September 15, 2023 Waverly 21 - 24 Portsmouth West

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Week 5: West (3-1) at Waverly (3-1) Saturday

Post by VetteMan »

I'm hesitant to pick a winner, maybe a slight edge to the Tigers, being they have home field advantage. Should be a great high school football game. Hope for an injury free game for both teams.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Golfer23 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:04 pm This game will come down to who can get stops. According to max preps west defense gets a bunch of them. Averaging 113 tackles a game is pretty legit. Fariland ran 77 plays and west had 127 team tackles that tells me their defense comes to play and gang tackles!! Sharpen your pencil smurray!!
Just curious what does the amount of tackles per game have to do with getting stops?? The more tackles you'd have means couple things, 1 you had multiple guys in on the tackle and 2 the other team was able to drive the ball and you couldn't get stops until later in the drive, also playing running teams up that total as well. I don't believe the 2 are connected at all, if Fairland ran 77 plays and they scored what 5 tds? Then that's 72 plays where a tackle was made or incomplete pass happened and that's not counting kickoff or special team returns in a game they lost and gave up 32 points in so it looks to me your per game tackle stat is kind of pointless. Waverly has given up 77 points and West has given up 90

Golfer23
Waterboy

Post by Golfer23 »

greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:47 pm
Golfer23 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:04 pm This game will come down to who can get stops. According to max preps west defense gets a bunch of them. Averaging 113 tackles a game is pretty legit. Fariland ran 77 plays and west had 127 team tackles that tells me their defense comes to play and gang tackles!! Sharpen your pencil smurray!!
Just curious what does the amount of tackles per game have to do with getting stops?? The more tackles you'd have means couple things, 1 you had multiple guys in on the tackle and 2 the other team was able to drive the ball and you couldn't get stops until later in the drive, also playing running teams up that total as well. I don't believe the 2 are connected at all, if Fairland ran 77 plays and they scored what 5 tds? Then that's 72 plays where a tackle was made or incomplete pass happened and that's not counting kickoff or special team returns in a game they lost and gave up 32 points in so it looks to me your per game tackle stat is kind of pointless. Waverly has given up 77 points and West has given up 90
Typically how many non scoring or incomplete pass plays are ran is how many tackles a team should have. Assisted tackles are only scored as .5 of a tackle and rarely given to more than two players in on the tackle. So if two player combine on the stop then both players are given .5 for the tackle which equals 1. Most high school teams run around 60 plays per game. That’s 60 possible chances to get a tackle. In 4 games that’s 240 tackles if I’m doing all the math correctly. According to max preps the national average is 43.1 tackles a game. I guess 113 a game is a little far fetched!!
So back to your point you are correct the only thing you can go off of is points per game.
Last edited by Golfer23 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Am I wrong thinking that this game was suppose to be played at West this year? If I remember correctly we went 2 years in a row at Waverly while our turf was delayed getting installed. I thought there was a handshake agreement that we would play at West for two consecutive years and then be back on track.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

It is my understanding that West asked to play it Waverly this year to get it back on track.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

hbk1999 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:19 pm It is my understanding that West asked to play it Waverly this year to get it back on track.
Seems weird we would request it. Seeing as it hurts us. If had back to back it would be fair, and then be back on track after we both got 2 consecutives. Don’t know why we would give up the huge gate and home field advantage.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:06 pm Am I wrong thinking that this game was suppose to be played at West this year? If I remember correctly we went 2 years in a row at Waverly while our turf was delayed getting installed. I thought there was a handshake agreement that we would play at West for two consecutive years and then be back on track.
I thought the same thing, as well but who knows maybe it wasn't meant for this year maybe it's for the following 2 years. Not sure but I'm with you in that I also thought there would be back to back games played at West.

Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

Coach said at the beginning of the yr, he switched it due to his seniors next yr would only have 4 home games and that’s only 4 games to collect gate and concession. So he wanted to keep it 5 and 5

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Golfer23 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:12 am
greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:47 pm
Typically how many non scoring or incomplete pass plays are ran is how many tackles a team should have. Assisted tackles are only scored as .5 of a tackle and rarely given to more than two players in on the tackle. So if two player combine on the stop then both players are given .5 for the tackle which equals 1. Most high school teams run around 60 plays per game. That’s 60 possible chances to get a tackle. In 4 games that’s 240 tackles if I’m doing all the math correctly. According to max preps the national average is 43.1 tackles a game. I guess 113 a game is a little far fetched!!
So back to your point you are correct the only thing you can go off of is points per game.
What?? lol I've been around football my whole life...have no idea what any of this means. If two trains leave the station....

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

For Waverly to win it will come down to the line play on both sides. If they can allow Hurd to do what he does best and keep Kelly upright and he hits some big throws I really like our chances. As usual West is very physical and sound on defense. Our defense also needs to be sound at tackling as another poster pointed out that has been the thorn in Waverlys side year after year

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:52 pm For Waverly to win it will come down to the line play on both sides. If they can allow Hurd to do what he does best and keep Kelly upright and he hits some big throws I really like our chances. As usual West is very physical and sound on defense. Our defense also needs to be sound at tackling as another poster pointed out that has been the thorn in Waverlys side year after year
Waverly was without a starting DE where Valley was successful running the ball last week. He is back tomorrow night so hopefully he makes a difference with that.

unclequis
Riding the Bench

Post by unclequis »

SOSA Livestream link to tonight's game: https://www.youtube.com/live/ZMttZa7nFT ... -gMoC63-E7

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Game day Sider country. Expect a very big crowd with huge league implications. Winner of this most likely sets up a show down with the Pirates for the crown. As per usual.

Expect Waverly to take an early lead. Ride the home field advantage. As the game wears on, West physicality and conditioning takes over. West wins 46-36

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:56 pm Game day Sider country. Expect a very big crowd with huge league implications. Winner of this most likely sets up a show down with the Pirates for the crown. As per usual.

Expect Waverly to take an early lead. Ride the home field advantage. As the game wears on, West physicality and conditioning takes over. West wins 46-36
I think since we're going into week 5 that at this point teams are conditioned well enough to handle things. I'm assuming you mean West physicality will wear on Waverly over the course of the game. 1 thing I do disagree with is that I don't think West can get behind early on, if Waverly is able to snag a 2 score lead and get West to push the issue that's not something that is in West wheelhouse this year. This should be a dandy of a game, even going back to last year when West was hands down the better team this was a 7 point game. Good luck to both teams, let's go with West by 7 with a late score.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I’ll take west, is this game on stream?

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:02 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:56 pm Game day Sider country. Expect a very big crowd with huge league implications. Winner of this most likely sets up a show down with the Pirates for the crown. As per usual.

I think since we're going into week 5 that at this point teams are conditioned well enough to handle things. I'm assuming you mean West physicality will wear on Waverly over the course of the game. 1 thing I do disagree with is that I don't think West can get behind early on, if Waverly is able to snag a 2 score lead and get West to push the issue that's not something that is in West wheelhouse this year. This should be a dandy of a game, even going back to last year when West was hands down the better team this was a 7 point game. Good luck to both teams, let's go with West by 7 with a late score.
Theoretically you are right, but I seen it happen to Fairland and Portsmouth. Fairland had a 2 score lead in the Fourth. We took a lead with 2 minutes left, and with 4 seconds on the clock lost. Fairland has about the fastest offense in the area. All but Wellston have been close until the 3rd and it’s like we kick into a different gear when other teams are starting to wear down.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Rolltanks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:51 pm I’ll take west, is this game on stream?
Yes it is 2 posts above yours

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Why does 4 for waverly not play on offense he is the best defensive player big strong kid?

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Penalties plaguing us early. Every year in pike county

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

7-3 waverly

22 running over folks