Morgan joining the Twin State League? Other expansion?

Play60Football
Freshman Team

Re: Morgan joining the Twin State League? Other expansion?

Post by Play60Football »

BobcatQB wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:48 pm
Play60Football wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:54 am
BobcatQB wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:02 am

Cambridge met w/ ADs from TSL yesterday. Now that Morgan has decided to stay in MVL, looks like Cambridge is looking elsewhere. This would more than likely be the end of the OVAC membership..that's crazy to me.
What is Morgan's hesitancy with joining the TSL? does anyone have an idea? I know in those board minutes posted there seem to be a fear of not getting enough teams to schedule or being blackballed from the MVL? What does getting blackballed from the MVL even mean really. If Cambridge were to join the TSL is that another feather in the cap to lure other teams in or does it keep them away..... extra travel time etc.

IDK why but I love conference realignment, it fascinates me!
It is fascinating. Any MVL member who leaves has to pay a $10,000 exit fee. That could be a big part of it.
That number drops by $1,000 every year that goes by I believe. So it's probably in the manageable range now or a year from now or whatever if a school really, really, really wanted to leave.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

How long is Morgan stuck in MVL big? Best thing for the kids is to join TSL.

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

Kind of interesting the talk is Cambridge and Morgan both potentially wanting to join the TSL because I would have to thing if Morgan leaves the MVL Cambridge would be their first call to replace them.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

The MVL is the longest running league in Ohio. It's been around since the 1930's, its' stable. Even if they flip with Maysville and go to the big school side, the only schools they're overmatched with in football consistently are Sheridan and Tri-Valley and they still play them even as a small side member. They may surprise me but they're an MVL charter member, I just don't see them leaving.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Here's an idea. MVL adds Fort Frye, Marietta, Warren, and Cambridge. Throw in Morgan and maybe Meadowbrook and it call it the South Division. :)

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

caldwellbasketball wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:58 pm The MVL is the longest running league in Ohio. It's been around since the 1930's, its' stable. Even if they flip with Maysville and go to the big school side, the only schools they're overmatched with in football consistently are Sheridan and Tri-Valley and they still play them even as a small side member. They may surprise me but they're an MVL charter member, I just don't see them leaving.
Let’s be honest 9/10 years Morgan is going 0-3 vs TV, John Glenn and Sheridan. They are going to struggle big time.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Play60Football wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:59 pm
BobcatQB wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:48 pm
Play60Football wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:54 am

What is Morgan's hesitancy with joining the TSL? does anyone have an idea? I know in those board minutes posted there seem to be a fear of not getting enough teams to schedule or being blackballed from the MVL? What does getting blackballed from the MVL even mean really. If Cambridge were to join the TSL is that another feather in the cap to lure other teams in or does it keep them away..... extra travel time etc.

IDK why but I love conference realignment, it fascinates me!
It is fascinating. Any MVL member who leaves has to pay a $10,000 exit fee. That could be a big part of it.
That number drops by $1,000 every year that goes by I believe. So it's probably in the manageable range now or a year from now or whatever if a school really, really, really wanted to leave.

You are correct. I believe it is down to 6k now. If they gave a two year notice, that’s 4K.

Play60Football
Freshman Team

Post by Play60Football »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:32 pm
caldwellbasketball wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:58 pm The MVL is the longest running league in Ohio. It's been around since the 1930's, its' stable. Even if they flip with Maysville and go to the big school side, the only schools they're overmatched with in football consistently are Sheridan and Tri-Valley and they still play them even as a small side member. They may surprise me but they're an MVL charter member, I just don't see them leaving.
Let’s be honest 9/10 years Morgan is going 0-3 vs TV, John Glenn and Sheridan. They are going to struggle big time.
Remember before the MVL added RV, Coshocton and Meadowbrook and split, Morgan wasn't really competitive in most sports. They had some teams that popped up here and there but Football in particular was just bad for a lot of years. Over about a 10 year span they only had a few more wins than West M and West M had a 40 game losing streak or something like that thrown in there.

The split helped them out more then probably any school in the MVL in my opinion. They've seen a good amount of success in multiple sports even winning a couple of championships. My point is that now they are going to the big school division and have to play Sheridan, TV, JG, Philo in Football and then play those schools twice in every other sport, are you going to be able to sustain the recent success you have had, will the engagement and involvement from the kids remain? based off looking at their JH teams they might have some lean years again.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Play60Football wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:30 am
Remember before the MVL added RV, Coshocton and Meadowbrook and split, Morgan wasn't really competitive in most sports. They had some teams that popped up here and there but Football in particular was just bad for a lot of years. Over about a 10 year span they only had a few more wins than West M and West M had a 40 game losing streak or something like that thrown in there.

The split helped them out more then probably any school in the MVL in my opinion. They've seen a good amount of success in multiple sports even winning a couple of championships. My point is that now they are going to the big school division and have to play Sheridan, TV, JG, Philo in Football and then play those schools twice in every other sport, are you going to be able to sustain the recent success you have had, will the engagement and involvement from the kids remain? based off looking at their JH teams they might have some lean years again.
RIght..that's why the Morgan decision to stay is difficult for me to understand. Thought for sure they would leave to join the TSL. Instead, they have to play the big schools again..crazy.

Personally, I think it's pretty funny. River View rejoins the MVL in the big school division where they should be..can't win a game in anything and now are moving back to the small division. Meadowbrook joins in the small and now has to move the the big school division..pulled the wool over their eyes to get them to join and now forces them to move up. Some shady work.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

muskiefan11 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:42 pm Kind of interesting the talk is Cambridge and Morgan both potentially wanting to join the TSL because I would have to thing if Morgan leaves the MVL Cambridge would be their first call to replace them.
I'm sure that would be the case. However, after being turned down twice, choosing River View (team that left the MVL several years earlier to join ECOL) and Meadowbrook who doesn't have soccer, swimming or tennis, and now with the shady moves of making teams switch divisions...I'd tell the MVL to screw themselves if it were me.
Last edited by BobcatQB on Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Play60Football
Freshman Team

Post by Play60Football »

BobcatQB wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:12 am

RIght..that's why the Morgan decision to stay is difficult for me to understand. Thought for sure they would leave to join the TSL. Instead, they have to play the big schools again..crazy.

Personally, I think it's pretty funny. River View rejoins the MVL in the big school division where they should be..can't win a game in anything and now are moving back to the small division. Meadowbrook joins in the small and now has to move the the big school division..pulled the wool over their eyes to get them to join and now forces them to move up. Some shady work.
The only schools moving divisions are Maysville and Morgan

2024:

Big School: TV, Sheridan, JG, RV, Philo, Morgan

Small School: Maysville, NL, Meadowbrook, Coshocton, West M, Crooksville

I believe they base them on competitive balance numbers every 4 years.
If they did them based off overall enrollment numbers I believe Morgan AND NL would be big schools and RV and Maysville would be small... Theres a few student difference! I may be all off with those enrollment numbers but I believe they're from the ODE Website. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Morgan will be a doormat if they stay in MVL big.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Play60Football wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:27 am

2024:

If they did them based off overall enrollment numbers I believe Morgan AND NL would be big schools and RV and Maysville would be small... Theres a few student difference! I may be all off with those enrollment numbers but I believe they're from the ODE Website. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
The Meadowbrook people told me they were moving up and RV moving down...Morgan and Maysville switching too as you mentioned. I was told that about a month ago.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

School districts typically want stability, the TSL is new, I can see that being the hold up. I know when we looked at it before joining the MOVL our biggest concern was playing in a league with PP. They originally were after us, Crooksville and Waterford as targets. Give them credit, they're extremely proactive. I do think Morgan, Meadowbrook, Cambridge and Athens would all be good fits for that league.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

BobcatQB wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:55 am

2024:

The Meadowbrook people told me they were moving up and RV moving down...Morgan and Maysville switching too as you mentioned. I was told that about a month ago.
I was under the understanding that it was based off total enrollment (boys and girls combined) and the only schools changing were Morgan and Maysville. Because Morgan now has a few more kids than Maysville based off the most recent enrollment numbers

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

BobcatQB wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:17 am
muskiefan11 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:42 pm Kind of interesting the talk is Cambridge and Morgan both potentially wanting to join the TSL because I would have to thing if Morgan leaves the MVL Cambridge would be their first call to replace them.
I'm sure that would be the case. However, after being turned down twice, choosing River View (team that left the MVL several years earlier to join ECOL) and Meadowbrook who doesn't have soccer or swimming, and now with the shady moves of making teams switch divisions...I'd tell the MVL to screw themselves if it were me.
Can’t say I could fault Cambridge if they chose to tell the MVL that.

Play60Football
Freshman Team

Post by Play60Football »

BobcatQB wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:55 am

2024:

Unless I missed something I'm 99.999% sure its just Maysville and Morgan switching.

Play60Football
Freshman Team

Post by Play60Football »

caldwellbasketball wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:40 am School districts typically want stability, the TSL is new, I can see that being the hold up. I know when we looked at it before joining the MOVL our biggest concern was playing in a league with PP. They originally were after us, Crooksville and Waterford as targets. Give them credit, they're extremely proactive. I do think Morgan, Meadowbrook, Cambridge and Athens would all be good fits for that league.
I've had that point for awhile that Crooksville needs to leave the MVL. I know they're a charter member but they get abused in the MVL in almost all sports, barely competitive! I just don't know where they'd go, TVC Hocking? is it staying around? MSL Cardinal? are they too big for that? I there are some D6's in there but you have HP and Wellington in Bball.

I think the TSL wouldn't solve their problems..... Crazy travel and still playing D4s but would have FF.

Crooksville, Waterford, Trimble Fort Frye and Nelsonville should get together!

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Play60Football wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:36 pm
caldwellbasketball wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:40 am School districts typically want stability, the TSL is new, I can see that being the hold up. I know when we looked at it before joining the MOVL our biggest concern was playing in a league with PP. They originally were after us, Crooksville and Waterford as targets. Give them credit, they're extremely proactive. I do think Morgan, Meadowbrook, Cambridge and Athens would all be good fits for that league.
I've had that point for awhile that Crooksville needs to leave the MVL. I know they're a charter member but they get abused in the MVL in almost all sports, barely competitive! I just don't know where they'd go, TVC Hocking? is it staying around? MSL Cardinal? are they too big for that? I there are some D6's in there but you have HP and Wellington in Bball.

I think the TSL wouldn't solve their problems..... Crazy travel and still playing D4s but would have FF.

Crooksville, Waterford, Trimble Fort Frye and Nelsonville should get together!
I believe the Crooksville - TSL talk was to form a small school division with Belpre, Caldwell, Waterford, and maybe another school or two.

MoCoSportsGuy02
Riding the Bench

Post by MoCoSportsGuy02 »

Morgan and Maysville are the only schools switching based on the 22-23, 23-24 numbers.

According to OHSAA Website..

Morgan had 214 boys and 201 girls for 415.
Maysville had 220 boys and 193 girls for 413.

The rest of the MVL for next year
Large School

Tri-Valley 334 boys and 349 girls for 683
Sheridan 267 boys and 267 girls for 534
John Glenn 276 boys and 257 girls for 533
Philo 258 boys and 195 girls for 453
River View 210 boys and 215 girls for 425
Morgan 415

(Enrollment spread from top to bottom of the division 268).

Small School

Maysville 413
New Lexington 203 boys and 199 girls for 402
Meadowbrook 192 boys and 184 girls for 376
Coshocton 174 boys and 184 girls for 358
West Muskingum 150 boys and 172 girls for 322'
Crooksville 117 boys and 114 girls for 221

(Enrollment spread from top to bottom of the division 192).

Return to “Football”