November 10, 2023 Ironton 14 - 20 Harvest Prep

tigerpride
Waterboy

Re: Ironton v Harvest Prep

Post by tigerpride »

Harvest Prep was good. They handled our offensive line. Quit blaming everyone. They were better that game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

tigerpride wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 am Harvest Prep was good. They handled our offensive line. Quit blaming everyone. They were better that game.
If Ironton had another qtr, they would have won. Turnovers are part of the game. I think Ironton was better than prep in this game, ball just didn't bounce right this time around. Prep had a few explosive plays and that was the difference.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:33 am
Tri_State790 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:34 pm
kantucky wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:44 pm

Heath exposed a weakness on our right side on defense and Harvest Prep picked up on it and exploited it. They either ran behind their left tackle or a sweep to the left.
Ironton gets beat up front.

Kirtland
South Range
Midland
Prep

Got beat up front in each. Other team also made less mistakes and the other team had very simple fundamental game plans they simply executed consistently.

Ironton is most vulnerable in THESE caliber of games up front - but even more so in these games Ironton isn't disciplined enough to win. It's not a position issue. It's discipline and technique overall.
ding ding ding!

coaching loses the big games for Ironton time and time again. It's a tendency now.
Need some guys on staff that are very stringent regarding overall discipline and technique.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:46 am
tigerpride wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 am Harvest Prep was good. They handled our offensive line. Quit blaming everyone. They were better that game.
If Ironton had another qtr, they would have won. Turnovers are part of the game. I think Ironton was better than prep in this game, ball just didn't bounce right this time around. Prep had a few explosive plays and that was the difference.
Midland handled Irontons o line too
So did Heath and Gallia and Portsmouth. .
Midland & Prep had the athletes to capitalize.

Same issues. Discipline and technique.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Burg in 2021 wasn’t anywhere close to Ironton. In the playoff game, along both sides of the line, IHS was far superior. Yet Burg still won the game despite being absolutely dominated along the lines.

IHS fans can continue to blame line play but there’s more to IHS’ problems than simply the line.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:52 pm
Burg in 2021 wasn’t anywhere close to Ironton. In the playoff game, along both sides of the line, IHS was far superior. Yet Burg still won the game despite being absolutely dominated along the lines.

IHS fans can continue to blame line play but there’s more to IHS’ problems than simply the line.
‘21 Burg was true grit and determination

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:59 pm

Agree but irontons play calling in the second half of that game may be the worst I have ever seen

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:01 pm

Agree but irontons play calling in the second half of that game may be the worst I have ever seen
100% agree!!!

And there’s the problem IHS has! The play calling in the 2021 playoff game against Burg was abysmal.

Unfortunately for Ironton, that was not an anomaly. The IHS play calling at the end of the Burg game this year was incredibly bad. Even worse than the ‘21 game.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:15 pm
fbnut wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:01 pm

100% agree!!!

And there’s the problem IHS has! The play calling in the 2021 playoff game against Burg was abysmal.

Unfortunately for Ironton, that was not an anomaly. The IHS play calling at the end of the Burg game this year was incredibly bad. Even worse than the ‘21 game.
Offensive playcalling needs to be changed

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

No Carpenter at QB. And poor playcalling/game management. Burg got a gift for sure.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

Tri_State790 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:14 pm

No Carpenter at QB. And poor playcalling/game management. Burg got a gift for sure.
Who was qb for Ironton that year in week 1? I know Carpenter struggled but what was kids name they put in for him? Seems
Like he played pretty good in that game.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TomUnessa wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:29 pm

Who was qb for Ironton that year in week 1? I know Carpenter struggled but what was kids name they put in for him? Seems
Don’t remember his name, but he played most of the first game against Burg (he entered the game with Burg up 7-0) and the entire second game.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:36 pm

Don’t remember his name, but he played most of the first game against Burg (he entered the game with Burg up 7-0) and the entire second game.
He did. Was he also the same qb when Burg played them in the playoffs or had Ironton rolled with someone else by that time? I can’t remember

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TomUnessa wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:39 pm

He did. Was he also the same qb when Burg played them in the playoffs or had Ironton rolled with someone else by that time? I can’t remember
Same.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:45 pm

Same.
Ok thanks. 👍

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TomUnessa wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:48 pm
RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:45 pm

Same.
Ok thanks. 👍
Article about the playoff game.

In the regular season meeting, Burg scored first and had a 7-0 lead going into the second quarter with Carpenter out. Then Burg came apart like cheap lawn furniture turning the ball over 4x in the second quarter alone; IHS scored 28 points off those turnovers!

In the playoff game, Burg turned it over once but IHS had 5 turnovers, including 3 pics. Burg’s offense was non-existent averaging slightly over 2 yards per carry. Ironton averaged over 5yds per carry but was hellbent on throwing the ball. Only reason Burg was able to pull out the win.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/ ... c902f.html

The Regulator
Riding the Bench

Post by The Regulator »

It's terrible to read some of the comments from the Ironton faithful. Evidently you all have forgotten how bad you were before Pendleton took the program over. I'm not even from Lawrence Co. or a Tiger fan but I do remember how bad the program was and there is no denying that.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

eagle one wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:19 am
FIDO wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:02 pm HP did an excellent job of taking Terry out of the game. It was one of those let someone else beat us if you can.

I still say the Tiger's need to find an identity on offense. There just didn't seem to be a ryhme or reason in play calling. It's easy to play bully ball, being all flashy, against the soft part of your schedule but ya hit a wall against like opponents. Then we get all panicky trying to find a play that works.

Commit to the run. Perfect the fundamentals. Get the big boys firing off the ball and into the flow of the game early and often.

Anyway, I'm sure the smart people will figure it out. Jmo on it all.
should have played thacker at qb
Perhaps, I don't know if there was that much separation between the two, without seeing practice performances and all the other things involved in game preparation.

From everything I've seen over the past few years, the issues run deeper than qb play. Ironton loses when they can't play bully ball or they can't overwhelm teams with just their athleticism. When all things are equal they lose.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I think its funny reading these posts from Ironton. They are doing the same thing as the Harvest Preps of the world by recruiting from all Southern Ohio and Northern Kentucky and even outside these areas.. Basicly they are doing same thing to OVC schools that they claim the Harvest Preps and Wheelersburg are doing to the SOC and the teams HP is playing but they get all up in the air when they cant beat teams with equal or better talent once out of the OVC teams.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

A lot of you are acting as if Ironton gets beat Week 13 every year and as soon as they aren’t playing Coal Grove or Chesapeake they fold. Ironton has won a state semi final game 3 times in 5 years. The teams they beat in those games were regional champs. A lot of schools around here haven’t won 3 playoff games in school history.

A lot of dancing on the grave of a program that had a good season with just a handful of seniors.

Return to “Football”