What has happened to Notre Dame Football?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: What has happened to Notre Dame Football?

Post by formerfcfan »

RiverBallFan wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:52 pm i Didn’t start this thread to slam players or coaches. I just know notre dame has always been a football school and wanted to figure out why the decline.
The Russian collusion statement seemed way out of line. I don’t think the statement Refer to was off base. If I’m not wrong they have the
Highest number of players this year than they have had in a long time. That doesn’t mean the talent is there or they could all be young too.
There is something going on to make a program not competitive. Could be nobody’s fault, could be they are just too small to have a football program.
Going back to one of my points...

...they had to eat a lot of injuries to start the year. Nichols kid was already out with his surgery, but two or three weeks in they had four-or-five kids in slings and boots. (Might be an indictment of their strength and conditioning program?)

They’ve played Southern in a good out-of-conference series
and Fayetteville is another series they are pretty competitive in. When Rosecrans fell out of 11-man they had the horrible one-year contract replacement by going four hours one way all the way to play Monroeville, who is akin to a Symmes Valley. So that was a rough 0-2 start. Then they got absolutely steamrolled every single play of the game against Fisher, in a game where at least one of the Notre Dame players never came back to the field. Then for some reason they played Greenup County before Northwest. Like, the schedule did not help matters at all.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Dren2019 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 pm
dirt_cinders wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 pm
Dren2019 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:29 pm sometimes you just need a fresh face to turn around a program. May just be time for a change for both the coach and the players, which may draw more numbers. How long has it been since they won the soc? He’s applied for other jobs so maybe his heart isn’t in it with notre dame.
Sounds like Russian Collusion. You need to give some facts/names otherwise it is just your statement.
Ok...
Sometimes you need a fresh face....fact
How long has it been since they won the soc.... it been a while...fact
He applied for the northwest job....fact

It is My statement....fact
Didn't apply for the Northwest job. To my knowledge.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I only watched them once this year and what stuck out the most was how they were owned up front on both sides of the ball.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Bob Ashley is one of the best coaches in our area. That’s a fact. I’ve had the honor of coaching against his teams several times. They were always well prepared, sound schematically, conditioned and disciplined. If anyone is questioning his acumen, they have a personal axe to grind or other agenda... period.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

This is how it was explained to me about 6-8 years ago. Enrollment is not what it used to be. So bad to the point the arch diocese has considered closing it.
The catholic school in scioto county is Wheelersburg I was told. There are still catholic kids in Notre Dame, but a lot of Shawnee profs kids go there. They used to get some athletic kids from PHS, but not so much anymore. The whole demographic in scioto co has changed.

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

The appropriate question should be, what happened to ND?

For the most part open enrollment is what happened to ND. The county schools offer a quality education and environment, so why pay tuition to send your kid to ND? I have a family member who has two children that are enrolled at burg and he used to pay to send them to ND. I asked him why would he do that when he's a Porter twnship resident, and why would he? The tuition money he'd be paying to ND is now going into an Ohio529 college savings plan. They are at the top of their classes at Burg and are excelling in the top 5% of proficiency testing in the state of Ohio. So why pay tuition?

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

vladimir wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 pm For the most part open enrollment is what happened to ND. The county schools offer a quality education and environment, so why pay tuition to send your kid to ND? I have a family member who has two daughters that are enrolled at burg and he used to pay to send them to ND. I asked him why would he do that when he's a Porter twnship resident. The tuition money he'd be paying to ND is now going into an Ohio529 college savings plan. They are at the top of their classes at Burg and are excelling in the top 5% of proficiency testing in the state of Ohio. So why pay tuition?
Small Catholic schools (like Notre Dame, like Fisher Cath., etc) in rural areas can no longer champion themselves as the gold standard in education and environment. Those schools like ND still offer good education and the environment, but the scarcity of electives / advanced classes plus the mandated four years of religion suggest that the comprehensive Catholic high school model of education through a coursework perspective (ND, FC etc) isn’t sellable to “high flyer” students... tack on the freight of tuition, and parents look at the districts they reside in and see the quality of education to be had (Minford and Wheelersburg both in particular.) The other quick thing is the combination of the decreasing number of young ardent Catholics in the Gen X and millennial age groups (eg the parents of today’s high schoolers), the smaller family sizes in those groups and the economics of tuition in a place where the economy isn’t that good.

For football, it’s simple: how many prospective male students (who might play football) decline at the thought of attending Notre Dame because their football program is not on the same block as “big boys” Burg, Minford, PHS and West?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

vladimir wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 pm The appropriate question should be, what happened to ND?

For the most part open enrollment is what happened to ND. The county schools offer a quality education and environment, so why pay tuition to send your kid to ND? I have a family member who has two children that are enrolled at burg and he used to pay to send them to ND. I asked him why would he do that when he's a Porter twnship resident, and why would he? The tuition money he'd be paying to ND is now going into an Ohio529 college savings plan. They are at the top of their classes at Burg and are excelling in the top 5% of proficiency testing in the state of Ohio. So why pay tuition?
Agreed. Before open enrollment, county kid had a problem with his school and Notre Dame his only option. Now, why pay for tuition if you can transfer and get same education for free elsewhere?

As for this year, ND nonconference schedule was a joke. They were the walking wounded 3 weeks into season. And from looking at their players (I’ve seen them once this year), strength and conditioning definitely an issue. If true about their head coach applying to a conference opponent last offseason, my guess is situation will work itself out soon.*

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:21 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm
That was the year they went undefeated and didn't get scored on. I believe they got beat 3-0 in the playoffs. That's about all I can remember.

Thanks for the info...you can't remember who they lost to?
They lost to Newark Catholic, and it was 1987. Notre Dame’s two best teams was probably in 1967 or 1970, when they had Chuck Ealey.

Do you think either of these teams could've beat the 1987 team?

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

vladimir wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 pm The appropriate question should be, what happened to ND?

My parents and grandparents struggled to pay tuition not primarily because of academics or the almighty dollar. They believed in a Christian school and the faith. It is not a statement against any other school just what they deemed of importance and value to them and their family. Yes, you Can go to church on Sunday and Wednesday evening... They liked that you got it 5 days a week and then on a Saturday or Sunday too.
For enrollment.. Vouchers are having a major impact and will continue. The school is evolving and moving forward. It is up a total of 60 kids this year for the elementary and high school. Throw in a new bishop who strongly supports the school and community. I think we are in a better spot now than in a long time.

sportsfan212
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan212 »

Voucher? I think that is another word for scholarship meaning if your an athlete and want to come to ND we will give you a scholarship or find a way to pay for your tuition. :lol:

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Dren2019 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:55 pm
dirt_cinders wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm
Dren2019 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Ok...
Sometimes you need a fresh face....fact
How long has it been since they won the soc.... it been a while...fact
He applied for the northwest job....fact

It is My statement....fact
I was talking in regards to applying for another job. When did he apply for the Northwest job?
This year. Crabtree got the job. Nobody has an issue with him applying for another job. The question was just if he’s applying for other jobs, is he truly happy or dedicated to ND?
I’ve always been from school of thought that if you applying for a conference opponent’s coaching job, you better be darn sure you get the job. Think that staff would be happy with players trying to fish around considering transfers to other schools?*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bfry wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:35 pm Bob Ashley is one of the best coaches in our area. That’s a fact. I’ve had the honor of coaching against his teams several times. They were always well prepared, sound schematically, conditioned and disciplined. If anyone is questioning his acumen, they have a personal axe to grind or other agenda... period.
Up until about 3-4 years ago I would've completely agreed. He got the most out of what players he had, they were sound and very physical teams. Last couple years this just hasn't been the case, this year players making mistakes, missed tackles poor execution. Just not the same Ashley coaches teams I was used to seeing, quite surprised.

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

sportsfan212 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 am Voucher? I think that is another word for scholarship meaning if your an athlete and want to come to ND we will give you a scholarship or find a way to pay for your tuition. :lol:
Yes. State vouchers for specific situations (autism, intervention, income based and failing school districts) is expanding enrollment. The voucher actually is taking the state funding for that student from their school district and allowing it to follow the student to ND - just like it does when a student switches schools with open enrollemnt.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

The best ND team that I remember was the 2000 team that went 10-0. I think they beat Minford and West that year also and won the SOC. They had some talented kids and made it to the second round of the playoffs if I remember correctly. But that was a long time ago and they have fallen off quite a bit since then.

Dren2019
Waterboy

Post by Dren2019 »

bfry wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:35 pm Bob Ashley is one of the best coaches in our area. That’s a fact. I’ve had the honor of coaching against his teams several times. They were always well prepared, sound schematically, conditioned and disciplined. If anyone is questioning his acumen, they have a personal axe to grind or other agenda... period.
No personal agenda. His won loss column speaks for itself.
It doesn’t really reveal a high acumen.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

BigBlueNation wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm The best Notre Dame team i remember watching was around 1988. They had a running back named Maxi or Maxy....could've been Tim Maxi possibly? They were one of the best teams i watched that year and possibly went 10-0 heading into playoffs. Can anyone give me some info on this team? Did they make playoffs? Who'd they play? Who beat them in playoffs? Did anyone off that team play college ball? What was their biggest win that season? Was this the best team in Notre Dame school history? If not....what is the best team in school history?
That was the year they went undefeated and didn't get scored on. I believe they got beat 3-0 in the playoffs. That's about all I can remember.
Newark Catholic beat them 3-0 at Spartan stadium. NC was going to punt ND called timeout when they came back on field field goal unit was on field. Think it was a 47 yarder and NC won the state that year I believe

14U
S

Post by 14U »

If bob Ashley had the numbers they had back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s he would be fine. ND was less than 18 players on roster. With it being the only catholic school around I figured they could get a lot of the schools in area players and build a team like up north does. Recruit religion now sports, lol. That’s how north teams are so good. Heck even if ND took second team players. It’s not the coach it’s the numbers are down badly by around 30. I remember on saturdays you could find a parking stop or the seats were full from 40 to 30 big crowds now nothing

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

Otto wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:26 am The best ND team that I remember was the 2000 team that went 10-0. I think they beat Minford and West that year also and won the SOC. They had some talented kids and made it to the second round of the playoffs if I remember correctly. But that was a long time ago and they have fallen off quite a bit since then.
How about the Notre dame team of 1980. The one with Tom bowman?

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Dren2019 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:19 am
No personal agenda. His won loss column speaks for itself.
It doesn’t really reveal a high acumen.
If you or anyone else knows, what is Ashley's won/loss record and how many playoff wins does he have? Serious questions.*

Return to “Football”