November 3, 2023 Wheelersburg 34 - 0 Portsmouth

Pinwheel
JV Team

Re: Trojans vs the Burg

Post by Pinwheel »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:47 am
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:39 am
wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:19 am

They are more than a regional contender.
Are they though? They’ll beat Portsmouth and have a good chance of losing to Barnesville, won’t beat HP or Ironton. Burg fans are very naive. Always think they’re a state championship caliber team. This team just isn’t that good.
Yes they are.

NO THEY ARE NOT!!

They will struggle Friday night
Take of dem 🍊 🥂

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Pinwheel wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:41 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:47 am

Are they though? They’ll beat Portsmouth and have a good chance of losing to Barnesville, won’t beat HP or Ironton. Burg fans are very naive. Always think they’re a state championship caliber team. This team just isn’t that good.
Yes they are.

NO THEY ARE NOT!!

They will struggle Friday night
Take of dem 🍊 🥂
No they wont

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Bfan99 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:13 am I’m not sold on Burg being a regional contender but they have enough for a comfortable win vs Portsmouth. Overall the SOC was down this year and Burgs best win was to a 6-5 D4 team.
Not all Burg fans are naive. I’ve never said this Burg team would win the state or even the region. At best, Burg is the third best team in the region. HP and IHS are definitely better, and could argue for one to two other teams. That said, if Burg plays clean and gets some breaks, they have a shot at region. No chance at state without massive luck.

With regards to Portsmouth, P-town will need to get some breaks and win in a shootout. Burg D is legit and will be much tougher than Fairland’s D.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:02 pm

Not all Burg fans are naive. I’ve never said this Burg team would win the state or even the region. At best, Burg is the third best team in the region. HP and IHS are definitely better, and could argue for one to two other teams. That said, if Burg plays clean and gets some breaks, they have a shot at region. No chance at state without massive luck.

With regards to Portsmouth, P-town will need to get some breaks and win in a shootout. Burg D is legit and will be much tougher than Fairland’s D.
Agree about Burg’s defense, Trojans will definitely have to work harder this week. Not sure if Fairlands defense was that bad all year or Portsmouth’s run game was just on Friday night. Unofficially I believe the Dragons gave up over 470 yards rushing and 7 rushing TD’s. Lol

Who Dey!
alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Burg should win this game on paper but its not played on paper. Whomever wins will have a tough row to hoe afterwards.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It's not about being naive. It's very logical and practical assessment. Burg is a regional contender, earlier in the year they weren't but like most years Burg is playing very well at the end of the season. Burg's defense has been there but now the offense is moving the ball, Rucker has been great and the coaches are putting him in successful situations.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:26 pm

It's not about being naive. It's very logical and practical assessment. Burg is a regional contender, earlier in the year they weren't but like most years Burg is playing very well at the end of the season. Burg's defense has been there but now the offense is moving the ball, Rucker has been great and the coaches are putting him in successful situations.
D has quit giving up big plays, you are correct qb has played really well last 3-4 games. 25 running much harder than he did early in the yr has also made a huge difference

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:58 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:37 pm I also agree that these two schools should be playing each other each and every year. I'm also glad that the Trojans beat the Dragons and qualified for the playoffs. From what I've read on here, the Trojans had a lot of success in running the ball in this game. I'm not sure that that necessarily equates to being able to have that type of success in running the ball against the Pirates. Should be a great crowd and hopefully a very good ballgame. I would have to give the edge to the Burg in this one. Hope both teams have an injury free game.
Agree that Portsmouth and Burg should play every year. Not sure why Portsmouth dropped Burg, but they wan’t to avoid playing Burg so badly that they gave up a home game against Burg for a 2.5+ hour bus ride north to play.
Being that I do not know, do the Burg and Portsmouth compete or schedule each other in all the other sports, boys and girls, or is football the only one ?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:19 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:37 pm I also agree that these two schools should be playing each other each and every year. I'm also glad that the Trojans beat the Dragons and qualified for the playoffs. From what I've read on here, the Trojans had a lot of success in running the ball in this game. I'm not sure that that necessarily equates to being able to have that type of success in running the ball against the Pirates. Should be a great crowd and hopefully a very good ballgame. I would have to give the edge to the Burg in this one. Hope both teams have an injury free game.
Agree that Portsmouth and Burg should play every year. Not sure why Portsmouth dropped Burg, but they wan’t to avoid playing Burg so badly that they gave up a home game against Burg for a 2.5+ hour bus ride north to play.
Being that I do not know, do the Burg and Portsmouth compete or schedule each other in all the other sports, boys and girls, or is football the only one ?
I believe they play in other sports.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Trojan Explosion wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:31 pm Trojans are back baby!

Portsmouth ability moving the ball on the ground will be some difficulty for the Pirates

Lets go!!!!!!!! Trojan Nation sink that ship. They can't run from us now

Just what do you mean they can't run from us now?? You do know that Portsmouth dropped Burg after the 2016 season and picked up a team almost 3 hours away for 2017 and got beat like a drum in that game. Dumbest move I've ever witnessed. The gate was always huge for a Pirates-Trojans game. Both teams always benefitted from it.

RealTrojan
Waterboy

Post by RealTrojan »

From what I've been told, it was actually the other way around, Burg dropped Portsmouth. With hopes of scheduling other schools for playoff points.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:34 pm

I'll ask one more question. I'm not trying to throw shade at either program, but no doubt football would be the biggest money maker probably of all the other sports combined. Was football not being as competitive as some one hope, or was there another reason as to why they stopped playing each other ?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:11 pm

I'll ask one more question. I'm not trying to throw shade at either program, but no doubt football would be the biggest money maker probably of all the other sports combined. Was football not being as competitive as some one hope, or was there another reason as to why they stopped playing each other ?
Meant to say "as some would hope".

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Burg wins. Gonna say 35-7 or something like that.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:17 pm

I do not know the actual reason this game quit being played. Now could it be because it was severely one sided in favor of the Burg? Sure, the last Portsmouth win came back in 2007. Woodward is 9-0 against Portsmouth. Could it have something to do with Portsmouth feeling some type of way about Burg gaining kids they lost? Possibly, I only know of 2 Lowery & Lattimore, suppose there could be more. Myself having played in this rivalry I loved Burg week, even being on the losing side of things. Gate & atmosphere were always top notch. For Portsmouth you may have been taking a beat down some years but playing up in competition only helps. I feel like playing these good Ironton teams has helped not only Portsmouth but the whole OVC. I hope this game gets put back on the schedule. Won’t be next year but they could possibly meet in the playoffs next year?

Who Dey!
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:17 pm

I really don’t know. The move didn’t make much sense at the time because Portsmouth dropped Burg in a year when they would be hosting the game. And instead Portsmouth took an away game to fill the opening against a team north of Columbus.

It seems like it was an emotional decision; didn’t appear to be based on dollars. But really no clue as to why Portsmouth admin made this call.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Has Burg played any real threat since playing Prep?

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

RealTrojan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:00 pm From what I've been told, it was actually the other way around, Burg dropped Portsmouth. With hopes of scheduling other schools for playoff points.
That's the story my family and I were told also, basically said it was a waste of time playing us.
Why would Portsmouth drop them the year of a host game and miss out on thousands of dollars? One thing about Scioto Co. if someone sprouts off negatively about PHS, the whole county jumps on board, but it's crickets whe PHS wins or does something positive. Nothing much has changed, I see.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Burg has won more games they were supposed to lose, on paper, than any other competitive team in the region.

Be careful for what you wish for.......it hasn't been that long that a heavily favored team lost to the Pirates in the playoffs.

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

FIDO wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:23 pm Burg has won more games they were supposed to lose, on paper, than any other competitive team in the region.

Be careful for what you wish for.......it hasn't been that long that a heavily favored team lost to the Pirates in the playoffs.
Only thing is I don’t think we’re heavily favored.
I think the game will be much closer than predicted. I really want Portsmouth to pull off the Cinderella story Friday night.

Return to “Football”