Coahing or Lack of talent

Ohio1979
Riding the Bench

Coahing or Lack of talent

Post by Ohio1979 »

Not on either side of this, Just feel this could be a good topic. I see it on multiple threads. Fans calling for the coaches to be replaced. When is it a player issue? When is it a coach issue? Not talked about enough, when is it an administrative issue? Fans arent in the building. Fans dont see the day to day struggle of the coach or players. For people calling from the stands for some of these coaches in the area to be replaced, what do you see that screams coaching, compared to lack of talent or just overall school and program disfunction.

fortdawg
All Conference

Re: Coahing or Lack of talent

Post by fortdawg »

I think all successful programs fall back on community.
Who do they elect for the school board and how does the board and administration treat sports, is the main thing that determines success or failure.
Are sports important to the community as a whole?
Look at your perennial powers and you'll find a community that cares.
If you are looking for specifics then I'd look at clock management, use (or non-use) of time outs, playing hard, being disciplined on the field, too many or not enough players on the field, and control of players.
All that is separate from the talent level of the players.
The best coaches are the ones who can develop and encourage kids to be better.
It is that simple...and complicated. :)

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I'm sure there is an exception out there but I've found coaching longevity matters.
A lot of programs it seems shuffle coaches year to year.
Trimble and Nelsonville-York are the premier programs of the TVC and look at their coaches.
NY has had what, 4 coaches total over their tenure in the TVC
How many coaches has a program like Federal (I mention them because they no longer exist) had during the time Ferris has been coaching the Cats?
The losing programs have administrations and boards that meddle and the community allows them to do it.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I think that some schools go through cycles of lack of numbers, athletes that decide not to participate in a particular sport, and coaching changes every few years.
But, also, what about parents of the athletes? Do they encourage their kids to work hard and be a Team player? Or are they the type that think their kids are better than everybody else on the team, deserve more playing time, etc. Does the coach lead by example? Do they enforce team rules equally or play favorites? Does the coach work with the youth leagues and try to get everybody involved from pee wee and up on the same page or philosophy?
How about the school board? Do they allow parents or members of the community to influence their decisions on coaching choices?

If I were a coach, I would want to work towards putting the players in the best position to win games, build a team first attitude, work with the youth leagues to develop basic skills, be involved with the community, and treat all the players the same. Yes, losing games isn’t fun. But it’s how you recover from the loss and move forward is the truest test of your character. Whether you’re a player or coach.

Just my humble opinion.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

In our case, its quality of talent. We have pretty good players. Our coaches arent great. If we had Arch Rose and/or Chuck Sheets leading the way I would hate to see the weekly beatdowns teams would be getting.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I agree rollcoal, parents have the ability to negatively affect the program in a big way. Too many fans/parents/supporters/community members/administration think their opinion matters. Good programs don’t have many of these issues. They let the players play and the coaches coach and are supportive of their efforts.

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

At a lot of schools, the talent pool is VERY shallow.

Return to “Football”