September 29, 2023 Gallia Academy 28 - 12 Coal Grove

superblue
All Conference

Re: September 29, 2023 Gallia Academy - Coal Grove

Post by superblue »

Boko left around the time I moved away as a kid, maybe a year or two after. To my knowledge, Eddy, then Bartholomew, then Riffe, then Penrod, and now Carter.

To be clear, I'm not going to rag on Riffe at all, because he had probably the two worst talent pools to work with in GA history. I don't care if you've got Chuck Noll or Bo Schembechler or Jimmy Johnson or Barry Switzer... Nobody was making those few teams into a contender for the league.
[/quote]

Thanks for your input 2016,.. I agree with most of what you said, you mentioned one coach that I would have a hard time supporting.. the point I wanted to make is you need consistency in your coaching staff, you can't change every 4 years and be successful.... coaches need to be judged on a 8-10 year stretch. The past couple of years we have had some good athletes, coach Carter has benefited from this, the next couple of years might not be the same. Athletic talent goes in cycles, a lot of ups and downs...

PointerHornet89
Waterboy

Post by PointerHornet89 »

Gallia Academy’s team speed and passing will be too much for the Hornets

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

superblue wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:34 am Boko left around the time I moved away as a kid, maybe a year or two after. To my knowledge, Eddy, then Bartholomew, then Riffe, then Penrod, and now Carter.

To be clear, I'm not going to rag on Riffe at all, because he had probably the two worst talent pools to work with in GA history. I don't care if you've got Chuck Noll or Bo Schembechler or Jimmy Johnson or Barry Switzer... Nobody was making those few teams into a contender for the league.
Thanks for your input 2016,.. I agree with most of what you said, you mentioned one coach that I would have a hard time supporting.. the point I wanted to make is you need consistency in your coaching staff, you can't change every 4 years and be successful.... coaches need to be judged on a 8-10 year stretch. The past couple of years we have had some good athletes, coach Carter has benefited from this, the next couple of years might not be the same. Athletic talent goes in cycles, a lot of ups and downs...
[/quote]

I know a lot of the players didn't like Riffe very much and Bartholomew tried to change too much too soon from what Eddy was using to win. That and losing Gragg, Brian Williams (rest in peace) and Caleb Campbell from the line really hurt them. Gallia always seems to have a few speedsters and overall solid skill play. Trenches are what separate pedestrian or bad from the really good GA teams. Penrod was lucky to come back when he did because GA had a good mix of size and speed coming up through the ranks, what with Woodson, Armstrong, and Briar Williams, along with a solid DT QB and good power backs like Pullins and J. Campbell. Carter is definitely benefitting from some of that same talent pool, no doubt. But as you said, you can't keep switching coaches every four years and expect success.

To compare it to the college level, where would Michigan be if they fired Harbaugh after 2019 or 2020? Probably not the class of the Big Ten and a top 2 or 3 program in the country, I'd wager. It takes time for a coach to build the program his way with his men and his system. Brady Hoke looked like a home run hire for the maize and blue after the Rich Rodriguez disaster. Sugar Bowl in year 1.....and it all went downhill from there until Harbaugh came home. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

"The Game" that team up north 🏈

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Is Gallia dealing with any players being out from
Last week at the end of the Fairland game?

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

StolenTalents12 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:44 am Gallia Academy wins this one.
That staff has to learn that getting the ball to 8 is a must.
Agreed! When balanced offensively the Blue are at their best. Several drives last week were too pass heavy leading to several 3 and outs. When we were run heavy or balanced we moved the ball well. Fairland had a good gameplan for taking our deep ball away. Mid range was open fairly consistently. We have to force that deep safety to play something other than centerfield. Made it too easy on him. And too hard on our young QB. So far this year we have been far less predictable on offense than the past few seasons, which is a huge plus. This group has the weapons to dictate how our opponents defense plays us and keep them on their heels. IMO we need to use that to our advantage more. Take what the defense can’t defend well.

Good luck to both teams tonight. Go Blue!

StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

JChipwood wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:40 am
StolenTalents12 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:44 am Gallia Academy wins this one.
That staff has to learn that getting the ball to 8 is a must.
Agreed! When balanced offensively the Blue are at their best. Several drives last week were too pass heavy leading to several 3 and outs. When we were run heavy or balanced we moved the ball well. Fairland had a good gameplan for taking our deep ball away. Mid range was open fairly consistently. We have to force that deep safety to play something other than centerfield. Made it too easy on him. And too hard on our young QB. So far this year we have been far less predictable on offense than the past few seasons, which is a huge plus. This group has the weapons to dictate how our opponents defense plays us and keep them on their heels. IMO we need to use that to our advantage more. Take what the defense can’t defend well.

Good luck to both teams tonight. Go Blue!
[/quote

If fairland has that qb from Gallia academy they score more than 40, that kid has good arm talent. With Fairlands WR he puts up massive numbers. He has a strong arm to be a light lanky kid.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Geronimo wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:30 pm "The Game" that team up north 🏈
Think you mean THE University of Michigan :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

👎👎👎😎🏈

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

“GoBigOVC”!!!

-DaFuture-!!!

mattash