Re: Trojans vs the Burg

Post by a-trainsalomone »

Da Burg by a bunch.

PVWC Sports Fanatic
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

If my calculations are correct, HC Rob Woodward is 15-1 at The Ed in the playoffs and 29-12 overall. Let's make it 16-1 and 30-12 Friday night and Go BURG Go!!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:07 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:03 pm
packers80 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:00 am Good luck to both squads. This is a game that coukd/should happen every year. When is the last time they squared off, 2016?
It'll be a great crowd and great atmosphere. Might wanna buy a split-the-pot ticket at this one.
Nah not with those ticket prices. It'll be easy to find a seat.
No split the pot sales during the playoffs sad but true
Not saying that you are wrong about "No split the pot sales". I won't say what game I attended Friday night, but they did have "Split the pot sales".

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Portsmouth heiland is a big strong back. Burg has to tackle well or it could get nail biting

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Trojan explosion pulls off the upset at The Ed in a low scoring affair.

Trojans 21
Burg 17

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:20 pm Trojan explosion pulls off the upset at The Ed in a low scoring affair.

Trojans 21
Burg 17
No way burg is held to 17 points. If Portsmouth wants to win, they need to match scores. Burgs defense is like a wall, so that may be hard to do. For Portsmouth to win they need long scoring drives and burg turnovers.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:20 pm Trojan explosion pulls off the upset at The Ed in a low scoring affair.

Trojans 21
Burg 17

I tend to agree with you on most posts however I don’t see it here. If Hurd and Waverly got shutdown Burg will shutdown Portsmouth

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I think this will be one of if not the best defense Portsmouth will have seen. If the Trojans are one dimensional it will be a long night and I see a running clock. I would love to see a Trojan win but picking wheelersburg. No matter what happens this game needs to happen again. With expanded playoffs you can schedule harder games. Playoff burg is a different beast. Portsmouth should be proud of what they have done this year. I hope it’s packed and shows everyone that this game has history and needs played.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I also agree that these two schools should be playing each other each and every year. I'm also glad that the Trojans beat the Dragons and qualified for the playoffs. From what I've read on here, the Trojans had a lot of success in running the ball in this game. I'm not sure that that necessarily equates to being able to have that type of success in running the ball against the Pirates. Should be a great crowd and hopefully a very good ballgame. I would have to give the edge to the Burg in this one. Hope both teams have an injury free game.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:55 pm I think this will be one of if not the best defense Portsmouth will have seen. If the Trojans are one dimensional it will be a long night and I see a running clock. I would love to see a Trojan win but picking wheelersburg. No matter what happens this game needs to happen again. With expanded playoffs you can schedule harder games. Playoff burg is a different beast. Portsmouth should be proud of what they have done this year. I hope it’s packed and shows everyone that this game has history and needs played.

Have you even watched a trojan game this year . ?
I hope the rest of your fans have not given up on the kids and if you would like to put some money on a running clock name your price

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:37 pm I also agree that these two schools should be playing each other each and every year. I'm also glad that the Trojans beat the Dragons and qualified for the playoffs. From what I've read on here, the Trojans had a lot of success in running the ball in this game. I'm not sure that that necessarily equates to being able to have that type of success in running the ball against the Pirates. Should be a great crowd and hopefully a very good ballgame. I would have to give the edge to the Burg in this one. Hope both teams have an injury free game.
Agree that Portsmouth and Burg should play every year. Not sure why Portsmouth dropped Burg, but they wan’t to avoid playing Burg so badly that they gave up a home game against Burg for a 2.5+ hour bus ride north to play.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:58 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:37 pm I also agree that these two schools should be playing each other each and every year. I'm also glad that the Trojans beat the Dragons and qualified for the playoffs. From what I've read on here, the Trojans had a lot of success in running the ball in this game. I'm not sure that that necessarily equates to being able to have that type of success in running the ball against the Pirates. Should be a great crowd and hopefully a very good ballgame. I would have to give the edge to the Burg in this one. Hope both teams have an injury free game.
Agree that Portsmouth and Burg should play every year. Not sure why Portsmouth dropped Burg, but they wan’t to avoid playing Burg so badly that they gave up a home game against Burg for a 2.5+ hour bus ride north to play.
I have or had no idea why they don't schedule each other. It seems as if the gate alone would be a no brainer. By reading some of the posters on here, most of the people from both schools seem to think that they should be playing each other. Thanks for your response.

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

Portsmouth has got better and they played good against Ironton a couple weeks ago. Id like to see them pull off a upset against Burg

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

BigSpoon wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:38 am Portsmouth has got better and they played good against Ironton a couple weeks ago. Id like to see them pull off a upset against Burg
Burg's defense will be too much for the Trojans.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

I’m not sold on Burg being a regional contender but they have enough for a comfortable win vs Portsmouth. Overall the SOC was down this year and Burgs best win was to a 6-5 D4 team.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Bfan99 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:13 am I’m not sold on Burg being a regional contender but they have enough for a comfortable win vs Portsmouth. Overall the SOC was down this year and Burgs best win was to a 6-5 D4 team.
They are more than a regional contender.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:19 am
Bfan99 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:13 am I’m not sold on Burg being a regional contender but they have enough for a comfortable win vs Portsmouth. Overall the SOC was down this year and Burgs best win was to a 6-5 D4 team.
Are they though? They’ll beat Portsmouth and have a good chance of losing to Barnesville, won’t beat HP or Ironton. Burg fans are very naive. Always think they’re a state championship caliber team. This team just isn’t that good.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:39 am
Are they though? They’ll beat Portsmouth and have a good chance of losing to Barnesville, won’t beat HP or Ironton. Burg fans are very naive. Always think they’re a state championship caliber team. This team just isn’t that good.
Yes they are.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:39 am
After looking at Barnsville schedule I’m not sold on them being a high caliber team. IMO the Regional championship game will be next Friday with Harvest prep vs Ironton.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Where Portsmouth has had the most problems on defense has been the secondary, although that unit has improved over the last few weeks. The PHS run defense is stout. The Trojans did an admirable job against Ironton's run game.

Offensively, I believe the Trojans are going to have to mix up things a bit. Chase Heiland is indeed one of the best backs in SE Ohio, but he alone can't carry the PHS offense. I hope that Cam Williams and his brother JT will be utilized with their speed because both can scoot for some big gains.

I'm not picking a winner because I don't want to be a homer, but a good start is absolutely a must for Portsmouth. PHS can win but they have to bring their best effort. Wheelersburg has lost to Ironton, Jackson, and Harvest Prep, 3 very good teams.

Return to “Football”