DVI R23

Bird Dog
All Conference

Re: DVI R23

Post by Bird Dog »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:46 pm
Bird Dog wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:39 pm
efarns wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:01 pm

It doesn't. None of the underdogs is going to win the region, which is the whole reason they're doing this tournament.
What? Enough of the crazy talk about winning the tournament. Everyone wants a participation banner so let everyone in.

Who gives out trophies for making the playoffs ? I just want the best teams to advance and I think 16 teams is the best way to decide that. I get it you liked when it was 8 teams and all the teams would try to make the easiest schedules possible. Now losing a game or 2 don’t hurt you so we get better reg season football.
What's the lowest seed to ever win a state championship since 16 were let in? Why not let everyone in then? I think most schools schedule their confrence games and schools fairly close because of budget/money not to pad wins and losses. I just believe goals should be win conference, win region , and win state not just participate. I think the final 4 every year in every division is the best 4 possible 99% of the time and that rarely includes anyone outside top 8.
To be honest and hate to say it but schools up north are the ones getting screwed most years in the lower divisions. Beat each other up in their region and even though probably a top four state program they rarely make it there.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Bird Dog wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:07 pm
Bird Dog wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:39 pm

What? Enough of the crazy talk about winning the tournament. Everyone wants a participation banner so let everyone in.

Who gives out trophies for making the playoffs ? I just want the best teams to advance and I think 16 teams is the best way to decide that. I get it you liked when it was 8 teams and all the teams would try to make the easiest schedules possible. Now losing a game or 2 don’t hurt you so we get better reg season football.
What's the lowest seed to ever win a state championship since 16 were let in? Why not let everyone in then? I think most schools schedule their confrence games and schools fairly close because of budget/money not to pad wins and losses. I just believe goals should be win conference, win region , and win state not just participate. I think the final 4 every year in every division is the best 4 possible 99% of the time and that rarely includes anyone outside top 8.
To be honest and hate to say it but schools up north are the ones getting screwed most years in the lower divisions. Beat each other up in their region and even though probably a top four state program they rarely make it there.

You didn’t answer any of my questions. I want the best teams in each region to advance and I want the best matchups in the playoffs. Harbin points is broken. Old 8 team model didn’t give of us the best 8 teams and that’s fact. There was an upset in every region. No idea why people complain about more football.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:31 pm

You didn’t answer any of my questions. I want the best teams in each region to advance and I want the best matchups in the playoffs. Harbin points is broken. Old 8 team model didn’t give of us the best 8 teams and that’s fact. There was an upset in every region. No idea why people complain about more football.
You only asked 1 question and everyone hands out playoff shirts/hats/ribbons and all that BS. , posts on Facebook, bragging about making playoffs. See you didn't answer any of my questions. We'll agree to disagree because the best 2 teams play regional championship 100% of the time and thats a FACT. No idea why people complain about not being included in everything.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Yes, you can argue the 8 team model doesn't give you the 8 best teams.

But the 16 team model does not give you a different top team. Garaway and West Jefferson just have to play an extra, meaningless game before they meet in the finals.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Bird Dog wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:50 pm

You only asked 1 question and everyone hands out playoff shirts/hats/ribbons and all that BS. , posts on Facebook, bragging about making playoffs. See you didn't answer any of my questions. We'll agree to disagree because the best 2 teams play regional championship 100% of the time and thats a FACT. No idea why people complain about not being included in everything.
Is it bragging or is it enjoying an experience? I do not at all understand why some people are so adamant that if you aren’t a state title contender, there’s nothing to play for. Is your life full of misery? Have you ever been a part of something that was special to you and the people you got to enjoy it with? It’s not a professional sport; it’s kids playing a game and your whole take on it is “Kids that aren’t the best shouldn’t get to play.” That’s an awful viewpoint.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

enigmaax wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:35 pm

Is it bragging or is it enjoying an experience? I do not at all understand why some people are so adamant that if you aren’t a state title contender, there’s nothing to play for. Is your life full of misery? Have you ever been a part of something that was special to you and the people you got to enjoy it with? It’s not a professional sport; it’s kids playing a game and your whole take on it is “Kids that aren’t the best shouldn’t get to play.” That’s an awful viewpoint.

This

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

efarns wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm

But the 16 team model does not give you a different top team. Garaway and West Jefferson just have to play an extra, meaningless game before they meet in the finals.
It’s football. I’ll never complain about more football.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:48 pm
efarns wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm

It’s football. I’ll never complain about more football.
I hear stamp collecting is a rewarding hobby.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Been a part of sports most of life and yeah maybe a fault, but I wanted to win, period, and getting crushed by teams way way way better was NO fun anyway you cut it. Didn't enjoy the experience, didn't enjoy the bearing, didn't enjoy eating pizza before or after the game or the long ride home. You say it's kids playing a game and it's not a professional sport yet you want them to play as many games as college and pro teams. I get kids playing a game when they're kids but these are for the most part young men ready to go to military, work, and college, I believe they understand winning and losing. Hey it is what it is I know why they do it as we all do and I just dont agree.

Why don't you all want everyone in playoffs if it's that great of an experience?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Bird Dog wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:23 pm

Been a part of sports most of life and yeah maybe a fault, but I wanted to win, period, and getting crushed by teams way way way better was NO fun anyway you cut it. Didn't enjoy the experience, didn't enjoy the bearing, didn't enjoy eating pizza before or after the game or the long ride home. You say it's kids playing a game and it's not a professional sport yet you want them to play as many games as college and pro teams. I get kids playing a game when they're kids but these are for the most part young men ready to go to military, work, and college, I believe they understand winning and losing. Hey it is what it is I know why they do it as we all do and I just dont agree.

Why don't you all want everyone in playoffs if it's that great of an experience?
Who said I didn’t. Do you realize that football is literally the only high school sport in Ohio that doesn’t have a postseason tournament that involves all teams/individuals? Just look at all those dreadfully unprepared for life young people who had the audacity to lose a Sectional game in baseball, basketball, etc. How did any wrestler or golfer ever make it in life when they just got handed a tournament match?

I’d like one example of a teenager who failed to become a man because he was allowed to play in a playoff game. Obviously nobody likes losing their LAST game, but when having a shot at the playoffs makes the entire regular season more relevant. Trying to win to get a higher seed or just to make the cut generates competitiveness in the last few games of the regular season that wouldn’t exist otherwise. Our school’s most exciting game ever was the 8/9 game that went 2 OTs. Nobody was happy about losing the next week, but in the long run, that’s not what people remember or still talk about. The 8 weeks leading up to it is what made the experience (more than just one game).

The idea that if you don’t win a state championship you are a failure is absurd. It is possible for a person to be both highly competitive and have a reasonable perspective on winning and losing.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

enigmaax wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:08 pm
Bird Dog wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:23 pm

Who said I didn’t. Do you realize that football is literally the only high school sport in Ohio that doesn’t have a postseason tournament that involves all teams/individuals? Just look at all those dreadfully unprepared for life young people who had the audacity to lose a Sectional game in baseball, basketball, etc. How did any wrestler or golfer ever make it in life when they just got handed a tournament match?

I’d like one example of a teenager who failed to become a man because he was allowed to play in a playoff game. Obviously nobody likes losing their LAST game, but when having a shot at the playoffs makes the entire regular season more relevant. Trying to win to get a higher seed or just to make the cut generates competitiveness in the last few games of the regular season that wouldn’t exist otherwise. Our school’s most exciting game ever was the 8/9 game that went 2 OTs. Nobody was happy about losing the next week, but in the long run, that’s not what people remember or still talk about. The 8 weeks leading up to it is what made the experience (more than just one game).

The idea that if you don’t win a state championship you are a failure is absurd. It is possible for a person to be both highly competitive and have a reasonable perspective on winning and losing.

Yes I'm familiar with the way ohio runs tournaments. You think there is a reason for them doing that? I love the way your trying to spin what I said but not once did I say someone was unprepared for life because they lost or played in a game. I said they are young adults and think they understand winning and losing, you know like not being included in playoffs because you went 2-8. We just have different opinions on it and know you'll never change my mind and I won't change yours.

Return to “Football”