Logan gets turned away from MSL again. Now what!?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Logan gets turned away from MSL again. Now what!?

Post by noreply66 »

Schools I would say are not affair to play Logan.

Nelson/York
Athens
Teays Valley
Sheridan
Marietta
Jackson
Warren
Parkersburg South
Parkersburg
Canal Winchester

Sheridan, Teays Valley and Jackson are the only schools off of 4L highways but are a easy travel.
Might go a short distance to Warren and NY off of 4L but mostly 4l

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Lots of good points here from formerFCfan, lhsfan97, and paladin.

First - I am not surprised the MSL has turned down Logan and have always felt it was a long shot. It makes sense for two schools: Hamilton Township and Teays Valley. It does not make sense for the rest of that league. When Canal left for the OCC, it made the likelyhood of Logan ever get in remote. When Canal was outgrowing the MSL Buckeye it made SOME sense to look at adding a couple big schools to move HT, TV, and CW out of the MSL Buckeye. Why would Logan Elm, Circleville, Carroll, Amanda, and FU and LU want Logan in their league? What does Logan bring to the table for those schools? Not much.

FWIW formerFCfan - there is a (controversial) movement to expand the biddy basketball into a northern reach away from Southern Ohio.

To lhsfan97 -

You're league make some sense, but I don't see Lancaster, Newark, Canal, and Groveport leaving the OCC. I'll believe that when I see it. If that group decides to leave the OCC, you're plan is viable.

Paladin -
In the near to middle future, the SEOAL is likely to exist and include Logan and Jackson at the very least. You never know how things can change. This league was virtually extinct after the mass exodus of the early 80s (Waverly, Wellston, Meigs, Ironton) until the two Washington County school threw their lot in. We'll see what happens in the future.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:TVC travels a lot better than Logan, Jackson, Gallia, Warren, Marietta, Zanesville, Chillicothe, Ironton, and Portsmouth. The TVC would be stupid to add any schools
I don't see any further discussion from Logan and/or Jackson with respect to the TVC expansion or option. Horse is beat and there is no interest on the TVC end for this option. SOC, MSL, SCOL is pretty much dead for now as well.

The only viable option left is the recruitment of additional schools to the SEOAL in the near future and that is where the effort should be. Jackson/Logan/Warren both need to focus the effort there. It may take several years of networking, shaking hands, kissing babies and politicking to accomplish even the slightest movement to add one school much less two or three but it has to be done. Administrators from each of the remaining SEOAL schools are getting outside the box as I understand and trying some private networking by some individuals to help them in these discussions and that is a good thing, I don't think anything is off the table with respect to recruiting a school or two.

The shot across the bow with respect to travel is just an unneeded jab in my opinion. Ask Wellston what their biggest gate is, and for that matter ask Athens what their biggest gate was so far this year as I am pretty confident it was Logan. Attended that game in The Plains and there was some purple even on the home side as the visitor section was chock full. In basketball Warren travels probably better than almost any school as well. The 3 remaining (after this year) SEOAL teams travel well period end of story no need to even debate that fact.

I imagine as we try and recruit a team or two that in addition to being competitive across most sports that that is our best "argument" that notwithstanding some longer trips we all show up wearing either Red, Blue or Purple.

Assume our efforts are on Marietta, Parkersburg, Point Pleasant, and maybe trying to convince Chillicothe to leave, and it would be nice to get one or two of those...but our focus needs to be courting these schools over a long term because I don't think anything will happen quickly. So if we can stay the course for a couple years I think we can get a school or two.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

I think that Marietta, Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, Point Pleasant, Logan, Jackson, and Warren would make a great league.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

I have read this entire thread and I am now 100% certain of ONE thing!!!!
ItsJohnCena watches "Big Bang Theory" ALOT!!!!!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

The problem with Chillicothe and Point Pleasant specifically is the travel to Washington County (and vice-versa).

I don't think a league can survive going north or west of Logan that includes Washington County.

In a perfect world you'd look at both Parkersburgs and Marietta to go along with the remaining SEOAL three to give you six teams (and 5 league football games).

But I have no idea what PHS or P South's conference situations are.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

doubleplay643 wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:TVC travels a lot better than Logan, Jackson, Gallia, Warren, Marietta, Zanesville, Chillicothe, Ironton, and Portsmouth. The TVC would be stupid to add any schools
I don't see any further discussion from Logan and/or Jackson with respect to the TVC expansion or option. Horse is beat and there is no interest on the TVC end for this option. SOC, MSL, SCOL is pretty much dead for now as well.

The only viable option left is the recruitment of additional schools to the SEOAL in the near future and that is where the effort should be. Jackson/Logan/Warren both need to focus the effort there. It may take several years of networking, shaking hands, kissing babies and politicking to accomplish even the slightest movement to add one school much less two or three but it has to be done. Administrators from each of the remaining SEOAL schools are getting outside the box as I understand and trying some private networking by some individuals to help them in these discussions and that is a good thing, I don't think anything is off the table with respect to recruiting a school or two.

The shot across the bow with respect to travel is just an unneeded jab in my opinion. Ask Wellston what their biggest gate is, and for that matter ask Athens what their biggest gate was so far this year as I am pretty confident it was Logan. Attended that game in The Plains and there was some purple even on the home side as the visitor section was chock full. In basketball Warren travels probably better than almost any school as well. The 3 remaining (after this year) SEOAL teams travel well period end of story no need to even debate that fact.

I imagine as we try and recruit a team or two that in addition to being competitive across most sports that that is our best "argument" that notwithstanding some longer trips we all show up wearing either Red, Blue or Purple.

Assume our efforts are on Marietta, Parkersburg, Point Pleasant, and maybe trying to convince Chillicothe to leave, and it would be nice to get one or two of those...but our focus needs to be courting these schools over a long term because I don't think anything will happen quickly. So if we can stay the course for a couple years I think we can get a school or two.
Very well put, and I would include Parkersburg South too since their shortest trip in the TRAC (John Marshall) is longer than the longest trip in the current SEOAL (Logan) by 35 minutes (30 minutes if Point Pleasant would join the SEOAL) and if you get Marietta, Parkersburg, and Warren in the mix together, I think Parkersburg South would join in a heart beat to significantly cut down on travel. I think the SEOAL could at least send Athens an invite too, but whether they'd take it or not is hard to tell. I think Chillicothe is happy back in the SCOL and probably wouldn't come back to the SEOAL. I'd like to see the SEOAL get back up to 6 teams and would be the best thing. 8 teams would be great, but that might be a long shot at this point. 7 teams wouldn't be too bad either, but that could cause scheduling issues.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

LoganLocos wrote:The problem with Chillicothe and Point Pleasant specifically is the travel to Washington County (and vice-versa).

I don't think a league can survive going north or west of Logan that includes Washington County.

In a perfect world you'd look at both Parkersburgs and Marietta to go along with the remaining SEOAL three to give you six teams (and 5 league football games).

But I have no idea what PHS or P South's conference situations are.
Point Pleasant and Parkersburg tried to leave the MSAC earlier this year and I guess did everything required of them to be allowed to leave and was still denied the right to leave the conference, which is primarily along I-64. Parkersburg South's conference is primarily in Northern WV around Morgantown and Wheeling. Any trip in the SEOAL is at least 35 minutes shorter than a trip in the TRAC. Point Pleasant wouldn't be too bad for Washington/Wood Counties. WV 2 is actually being looked at to be widened to 4-lanes between Parkersburg and Huntington, but it's only long term plans at this point.

greyhoundsbob
Waterboy

Post by greyhoundsbob »

I doubt that Point Pleasant would ever go back to the SEOAL now that Gallia Academy is gone. Once again the best option for the SEOAL would be to get Marietta and Athens back into the league, and then maybe look at trying to add one or maybe both of the Parkersburg schools. An SEOAL that included Logan, Jackson, Warren, Marietta, Athens, and Parkersburg South would be ideal.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Thats my outlook as well. Marietta comes back, Ahtens does the right thing and comes back home and one of the Parkersburg teams comes in. League total of 6 teams. Start from there as the bigger schools need a viable league. Everyone else is too small, too weak, too far.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

doubleplay643 wrote:I don't see any further discussion from Logan and/or Jackson with respect to the TVC expansion or option. Horse is beat and there is no interest on the TVC end for this option. SOC, MSL, SCOL is pretty much dead for now as well.

Athens biggest gates are Alexander and NY. Logan and Zanesville brought about 1/3 Alexander. When Athens lefted, Athens saved over $100,000 dollars.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
doubleplay643 wrote:I don't see any further discussion from Logan and/or Jackson with respect to the TVC expansion or option. Horse is beat and there is no interest on the TVC end for this option. SOC, MSL, SCOL is pretty much dead for now as well.

Athens biggest gates are Alexander and NY. Logan and Zanesville brought about 1/3 Alexander. When Athens lefted, Athens saved over $100,000 dollars. We've been in both leagues so we know the SEOAL doesn't travel well. Not even a debate
Missed my point in your eagerness to prove yours.

I agree the overall benefit to Athens with the current TVC make-up is clearly a benefit gate wise to Athens versus the old SEOAL way. No argument here I understand there is a big advantage to Athens and to the other TVC schools.

I was pointing out that the gate the remaining SEOAL members (Jackson/Warren/Logan) could bring to whoever we can "recruit" (Marietta, Parkersburg, etc.) would be an advantage as well, and simply used the 2015 Logan@Athens and Wellston@Jackson games as example.

Hard to believe Logan wasn't one of your bigger gates this year, that does surprise me quite a bit.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Surprises me as well, doubleplay.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Trenchfoot wrote:Surprises me as well, doubleplay.
Not buying the 1/3 given how much purple was dotted here and there in the home stands, but who am I to argue with RAIDER lol...

Back to the topic at hand. Logan-Jackson-Warren needs to work together (administratively and otherwise) to develop a plan over the next couple years to convince Marietta and most likely a WV school to reconsider the SEOAL. Even if we have to consider scheduling some league basketball/volleyball/soccer math-ups on Fridays and Saturdays to avoid the weekday trips. Need ideas and collaboration between the three schools bottom line.

Amarranavajas
Freshman Team

Post by Amarranavajas »

Seems everyone is afraid of Logan's size. Probably going to have to head north to find a league unless you can maintain what you have.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'm not here to sugar coat it. The seoal is dead. Bringing this up is like beating a dead horse

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I was at the Logan Athens game and the Logan stands were filled to capacity and some standing around the fence, on the other hand the Athens side had plenty of available seating,which is where I was :122245

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The SEOAL is NOT dead. Its smaller but that has happened before. SEO needs a league for the bigger or tougher schools and that is what the SEOAL is . Much of SEO is small schools and minor leagues. However, not ALL.

What I find hilarious is that at one time many WERE bigger than or same size as Logan. Many were in the SAME league as Logan. Many are no longer there and the reasons are few -- don't like competition and don't like to lose. So those folks left. In the decades, Logan was smaller than or weaker than other schools, and yet, no one yelled or ran. Logan stayed. Played and won.

The SEOAL is still here -- Logan, Jackson and Warren. The big boys. Now....................................... move along.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:I'm not here to sugar coat it. The seoal is dead. Bringing this up is like beating a dead horse
Stay off any thread relating to the options of the existing SEOAL teams then kid, not to hard just don't click on the link.

SEOAL with three teams next year will continue in football and the other sports per the information provided under a separate thread. So it will go on until one of the last three leave, so prepare yourself not to read or comment about it.

Beating dead horses sometimes happens...like repeated discussions of successes of 2014 programs by some people during the current 2015 season...#$%^ happens.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Not buying the 1/3 given how much purple was dotted here and there in the home stands, but who am I to argue with RAIDER lol...
Haha Haha-ha oh man this was good.

Logan will figure something out, I'm sure.

Return to “Football”