Wheelersburg 49 Ironton 6

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WEEK 1 IRONTON @WHEELERSBURG -- YOUR THOUGHTS.

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'M USED TO IT, GOT MY KC MASTERPIECE ALL SET UP BY MY OLE COMPOOTER IN THE MAN CAVE.
DANGIT WITH THE CANNONS ALREADY============= FULL SPEED AHEAD TIGERS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

IBTT,

First of all thank you for making this thread an ABSOLUTE gem.

Second, you may want to tone it down just a wee bit lol, just in case perhaps you got this one wrong. Speaking from experience last year when I ran my trap about my school (Wellston) that was gonna knock off a heavily favored program in Week 1 of 2015 because we had a bevy of fast and big seniors and good group of juniors, and that prediction turned out to be, well, it was, ummm, wrong.

You gotta love this Week 1 match-up between Burg and Ironton, no doubt the lead up to this game has been entertaining.

Good luck to both schools, and I have to admit I am hoping for some more IBTT posts lol.

voodoochild
Riding the Bench

Post by voodoochild »

My initial thought entering the season was this was a 5-5 or 6-4 team. Nothing I saw in the preview has changed my mind. I hope i'm proved wrong though.

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Buramgerdin wrote:I wonder at times if ITBB even reads his own posts? Ironton has gone from having "6-7" running backs that were all going to be good and run in and out, to now they are missing 2 so that is the reason they were not very good. Of course, they didn't "show anything" from the T. What is there in the T formation that wasn't shown? Because every time I have watched Ironton it is the same basic 4 plays they run out of the T, which were the same ones they ran vs Portsmouth. And how do you not "show much" on defense? Ironton played their base defenses and couldn't tackle Parker or cover the Portsmouth receivers.

To me there were a couple of plays that were very indicative of the scrimmage. Ironton had 4th and less than 1 at their own 40. They ran behind their best lineman. The fullback was hit in the mouth and lost 2 yards. Another play, Portsmouth had 3rd and 12 and ran a draw with Parker who proceeded to shred the defense straight up the middle. Those are key plays that win and lose ball games.

And of course Burg never has the athletes Ironton does but somehow manage to put a running clock on them.

I was told Portsmouth scrimmaged Waverly and lost by 7 TDs. So Portsmouth must not be a powerhouse either.

Also, Ashland has a very good back in the Brown kid, who by the way is at Ashland and did not leave for Spring Valley so you might want to get ready to eat more crow on that one too. Russell also returns most of the players that beat Ironton last year, most importantly one of the best backs in the area Conley. Conley is more capable than Parker since Parker is a freshman and Conley being a senior. Ironton could easily go under 500 with what I saw.

LMAO , you said Portsmouth & power house in same sentence?

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Abe Froman wrote:
IBTT wrote:Ironton had their speed back out, Scott, and he wont play until the Burg game. Ironton also had Carico out who would be the only returning starter in the backfield. He also wont be returning until the Burg game. Pleasant didn't play. He is one of the two starting linebackers, while Scott is the Starting Safety and Carico is one of the starting corners. Ironton also had out two of their starting linemen for that game who also wont be playing until the Burg game. This game was a nice game for some of the fans to see the orange and black jerseys get out on the field and have a few of the kids work on some plays that they needed to work on in a practice situation. It also gave some of the kids a chance to show the coaches that if they were needed down the road for certain roles how they might react against varsity competition. Some were ready while others weren't quite there yet. Scrimmages are just that. To some people it is their super bowl any time they get a shot at beating a team like Ironton or Wheelersburg even if those teams aren't at full strength or giving a full effort at winning the scrimmage. With two weeks left to go, at this point after seeing the talent in the OVC and most of the SOC, I am thinking Ironton will be the team in Southern Ohio to beat. Portsmouth and Wheelersburg will be a toss up for second, while Rock Hill, Coal Grove, Minford, Piketon and Chesepeake will be a toss up after that. I can see Ironton getting the one seed this year in the computer poll going 10-0 as Ashland now has no backfield or line, Russell is down and after seeing Burg they just wont compete athlete wise. Burg and Portsmouth both will either go 9-1 or 8-2 barring a major bad game. Among the next group of teams I would have to give the nod to Minford or Chesepeake. I believe Chesepeake's size will hamper them by the end of the season and keep them out of contention.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Boys, I admit, last season I was expecting a decent year from the fighting tigers. We had a solid Fullback and one of the best running backs Ironton had suited up in years in the backfield starting game one. Defensively, we also had those two who looked to provide good stopping power, which #32 did a fine job at linebacker. Outside of that, we had great height on the ends and a very strong group of kids on the line. However, team Chemistry never really came together.

Game one of the regular season, we found out that we still had a lot of the same troubles that had hurt Ironton teams in the previous 5-6 seasons with our 92 yards of penalties and our 5 turnovers. Even with that said, Ironton nearly won the game, only losing to Burg, who made it to the final four last year, only to get beat by the eventual State Champion.

Game two of last year saw Ironton lose 5 top starters from the team and have to replace them with kids who, though gave it everything they had, weren't quite ready for varsity action. Ironton went from dominating the Russell Red Devils in the first half, to not being able to even snap the ball to the quarterback the second half, eventually hiking the ball over the quarterback's head and into the end zone for the go ahead score. Ironton never recovered the rest of the year, as the team was low in numbers to start the year and with the injuries, completely depleted.

This season, with the addition of even one new face today who will give us instant help on the line, Ironton begins this year with 55 players. That is more than 20 players more than started out last season and the most kids I can remember being on the team since the early 80s. Both injured linemen who expected to be back by September look now to be ahead of schedule, with one of the two starting workouts today. Also today Mr. Scott was able to begin working out with the team. He looks every bit as good as advertised. The Carico Kid is supposed to get released from the doctor tomorrow, which will give us another experienced back in the lineup, not to mention his defensive ability as a corner beside Scott at Safety. The speed on this team will give teams fits. Anxious to watch the Burg game this year. I love for us to be the one playing the underdog role this time.

I believe this is going to be a special year at Ironton. I have seen Burg, I know what they have and I was decently impressed by them preseason. I never dreamed that Ironton would be able to amass as many good athletes as they have on this squad as they have. I know I am going way out on a limb to say Ironton will be the team to beat. I really can't imagine after all that I have seen, unless they have an awful game as they did last year that they would lose to anyone on their schedule as the schedule goes. I know Burg gets better as the season goes as Ironton used to. That will be something to see this year as the playoff near, but as of right now, I have to say Ironton by a few touchdowns.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

IBTT wrote:Boys, I admit, last season I was expecting a decent year from the fighting tigers. We had a solid Fullback and one of the best running backs Ironton had suited up in years in the backfield starting game one. Defensively, we also had those two who looked to provide good stopping power, which #32 did a fine job at linebacker all year injury free. Outside of that, we had great height on the ends and a very strong group of kids on the line. However, team Chemistry never really came together.

Game one of the regular season, we found out that we still had a lot of the same troubles that had hurt Ironton teams in the previous 5-6 seasons with our 92 yards of penalties and our 5 turnovers(including one on a muffed punt catch). Even with that said, Ironton nearly won the game, only losing to Burg, who made it to the final four last year, only to get beat by the eventual State Champion.

Game two of last year saw Ironton lose 5 top starters from the team and have to replace them with kids who, though gave it everything they had, weren't quite the athletes that they were asked to replace, having many freshmen and sophomores having to step up with very little experience. Ironton went from dominating the Russell Red Devils in the first half, to not being able to even snap the ball to the quarterback the second half, eventually hiking the ball over the quarterback's head and into the end zone for the go ahead score. Ironton never recovered the rest of the year, as the team was low in numbers to start the year and with the injuries, completely depleted. I was not the only one who had high hopes of this team, even after the loss to Burg in the first game by only one score. Ironton actually looked pretty good only giving up two scores while giving the ball away five times and 92 yards in penalties. Winning the OVC last season was a tough task with the injury situation and small numbers, but that was a large accomplishment considering everything this team had to face.

This season, with the addition of even one new face today who will give us instant help on the line as a returning starter at defensive end, Ironton begins this year with 55 players. That is 20 players more than started out last season and the most kids I can remember being on the team since the early 80s. Both injured linemen who expected to be back by September look now to be ahead of schedule, with one of the two starting workouts today. Also today Mr. Scott was able to begin working out with the team. He looks every bit as good as advertised. The Carico Kid is supposed to get released from the doctor tomorrow, which will give us another experienced back in the lineup, not to mention his defensive ability as a corner, playing beside Scott at Safety. The speed on this team will give many teams fits. Anxious to watch the Burg game this year. I love for us to be the one playing the underdog role this time. To think that a couple of weeks ago we were worried about our size on this team. Today to look at this team, I haven't seen size like this since the Walt Delong and Wolfgang Kratzenburg days. Not to mention that these boys can also move much like those boys did back in the day.

I believe this is going to be a special year at Ironton. I have seen Burg, I know what they have and I was decently impressed by them preseason. I never dreamed that Ironton would be able to amass as many good athletes as they have on this squad. I know I am going way out on a limb to say Ironton will be the team to beat. I really can't imagine after all that I have seen, unless they have an awful game as they did last year vs. Burg that they would lose to anyone on their schedule as the schedule goes. I know Burg gets better as the season goes as Ironton used to. That will be something to see this year as the playoff near, but as of right now, I have to say Ironton by a few touchdowns.
Last edited by IBTT on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

IBTT wrote:Boys, I admit, last season I was expecting a decent year from the fighting tigers. We had a solid Fullback and one of the best running backs Ironton had suited up in years in the backfield starting game one. Defensively, we also had those two who looked to provide good stopping power, which #32 did a fine job at linebacker. Outside of that, we had great height on the ends and a very strong group of kids on the line. However, team Chemistry never really came together.

Game one of the regular season, we found out that we still had a lot of the same troubles that had hurt Ironton teams in the previous 5-6 seasons with our 92 yards of penalties and our 5 turnovers. Even with that said, Ironton nearly won the game, only losing to Burg, who made it to the final four last year, only to get beat by the eventual State Champion.

Game two of last year saw Ironton lose 5 top starters from the team and have to replace them with kids who, though gave it everything they had, weren't quite ready for varsity action. Ironton went from dominating the Russell Red Devils in the first half, to not being able to even snap the ball to the quarterback the second half, eventually hiking the ball over the quarterback's head and into the end zone for the go ahead score. Ironton never recovered the rest of the year, as the team was low in numbers to start the year and with the injuries, completely depleted.

This season, with the addition of even one new face today who will give us instant help on the line, Ironton begins this year with 55 players. That is more than 20 players more than started out last season and the most kids I can remember being on the team since the early 80s. Both injured linemen who expected to be back by September look now to be ahead of schedule, with one of the two starting workouts today. Also today Mr. Scott was able to begin working out with the team. He looks every bit as good as advertised. The Carico Kid is supposed to get released from the doctor tomorrow, which will give us another experienced back in the lineup, not to mention his defensive ability as a corner beside Scott at Safety. The speed on this team will give teams fits. Anxious to watch the Burg game this year. I love for us to be the one playing the underdog role this time.

I believe this is going to be a special year at Ironton. I have seen Burg, I know what they have and I was decently impressed by them preseason. I never dreamed that Ironton would be able to amass as many good athletes as they have on this squad as they have. I know I am going way out on a limb to say Ironton will be the team to beat. I really can't imagine after all that I have seen, unless they have an awful game as they did last year that they would lose to anyone on their schedule as the schedule goes. I know Burg gets better as the season goes as Ironton used to. That will be something to see this year as the playoff near, but as of right now, I have to say Ironton by a few touchdowns.
I get it. You are ingrained with Tiger spirit. You are probably having a flash back of your glory days. Riding the pink cloud. You are so overwhelmed by it all. Ironton is a way of life. We all can relate to that.

But let me say this, no matter how much spirit you may have. No matter the past, no matter the future. No matter how high the cloud may seem. Right now today, Burg is the storm. You may be able to shelter from it for a little while. You may be able to hold your umbrella. You may even be able to run from it. But, much like mother nature IBTT, Burg will have its way. Top to bottom they are the strongest team in Southern Ohio. Like it or not, it is what it is. So sit back and drink up on your Kool Aid and I'll just be sitting over here drinking my Jameson.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

P(irate) wrote:
IBTT wrote:Boys, I admit, last season I was expecting a decent year from the fighting tigers. We had a solid Fullback and one of the best running backs Ironton had suited up in years in the backfield starting game one. Defensively, we also had those two who looked to provide good stopping power, which #32 did a fine job at linebacker. Outside of that, we had great height on the ends and a very strong group of kids on the line. However, team Chemistry never really came together.

I get it. You are ingrained with Tiger spirit. You are probably having a flash back of your glory days. Riding the pink cloud. You are so overwhelmed by it all. Ironton is a way of life. We all can relate to that.

But let me say this, no matter how much spirit you may have. No matter the past, no matter the future. No matter how high the cloud may seem. Right now today, Burg is the storm. You may be able to shelter from it for a little while. You may be able to hold your umbrella. You may even be able to run from it. But, much like mother nature IBTT, Burg will have its way. Top to bottom they are the strongest team in Southern Ohio. Like it or not, it is what it is. So sit back and drink up on your Kool Aid and I'll just be sitting over here drinking my Jameson.
I will have to say, until Ironton proves what I am saying, I have to sit back and say Burg is the Big Dog until they get beat. I have no doubt that the coaching is top notch. I have seen it and I believe them guys are doing an excellent job at burg and they will give those boys every opportunity to win when they face the Fighting Tigers. I believe that the biggest part of winning is in the off season workouts, and Burg does probably the best job in the area at that. I really didn't expect Ironton to pull this much talent out this year myself and many people in tiger town will be pleasantly surprised I do believe that football is back. I believe that everyone has finally woke up and realized that winning don't just happen and that you have to work hard to get those W's. Not just the kids, but the coaching staff, administration and the parents. I hope I am right with what I am seeing, if not I guess I will be eating crow. However, as I said, until we win game one, Ironton is the underdog. This dog looks really hungry.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I gotta give IBTT some props for sticking to his beliefs.

The underdog role in a Week 1 rivalry game does bother me a little.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I hope to see that ibtt is mostly correct with his thoughts. ironton needs a big year to get the program back on top. it has been in disarray too many years after the hangover of coach lutz retiring.having 55 players, no matter what the grade is great to hear as long as the coaching is good, and discipline gets under control. getting back to hard nosed football is what the tigers need. but the evolution of the forward pass is still a lingering project in ironton. you don't have to throw the ball 45 yards on passing downs. take advantage of the intermediate passing game when it's not an obvious passing down. and let the backs do their jobs. 2 things that have been lacking are o-lineman not sticking with blocks and arm tackling. if these things are improved, ironton could be a hard out.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

one thing is sure since 2007 nobody is better prepared in these parts for game 1 than the burgites. nobody can deny that. they are lean and fast and hungry. and get off blocks extremely quick. which is why o-lineman need to maintain their blocks longer. and they are fundamentally sound and wrap up , and nearly never shoot themselves in the foot. just like ironton was for 40 years under lutz. a marked change in these directions will show me ironton football is back.so at this point we just need to wait n see. but an opener with burg is wayyyyyyyyy more of a test than most programs will ever know. but we saw last year in the title game as burg got smashed by coldwater that southern football needs to improve in many, many ways to get back to the shoe. but I'm just glad football is right around the corner. go tigers go. and good luck to both teams this season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

the smashmouth style still works , but you gotta have the horses to do it. and be able to keep teams off balance by passing and spreading the field out. our biggest fault when we do pass is we predictably throw a long ball. and not using the underneath stuff. which basically for a defender means just don't let anybody get behind you.where as the shorter routes, especially with double moves is way harder to cover. and ironton qb's of the past had a mastery of ball handling and fakes and were very deceiving, this loosens up the defenses bowel's just enough to buy you that split second of hesitation needed. I'm curious to see what we have fixed as well.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

OLE YTB'S EARLY PREDICTION::

THE FIGHTING TIGERS ARE SET TO LOAD UP THE OLE PIRATE SHIP IN A VIOLENT TAKEOVER OF THE SHIP. AND CLAIM THE NEW CAP'NS SEAT. THE TIGERS ARE READY TO ROLL INTO SCIOTO COUNTY AND KICK BUTT AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM, AND THEY'RE ALL OUTTA BUBBLE GUM.
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

NO I HAIN'T OFF MY MEDICATIONS.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

wouldn't be a thread without the dogg throwin in the ole cal preps prediction so here it is

Wheelersburg 35
Ironton 6

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Running clock in this one.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Running clock for who? Give us your score rolltanks

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Burg wins, score depends if they want to put it on them or not. Smart play would be to get the 2nd team some reps, if so 35-7 or 42-12. Somewhere in that range.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

What any true fan of either team and this game should like to see is their team win 30-28 in Triple OT.
It's not a rivalry or big game even if the same team always wins and the other doesn't put up much of a fight.
Tiger fans have got to hope that things get better quick or Burg continues to dominate.
I hope they let Isaac do more, I had the honor of being on staff at SJCC when his Dad played and yes he was darn good.

Return to “Football”