October 27, 2023 Fairland 38 - 50 Portsmouth

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: D5 R 19 #15 Portsmouth @ #2 Fairland

Post by trojandave »

I've made only 1 post on the football thread about PHS so far this season; I've been to every game.......but last night's HERCULEAN effort by our Trojans deserves another post. For the 3rd year in a row, Portsmouth won as a lower seed on the road. For those that think there are too many teams in the playoffs, just consider that fact. Last night it was a #15 seed beating a #2 seed.

So PROUD of our Trojans fighting back from a 25-18 halftime deficit, outscoring the Dragons 32-13 in the final 2 periods. CHASE HEILAND WAS INCREDIBLE, as was Cam Williams, as was the O-line. Credit to our D coordinator for making a key adjustment in the 2nd half, controlling Fairland's passing game. Noah Livingston and Leland Scurlock came up with INT's.

Coach Bruce Kalb has led the Trojans to the playoffs 5 straight years. Congratulations to all the coaching staff. You have made Portsmouth football very respectable and competitive.

Very pleased with the enthusiasm of our fans who were loud all game long. Now it's on to Wheelersburg for a long awaited matchup with the Pirates.

Last 3 seasons for Portsmouth in the playoffs:

2021: #10 Portsmouth 28, at #7 Zane Trace 22
2022: #9 Portsmouth 28, at #8 Belmont Union Local 26
2023: #15 Portsmouth 50, at #2 Fairland 38

GO TROJANS!!

REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

noreply66 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:47 am Ironton wins big, Gallia wins big, Fairland and Portsmouth was a great game. OVC sounds like a strong conference.
All Schools In The OVC Made The Playoffs For The Exception Of Chesapeake. This Is The Only Time This Has Happened. The OVC Is Stronger As A Whole Than In Years Past. I Think Much Of It Comes From Competition From Within The Conference. And Like It Or Not Ironton Has Improved This Conference! I Would Have Liked Them To Stay But That’s My Opinion.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

PHS won a good game . If FHS could have got their center snap problems straightened out and not do a questionable onside kick late in the game , they may have pulled this one out . They couldnt figure out how to stop Heiland ,didnt look any adjustments were even attempted . The game almost looked like Fairland was willing to let them score so they could get the ball back to score , crazy called game , oh well . Good luck to Portsmouth as I am not a Burg fan , I work with to many of them .

Ohio1979
Riding the Bench

Post by Ohio1979 »

84Dragon wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:18 pm PHS won a good game . If FHS could have got their center snap problems straightened out and not do a questionable onside kick late in the game , they may have pulled this one out . They couldnt figure out how to stop Heiland ,didnt look any adjustments were even attempted . The game almost looked like Fairland was willing to let them score so they could get the ball back to score , crazy called game , oh well . Good luck to Portsmouth as I am not a Burg fan , I work with to many of them .
Fairlands offense showed up, Defense apparently did not. To score almost 40 in a playoff game and walk off a loser is a tough one to sit with for an entire offseason.

StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

Fairland had no answer on defense, no adjustments made. Did not attempt to run the ball the first 3 quarters unless it was a Jackson scramble on a pass play. I don’t know exactly who was calling the plays on Fairlands offense but if it was Jackson it was clear to me that he coached this game as the quarterbacks dad and not the coach of the Fairland dragons 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Just_A_Fan_Today
Waterboy

Post by Just_A_Fan_Today »

Portsmouth made the correct adjustments in the second half being down 25-18. Fairland came out and went up 32-18. The Trojans from that point just started to take over the game. Fairland was able to go up 38-37 in the 4th with 6:48 left on the clock. The onside kick I thought was a little bit questionable seemed like four plays later Portsmouth retook the lead. Hats off to the Trojans and their RB heck of a game.

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

StolenTalents12 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:23 pm Fairland had no answer on defense, no adjustments made. Did not attempt to run the ball the first 3 quarters unless it was a Jackson scramble on a pass play. I don’t know exactly who was calling the plays on Fairlands offense but if it was Jackson it was clear to me that he coached this game as the quarterbacks dad and not the coach of the Fairland dragons 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

The lack of adjustments from Fairland on either side of the ball ultimately played huge part in them losing the game. Defensively Portsmouth continued to attack the LOS and as a result of the alignment of the Fairland defense they were often getting 4-6 yards without contact. It appeared Portsmouth knew that Fairland wasn’t going to adjust and ran for 490 yards that was a great scheme adjustment by the Portsmouth staff. I thought Portsmouth coaches had their kids prepared for exactly what Fairland was going to do all night long.

Return to “Football”