Have OHSAA's efforts with Competitive Balance worked?

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Re: Have OHSAA's efforts with Competitive Balance worked?

Post by Sid Farkus »

Let's not forget, there are other sports that exist besides football. I know volleyball had 7 private schools out of the 16 schools in the state volleyball tournament. It will be interesting to see how many are in boys' and girls' basketball, also.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

CB IS WORKING BUT OF THE SCHOOLS LEFT AS OF NOW (14 PLAYING FOR STATE TITLES) THEY WERE ALSO HELPED BY SPLITTING DI AND ADDING A D7 OVER THE YEARS. TROTWOOD GOING TO DIII AND STUBENVILLE NOW BEING IN DIV DON'T HELP BUT OVERALL I GUESS IT'S WORKING ALTHOUGH SOME SCHOOLS WILL ALWAYS BE "MANIPULATING" THE SYSTEM TO THEIR ADVANTAGE WITHOUT THE POWERS THAT BE FINDING OUT.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 pm CB IS WORKING BUT OF THE SCHOOLS LEFT AS OF NOW (14 PLAYING FOR STATE TITLES) THEY WERE ALSO HELPED BY SPLITTING DI AND ADDING A D7 OVER THE YEARS. TROTWOOD GOING TO DIII AND STUBENVILLE NOW BEING IN DIV DON'T HELP BUT OVERALL I GUESS IT'S WORKING ALTHOUGH SOME SCHOOLS WILL ALWAYS BE "MANIPULATING" THE SYSTEM TO THEIR ADVANTAGE WITHOUT THE POWERS THAT BE FINDING OUT.
Manipulate EMIS and you go to prison.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

My sense is after just one season, and really just a familiarity with one sport in football that is has made a difference. Gut feel says it is better than before. Get through winter and spring sports and see if I still feel same way.

But what are the metrics for whether it "worked" or not? More publics competing? Less public schools complaining to OHSAA? Not sure this is a measurable item, more of a subjective analysis I think.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

doubleplay643 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 am My sense is after just one season, and really just a familiarity with one sport in football that is has made a difference. Gut feel says it is better than before. Get through winter and spring sports and see if I still feel same way.

But what are the metrics for whether it "worked" or not? More publics competing? Less public schools complaining to OHSAA? Not sure this is a measurable item, more of a subjective analysis I think.
You bring up a great point, doubleplay643. I'm not sure what metric(s) the OHSAA has established to determine the effectiveness of CB. I do agree with you, my intuition is telling me that this is more a qualitative metric (feels good), versus an actual quantitative metric. Perhaps they will come up with a data metric that will appease the masses, we will see. That said, finals week, hope everyone enjoys the games!

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....

Return to “Football”