SVC FOOTBALL

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Mom, Westfall is in my top three to win it next season as well. However they shouldnt be the dominating force they were the last two seasons in the SVC. I still say that this should be Piketons year. They have two of the fastest players in the league in Tackett and Reed in the backfield. Plus through in athletes like Brabson, Southworth, Miller, Tay Tackett, both Heltons and you have a bunch of people that can make things happen with the ball. These players have a history of winning from pee wee, into jr high and now look to make their mark on the varsity level. They could have put together a jv team that could have competed with anyone, however these sophs and jrs were playing at the varsity level winning games there.

OSU BUCKS FAN
Freshman Team

Post by OSU BUCKS FAN »

eagles you forgot to mention alot of other good ball players ......

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

sorry osubucksfan if I left you off! lol

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

If Piketon wants to win the svc, they have to get past Adena! When was the last time Piketon has beaten Adena!

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Not being a smart@#$ but when was the last time Piketon beat Adena? I was just sitting here thinking and I think Piketon has lost to them the last 5 years for sure.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

mom, I started coaching jr high 6 seasons ago and I know they lost to them every year that i have coached. You probably have to go back to the 97 or 96 team I would think! Adena and Westfall are two teams that Coach Gullion has yet to beat in the league. It must be done to win the league so time to get that monkey off of our backs that is for sure.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

WOW, that is a long time curse for Piketon. I would say that the coach that the team that can beat Adena and Westfall will go down in piketon history.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

It seems to me every time Piketon has a promising season, they start to loose it when they play Adena! The 05' season the streaks started out 6-0. Played Adena the 7th game. end of that season 6-4. The 06' season Adena beat Piketon 48 to 8. And this past season Adena beat the streaks 44-28. which i thought Piketon could of won that game. But i guess not, it seems to me every time Piketon plays Adena they remeber the past seasons were Adena ran all over Piketon.

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Now I only heard parts of the game on the radio this last season. but it really seemed like Banres was giving you guys a hard time. I would study that tape everyday until next season since barnes returns

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

thats what they will have to do!

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Now for your Westfall problem that will be a little more complicated.

You would have to stop DJ from passing and at the same time stop him form being able to run

stop Cline from getting any kickoffs and/or punts that he can return for TD's
don't let him run or receive
Stop Gibson from running or receiveing
stop Cobb from receiving

and be able to penetrate the line.

Yes they lost a lot of starters but they return a lot of starters and a lot of upperclassmen.

this is the game where Piketon will have to match speed everywhere.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I forgot one more important plyer Don't let puckett kick the ball :lol: :lol:

OSU BUCKS FAN
Freshman Team

Post by OSU BUCKS FAN »

who will cain be throwing it too????
well we proved that we could stop you guys last season but our offense couldnt stop your extremely fast D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If i do recall you guys had three defensive td"s!!!!!!!!!!!

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

I dont think Cain can throw that well. I think his legs are his strength! And Gibson didnt impress me much on the offnesive side of the ball, but on the defense side of ball. He is pretty good. And mom you may be putting a little to much faith on your jv team to play varsity!

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I would guess Cobb to be the go to guy this season OSU BUCKS FAN along with Cline. they would be the main 2 unless someone from the younger guys shows them up.

Sports I may be putting a lot of faith in the up coming boys from the JV team but for 10 of the 13 weeks the mustangs played the ONLY Varsity team that scored more than 7 points on our JV was Unioto. and those boys played 1 1/2 to 2 quarters in those 10 games. so until a team shows up next season to prove those boys wrong I am going to have to stick to my guns and say they are the ones to beat again.

ausa
Waterboy

Post by ausa »

mustangmom, your a little too high on westfall, yes they will be good, but your assuming just because these jv players played well for 1-1-1/2 quarters a game, there automatically the team to beat in the svc.
playing a whole game is alot different then coming in against tired players, or alot of times, other jv teams.
now, westfall, i think, will struggle the first 3-4 games getting used to the varsity field... not saying loses, but close struggles.
that pv-westfall game in week 4 could be a big showdown.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Fortunately for the Streaks, they have about 9 months and 6 or 7 games (plus scrimmages) before they have to face either Westfall or Adena.

I think the SVC overall will be improved. Westfall, with their losses, will come back to the field a bit. Adena, with Barnes, has to be considered a threat. Piketon has some serious firepower returning. Maintaining that firepower the entire season will be a key, as will shoring up the defense. Paint Valley shouldn't be overlooked, as well as Zane Trace. SE, Huntington, and Unioto will cause some problems, but I think in the end finish at the bottom.

With what all of the teams potentially have coming back (any transfer possibilities?) it shoud be a fun and exciting year.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

ausa, I really hope the league is competitive enough this year that our boys DO get to play 4 quarters. 1 and 2 games a season of playing 4 quarters is not enough to get out of the regionals. who knows what would have happened this last season if we had been challenged more.

Fact is the SVC has never gotten the respect it deserves. and it took 5 years of trying but Westfall finally brought the league that respect. and the boys that are left behind to follow in those footsteps are going to do whatever they can to do better than the team before them.

To much faith in who is still there on the varsity and those moving up? Maybe, but they earned it that faith and respect. and until a team steps on the field and proves them wrong I will continue to say that they are going to win the league again.
Golden Football again? Don't know still to early to say. ask me again in August. to much can happen between now and then.

SEfan2007
Riding the Bench

Post by SEfan2007 »

mom you have only contradicted yourself about 2 times in your post. Yes Westfall has a good program, no one is saying they dont...but you need to TRY and think before you post.Westfall brought the league the respect it deserved? Id think the people at Paint Valley might have something to say about that, only difference is, I dont see too many Bearcat fans on here acting sanctimonious over PAST accomplishments. And yes, last year is past, albeit a great year for Westfall....2008 is another year, be careful what you predict when only thinking with your heart.

And to address the JV angle? Many times this year that same GOOD JV team was playing other schools JV...just a fact.

Onthefence
Freshman Team

Post by Onthefence »

ausa and SEfan2007

Give it up...most of the posters here are predicting Westfall in the mix for an SVC championship in 2008. yet thats not good enough for mustangmon. She is one of those people that just has to have the last word....

Return to “Football”