2018 Ironton Head football coach

irontonguy2018
Waterboy

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by irontonguy2018 »

I will be going to board meeting tomorrow night .so I'll let you all know what happens.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

TanksAllTimeGreat wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm Take it for what its worth, but I was told today by someone close to the Cabell Midland program, that Luke Salmons is being courted to be the next coach of the Tigers. I live in the Barboursville area now and have got to watch his teams a ton.

I hope this is true! Fresh blood from the outside who doesn't play the last name favorites. He doesn't care who you are or what your last name is. If you can play, you will play. You want someone who will motivate the kids and the fan base to get on board? He gets 100% attendance to an off season strength and conditioning program that rivals most small colleges. If you want a quick turn around, I would have to believe he's your guy. Just look what he did at Lawrence County and Cabell Midland. If he does in fact get the nod, get ready for multiple 1,000 yard running backs and teams that will contend for championships every year.
He has a very impressive resume. I watched an interview of him, he puts a lot of emphasis on his lineman which Ironton needs help with desperately. He would be a great choice if He indeed is truly interested in the job for the long haul.

Go Fighting Tigers......

Getting Older
Riding the Bench

Post by Getting Older »

Midland has a very impressive football staff. Why would Salmons leave a place like Midland to come to Ironton who probably pays less money than Midland does with probably a 1/3 of the roster that he currently has at Midland. Something doesn't sound right to me.

Also, what coaching credentials GAME DAY have that makes him think he has the answers to what offense Ironton should have been running..To many wanna be coaches on this site in every sport.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Getting Older wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:45 pm Midland has a very impressive football staff. Why would Salmons leave a place like Midland to come to Ironton who probably pays less money than Midland does with probably a 1/3 of the roster that he currently has at Midland. Something doesn't sound right to me.

Also, what coaching credentials GAME DAY have that makes him think he has the answers to what offense Ironton should have been running..To many wanna be coaches on this site in every sport.
😂🤣 Perfect summary.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Getting Older wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:45 pm Midland has a very impressive football staff. Why would Salmons leave a place like Midland to come to Ironton who probably pays less money than Midland does with probably a 1/3 of the roster that he currently has at Midland. Something doesn't sound right to me.

He probably has as much as the current Offensive Coordinator who’s another relative of the Head Coach. Nothing against him, he’s a nice guy who was just over his head as an Offensive Coordinator.

As for Luke Sammons of Cabel Midland, who knows, he applied and was interviewed. Maybe he has his reasons for wanting this job.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

79Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am
coach knows wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am
Buramgerdin wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 am Luke Salmons is known to have left more than one school at the alter. FYI, he has interviewed for other jobs while at Midland in the past, including another school other than Ironton this year, and once receiving an offer, turned them down.
Thanks I heard something similar but I was hoping someone else would bring this up besides myself.
Sounds like he uses interviews as leverage against CM. I'd steer clear of someone like that. Not saying he wouldn't be good for Ironton but would he even come here if offered?
That would be no different than Ironton doing all of these interviews and then rehiring Vass.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I don't know what you are talking about I am not pushing this coach. I would not hire him for the simple fact I don't think he would be around long.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

pistol wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 am I’ve said this before. Why would a coach leave one of the biggest schools in wv with 70-80 players to choose from to come to Div V Ironton with a lot smaller roster, to coach in the OVC???
seems strange to me as well.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 am
79Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am
coach knows wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks I heard something similar but I was hoping someone else would bring this up besides myself.
Sounds like he uses interviews as leverage against CM. I'd steer clear of someone like that. Not saying he wouldn't be good for Ironton but would he even come here if offered?
That would be no different than Ironton doing all of these interviews and then rehiring Vass.
For it to be no different, Vass would be interviewing with other schools and using that as leverage in getting what he wants from Ironton. Otherwise, he leaves. You have it bass ackwards.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

so is the meeting tonight to hire a super and a football coach.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Ricky Bobby
Waterboy

Post by Ricky Bobby »

Did Spring Valley High (WV) Head coach, Brad Dingess apply?

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Been awhile since I have commented but I have been reading everyone's thoughts on this debate.
If coach Luke Salmons is truly interested in the Ironton job it would be a great hire.
He not only excels are winning but helps young men further themselves by furthering their education after H.S.
Is he the magic man who knows the one thing that stands out is 1 he has experience as a head coach. 2 He has shown he can turn teams around. 3 if he decides Ironton is the job for him and Ironton School board hires him will they allow him the time to turn things around.
I will admit I do not know much avout Pendleton or Ray.
Does Pendleton have head coaching experience or has he just been a assistant so far ?
And I seen where Ray is at Fairview was it as a Head Coach or as an Assistant ?
regardless of who Ironton hires it seems they are taking their time and hopefully it is a sign they are doing it right.
Vass may have been a good man but he last the team with several moves one of the biggest allowing a young man to join the team after sitting out 2 a days.
Team chemistry never seemed to be there and the secondary coaching wasn't there.
Ironton has the talent to compete and win but it will take a special person to help mode that talent to a winning team.
Talent only takes a team so far it takes a coach and a staff to lead that talent to greater heights

Sitting watching the sun set over the dessert.
Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Not sure what "leverage" Salmons could use at Cabel Midland. In West Virginia the legislature sets the salary schedule and coaches don't get paid much (like $3,500 for head coach). So, a teacher and coach in Ohio make much more than one in West Virginia.

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

Surly the BOE will at least give a timeline on the hiring of a coach maybe even get the recommendations from besvis and butthead who did a heck of a job interviewing

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Fletchlives wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:10 pm Not sure what "leverage" Salmons could use at Cabel Midland. In West Virginia the legislature sets the salary schedule and coaches don't get paid much (like $3,500 for head coach). So, a teacher and coach in Ohio make much more than one in West Virginia.
Then that may well be a good reason to want to coach at Ironton. If he is a good fit and the best man for the job, they should offer it to him.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I wonder if the board asked if he is moving his family to Ironton or close by?

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

4th and iches wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm Surly the BOE will at least give a timeline on the hiring of a coach maybe even get the recommendations from besvis and butthead who did a heck of a job interviewing
lol that’s funny!!

Admiral72
Waterboy

Post by Admiral72 »

Ironton might be a could place for Salmons:
1. Program with excellent history (yuck I graduated from GAHS) : 8-)
2. His offense focuses on running the ball; trademark of Ironton.
3. He would make about 12k more a year; this is on a 182 or 183 day contract vs a 200 day contract.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Wake me up when this thread is closed down. At least I will know something has happened.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Admiral72 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm Ironton might be a could place for Salmons:
1. Program with excellent history (yuck I graduated from GAHS) : 8-)
2. His offense focuses on running the ball; trademark of Ironton.
3. He would make about 12k more a year; this is on a 182 or 183 day contract vs a 200 day contract.
You can look up teachers and coaches salary’s
Vass doesn’t even make 12,000 to coach
Avg teachers salary in cabel co wv is about what vass makes teaching so I can’t imagine there would be a 12,000 difference in teaching salary

Return to “Football”