Re: OVC PREDICTIONS

Post by 2trap_4ever »

1.Coal Grove
2. Fairland
3.Rock Hill
4.South Point
5.River Valley
6.Chesapeake

Week 10 in Proctoville will be the game of the year in the OVC and decide the conference, mark it down.

converterfan
Freshman Team

Post by converterfan »

coal grove = 2 many returning starters

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

1. Coal Grove
2. South Point
3. Rock Hill
4. Fairland
5. Chesapeake
6. River Valley

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Was anyone in attendance at the Fairland/Valley scrimmage?
If so how did both teams look?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I think Coal Grove should be the favorite,but thats why they play the games.

Mr.D
Waterboy

Post by Mr.D »

racenut70 wrote:Fuzzhead,
Why are the Jenkins and Branch boys not playing for Coal Grove this year?

I can try an tell you both jenkins isnt even in band this year is outave most every sport hes normaly in
an branch on the other hand i guess just lost the will to go

converterfan
Freshman Team

Post by converterfan »

i hail from ironton but from what ive seen coal grove looks to be at the top of there game this year. i look for a good region 19 run for these guys, minus any injuries. look for the hornets to go far!!!

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

Forget region 19 let's make it through the conference first.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Amen to that mission

These boys have never had the target on their backs, we need to see how they act as defending champs.

It's like I've heard plenty of times, it's easier to climb the hill than to stay on top of it.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

The senior class for Coal Grove is supposedly the most talented class since the last OVC title in '97 - personally I disagree, but that statement was made and has been made time and time again. The junior and sophomore classes are stacked probably even more than the senior class. The talent and depth is there for a playoff run, and they get two big conference games against arch-rivals South Point and Rock Hill at home. They also play most of their games against bigger schools that are supposed to be decent this year so they could rack up some big time playoff points.
They have to prove to me that they can win games they aren't supposed to win like they used to before I'll even begin to start considering the possibilities of a playoff "run" of any kind like the big one back in '90.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I would like to see a run like '90, looking at our schedule they may be able to pull off enough big wins to not just make the playoffs but hava a first round game at home.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

The thing I can't help but remember is the fact that Chesapeake dominated the OVC for so long and had so many talented teams, but they were almost always out in the first round even when they were seeded pretty high. Coal Grove's going to have to man up and start beating tough teams who look better on paper and are higher ranked - teams like Minford was last year, or how Valley was a few years back.
I remember the good ol' days when Coal Grove would consistently beat Gallipolis, and I remember the year they beat Waverly and Ashland.

mcstephen10
Riding the Bench

Post by mcstephen10 »

give coal grove a schdule like south point has the past few years n lets see how there record goes that the only reason y they seem so good cause they play cake teams but yes they have a very good talented junior group they will be unstopable next forsure

earp
S

Post by earp »

Ya I remember the team in 1990 2trap!I was at the game in Dayton when Versailles laid the hammer on them!Good run for the Grove though a final 4 appearance.I went to that game with Brian Toppings dad! :mrgreen:

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

the playoffs are all matchups, You really just have to get lucky. . .
look at valley in 05. . they weren't a highly talented team. . but still took it to regional finals
I remember us beating a S catholic central team(they hit hard). . I'm almost positive could have taken out the amanda team that blanked us in the regional finals in 02'. . .after easily beating the supposed juggernaut #1 ranked undefeated woodsfield monroe (they weren't that good)

a run is a run. . but you know when you have a real team. . you'll be stacked everywhere
but making the playoffs with regularity should be a great thing. .

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Coal Grove wins the OVC this year. They have a tough team and I see them going out of the regular season with 1 loss (to Minford, at Minford). If they play a whale of a game they could run the table. But the season hasnt started yet and it is a long, long row to hoe.

I think that OVC will have a tough time playing the SOC II schools this year (Burg, Minford, West) and against Portsmouth.

Ironton needs to get out of the SEOL. They CANT compete in that league. 10-15 years ago, they could. Now, no way. I will agree that they are a notch above the rest of the Lawrence Co. teams, but they are not head and shoulders better and they are struggling to contend with the SEOL teams. But with that many boys in the school, they should be that much better.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

How many starters is Minford supposed to return? Coal Grove came a poor play-call away from potentially tying the game last year. It was one of the hardest-hitting games I've ever seen in high-school football. Coal Grove's lost to them the past two years in close games. I think this third one might be the charm.
From what I saw last year, CG should roll over Valley in Lucasville.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

CG and Minford was a very hard hitting game last year and I am sure it will be agin this year. I disagree with the assessmnet on the call. Minford took a knee inside the 5 last year at the end of the game when they could have scored. I am glad Minford is playing at home in this game.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

fuzzhead wrote:How many starters is Minford supposed to return? Coal Grove came a poor play-call away from potentially tying the game last year. It was one of the hardest-hitting games I've ever seen in high-school football. Coal Grove's lost to them the past two years in close games. I think this third one might be the charm.
From what I saw last year, CG should roll over Valley in Lucasville.

Your 100% correct, but Minford could have easily tacked on another TD at the end of the game. I am sure you are talking about the option pass or whatever it was at the end of the CG drive. It was one of the hardest hitting games I have seen in a while. The hardest hit was from CG's defensive back, when he creamed Ethan Gaines after a 30 yard run. WOW! Both of those kids were woosy and Ethan is a tough kid.

I anticipate that this year's game will probably be just as good, with alot of hard hitting and more speed than last year on both sides of the ball, both teams. It should be a dandy. I know I will have a great view from the sidelines and cant wait to see it.

CG should ROLL over Valley, unless they expect to walk through the game they should pretty much handle them.

Return to “Football”