November 3, 2023 Ironton 37 - 28 Heath

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Re: Heath @ Ironton

Post by pembrook burrows III »

I have attended every Ironton state final game except the second Kirtland battle. Outoftowner’s observations about the Fighting Tigers under Lutz snd Pendleton pretty much coincide with mine. If I were Pendleton going forward, I would be looking at adding some additional expertise to the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.

Again, looking for a tight one with Heath, and hoping for cleaner execution by Ironton, especially on offense. The margins of error are getting smaller by the week.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Outoftowner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:25 am
RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:28 pm
Outoftowner wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:42 pm
My dad went to the Benedictine game. He always said Ironton had no business being on the field with them. I’ve heard others say they were the best team in the state that year
28-13, Lutz and the Tigers kept it respectable.
Believe it was 38-13, and not that close according to my dad who’s watched a lot of football in his life. If you go to the state finals as many times as Ironton has you’re going to run into a buzz saw from time to time. This new version under Pendleton is obviously different. Likely better overall skill players but the discipline and execution are certainly not as good. They played a lot of tight games up north under Lutz where it felt like they had a chance to win. Until the current regime can clean up miscues and get the lines to play as a unit they will likely struggle against good teams. I also give them a little pass due to youth. Watching one of the previous games I noticed they only started 5 or 6 seniors. I think they’ll have a legitimate shot in the next couple of years if they all stick together and keep working. This includes the coaching staff. Never stop learning.
Craig Pleasant
Bobby Brice
Jermon Jackson
Delandual Conwell
Jason Harmon
J.J. King

You sure Pendleton had better skill players than Lutz? LOL

Brice by himself was better than anyone Pendleton has had so far by a ton.

Including Carrico.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Walt Delong
Wolfgang Kratzenberg
Joe Leith
JD Coffman
Roman Fry
Reggie Arden
Ken Fritz
Mark Snyder
Dennis Bacon
Mike Smith

The list goes on. Coach Lutz had a lot better talent over the years than what’s come through Ironton the last 5 years. Coach Lutz didn’t make it an emphasis to get these guys recruited like the staff does now. You’re seeing what the T formation and the 5-2 defense looks like in Rock Hill right now with no talent. The scheme Coach Lutz implemented was very basic and had simple rules. We lost then against anyone that could match us physically and athletically. One thing Coach Lutz scheme did though was shorten the game. It limits possessions and keeps the game closer than score indicates. Same thing Rock Hill implements now.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

The difference between lutz and pendleton is glaring . Dicipline. Lutz was a disciplinarian and pendleton has none. I bet pendelton teams have more penalties and turnovers in a few games than lutz teams had in a full season. And obviously pendleton has no interest in fixing it.

caliron
Waterboy

Post by caliron »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:27 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:10 pm

Lutz had a losing record vs NEO also. They've always had Irontons number.
Big difference from then to now:
1. Lutz rarely got blown out. Only exception was the loaded MLC team. Pendleton hasn’t seen a team like that, including Moeller.
2. Lutz had talented teams but often played against teams with more talent. Pendleton has always had the more talented team.
3. IHS was a bigger school but also played against bigger teams given there were fewer divisions.
4. Football in NEO was far better back then. That area has been decimated over the years, especially Youngstown.

Kirtland and ML weren’t even on Lutz’s radar. Those schools could not have handled Ironton back then. Hell, Kirtland never won a playoff game until their current coach came onboard. ML was decent but didn’t win state titles until their current coach took over.
My dad went to the Benedictine game. He always said Ironton had no business being on the field with them. I’ve heard others say they were the best team in the state that year
I started in that game against the Bennies. Yea, they were stacked but we did move the ball with QB2 in the 2nd half. Later, I overheard Lutz say to Sheridan or Burcham that perhaps we had the wrong QB1 that year not that it would have mattered in that game.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

caliron wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:27 pm

Big difference from then to now:
1. Lutz rarely got blown out. Only exception was the loaded MLC team. Pendleton hasn’t seen a team like that, including Moeller.
2. Lutz had talented teams but often played against teams with more talent. Pendleton has always had the more talented team.
3. IHS was a bigger school but also played against bigger teams given there were fewer divisions.
4. Football in NEO was far better back then. That area has been decimated over the years, especially Youngstown.

Kirtland and ML weren’t even on Lutz’s radar. Those schools could not have handled Ironton back then. Hell, Kirtland never won a playoff game until their current coach came onboard. ML was decent but didn’t win state titles until their current coach took over.
I started in that game against the Bennies. Yea, they were stacked but we did move the ball with QB2 in the 2nd half. Later, I overheard Lutz say to Sheridan or Burcham that perhaps we had the wrong QB1 that year not that it would have mattered in that game.
Hats off to you. Had to be a tough game. At that time Benedictine got to pick from a nice selection of players in the Cleveland area

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

gobucs20 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:08 pm The difference between lutz and pendleton is glaring . Dicipline. Lutz was a disciplinarian and pendleton has none. I bet pendelton teams have more penalties and turnovers in a few games than lutz teams had in a full season. And obviously pendleton has no interest in fixing it.
Once the talent pool shrunk Lutz philosophy worked less though and Lutz defenses struggled big time vs spread offenses during the later portion of his HC career.

Logan just TORCHED him. His Def secondary was not good at all.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:51 pm Walt Delong
Wolfgang Kratzenberg
Joe Leith
JD Coffman
Roman Fry
Reggie Arden
Ken Fritz
Mark Snyder
Dennis Bacon
Mike Smith

The list goes on. Coach Lutz had a lot better talent over the years than what’s come through Ironton the last 5 years. Coach Lutz didn’t make it an emphasis to get these guys recruited like the staff does now. You’re seeing what the T formation and the 5-2 defense looks like in Rock Hill right now with no talent. The scheme Coach Lutz implemented was very basic and had simple rules. We lost then against anyone that could match us physically and athletically. One thing Coach Lutz scheme did though was shorten the game. It limits possessions and keeps the game closer than score indicates. Same thing Rock Hill implements now.
The list would obviously be longer for Lutz since he did coach at Ironton for almost 40 years. Pendleton is in year 6?

I think a better way to view the talent is to compare it against their competition. Lutz coached against far more talented teams than what Pendleton has seen. Lutz saw Moss, Snow, Clark, Jurevicious, etc…. Pendleton’s teams haven’t seen anything like that.

With the talent IHS had the past 3+ years, and playing the teams that they did for the state title, I don’t think coach Lutz would have been blown out like that. His teams were more disciplined.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Outoftowner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:25 am
RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:28 pm
28-13, Lutz and the Tigers kept it respectable.
Believe it was 38-13, and not that close according to my dad who’s watched a lot of football in his life. If you go to the state finals as many times as Ironton has you’re going to run into a buzz saw from time to time. This new version under Pendleton is obviously different. Likely better overall skill players but the discipline and execution are certainly not as good. They played a lot of tight games up north under Lutz where it felt like they had a chance to win. Until the current regime can clean up miscues and get the lines to play as a unit they will likely struggle against good teams. I also give them a little pass due to youth. Watching one of the previous games I noticed they only started 5 or 6 seniors. I think they’ll have a legitimate shot in the next couple of years if they all stick together and keep working. This includes the coaching staff. Never stop learning.
You’re correct on the score. My bad on that.

Agree the key for IHS is to clean up the mistakes. Has haunted them during Pendleton’s tenure.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Is this game gonna be on mytown tv?

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:42 pm
Wolfgang Kratzenberg
Joe Leith
JD Coffman
Roman Fry
Reggie Arden
Ken Fritz
Mark Snyder
Dennis Bacon
Mike Smith

The list would obviously be longer for Lutz since he did coach at Ironton for almost 40 years. Pendleton is in year 6?

I think a better way to view the talent is to compare it against their competition. Lutz coached against far more talented teams than what Pendleton has seen. Lutz saw Moss, Snow, Clark, Jurevicious, etc…. Pendleton’s teams haven’t seen anything like that.

With the talent IHS had the past 3+ years, and playing the teams that they did for the state title, I don’t think coach Lutz would have been blown out like that. His teams were more disciplined.

The Discipline issue is a COMPLETE BULLSEYE on what has held back IHS in key Loss Games.

The 2019 final -V- KirtLand & the early exit in the playoff loss to the Burg ReMatch was a direct result of this issue.

If will be the difference in the “W” Or “L” column for IHS, from here on out, as well.

This Heath team is one of the most improved squads in D5 & have played extremely talented teams all year.

Definitely IHS’s TOUGHEST ROUND 2 Opponent since the Re-Emergence of The FighTing Tigers as a state Power under Coach P’s helm!

It’s Gonna be a dogfight friday & i believe the winner will be a regional champ favorite.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:09 pm
Wolfgang Kratzenberg
Joe Leith
JD Coffman
Roman Fry
Reggie Arden
Ken Fritz
Mark Snyder
Dennis Bacon
Mike Smith

The Discipline issue is a COMPLETE BULLSEYE on what has held back IHS in key Loss Games.

The 2019 final -V- KirtLand & the early exit in the playoff loss to the Burg ReMatch was a direct result of this issue.

If will be the difference in the “W” Or “L” column for IHS, from here on out, as well.

This Heath team is one of the most improved squads in D5 & have played extremely talented teams all year.

Definitely IHS’s TOUGHEST ROUND 2 Opponent since the Re-Emergence of The FighTing Tigers as a state Power under Coach P’s helm!

It’s Gonna be a dogfight friday & i believe the winner will be a regional champ favorite.

Yup. Irontons issue isn't talent.

It's discipline, fundamentals and technique. The NEO teams simply do all three better.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

Wolfgang Kratzenberg
Joe Leith
JD Coffman
Roman Fry
Reggie Arden
Ken Fritz
Mark Snyder
Dennis Bacon
Mike Smith

More linemen as well, guys like Kratzenberg, Coffman, Fritz, etc we’re bulldozers that moved people. If this years team had a couple more Pattersons…

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good luck to heath

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Outoftowner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:22 pm
Wolfgang Kratzenberg
Joe Leith
JD Coffman
Roman Fry
Reggie Arden
Ken Fritz
Mark Snyder
Dennis Bacon
Mike Smith

More linemen as well, guys like Kratzenberg, Coffman, Fritz, etc we’re bulldozers that moved people. If this years team had a couple more Pattersons…
How much more talent does IHS need? They already produce more D1 college level linemen talent than Kirtland, South Range, etc.

The MAC schools and Kirtland succeed because of superior discipline and fundamentals, not talent. That’s what IHS, Burg, etc need to work on.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

I’m a Ironton guy but with all this talent and 20 coaches on the sidelines it will be a failure/embarrassment not to win the Region

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Most teams that win state titles have one thing in common.
They don’t beat themselves. Sometimes it takes a little luck. But most are disciplined, assignment playing, tough nose for the ball types of teams.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

I don’t see how the players could have any consistency with the amount of shuffling they do between positions. I’ve seen a couple lineman play 2-3 positions this year. Not to mention the LBs

For all their struggles though, Ironton is still the premier team in SEO.(For what’s that’s worth) Especially in the Pendleton era.

Ironton 21+ over Heath.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:49 pm
Outoftowner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:22 pm

How much more talent does IHS need? They already produce more D1 college level linemen talent than Kirtland, South Range, etc.

The MAC schools and Kirtland succeed because of superior discipline and fundamentals, not talent. That’s what IHS, Burg, etc need to work on.
Good point. With the mistakes and inconsistencies it would take two more Pattersons. I think they have plenty of talent, just not enough to offset the problems. Would love to see them play a clean game but I’ve been saying that for a while.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

A lot pf great comments in this thread. It is refreshing not to have to read recruiting complaints ad nauseum.

Return to “Football”