Portsmouth 2013

PTrojan59
S

Re: Portsmouth 2013

Post by PTrojan59 »

They're holding a scrimmage at midnight is that correct no joking or anything? Lol did we get new jerseys ?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans are supposed to be having a midnight intrasquad scrimmage on Friday night, then will host Wellston the following Friday the 16th at 7:00 pm, and will play at home vs. Piketon on Friday the 24th, presumably at the same time.

I have been to 2 practices thus far, and Coach Sparks is infusing a lot of energy into the practices.........he's got kids moving around at a fast pace, and his enthusiasm seems to be contagious with the team. Energy and enthusiasm can only help our program.

From my understanding, the Trojans will be donning new jerseys in 2013.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Thanks for the info Dave, Can't wait to see the Trojans Friday night.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

I've seen pictures of the new jerseys and helmets.....they are SHARP! Hopefully it translates onto the field.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

How did the intrasquad scrimmage go last night

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Trojan Dave wrote
The Trojans are supposed to be having a midnight intrasquad scrimmage on Friday night, then will host Wellston the following Friday the 16th at 7:00 pm, and will play at home vs. Piketon on Friday the 24th, presumably at the same time.
I think the scrimmage starts at 6 pm Friday not seven.

Trojans looked ok last night....I like the new attitude I seen, and they look to be in good condition for so early in the season.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

If today was the first day for contact how did they scrimmage yesterday?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

The midnight madness was pretty cool. I really like what I saw as far as the new coach goes. He has a lot of energy going, music to get pumped up, it was a change from what I'm used to. Someone who knows the team better can tell you this for sure, but I believe we were running a 3-4 deffense & I'm not sure about the offense maybe read option ? Anyway I seen a lot of players working hard I like that. It all comes down to the line blocking and playing D. Go Trojans

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

was not impressed. attitude was upbeat but could cover up the fact that they will be average with 2 speedsters that can keep them close if not pull out a win or 2

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I agree very unimpressive. Nobody hitting hard and shying away from tackles. That 3-4 defense I don't think will work here with our personel. We have some speeds about the best I can say from what I saw. Hopping to see something change before valley but I doubt it will.

Is what I've been hearing about a new quarterback coach true? I sure hope not.

Snake
Waterboy

Post by Snake »

Yep, I'm back on after years of being absent. It seems to me that Coach Sparks has the kids excited about the game once again. After watching the Midnight Madness Practice, there seemed to be a level of intensity that has been lacking in the past several years, ie. kids and coaches both. The kids seems more excited about the game and the coaches seemed like they were free to coach their positions with more intensity than we have seen in years past. This should be an exciting year to just see the changes and hope that the Community comes out to Support our kids. I know and am aware of the saying, "No one likes a loser". But in this case they (The Kids need us more than ever". :122245

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I heard that Irontons QB from last year (Tanner Duty) is the new QB Coach at Portsmouth. How is Tanner doing so far, to come right out of high school and step in at a QB Coaching position seems pretty rare.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

The Trojans looked good tonight in the scrimmage against Piketon. Piketon lost 15 seniors I believe from last years team, so they are young but I think the half score (varsity playing) was 34-3. The final ended up being 58-3. Seen some speed & the line looked better. I think we are going in the right direction with the new offense & D. Coach sparks has a very good understanding of the game and I really like what I've seen so far. Regular season starts next Friday as the Trojans welcome Valley into the coliseum. Go Trojans.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

portsmouth_trojan59 wrote:The Trojans looked good tonight in the scrimmage against Piketon. Piketon lost 15 seniors I believe from last years team, so they are young but I think the half score (varsity playing) was 34-3. The final ended up being 58-3. Seen some speed & the line looked better. I think we are going in the right direction with the new offense & D. Coach sparks has a very good understanding of the game and I really like what I've seen so far. Regular season starts next Friday as the Trojans welcome Valley into the coliseum. Go Trojans.
I agree. Portsmouth did look good and moving in the right direction. Piketon is in really bad shape. Didnt see any passion or energy at all from piketon. They looked like they didnt want to be there. Should be an exciting game next week. Cant wait

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I was very impressed by the Trojans and the coaching staff.........Coach Sparks has infused a lot of much needed energy into the program, and there was evidence of it on the field........I haven't seen the Trojans tackle like that for a long time. The hurry-up offense was fun to watch, and effective at the same time. It looks as if there is a nice balance of running and passing.

Of course it was a scrimmage, so I won't get into hyperbole.........but ANYTHING POSITIVE is very welcome for a program starving for ANYTHING POSITIVE. Don't know how the Coach Sparks led Trojans will do in the win column, but I believe that the 2013 PHS footballers are definitely improved and could very well be a headache for a number of opponents.........it's not like the Trojans don't have some talent!!

GO TROJANS!!

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

I really like the no-huddle offense. We seemed at ease with it. Another thing, Dickerson and Robinson have gotten much better over the offseason (speed, footwork, etc). They were really fun to watch.

The energy was definitely there! The kids, fans, and coaches were all pumped the entire 4 quarters. No let-downs whatsoever intensity-wise. Piketon wasn't the best opponent (no offense), but the Trojans looked 10x better fundamentally than they did last year. I saw Coach Crabtree, Rolfe and their Valley gang at the scrimmage. Should be a battle next week!

Return to “Football”