Coaching Changes for 2018

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Coaching Changes for 2018

Post by formerfcfan »

A sincere question is “why do people think Ironton is such a desirable job?” I can understand why it’d be desirable if your an alum of the program, where the Lutz era was of particular impact on your life and you’d want to come back to your roots and give back... but if you were to read the narrative behind even half of the comments about “where Ironton should be back at”, you’d think people were talking about Canton McKinley or Massillon Washington.

I wouldn’t tolerate losing seasons on end if it were my school, but that’s not even what’s being discussed. One losing season on the heels of two straight playoff berths? I’m sure most of the Lawrence County schools, OVC, and southeastern Ohio would love to trade spots with Ironton. I’m sure that years of constant B—’ing and moaning on SEOPS, even during winning seasons, makes prospective coaches think “wow this is a great job we’d step into. Win the conference and still have calls for your head (see: 2016.)”

I hope the Ironton BOE and administration makes the best decision for its student-athletes at the end of the day. I just simply think a good chunk of Ironton posters on here made their own bed on this topic. I think if you coach then you are fair game to be criticized, but the Topix-esque flaming ad infinitum, ad nauseam on a coach that has made the playoffs multiple times in recent years is something that outside coaches are going to heed attention towards.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am A sincere question is “why do people think Ironton is such a desirable job?” I can understand why it’d be desirable if your an alum of the program, where the Lutz era was of particular impact on your life and you’d want to come back to your roots and give back... but if you were to read the narrative behind even half of the comments about “where Ironton should be back at”, you’d think people were talking about Canton McKinley or Massillon Washington.

I wouldn’t tolerate losing seasons on end if it were my school, but that’s not even what’s being discussed. One losing season on the heels of two straight playoff berths? I’m sure most of the Lawrence County schools, OVC, and southeastern Ohio would love to trade spots with Ironton. I’m sure that years of constant B—’ing and moaning on SEOPS, even during winning seasons, makes prospective coaches think “wow this is a great job we’d step into. Win the conference and still have calls for your head (see: 2016.)”

I hope the Ironton BOE and administration makes the best decision for its student-athletes at the end of the day. I just simply think a good chunk of Ironton posters on here made their own bed on this topic. I think if you coach then you are fair game to be criticized, but the Topix-esque flaming ad infinitum, ad nauseam on a coach that has made the playoffs multiple times in recent years is something that outside coaches are going to heed attention towards.
Fantastic post.

I was up a few posts and was about to post something similar. I just don't see where so many Ironton posters feel that the best of the best will be beating down the doors of the Ironton administration to get a shot a taking this program.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Regardless of who is coaching Ironton next year, there are many challenges ahead. Hopefully those challenges will be overcome successfully. Coach Lutz was 0-2 to start the season in 1972 before that team finished 8-0 and began what was then a record 34 consecutive wins in the SEOAL. But players then were different than the many of the current ones. The players of old worked hard and challenged for starting positions. Now it seems players expect to start or they will not play. I don't have first hand knowledge of this but this is what I have heard is an ongoing issue at Ironton these days.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am A sincere question is “why do people think Ironton is such a desirable job?” I can understand why it’d be desirable if your an alum of the program, where the Lutz era was of particular impact on your life and you’d want to come back to your roots and give back... but if you were to read the narrative behind even half of the comments about “where Ironton should be back at”, you’d think people were talking about Canton McKinley or Massillon Washington.

Hammer straight to the head of the nail here. Ironton faithful think that because of their history that they should always be in the state championship. Ironton is not the town it once was, it is riddled with the same problem every river big town has, the lack of jobs and drug use. Ironton is a very old town that does not attract new families to live in. Perhaps it was inevitable a long time ago and no one saw it coming. Even Lutz, would struggle with the transaction of today's Ironton. Vass may not be the right coach but he sure has not been the cause of the downfall.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

First of all I don't see where you see very many Ironton posters on this site anymore. Sure there are a few but not many. Back in 2000 when Matt, Brutus and Jesco started this site they came over to Tristate Preps and ask if I would come and join them. Yes back in 2000. Matt asked me the other day if I would come back and I said I would give it a try. What I see is the same thing as when I left. Same old posts. Ironton folks trying to have a conversation and folks who know absolutely nothing about Ironton trying to tell them what the problem is. 79tiger you are fighting a losing battle. These people won't let you talk about anything they don't want to see. All State at Ironton and played your college ball at Akron. Forgot more than all these yahoos put together and they are trying to tell you what is wrong at Ironton. God help us. I'll tell Matt I tried but his own moderators won't let the thread alone. So much negativity. I can see why he is having problems.

timbo5252
Riding the Bench

Post by timbo5252 »

Hear you tiger bait, football at ironton funds it all or a big part, I haven't been to a game in 3 years, looks like it's going to be 4, I think a lot of coaches would jump at the chance to come to ironton, just seemed to be a mess, hope they can figure something out

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan and Ironton fans are in the same boat these days. With Ironton having won state championships and with their number of runner ups they are at the bottom of the boat. At one time people hated getting beat by these two and now with their programs being down people will run them in the dirt. Most of these team where these people are from haven't been to a play off, yet they feel they can go on and on about what a team needs to get back on track. It might take awhile for Ironton and Logan to get like the good old days and in the meantime we are holding are heads high. With Logan's location they will not have to play these schools anymore, but Ironton will.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

Ironton failed to evolve from an economic and sociological standpoint. Between 05 - 2012 your enrollment decreased by 100 students. Your towns population is at a steady 2% rate of decrease and poverty and opiate addiction are the only things growing. Coaches dont matter, folks. Ironton is in hospice care and there is no going back.

BTWN_THE_LINE
79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I don't think for a second Ironton will return to the halcyon days of the last 30 years of the last century and early on in the current. Ironton isn't the only town to suffer bad economic times in this area although they may have suffered the most. Still, that is no excuse for a once proud football program to become what it has lately. Players and coaches come and go. But once bad attitudes and poor sportsmanship infect a program changes need to be made before it destroys everything in its' path. I still have hope the program can be rescued but highly doubt it will come from within.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

RiverRatRay wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 pm First of all I don't see where you see very many Ironton posters on this site anymore. Sure there are a few but not many. Back in 2000 when Matt, Brutus and Jesco started this site they came over to Tristate Preps and ask if I would come and join them. Yes back in 2000. Matt asked me the other day if I would come back and I said I would give it a try. What I see is the same thing as when I left. Same old posts. Ironton folks trying to have a conversation and folks who know absolutely nothing about Ironton trying to tell them what the problem is. 79tiger you are fighting a losing battle. These people won't let you talk about anything they don't want to see. All State at Ironton and played your college ball at Akron. Forgot more than all these yahoos put together and they are trying to tell you what is wrong at Ironton. God help us. I'll tell Matt I tried but his own moderators won't let the thread alone. So much negativity. I can see why he is having problems.
Obviously your post was directed at me and that is fine. I did nothing but ask a question. Not one thing I said was “won’t let you talk about anything they don’t want to see”. That’s crap.

If asking what makes Ironton such an attractive job is “trying to tell you what is wrong at Ironton”, then you don’t want to have a conversation anyway.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

I would think someone would want the ironton job because of the history and they have athletes on the team they just need someone to energize the program... just my opinion

SOC 1
Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

And there is no talent in Ironton. I get sick of people defending this staff. It is not about wins and losses it is about the whole program. Vass allows kids to do what they want when they want. Never treats all the kids the same and changed the whole offense for one kid. When in fact he might have had the best big running backs Ironton has had in a while. Let's talk about his staff mostly family that has never had to work to get where they are at! Some of them I am not sure they would make good grade school coaches. By the way if you are going to change the offense don't you think you should start at the junior high? No he is not even smart enough to have the JV do it all the time.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

79Tiger wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm I don't think for a second Ironton will return to the halcyon days of the last 30 years of the last century and early on in the current. Ironton isn't the only town to suffer bad economic times in this area although they may have suffered the most. Still, that is no excuse for a once proud football program to become what it has lately. Players and coaches come and go. But once bad attitudes and poor sportsmanship infect a program changes need to be made before it destroys everything in its' path. I still have hope the program can be rescued but highly doubt it will come from within.
wow, some powerful posts on this topic. but I think the culture has been changed at ironton. but like he said you get poor leadership n discipline involved and poor sportsmanship, and lack of ownership involved it is like a cancer. the only way to remove cancer is to cut it out. and treat it. and the only way to solve ironton's problem is hire a hardnose, no-nonsense experienced coach who will not be involved politically and does what lutz did for 40 years turning boys into men. it won't happen any other way.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Game day wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:32 am And there is no talent in Ironton. I get sick of people defending this staff. It is not about wins and losses it is about the whole program. Vass allows kids to do what they want when they want. Never treats all the kids the same and changed the whole offense for one kid. When in fact he might have had the best big running backs Ironton has had in a while. Let's talk about his staff mostly family that has never had to work to get where they are at! Some of them I am not sure they would make good grade school coaches. By the way if you are going to change the offense don't you think you should start at the junior high? No he is not even smart enough to have the JV do it all the time.
Exactly. Ironton has had talent. A couple years ago, Vass had a good team including Palladino and Young, that was completely squandered. A good coach has to not only develop talent but get the most he can out of it. Lutz would have rode those guys deep into the playoffs.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

there are , and I've said it many times. there are the minds to turn this thing around, that have played there at ironton if they absolutely have to insist on staying in house for a coaching change. and I repeat, there are still the horses at ironton without any outside influence by virtue of open enrollment to return this team to prominence. but it has to start from the bottom up. and responsibilities need to flow from the top down and permeate the whole system with wisdom, discipline, self control, accountability. and other aspects to building a solid future for ironton football.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

A great person once said, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." Lets take a look at the program at Ironton.

Once the greatest program in SEO because it was composed of a highly dense population of working class people who expected kids to go to school and do as they were told by the teachers and coaches that worked there. Fast forward to the days following an economic downturn that no longer smiled on the empire that once was the city of Ironton.

As much as Tiger fans want to blame the coach there simply isnt the talent or resources left in that town for them to win in the way they once did. The kids there today lack discipline and the understanding of self sacrifice to a greater cause. Running off yet another coach simply sets the system back into rebuild mode once again. Instead of being whiners and complainers maybe you guys should get behind the coach and help him problem solve ways to make the best of whatever it is that you have.

That ship has sailed. Ironton dominance aint coming back.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Howard Cosell wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 am A great person once said, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." Lets take a look at the program at Ironton.

Once the greatest program in SEO because it was composed of a highly dense population of working class people who expected kids to go to school and do as they were told by the teachers and coaches that worked there. Fast forward to the days following an economic downturn that no longer smiled on the empire that once was the city of Ironton.

As much as Tiger fans want to blame the coach there simply isnt the talent or resources left in that town for them to win in the way they once did. The kids there today lack discipline and the understanding of self sacrifice to a greater cause. Running off yet another coach simply sets the system back into rebuild mode once again. Instead of being whiners and complainers maybe you guys should get behind the coach and help him problem solve ways to make the best of whatever it is that you have.

That ship has sailed. Ironton dominance aint coming back.
If you have attended any games in the last 4 years you could see what everyone is talking about. What coach have they ran off in the last 8 years (None). It is the same stuff every year the excuses have come to end it is time to move on! By the way many people have tried to help this Coach but he continues to hire people that should not be coaching at any level let along high school.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I was told Sparling is stepping down at River Valley. Any truth to this?

RaiderDad
Waterboy

Post by RaiderDad »

BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:19 pm I was told Sparling is stepping down at River Valley. Any truth to this?
Yes it’s true. He has resigned his coaching position to focus on his family. He has three young boys all under the age of 4.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

RaiderDad wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:19 pm I was told Sparling is stepping down at River Valley. Any truth to this?
Yes it’s true. He has resigned his coaching position to focus on his family. He has three young boys all under the age of 4.
Can’t fault a man for that! Good for him.

Return to “Football”