Toledo Central Catholic plays in a Detroit based conference

Tri_State79
Varsity

Toledo Central Catholic plays in a Detroit based conference

Post by Tri_State79 »

That regular season schedule is a monster. Very talented team I'm watching vs Waterson.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Re: Toledo Central Catholic plays in a Detroit based conference

Post by Outoftowner »

Possibly the best team in the state last year. Certainly one of the top teams this year. Tiny school. I think they only have around 200 boys. They get the pick of the liter in the Toledo area. CB number is huge. Future of high school football. I’m good with it if I get to watch quality ball at a high school level

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Outoftowner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:19 pm Possibly the best team in the state last year. Certainly one of the top teams this year. Tiny school. I think they only have around 200 boys. They get the pick of the liter in the Toledo area. CB number is huge. Future of high school football. I’m good with it if I get to watch quality ball at a high school level
They are fun to watch. Well coached and talented.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Outoftowner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:19 pm Possibly the best team in the state last year. Certainly one of the top teams this year. Tiny school. I think they only have around 200 boys. They get the pick of the liter in the Toledo area. CB number is huge. Future of high school football. I’m good with it if I get to watch quality ball at a high school level
A catholic school that recruits to build a powerhouse football program in Ohio is the “future of high school football?” Are you serious? Where have you been the past 50 years if you think this is the future?

Catholic schools in Ohio have been dominating the state playoffs since the system began in 1972. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Toledo Central Catholic winning state is just history repeating itself. Nothing new.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:04 pm
A catholic school that recruits to build a powerhouse football program in Ohio is the “future of high school football?” Are you serious? Where have you been the past 50 years if you think this is the future?

Catholic schools in Ohio have been dominating the state playoffs since the system began in 1972. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Toledo Central Catholic winning state is just history repeating itself. Nothing new.
Really. Had no idea said no one anywhere that follows high school football. Kids transferring is the future regardless of private or public. Kirtland and Marion Local are small school anomalies. If schools like Ironton or Wheelersburg want to consistently compete for a state title they’ll need to play the transfer game or somehow recreate the football life culture created by the aforementioned schools and I seriously doubt that happens since the current odds in Ohio are 2 in 700+

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Outoftowner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:38 pm

Really. Had no idea said no one anywhere that follows high school football. Kids transferring is the future regardless of private or public. Kirtland and Marion Local are small school anomalies. If schools like Ironton or Wheelersburg want to consistently compete for a state title they’ll need to play the transfer game or somehow recreate the football life culture created by the aforementioned schools and I seriously doubt that happens since the current odds in Ohio are 2 in 700+
If you get that, then why did you point out a Catholic school as what the future would look like?

However, you are wrong about the future. In the big school divisions, the Catholic schools (that recruit) will continue to dominate as they always have (nothing new). However, the smaller divisions will continue to be dominated by schools that do not recruit, such as the MAC and Kirtland programs. Why will the Catholic schools not dominate the smaller divisions? Because the vast majority of Catholic programs have been pushed out of the small divisions due to CB. Those that remain simply don’t have the numbers to compete.

Btw, Ironton has been playing the transfer game more than any public school in D5. They’ve had a roster packed with talent; again, more than any team in D5. Ironton has had more college power 5 recruits in the past five years than all other D5 schools combined.

Despite all of that, don’t see Ironton winning any state titles.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:51 pm

If you get that, then why did you point out a Catholic school as what the future would look like?

However, you are wrong about the future. In the big school divisions, the Catholic schools (that recruit) will continue to dominate as they always have (nothing new). However, the smaller divisions will continue to be dominated by schools that do not recruit, such as the MAC and Kirtland programs. Why will the Catholic schools not dominate the smaller divisions? Because the vast majority of Catholic programs have been pushed out of the small divisions due to CB. Those that remain simply don’t have the numbers to compete.

Btw, Ironton has been playing the transfer game more than any public school in D5. They’ve had a roster packed with talent; again, more than any team in D5. Ironton has had more college power 5 recruits in the past five years than all other D5 schools combined.

There are no less than 10 D5 teams with a higher CB number than Ironton including Liberty Center and Prep. My point is that Ironton needs more transfers. I don’t care if they get moved up in class and whether they do it with home grown kids or transfers. I’m not calling for an NIL model in high school sports but kids can easily see what’s going on at the college level and some will undoubtedly mimic that. I’m saying that number will increase given the current atmosphere in sports and I don’t blame them. There have always been transfers for sports and other reasons but that number will continue to increase regardless of whether a school is public or private. Cultural anomalies such as Kirtland can happen but they’re not widespread and typically disappear when the coaching staff leaves. Maybe Burg or Ironton can catch lightning in a bottle with their current coaching staffs but I’d certainly bet against it.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Outoftowner wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:27 am
RBH23 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:51 pm

There are no less than 10 D5 teams with a higher CB number than Ironton including Liberty Center and Prep. My point is that Ironton needs more transfers. I don’t care if they get moved up in class and whether they do it with home grown kids or transfers. I’m not calling for an NIL model in high school sports but kids can easily see what’s going on at the college level and some will undoubtedly mimic that. I’m saying that number will increase given the current atmosphere in sports and I don’t blame them. There have always been transfers for sports and other reasons but that number will continue to increase regardless of whether a school is public or private. Cultural anomalies such as Kirtland can happen but they’re not widespread and typically disappear when the coaching staff leaves. Maybe Burg or Ironton can catch lightning in a bottle with their current coaching staffs but I’d certainly bet against it.
Ironton’s CB number doesn’t reflect all of their transfers since a number of them moved into the district. Example: Felder, Keyes, and Perkins added 0 to their CB.

Ironton’s problem is not talent. They also do not have a participation problem. Their problem is a sloppy offense and poor line play (especially OL).

As for “lightning in a bottle,” I agree with you there. Special coaches are hard to come by. And cultures like Kirtland and the MAC schools are not incredibly common either.

However, IHS and Burg are not that far off with regards to culture and had special coaches with Miller and Lutz. Watch Kirtland and the MAC schools. It’s like watching a Miller/Lutz coached team. Imagine how successful those two coaches would be if the playoff system was watered down in the 70’s and 80’s like it is today. Both schools would be racking up regional titles and playing in the state finals year after year after year…. Unfortunately just making the playoffs back then was difficult, and the lower divisions were loaded with powerhouse catholic schools due to no CB adder.

My point to this long winded post: Burg and IHS have to get back to the model that made each team football powers.

Return to “Football”