wtf?

GO TIGERS
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

QUOTE FROM THAT ONE:

Westfall vs. Waverly at Teays Valley
Bishop Ready vs. Johnstown at Newark
These two games are the biggest mistakes that I have seen the OHSAA pull off in years. These are just wrong places for these games and smacks that the OHSAA promised people games and these are the only ones they could put there.
Let's send Waverly, from Pike County north almost THROUGH the Westfall district to Teays Valley. Westfall will travel 20 miles, Waverly 50 miles. Sure, this makes sense.....

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

This game was one of several that the OH$AA blew it today as far as location. Couple more here: DeSales/Canfield @ CANTON!! Shelby/Big 'Nut @ Olentangy, Canal/Monroe @ Dayton Welcome are a few other examples of inexplicable "neutral" sites. And, the higher seed has NOTHING to do with it... DeSales is tops in their region. The OH$AA has become a very wealthy and powerful good ole boy system that takes care of its own politicos and administrators, with little regard to the fans or student athletes at participating schools. Check out the decline in football playoff attendance since 1999 (on their website), yet what is done to remedy that... raise ticket prices, alot in the last 8 years. It is what it is... a monopoly. Regarding the Westfall/Waverly game, the obvious central geographic site would be Chilly. Parking, however, would be a problem there.

Calling it like it is...
G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

CENTRAL LOCATION?
TURF?
SEATING?
What the hell is wrong the OHSAA?
We might as well play it at Hernstien Field at least their is somewhat equal travel involved. Westfall played on the field in Week 1, how is this fair?
This game will be a barn-burner no matter where it is played, we can play on my grandfather's farm for all I care. Waverly hasn't seen speed Like Pick North, 'Burg, Union Local or Wetsfall. With that being said I'll take the Tigers.

Waverly 31
Westfall 26

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Have to give the nod to Westfall in this one.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

waverly 35
westfall 28

Good luck waverly

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Just play the game. If I were Waverly, I would want Westfall's speed on grass rather than turf. The ideal location would have been in Ross County (in between the two schools), but all the facilities are not playoff capable as a lot of them need upgraded.

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

This just seems odd that no one (and I mean no one that waverly fans had spoken to, and I'm guessing probably Westfall fans as well) figured Teays Valley to be a possible location. The only two I heard was jackson or Athens. After seeing 2010's mapquest brilliancy I believe jackson was not a proper location either (although I was originally for that). if you take into consideration the key points the OHSAA should take into consideration, lets anaylize Teays Valley vs. Athens.....

Central Location:
Waverly to Teays Valley: 49 miles and 51 minutes
Westfall to Teays Valley: 18 miles and 26 minutes

Waverly to Athens: 65 miles, 1 hour, 14 minutes
Westfall to Athens: 71.6 miles, 1 hour, 21 minutes

-Although both teams would have to travel farther for it to be at Athens, it seems "centrally Located" would be the best point for Athens-

Seating Capacity:
Teays Valley from what I've heard has gotten a new stadium...mabye someone can help with how it looks, and different things. But i'm guessing it seats approx. 5500 people. And someone has already said the visitors side is not very welcoming....

Athens seats approx 15,000. Now I'm not saying there would be that many people there but you would have a lot more room to seat the folks and it would be a lot more inviting for neutral fans to come and sit wherever they wanted (you know there will be plenty of neutral fans at this game...being the "dream matchup" of southeastern ohio.

Parking
We've already heard from folks that live in Asheville that the parking at Teays Valley is not necessiarily up to par with other venues. And that it is very hard to get out of after the game.

Athens is also very tough to get out of after the game but they have numerous different lots that would be used to park vehicles. And I'm sure would also have more people to work these lots to accomadate anyones needs...

Turf vs. Grass
Well I think this is obvious......Not saying it HAS to be turf because neither teams own turf on their home fields. However, in this day and age it is somewhat of a treat to see highschool games on turf fields and I'm sure both teams....as said earlier, with their speed would most definately rather play on an artificial surface.

With all this being said, no matter where a game is played, someone is not going to be happy about it, and the arguement about Westall already playing on Teays Valley's field just shows that Jackson shouldn't have been a site either because Waverly played their earlier. BUT......just one more reason why Athens seems to be a logical choice for the game.

I'm just so glad that these two teams are finally getting a chance to play each other. For the past two season they have arguably been the best two teams around the area and people have been saying "what would happen if they played?" well now we'll get to find out......

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

Weekly Forecast for Ashville, OH:

Mon Nov 5 PM T-Showers / Wind
High 61°/Low 33° 60% Chance of Rain

Tue Nov 6 Partly Cloudy / Wind
High 48°/Low 31° 20% Chance of Rain

Wed Nov 7 Partly Cloudy
high 49°/Low 28° 20% Chance of Rain

Thu Nov 8 Mostly Cloudy
High 50°/Low 35° 20% Chance of Rain

Fri Nov 9 Partly Cloudy
High 48°/Low 33° 10% Chance of Rain

Sat Nov 10 Mostly Cloudy
High 58°/Low 42° 10% Chance of Rain

tiger2012
Riding the Bench

Post by tiger2012 »

Does anyone have any pictures of teays valleys stadium??

Also does anyone have westfalls stats this year so far???

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Stewy wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:I agree Athens would be the ideal place on mileage and everything, but shouldn't the higher seed(Westfall) get somewhat of an advantage.

I'm not a follower of either team, I'm just throwing out some thoughts.

I posted this on another thread. You said that since Westfall is the higher seed, shouldn't they get an advantage to where they are playing?

Yeah, probably, but just ask Wheelersburg about that. They finished as the top seed a few years and always ended up traveling the farthest. Twice they were the higher seed in the Burg-Vesailles matchups and they played the game in Cincinnati. About an hour drive for them and about a three hour drive for Burg.

I think Versailles is about 2.5 hours north of Cincy. Northwest of Piqua.

I checked it on mapquest. Versailles-1 hour and 39 minutes from Cincy. Wheelesburg-2 hours and 22 minutes from Cincy. Not as bad as I originally thought, but still the Burg was the higher seed and still had the drive the farthest. Seems to be the norm this year after looking at the link above.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

to bad this game isn't played at peden or jackson

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The difference in travel time is not really the main issue. It became an issue because of the very short distance for Westfall and the fact Waverly basically travels past Westfall to get to Teays Valley.
I think some of the other issues are more important:
Seating (especially for Waverly fans being the visiting team)
Field (non turf)
Parking
Westfall played there this year

Is this location not in the county Westfall is in (Pickaway)?

If the OHSAA did not care if one of the teams played at this "neutral site" already the much better site would have been Jackson.
Plenty of seating
Turf
Much better parking

Waverly and southern Ohio got it handed to them by the OHSAA, plain and simple.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I would drive a bus full of players to Teays Valley everyday to practice, if that is what was required to still be in the playoffs! I don't care where we play, Waverly has wanted to play Westfall for 15 years, Let's get ready to rumble!!!!

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Teays Valley's Field

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/2390/cow_pasture.jpg

Put some lines on it and play.

cavalierfan95
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan95 »

im going to put my 2 cents in this.if you want somewhere close look at adena or greenfield there both under an hour to get there.

athens is too far away and jackson is nice but you can do better than jackson.

keep it old school and play at a county school with REAL grass.

thats why i said greenfield or adena.if you dont belive me look it up yourself!

ohsaa dont have a clue what there doing when it comes to pairing up sites
for playoffs

they just want it to be in a big town so more people will make that drive.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

JohnKnight wrote:I would drive a bus full of players to Teays Valley everyday to practice, if that is what was required to still be in the playoffs! I don't care where we play, Waverly has wanted to play Westfall for 15 years, Let's get ready to rumble!!!!

I was thinking nearly the same thing...DO NOT complain about the location!...You could be among the other 97% of the high school teams that ARE NOT playing this week!

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

I don't blame Waverly for being mad. It'd be like this game being played at Piketon. Westfall would be mad and I think while the Waverly fans would be happy with a close game, would understand why Westfall would be mad.

Teays seats about 2000-2500 home and 1000-1250 away.

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

went to the teays valley and amanda game,no wear to set then,parking sucks takes forever to get out. didnt like it at all.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

TV does have a nice complex and a decent amount of parking.

Return to “Football”