(New) Twin State League

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: (New) Twin State League

Post by Dundas »

:oops:
EasternDspy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:11 pm
Dundas wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:59 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:31 pm Point couldn’t find WV schools that would schedule them in football. So why would they be able to now?
Probably could have something to do with the fact that they aren’t dominant anymore.

Drop point, add Athens, Logan and Morgan.
Logan is another team that fits perfect. I think after a could of years in that new league they’ll come to TSL
Agree, Logan will be looking for something else in a couple of years. The TVC has shown they don’t want them. The tsl could be an option. There is really nowhere else for them at this point. They also played Fort, Warren and Marietta this year. They have played point as an seoal foe before. It just makes sense.

In all honesty, I just don’t know why the old seoal doesn’t get back together.

Logan
Jackson
Marietta
Warren
Point
Gallia

Add fort Frye and maybe Athens.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:04 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:42 pm Rather have Cambridge than Point.
I wouldn’t. The TSL will be nothing more than a placeholder for Cambridge until they finally get into the MVL or are a part of some type of IVC expansion.
Makes sense. If it were me, I'd tell the MVL to pound salt. They had their chance to add Cambridge twice and decided on Coshocton, Meadowbrook and River View instead...yes, River View. The team that left the MVL years earlier to join the ECOL. Meadowbrook, which doesn't have soccer or swimming. I would never schedule MVL schools and I would never accept an invite..but again, that's just me. I thought everything would be fine by joining the Buckeye Eight..and for the most part, it has. Solidifies guaranteed OVAC qualifications in all sports and strengthens long time rivalries with some schools. Now that the Ferries from Martins and Edison left, only 8 teams left..fine, but now it's mandatory scheduling with regular trips to East Liverpool..too darn far. That was bad enough but screwing us out of a league championship in baseball made the decision of looking elsewhere easier.

IVC conversation is interesting. They were considering adding Cambridge and Harrison Central a few years ago but ultimately decided not to expand. They already have enough teams anyway.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Dundas wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:36 pm :oops:
EasternDspy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:11 pm
Dundas wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:59 pm

Probably could have something to do with the fact that they aren’t dominant anymore.

Drop point, add Athens, Logan and Morgan.
Logan is another team that fits perfect. I think after a could of years in that new league they’ll come to TSL
Agree, Logan will be looking for something else in a couple of years. The TVC has shown they don’t want them. The tsl could be an option. There is really nowhere else for them at this point. They also played Fort, Warren and Marietta this year. They have played point as an seoal foe before. It just makes sense.

In all honesty, I just don’t know why the old seoal doesn’t get back together.

Logan
Jackson
Marietta
Warren
Point
Gallia

Add fort Frye and maybe Athens.
Exactly..although the Gallia and Jackson trips to Marietta would be a little much.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

BobcatQB wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:02 am
I wouldn’t. The TSL will be nothing more than a placeholder for Cambridge until they finally get into the MVL or are a part of some type of IVC expansion.
Makes sense. If it were me, I'd tell the MVL to pound salt. They had their chance to add Cambridge twice and decided on Coshocton, Meadowbrook and River View instead...yes, River View. The team that left the MVL years earlier to join the ECOL. Meadowbrook, which doesn't have soccer or swimming. I would never schedule MVL schools and I would never accept an invite..but again, that's just me. I thought everything would be fine by joining the Buckeye Eight..and for the most part, it has. Solidifies guaranteed OVAC qualifications in all sports and strengthens long time rivalries with some schools. Now that the Ferries from Martins and Edison left, only 8 teams left..fine, but now it's mandatory scheduling with regular trips to East Liverpool..too darn far. That was bad enough but screwing us out of a league championship in baseball made the decision of looking elsewhere easier.

IVC conversation is interesting. They were considering adding Cambridge and Harrison Central a few years ago but ultimately decided not to expand. They already have enough teams anyway.
Just come we are about to set some new rivalries in the TSL

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

I understand where you're coming from. If I were from Cambridge, I would probably feel the same way about the MVL. With that said, I think there is a good chance that there is some movement in the MVL and/or IVC within the next 5-10 years. If/when that happens, Cambridge will be a top target. In that case, are you staying with 3-4 schools down south or joining one of the most stable leagues in the state with much better travel? That's a no brainer, even with what happened a couple of years ago.

I don't understand the Buckeye 8. It seems like an afterthought up in OVAC country. It's all OVAC schools of similar size with good travel and rivalry history, yet schools are leaving left and right. Marietta, Warren, and Fort Frye are all OVAC members, so joining the TSL wouldn't have to end Cambridge's OVAC tenure. I am not against Cambridge joining the TSL. I just do not want to see Point Pleasant leave.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:46 am

I understand where you're coming from. If I were from Cambridge, I would probably feel the same way about the MVL. With that said, I think there is a good chance that there is some movement in the MVL and/or IVC within the next 5-10 years. If/when that happens, Cambridge will be a top target. In that case, are you staying with 3-4 schools down south or joining one of the most stable leagues in the state with much better travel? That's a no brainer, even with what happened a couple of years ago.

I don't understand the Buckeye 8. It seems like an afterthought up in OVAC country. It's all OVAC schools of similar size with good travel and rivalry history, yet schools are leaving left and right. Marietta, Warren, and Fort Frye are all OVAC members, so joining the TSL wouldn't have to end Cambridge's OVAC tenure. I am not against Cambridge joining the TSL. I just do not want to see Point Pleasant leave.
Point is stuck they are not going anywhere

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

I would think that continuing to build around Marietta/Warren/FF would be best. I really don't know schools in WV around there except for Parkersburg and Williamstown but I would guess there are a few. Maybe Morgan but Cambridge is just too far if you're going to continue to expand south and southwest.

Geographically, Cambridge really doesn't need to be in another league besides the OVAC. So many schools within 45 min for which you could complete a schedule. LCL, MVL, IVC, B8, TSL, MOVL...tons of schools between 30 min and an hour.

Buckeye Local, Martins Ferry and Edison are only schools to leave Buckeye Eight. Buckeye Local is a train wreck, Ferry is full of ferries who don't think they can compete anymore and Edison, well, don't know what they are doing. Again, these schools can be just fine with an OVAC schedule. Buckeye Local leaving was filled by Cambridge a few years ago. However, East Liverpool and Union Local have entertained leaving but have stayed.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

BobcatQB wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:31 am

I would think that continuing to build around Marietta/Warren/FF would be best. I really don't know schools in WV around there except for Parkersburg and Williamstown but I would guess there are a few. Maybe Morgan but Cambridge is just too far if you're going to continue to expand south and southwest.

Geographically, Cambridge really doesn't need to be in another league besides the OVAC. So many schools within 45 min for which you could complete a schedule. LCL, MVL, IVC, B8, TSL, MOVL...tons of schools between 30 min and an hour.

Buckeye Local, Martins Ferry and Edison are only schools to leave Buckeye Eight. Buckeye Local is a train wreck, Ferry is full of ferries who don't think they can compete anymore and Edison, well, don't know what they are doing. Again, these schools can be just fine with an OVAC schedule. Buckeye Local leaving was filled by Cambridge a few years ago. However, East Liverpool and Union Local have entertained leaving but have stayed.
As far as WV schools go, Point is one of only a few realistic options. PHS and South aren’t going anywhere and they are much, much bigger schools. Ripley is probably the next most likely option within reasonable driving distance. But, again, you’re looking at a 1 hr 45 minute drive down 77 from Cambridge. Most other WV schools locally are too small to add (Wirt, St. Mary’s, etc). Williamstown, maybe, but there’s virtually zero chance of that happening if I had to guess. I’d keep it to teams in the Ohio side of the river as much as possible.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Can we stop saying OVAC is a conference? Until they mandate schedules OVAC Is more like an affiliation. A ton of the schools in OVAC won’t play Marietta , Warren and Fort Frye. MOVL is pretty much the PVC with a few additions. At the end of the day PVC broke up because Fort was getting to good at football and girls basketball. Got to respect Caldwell they never would dodge anyone. Even Frontier basketball and Coach Kirkpatrick who never wanted to leave the pvc. At the end of the day Fort leaving made them better overall because now they get to play better competition but I miss the PVC.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

I understand Buckeye Local and Edison, but Martins Ferry leaving the Buckeye 8 to schedule some tiny schools in the Lancaster area is a real head scratcher to me. So, with eight teams remaining in the Buckeye 8, Cambridge will have 7 mandatory conference games next season? Outside of EL and Beaver, seems like those are all schools Cambridge would be playing anyway if they were an OVAC only member.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

beg003 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:45 am

As far as WV schools go, Point is one of only a few realistic options. PHS and South aren’t going anywhere and they are much, much bigger schools. Ripley is probably the next most likely option within reasonable driving distance. But, again, you’re looking at a 1 hr 45 minute drive down 77 from Cambridge. Most other WV schools locally are too small to add (Wirt, St. Mary’s, etc). Williamstown, maybe, but there’s virtually zero chance of that happening if I had to guess. I’d keep it to teams in the Ohio side of the river as much as possible.
Williamstown needs to give the TSL a serious look imo. They will be AA starting next year with the four class setup, so they won't be able to load their schedule with a bunch of A schools they can beat by 60. The road to a state title will be more difficult, as well. All local matchups outside of Point. I agree it probably won't happen, but other than Ripley they are really the only WV school that fits the TSL mold.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:53 pm

Williamstown needs to give the TSL a serious look imo. They will be AA starting next year with the four class setup, so they won't be able to load their schedule with a bunch of A schools they can beat by 60. The road to a state title will be more difficult, as well. All local matchups outside of Point. I agree it probably won't happen, but other than Ripley they are really the only WV school that fits the TSL mold.
I do agree Williamstown should give it a look. It would get them much more prepared for a AA playoff run than the current LKC. A week in, week out schedule with several Ohio teams on it is way more difficult than a schedule full of Single A teams. I just don’t think they’ll go for it. Great program, no doubt, but at first glance, they strike me as being content as the big fish in a small pond. Maybe they aren’t, but that’s just my impression.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

beg003 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:18 pm
I do agree Williamstown should give it a look. It would get them much more prepared for a AA playoff run than the current LKC. A week in, week out schedule with several Ohio teams on it is way more difficult than a schedule full of Single A teams. I just don’t think they’ll go for it. Great program, no doubt, but at first glance, they strike me as being content as the big fish in a small pond. Maybe they aren’t, but that’s just my impression.
0-4 Vs Fort Frye

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:33 pm

0-4 Vs Fort Frye
Exactly. They would still be good if they played across the river regularly, but they just aren’t used to having play decent to good teams week in and week out. When they get one, the intensity level is something they aren’t used to. The TSL showed this year all four teams are very competitive with one another. Williamstown would likely lose more games than they’re used to, but they’d be more prepared than just about any other AA team for WV’s playoffs.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I agree Williamstown played such a bad schedule this year.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

I understand next year will be different in AA but they've been to state championship game like 10 times in last 20 years. I'd say the school and community are pretty happy with that.

UncleRico05
Waterboy

Post by UncleRico05 »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:04 pm I agree Williamstown played such a bad schedule this year.
It was so bad and they still beat Marietta who beat Warren who beat Point Pleasant who beat Fort Frye… that’s weird?

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

beg003 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:02 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:33 pm
0-4 Vs Fort Frye
Exactly. They would still be good if they played across the river regularly, but they just aren’t used to having play decent to good teams week in and week out. When they get one, the intensity level is something they aren’t used to. The TSL showed this year all four teams are very competitive with one another. Williamstown would likely lose more games than they’re used to, but they’d be more prepared than just about any other AA team for WV’s playoffs.
You act as if the teams in the TSL are powerhouses. Other than Fort Frye, who is allegedly “preparing” them for post season play? Point didn’t make the playoffs this year in WV because of their SOS points. Warren and Marietta won’t help you going 4-6/5-5 every year. Better build some consistency of winning in the conference before trying to lure a team like Williamstown into it.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:47 pm

I understand Buckeye Local and Edison, but Martins Ferry leaving the Buckeye 8 to schedule some tiny schools in the Lancaster area is a real head scratcher to me. So, with eight teams remaining in the Buckeye 8, Cambridge will have 7 mandatory conference games next season? Outside of EL and Beaver, seems like those are all schools Cambridge would be playing anyway if they were an OVAC only member.
Just doesn't make sense for MF to leave. They are middle of the pack as far as enrollment numbers, great football tradition that is trying to rebuild, basketball is doing well and baseball is good except their coach is a prick and afraid to play us. Really the only issues are Beaver & East Liverpool. Football is staggered schedule wise so only one trip there a year but lower level games, etc with that travel is too much. I think the league fits Cambridge well as it did for MF.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

I agree..plus it's not ideal to have a conference with multiple states. I just don't see TSL expanding North but they are in discussions.

Return to “Football”