to mention they have ANOTHER 1,000 yard rusher and.a 1st yr QB1 transfer from Parkersburg South who can do it all.

And in the meantime - Fairland is the trap game.

These Tigers are gonna have to GROW UP fast.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:00 am
- Williams is #1 Hart is def #2. Strong athletic 1,2, punch and THEN what I will from now on be referring to as THE TERRY EFFECT, out of the backfield. Dangerous wrinkle. Then QB1, then the rest. QB1 is under too much pressure on passing downs. And yes Center isn't stable. Williams and Hart are doing what they are doing NOW per mostly ability. Vision will improve as season goes .

Tackling. Discipline. Secondary as well. There were a few times Ironton didn't stop Jackson. Jackson just didn't convert. On both run and pass.
Defense have flashes of being good on a series and then another, but they are not consistent just yet AND I would like to see them be a little nastier. More fire on the defensive side of the ball.
- note: Pittman is a pretty good defensive & sp teams player also for anyone who hasn't noticed yet.

Coaching: Sometimes the offensive rotation annoys me. I like depth - but I also appreciate rhythm. I didnt like the pass on 1st down late when Jackson still has two timeouts. We are up 2 scores. Just run it.

Noteable: Seen Kayden Edwards on sp teams & defense & ALMOST offense but a timeout was called & they came back out w a different idea.

Listen to me now: Terry in backfield with Williams, - Pittman & Edwards out wide. 👀 [ i think its an interesting lil combo to make defenses aware of. Pendleton def teased using him on offense. Thats a LOT of speed on the field.I like it.

Lastly, the goal is Canton right? So thats how I will grade them. That said we need to improve and GROW UP A LOT in all the areas and aspects that win the last one. Good week 1 to week 2 improvement. Long way to go. Plenty potential. Solid win.

QB1 also rushes himself a bit too. Not all bad cause he is a dual threat. Takes some seasoning to recognize WHEN to do what you do. He will get there. He's not quite where he needs to be..

Agree to disagree, I guess. Hart runs straight up and down and often runs into his own linemen. He also goes down on first contact quite a bit. Carmon does not. He has good balance and MUCH better vision than Hart. I believe Copas is also better than Hart. I’m at practice quite a bit and see this constantly. Also, to your point about Pittman, he has one catch in 2 games. Schreck is the clear #2 receiver on this team. Pittman also puts himself in good positions to make plays on defense but is a horrible tackler. That may come from playing elsewhere for most of his life but he tackles everyone around the neck and helmet area. This was apparent as Jackson’s RB ran through him and 2 others for a score last night. One thing you said I do 75% like…Williams and Terry in the backfield, Edwards and SCHRECK out wide.
Last edited by GoBigI on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:24 am
Mr Shifty wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:07 am To say Mr Shifty was surprised about Ironton's performance against Jackson would be an understatement. Not that they beat Jackson and by so much but something else. The discipline The Fighting Tigers displayed. Whata turn around from the Burg game. Gone were the stupid penalties that hurt them so much before. They need to keep building on this.

I have one huge concern. Ironton is gonna have to sustain actual drives against Midland or it will.be LIGHTS OUT early for Ironton.

Midland.is bigger.

A.sweep to Terry wont break the game open vs Midland. They will need actual well executed drives to win.

If they tackle against Midland like they did last night vs Jackson, Midlands Curtis Jones will rush for 200.yards. Not to mention they have ANOTHER 1,000 yard rusher and.a 1st yr QB1 transfer from Parkersburg South who can do it all.

This will be a really good game for Ironton.

From what I’ve seen, Ironton has incredible speed and players that can go to the house on any play; Terry is scary! The real question, how will Ironton do sustaining long drives against teams they would see deeper in the playoffs? Unfortunately, besides Midland, there’s no one remaining on their schedule to give them that level of competition. May not find this out until playoffs.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

GoBigI wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:09 am
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:00 am

Agree to disagree, I guess. Hart runs straight up and down and often runs into his own linemen. He also goes down on first contact quite a bit. Carmon does not. He has good balance and MUCH better vision than Hart. I believe Copas is also better than Hart. I’m at practice quite a bit and see this constantly. Also, to your point about Pittman, he has one catch in 2 games. Schreck is the clear #2 receiver on this team. Pittman also puts himself in good positions to make plays on defense but is a horrible tackler. That may come from playing elsewhere for most of his life but he tackles everyone around the neck and helmet area. This was apparent as Jackson’s RB ran through him and 2 other for a score last night. One thing you said I do 75% like…Williams and Terry in the backfield, Edwards and SCHRECk out wide.
Well practice isnt a game so i dk about carmon. Never seen him do much yet even in clean up.

Ironton doesnt tackle well yet imo. Gotta get better.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:12 am

Midland.is bigger.

From what I’ve seen, Ironton has incredible speed and players that can go to the house on any play; Terry is scary! The real question, how will Ironton do sustaining long drives against teams they would see deeper in the playoffs? Unfortunately, besides Midland, there’s no one remaining on their schedule to give them that level of competition. May not find this out until playoffs.
Its gonna be a real test. Midland fields about 100 boys give or take. Depth talent and experience.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Midland.is bigger.

Terry wont see those holes vs Midland. Gotta sustain and execute drives.

TigerFella
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFella »

My takes from the game, Ironton’s line got bullied around a lot in the running game this game. Jackson always has some big kids and it was noticeable, they were threatening to start driving at will in the 3rd quarter. O line held up a little better at least.

A young DB unit gave up a couple of wide open looks including what should’ve been a walk in TD but their pass rush was actually really good once again and prevented a clean set throw.

Both Hart and Williams looked good, I honestly don’t agree with people saying Williams is by far the better back, they’re a complimentary 1-2 and both can run well.

Ironton played much cleaner this game which was lovely, would still like to not see a nice pick up for a first down killed by a penalty. Hopefully we’ll get there.

Jackson’s #6 is a stud, very tough tackle. Their QB looked solid when he could actually set his feet to throw. That Oline is very good in the run game.

Overall a fun game that Jackson was threatening to take over before Ironton got some wind back in them and then the dropped catches killed their chances to keep it close. Ironton made them pay shortly after.

Mr Shifty
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr Shifty »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:35 am

Midland.is bigger.

Terry wont see those holes vs Midland. Gotta sustain and execute drives.
Holes? Where were they all at? Last night he pulled off a one man reverse. Right side was covered when he turned and ran all the way back to the left side and notched up a big run. he was zzig sagging all night long.

You have to be half sick if you're an Ironton opponent and see he's only a junior and Williams is a sophomore

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

TigerFella wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:16 am My takes from the game, Ironton’s line got bullied around a lot in the running game this game. Jackson always has some big kids and it was noticeable, they were threatening to start driving at will in the 3rd quarter. O line held up a little better at least.

A young DB unit gave up a couple of wide open looks including what should’ve been a walk in TD but their pass rush was actually really good once again and prevented a clean set throw.

Both Hart and Williams looked good, I honestly don’t agree with people saying Williams is by far the better back, they’re a complimentary 1-2 and both can run well.

Ironton played much cleaner this game which was lovely, would still like to not see a nice pick up for a first down killed by a penalty. Hopefully we’ll get there.

Jackson’s #6 is a stud, very tough tackle. Their QB looked solid when he could actually set his feet to throw. That Oline is very good in the run game.

Overall a fun game that Jackson was threatening to take over before Ironton got some wind back in them and then the dropped catches killed their chances to keep it close. Ironton made them pay shortly after.
Never heard lovely in a football post

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

artisgilmore wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:30 pm
TigerFella wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:16 am My takes from the game, Ironton’s line got bullied around a lot in the running game this game. Jackson always has some big kids and it was noticeable, they were threatening to start driving at will in the 3rd quarter. O line held up a little better at least.

Perhaps a bit of an EngLish Gent?

CHEERS MATE!

sportphotos
JV Team

Post by sportphotos »

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:42 pm
artisgilmore wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:30 pm

Perhaps a bit of an EngLish Gent?

CHEERS MATE!
Aussie

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

Midland.is bigger.

I remember when Ironton scrimmaged Midland when Terry was a freshman. He broke everyones ankles on the field for a touchdown. Midland has no Terry and no other team around here has a Terry. He is the most explosive and talented kid in this area. Midland is the bigger school and “should” be able to get the W! I think Midlands Linebackers look slow. Maybe they aren’t, we will see. So the pressure will be on them. Tigers grow up fast? C’mon! They replaced 8 on defense and i think 9 on offense and are 2-0! They beat burg and jackson, not like they are push overs. For fairland, they have beat west and wellston…neither of those two teams are very good. Ironton would put a running clock on either of them.

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:06 am Ironton really cleaned things up this week. Gonna be tough to beat them when they don’t beat themselves. Williams clearly #1 back for Ironton...will be the best running back in southeastern Ohio by end of season. Schreck impacts game on offense, defense, and special teams. Solid team in all phases.

a playoff team to go maybe 2 and done as usual

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

BigSpoon wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:04 am

Midland.is bigger.

I remember when Ironton scrimmaged Midland when Terry was a freshman. He broke everyones ankles on the field for a touchdown. Midland has no Terry and no other team around here has a Terry. He is the most explosive and talented kid in this area. Midland is the bigger school and “should” be able to get the W! I think Midlands Linebackers look slow. Maybe they aren’t, we will see. So the pressure will be on them. Tigers grow up fast? C’mon! They replaced 8 on defense and i think 9 on offense and are 2-0! They beat burg and jackson, not like they are push overs. For fairland, they have beat west and wellston…neither of those two teams are very good. Ironton would put a running clock on either of them.
You know what I remember? Ironton looking amazing vs local seo teams then getting to Canton and getting MOLLY WHOPPED year after year, after year, after year. Go ahead and walk into Huntington vs Midland overconfident and watch what happens. Gotta improve or it will be a long night for us. Do NOT say I didnt tell ya so. Better take them seriously. Midland CAN beat Ironton and vice versa. This isnt a rinky dink ovc or seo school..And its not a scrimmage and Midland has the edge in experience..and Midland is very well coached and Ironton should know since our HC was the 3rd option behind MIDLANDS HC. Way too cocky. Smh

Return to “Football”