2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I hear ya Spidey.

Burg looked good in the scrimmage. The offense looks like they haven’t missed a step. The defense has taken a step or two back but are still going to be nasty and even better by years end. Dahm and Horsley are going to be quite the tandem in LB spots.

Oline looks good. After today I think there’s a 50/50 shot week 2. Salyers had some great passes. Mathews is UNREAL. Horsley runs real well.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm I hear ya Spidey.

Burg looked good in the scrimmage. The offense looks like they haven’t missed a step. The defense has taken a step or two back but are still going to be nasty and even better by years end. Dahm and Horsley are going to be quite the tandem in LB spots.

Oline looks good. After today I think there’s a 50/50 shot week 2. Salyers had some great passes. Mathews is UNREAL. Horsley runs real well.
Thought D looked very good. Offense looked good until they got chains out. Burg O did not play well in the 3-4 series using the chains. Burgs going to play a lot of kids. Salyers made some nice throws but missed on a couple. Chillicothe missed a few shots on offense on over throws and dropped passes.

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

Wasn't able tp make it to the scrimmage, how did chillicothe look ?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Ohio1234 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:34 pm Wasn't able tp make it to the scrimmage, how did chillicothe look ?
Early in scrimmage didn’t think they were at the same intensity level as burg. Burg hit a couple big plays on offense, burg seem to control line of scrimmage on both sides of ball. Burgs D got 1-2 turnovers early that might has been tds if plays weren’t blown dead. Chillis first team offense never did much. Did have at least one player running open down field but qb over threw him. Had another one that was open behind burgs D and burg had to grab to prevent the big play. Burg did what they wanted early on offense but I thought the cavs settled in a little later in scrimmage and controlled the line of scrimmage and pressured burgs QB.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

fbnut wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:07 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm I hear ya Spidey.

Thought D looked very good. Offense looked good until they got chains out. Burg O did not play well in the 3-4 series using the chains. Burgs going to play a lot of kids. Salyers made some nice throws but missed on a couple. Chillicothe missed a few shots on offense on over throws and dropped passes.
Yea. The D surprised me. I didn’t think they were going to be as good this year. But I think they have the potential to be better.

Salyers did miss a couple open guys. But overall through pretty well. For the first real action they’ve seen this year I thought they looked very good. Almost every play someone was getting swapped out. So who knows what combination you’re going to see in a couple weeks.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Over/under on Running clocks in Regular season?

I’ll take 8.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:11 pm Over/under on Running clocks in Regular season?

I’ll take 8.
As long as none are on burg I’m cool! Hahaha

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I am extremely excited to see the Mathews kid this year. All I'm hearing is that he has improved exponentially since last year. If so, and if the production follows, it will be an effective compliment to Holden on the outside. Anytime you have multiple kids on the field that are dynamic enough to score from anywhere, it puts an enormous amount of pressure on the defense to be perfect. One mistake and they're gone.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:49 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:11 pm Over/under on Running clocks in Regular season?

I’ll take 8.
As long as none are on burg I’m cool! Hahaha
For sure that. Lmao

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 pm I am extremely excited to see the Mathews kid this year. All I'm hearing is that he has improved exponentially since last year. If so, and if the production follows, it will be an effective compliment to Holden on the outside. Anytime you have multiple kids on the field that are dynamic enough to score from anywhere, it puts an enormous amount of pressure on the defense to be perfect. One mistake and they're gone.
That’s for certain. He is explosive. He will play a huge roll AGAIN this year.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I was at the scrimmage and IMO burgs o-line definitely needs some work and also the secondary on the defensive needs work chilli would have had a few touchdowns if it wasn't for drop passes or bad throws and I do agree that once the chains came out Burg looked not in sync but that will come and also #72 the Richardson kid only played a few plays on the line he looks really good but he seemed to tweek an ankle or something and didn't play the rest of the scrimmage doe anyone have any updates on him? Burg will be fine come week one because last year at this same time our offensive line didn't look good but we all know what happened when the season started!

Burg grad 85
14U
S

Post by 14U »

I’ll take 8.

I wouldn’t be thinking about running clocks but just win games!! Last year was because Burg had a great team and those don’t come around like that team often. Burg lost some leaders on the D and will be ok. Also last years Burg D was the best tackling team I think I’ve seen!! There might not be any running clocks but there will be a lot of wins. This Burg team will be just a little different but will fill the holes they lost from Seniors. I can’t wait to watch them some this year. Good Luck to ur Pirates Jolly Pirate

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I predict 10-0 going into playoffs with maybe 7 running clocks put on opponents. Horsley and Mathews will have breakout years if used correctly. Scary part is, they are only juniors.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Not being arrogant about the 10-0, just have faith these boys will pull out any close games they have in front of them.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg's Oline does need some work but they will get there. They have the size they just need to work on the mechanics.

On Mathews TD catch he got behind the defense so fast no one on Chili's defense knew where he was at.

Horsley is going to be that runner that gets them that tough yard or two when needed and can break away for a big gain at any time.

Clevenger ran the ball hard as well.

They didn't really go to Holden much but we all no what he can do. He did have the one long TD. Caught the ball and then juked two defenders to get into the endzone.

Defense looked good. Very quick to the ball. Like the play of the LB's Dahm and Horsley and the Wilson kid looks like he is going to be a menace at DE. Very fast around the corners. He also ran the ball a few times and ran hard.

10-0 will be tough as they have some big road games this year. Twice to Columbus and then they play both Waverly and West on the road. Looking forward to this season. Should be a great one!!!

Good luck Burg! Had a Burg state champs shirt on out to the fair and had a guy tell me you know Burg has a bullseye on there back this year. I just laughed and said Sir, Burg has had that bullseye for a long time. Some have hit it but more have missed it over the years.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Bullseye??? Seems like that guy doesn’t know his football or isn’t from here!! Being from the tri state area been hearing that bullseye for 40 plus years, lol. Every team wants them and Burg gets everybody’s best. When ur program is like burgs every team plays over their heads. Like u said the bullseye has been thrown at and hit all around but...lol, Good Luck to ur Oirates!!

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Otto wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:17 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 pm There is quite the difference in DIV and DV, but some will never admit to that. Let the season play out and let’s see how it goes.
Oh really? Hartley went from DV to DIV and immediately won two state titles. Against Steubenville no less, the school everyone seems to be in awe of. Hartley never won a state title in DV.
This post aged well, guess that step up in weight class has a learning curve.

Return to “Football”