October 27, 2023 Shawnee 37 - 7 Waverly

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Re: D4 R 16 #10 Waverly @ #7 Shawnee

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

Rolltanks wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:07 pm Shawnee is not impressive to me. Waverly has played a better schedule and has better players. I’ll take the tigers by 14. My advice is play faster like you did last year and give it to Hurd, then pass it to Hurd
It’s always hard to tell how good other teams are when they play schools that you aren’t familiar with. I think West may be a decent comp. I think Shawnee is a solid team and play very physical. They have a couple of really nice players: #51 plays both sides of the line a could cause a lot of problems, he’s very physical and athletic at 6’3 240. #25 is smaller in size at RB but runs hard, is fast enough to be concerning and is just.a really good football player (coaches son I assume based off last name), reminds me a little of Shoemaker.
Now I do believe Waverly can win, but they will have to play their best game of the year. Idk how much room Hurd will have, hopefully he is able to produce some big hitters. But I would assume Shawnee’s plans is to not let him be the reason they lose, I think Waverly’s passing game to be on point if they want to advance. The passing game has been very inconsistent all year, when they are clicking this team is dangerous. Mason Kelly will have to have maybe his best game of his career, and I don’t mean stats wise, I just mean having to make good decisions and when the opportunities present themselves, he has to deliver good balls. I do believe Shawnees pass defense isn’t all that great, so if Waverly can get all 3 phases of the passing game playing well (oline, QB and WRs) I think they will be going to week 12.

Shawnee does not start a single underclassman, and have a lot of seniors playing, I believe they will be extremely motivated. Waverly will need to match that intensity and eagerness from the beginning. They do not want to fall behind because Shawnee will eat the clock since they only want to run the ball anyways.

As far as someone stating that Waverly never shows up prepared, I disagree. I think the Waverly coaches and players do a pretty good job throughout the week installing and practicing the game plan and spend a ton of time doing it that outsiders don’t see. Now does that mean every call and idea works out perfectly? No. And at times that could be the coaches fault, the players fault, or that the opponents are just simply better. But to assume that the reason Waverly loses games is due to being unprepared, I can’t agree.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Rolltanks wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:07 pm Shawnee is not impressive to me. Waverly has played a better schedule and has better players. I’ll take the tigers by 14. My advice is play faster like you did last year and give it to Hurd, then pass it to Hurd
Just curious what you are basing your opinion on Shawnee not being impressive on? Is it because you looked at the schedules and compared the teams, their records or is it because you've actually watched Shawnee? Very curious because I think you're off base on this one, Shawnee went 6-4 last season and won a first-round game and return a large portion of those players to go 9-1 this season. They're good up front and have one of the hardest running RB's that Waverly will have faced this year probably only one to really compare him to is the Wheelersburg backs. They're good against the run and honestly, we're going to have to pull out some new stuff in order to win the LOS against these guys. Skilled players wise on the outside I do believe we have the advantage and I do think our advantage is going to be with the passing game, but we've got to block up front first. I wouldn't call them unimpressive at all though, I think this will be a really good game and hopefully we can come out on top.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I watched them vs north union. I did not say they are a bad team I just wasn’t blown away by them. They are like a healthy zt up front. They beat north union by the same score that zt did and Urbana did by field goal. They are solid no one in this region is bad or without players. Hurd will be the best player on the field. Do you have to play good in all phases of the game yes. It’s no different than anyone in this region.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Gameday, good luck Geaux Tigs

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I just checked the weather forecast. It's supposed to be 71 and sunny at 6:00p.m. and 69 degrees at kickoff. Only dropping to 66 by 9:00p.m.

tigercat74
Riding the Bench

Post by tigercat74 »

Any streaming links? Thanks in advance.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Shawnee 21/00

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Basketball season in Waverly

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

27/00

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

30/00

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

37/07

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Well, definitely nothing like I expected. Offense didn’t cross the 50 until Shawnee put the JV team in and we’ve got a coaching staff that needed help wiping the crap they put down their legs in this one. 4th and 1 on opening drive against a team tough against the run and we go wildcat big package and bring everyone in the box and don’t get it, terrible play call to get that mess rolling. We didn’t even read their defense on 1st downs they were stacking box heavy no safety at times and sold out run because well we run on 1st down. LOS scrimmage won with easily by Shawnee, but you’ve got to put your players in better situations to win ball games. No blitzing defensively putting freshman out there at DE nowhere near ready to play that style, not his fault we simply don’t have the body mass we need up front so he was in a can’t win situation. Guys got outside off the De’s all night. Offense was just terrible as we didn’t adjust to what they were doing.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:04 pm Well, definitely nothing like I expected. Offense didn’t cross the 50 until Shawnee put the JV team in and we’ve got a coaching staff that needed help wiping the crap they put down their legs in this one. 4th and 1 on opening drive against a team tough against the run and we go wildcat big package and bring everyone in the box and don’t get it, terrible play call to get that mess rolling. We didn’t even read their defense on 1st downs they were stacking box heavy no safety at times and sold out run because well we run on 1st down. LOS scrimmage won with easily by Shawnee, but you’ve got to put your players in better situations to win ball games. No blitzing defensively putting freshman out there at DE nowhere near ready to play that style, not his fault we simply don’t have the body mass we need up front so he was in a can’t win situation. Guys got outside off the De’s all night. Offense was just terrible as we didn’t adjust to what they were doing.
Shawnee was just simply better. More physical and knew what few things they wanted to run and were good as it, great coaching by them. This region will always be very difficult to get a win in unless you get lucky enough to get matched up with one of the few local schools.

I don’t really think the blame can be placed on one thing, not solely the players or coaches. I would say a collective effort but mostly Shawnee was the better team.

Offensively the Tigers started out good the first possession then didn’t get the 4th & 1, which yes we probably should have not gotten into wildcat because then it became totally obvious on what we were going. But on the other hand do you really trust us to put the ball in the air there? And if you are going to run it anyways in theory the wildcat is a good option because it gives you an extra blocker and they were loading the box regardless of what formation waverly was in all night. I knew this game would come down to Waverly’s ability to get the passing game working and they simply couldn’t. Shawnee was daring us to air it out, our line didn’t have great protection and add in some missed throws, indecisiveness and dropped passes it was tough. Maybe should have tried to get the run game going a little more but we kept getting behind in the sticks or not gaining anything on 1st and 2nd down. Shawnee just was too good for us up front and caused everything to struggle.

Defensively it wasn’t great either, but they were put in some crappy situations early on that didn’t help. We had guys at the ball carrier multiple times many plays and just missed tackle after tackle, a common theme for Waverly football. Seemed like a lot of times we guys got to where they needed to be but couldn’t finish. Again, they were very good up front and caused us issues. I’m honestly fine with putting the freshman at DE, he’s going to have to play next year and why not get him experience now? And with the type of personnel they were wanting to put on the field, they have limited options. And for some reason we don’t like playing guys both ways a ton and/or the players get too tired playing both ways. Seems like they need to be better conditioned if they are getting tired playing one side of the ball.

This game isn’t near as disappointing as thinking what could have been. Waverly could have gotten two more wins on the year and had potentially been at home, maybe could have been the same outcome but it stinks not finding out.

Waverly will need to turn the page and begin to prepare for next season, they are losing a lot of good players to graduation but have a ton coming back as well. The coaches will need to find a way to put players in a position they can succeed, scheme around your personnel and maybe make some tough decisions at some positions. They will need to coach at decent amount of guys up to prepare them for varsity football. Hopefully the players go and enjoy other sports in the winter and spring and come back healthy and ready to work come summertime. Waverly still has a bright future ahead even though it is tough to see tonight.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:51 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:04 pm Well, definitely nothing like I expected. Offense didn’t cross the 50 until Shawnee put the JV team in and we’ve got a coaching staff that needed help wiping the crap they put down their legs in this one. 4th and 1 on opening drive against a team tough against the run and we go wildcat big package and bring everyone in the box and don’t get it, terrible play call to get that mess rolling. We didn’t even read their defense on 1st downs they were stacking box heavy no safety at times and sold out run because well we run on 1st down. LOS scrimmage won with easily by Shawnee, but you’ve got to put your players in better situations to win ball games. No blitzing defensively putting freshman out there at DE nowhere near ready to play that style, not his fault we simply don’t have the body mass we need up front so he was in a can’t win situation. Guys got outside off the De’s all night. Offense was just terrible as we didn’t adjust to what they were doing.
Shawnee was just simply better. More physical and knew what few things they wanted to run and were good as it, great coaching by them. This region will always be very difficult to get a win in unless you get lucky enough to get matched up with one of the few local schools.

I don’t really think the blame can be placed on one thing, not solely the players or coaches. I would say a collective effort but mostly Shawnee was the better team.

Offensively the Tigers started out good the first possession then didn’t get the 4th & 1, which yes we probably should have not gotten into wildcat because then it became totally obvious on what we were going. But on the other hand do you really trust us to put the ball in the air there? And if you are going to run it anyways in theory the wildcat is a good option because it gives you an extra blocker and they were loading the box regardless of what formation waverly was in all night. I knew this game would come down to Waverly’s ability to get the passing game working and they simply couldn’t. Shawnee was daring us to air it out, our line didn’t have great protection and add in some missed throws, indecisiveness and dropped passes it was tough. Maybe should have tried to get the run game going a little more but we kept getting behind in the sticks or not gaining anything on 1st and 2nd down. Shawnee just was too good for us up front and caused everything to struggle.

Defensively it wasn’t great either, but they were put in some crappy situations early on that didn’t help. We had guys at the ball carrier multiple times many plays and just missed tackle after tackle, a common theme for Waverly football. Seemed like a lot of times we guys got to where they needed to be but couldn’t finish. Again, they were very good up front and caused us issues. I’m honestly fine with putting the freshman at DE, he’s going to have to play next year and why not get him experience now? And with the type of personnel they were wanting to put on the field, they have limited options. And for some reason we don’t like playing guys both ways a ton and/or the players get too tired playing both ways. Seems like they need to be better conditioned if they are getting tired playing one side of the ball.

This game isn’t near as disappointing as thinking what could have been. Waverly could have gotten two more wins on the year and had potentially been at home, maybe could have been the same outcome but it stinks not finding out.

Waverly will need to turn the page and begin to prepare for next season, they are losing a lot of good players to graduation but have a ton coming back as well. The coaches will need to find a way to put players in a position they can succeed, scheme around your personnel and maybe make some tough decisions at some positions. They will need to coach at decent amount of guys up to prepare them for varsity football. Hopefully the players go and enjoy other sports in the winter and spring and come back healthy and ready to work come summertime. Waverly still has a bright future ahead even though it is tough to see tonight.
Pretty good run down, terrible take on playing the freshman on DE based on because he'll play it next year that's awful reasoning. Just wasn't ready for a game like that and it showed in a big way, not faulting the kid as I said big guy playing against a big experienced team and he was in a no win situation. To say play now to get ready for next year is what ppl say when you're 2-5 and you're not playing for anything though let's not use that one. Being completely honest I don't think anyone knows what the defensive scheme was, have the DE's crash and let everyone run outside?? Even up front there was times we were playing with 6 in the box against 6 blockers, absolutely nothing made sense what we were doing defensively. Offensively was the same thing, to not cross the 50 in HS football is unacceptable and honestly play calling all year long has been questionable at best. I thought Shawnee coaching staff did a great job of changing things around with their defense compared to what we seen on film, they exploited us on the LOS and simply won the game on both sides of the ball their. We had a good season some guys got some much needed experience but we've got some major holes to fill heading into next season tough replacing 3 OL and a RB like Hurd on the offensive side of things. To think our top 3 backs were all seniors is tough. Luckily everyone walked away from this season relatively healthy and we didn't sustain major injuries outside of a broken collarbone in practice hated that for the young man being a senior. We live, we learn, we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves and start getting ready for next year.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:16 am

Pretty good run down, terrible take on playing the freshman on DE based on because he'll play it next year that's awful reasoning. Just wasn't ready for a game like that and it showed in a big way, not faulting the kid as I said big guy playing against a big experienced team and he was in a no win situation. To say play now to get ready for next year is what ppl say when you're 2-5 and you're not playing for anything though let's not use that one. Being completely honest I don't think anyone knows what the defensive scheme was, have the DE's crash and let everyone run outside?? Even up front there was times we were playing with 6 in the box against 6 blockers, absolutely nothing made sense what we were doing defensively. Offensively was the same thing, to not cross the 50 in HS football is unacceptable and honestly play calling all year long has been questionable at best. I thought Shawnee coaching staff did a great job of changing things around with their defense compared to what we seen on film, they exploited us on the LOS and simply won the game on both sides of the ball their. We had a good season some guys got some much needed experience but we've got some major holes to fill heading into next season tough replacing 3 OL and a RB like Hurd on the offensive side of things. To think our top 3 backs were all seniors is tough. Luckily everyone walked away from this season relatively healthy and we didn't sustain major injuries outside of a broken collarbone in practice hated that for the young man being a senior. We live, we learn, we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves and start getting ready for next year.
Not being rude or wanting to argue, who would you have rather seen play at DE? And obviously defensively they were player’s assigned to keep outside contain, they just simply couldn’t do it. Whether that’s because they weren’t taught the best technique, not physical enough, not strong enough. But these are HS kids, and if you have ever coached or taught a group of kids, you know that sometimes you can tell them and show them exactly what to do and they still may not do it. That could be for various reasons with one being the kid is just outmatched, not truly the players fault either. But I know plenty of times I’ve seen coaches at different schools yell out exactly what play was coming and they still couldn’t stop it. The players did their best and it is what it is.

One thing I do think is Waverly has wayyy too many offensive plays installed. They need to simplify things a lot and get very good at the few things they want to do and rep the crap out of it. A few years ago you could get away with a huge playbook because they had studs all over the field that could make plays regardless. But especially next year, they have got to get done to the bare bones and not overload these guys. It doesn’t matter how many plays or personnel groupings you have if you can’t execute any of them.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:23 am

Not being rude or wanting to argue, who would you have rather seen play at DE? And obviously defensively they were player’s assigned to keep outside contain, they just simply couldn’t do it. Whether that’s because they weren’t taught the best technique, not physical enough, not strong enough. But these are HS kids, and if you have ever coached or taught a group of kids, you know that sometimes you can tell them and show them exactly what to do and they still may not do it. That could be for various reasons with one being the kid is just outmatched, not truly the players fault either. But I know plenty of times I’ve seen coaches at different schools yell out exactly what play was coming and they still couldn’t stop it. The players did their best and it is what it is.

One thing I do think is Waverly has wayyy too many offensive plays installed. They need to simplify things a lot and get very good at the few things they want to do and rep the crap out of it. A few years ago you could get away with a huge playbook because they had studs all over the field that could make plays regardless. But especially next year, they have got to get done to the bare bones and not overload these guys. It doesn’t matter how many plays or personnel groupings you have if you can’t execute any of them.
No you're fine I'm not arguing with and I don't feel you're arguing with me as I said not the young man's fault at all, he's a weight room year away from handling his own and building from there, but as you watched the game you can see he simply wasn't ready for a team like that, kind of like throwing him to the wolves given how experienced Shawnee was up front and the size they had. When you drop into a 4 or 5 front the DE's sole responsibility is contain there's no other players for containment unless you're in a 4 front and you're stunting and we weren't. Personally I wouldn't have changed things up at the DE's and Q and Dillon would've remained there and I would've rolled with my experienced guys who had done it all year. I truly felt we should've run a defense style closer to what we did against West in order to handle the run better. Watching the game though it seems like we were so focused on between the tackles that we weren't setup to stop anything off tackle which was where a lot of plays were going. When they used a jet sweet there was no shift like they did when we tried, coaching there not on the players. Not sure if you realize but there was times we had 6 guys up in the box vs 6 blockers and a ball carrier following that, there's simply nothing a defensive player can do in that situation if you're outsized as that's hat on a hat. Waverly does have a lot of plays but do they really use them?? There's games where I'd guess that we used 10-15 different plays is all.

Where we lack is this ideal that we do what we do and that's how we're going to do things. Football is always shifting year to year, week to week, half to half and you've got to roll and adjust to that next challenge. Each team comes in with an idea of how to stop you offensively or how to attack you defensively you've got to absorb that blow early on and adjust your game plan from that, lining up and doing the same thing each time leads to good teams beating the crap out of you because they're not doing that. Springfield Shawnee going into that game didn't look to be tough against the pass but they adjusted their coverages and blitz packages and we remained constant in our play calling.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:24 pm I watched them vs north union. I did not say they are a bad team I just wasn’t blown away by them. They are like a healthy zt up front. They beat north union by the same score that zt did and Urbana did by field goal. They are solid no one in this region is bad or without players. Hurd will be the best player on the field. Do you have to play good in all phases of the game yes. It’s no different than anyone in this region.
I would've taken like 1/4 of this to be accurate, after seeing Urbana up close and personal and North Union only losing by 3 guessing your thoughts on North Union ability changes as well.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:52 am

No you're fine I'm not arguing with and I don't feel you're arguing with me as I said not the young man's fault at all, he's a weight room year away from handling his own and building from there, but as you watched the game you can see he simply wasn't ready for a team like that, kind of like throwing him to the wolves given how experienced Shawnee was up front and the size they had. When you drop into a 4 or 5 front the DE's sole responsibility is contain there's no other players for containment unless you're in a 4 front and you're stunting and we weren't. Personally I wouldn't have changed things up at the DE's and Q and Dillon would've remained there and I would've rolled with my experienced guys who had done it all year. I truly felt we should've run a defense style closer to what we did against West in order to handle the run better. Watching the game though it seems like we were so focused on between the tackles that we weren't setup to stop anything off tackle which was where a lot of plays were going. When they used a jet sweet there was no shift like they did when we tried, coaching there not on the players. Not sure if you realize but there was times we had 6 guys up in the box vs 6 blockers and a ball carrier following that, there's simply nothing a defensive player can do in that situation if you're outsized as that's hat on a hat. Waverly does have a lot of plays but do they really use them?? There's games where I'd guess that we used 10-15 different plays is all.

Where we lack is this ideal that we do what we do and that's how we're going to do things. Football is always shifting year to year, week to week, half to half and you've got to roll and adjust to that next challenge. Each team comes in with an idea of how to stop you offensively or how to attack you defensively you've got to absorb that blow early on and adjust your game plan from that, lining up and doing the same thing each time leads to good teams beating the crap out of you because they're not doing that. Springfield Shawnee going into that game didn't look to be tough against the pass but they adjusted their coverages and blitz packages and we remained constant in our play calling.
Yeah you are right, they don’t use a lot of their plays that they have installed. But that’s the problem. They spend all this time in meetings with players and practice reps installing these plays to never use them. Why waste the practice reps on plays that are never called? Think they would benefit repping the plays that they want to run more. When they install the game plan for the week and script a ton of plays they may only get to rep those plays live in practice once or twice. Think this group would benefit more from simplifying things and getting more reps. Could get away with a thick playbook more with the groups of Shanks and Futhey. Don’t think it put this group of players in a great situation.

But I agree, we should do a better job adjusting to our players skills set, think our mindset is we want to do what we want to do, like you said. High school football at times doesn’t need to be overly complicated, put your players in the best scenario to succeed even if that isn’t what you planned or wanted to do schema wise.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:58 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:52 am

Yeah you are right, they don’t use a lot of their plays that they have installed. But that’s the problem. They spend all this time in meetings with players and practice reps installing these plays to never use them. Why waste the practice reps on plays that are never called? Think they would benefit repping the plays that they want to run more. When they install the game plan for the week and script a ton of plays they may only get to rep those plays live in practice once or twice. Think this group would benefit more from simplifying things and getting more reps. Could get away with a thick playbook more with the groups of Shanks and Futhey. Don’t think it put this group of players in a great situation.

But I agree, we should do a better job adjusting to our players skills set, think our mindset is we want to do what we want to do, like you said. High school football at times doesn’t need to be overly complicated, put your players in the best scenario to succeed even if that isn’t what you planned or wanted to do schema wise.
Totally agree this is “part” of the problem - can’t just “do what we do” when the personnel doesn’t allow it.
This year was a prime example of the need to install a different offense. 3 great Senior running backs and only one on the field at a time. Quinton Hurd not used on offense is insane. Double TE not utilized. Way too many different passing plays, too many of them high risk - it doesn’t need to be that complex and just sets the QB up for failure…. That stuff can be fixed immediately.
What is needed and will take time is taking the weight room serious. These “next level” teams LIVE in the weight room - they are just at a different level physically. That doesn’t just mean “lifting weights”. It’s everything associated with strength & conditioning.
Shawnee pushed us around all night and even when we had kids in position - point of contact - they couldn’t make the tackle. How much yardage did they gain “after first contact”?
Waverly has the facilities but it’s obvious the Tigers as a whole aren’t dedicated to it or taking it seriously.

We can’t be satisfied with 5-6 and 6-5 seasons, getting beat down by Wheelersburg and first round playoff opponents every year by “doing what we do”.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Honestly, I think one thing I truly don't understand about our offense is why go fast?? When you watched Mt. Healthy, when you watch the offenses that go fast, they adjust the play to the defense's setup. So, while I call play A and we lineup fast, everyone should be looking back, and we should be audibling to what the defense is giving us it's what's the good teams do that go up tempo. To give your team the best chance against a defense this is why you go up-tempo and change things, like Shawnee when we see the box packed and no safety, we still ran the ball, that's where you need to audible to a play that gives you the best chance its why teams do it to gain an advantage. Too many times we simply call a play and go fast because we think that's what it takes but look what happens when you go against good defenses, we'll go 3 and out and have the ball for 45 seconds and the defense is back out on the field.

Return to “Football”