NELSONVILLE-YORK / TRIMBLE CONSOLIDATION ?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: NELSONVILLE-YORK / TRIMBLE CONSOLIDATION ?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I don't know if we will ever see the equal school funding that was demanded by the Ohio Supreme Court over a decade ago. I do know that locally, things at Nelsonville-York are MUCH BETTER now then they were when I was growing up. I went through the NY system when the buildings were at their worst. I went to Nelsonville Elementary, or as it was known "up on the hill". The school was literally sliding off its foundation and down the hill at a rate of one inch per year. This building was actually cited as a specific example of school funding inequalities in the school funding case by the Judge who decided this case. I then went to junior high at the old school on Fayette Street for grades 6-8. A few weeks after my 8th grade graduation, the state condemned the school and one of the two buildings was brought up to code that summer to meet the minimum requirements to reopen and it remained in use a few years before the middle school moved to the former Poston Elementary. So my three years there were when the two buildings were in their worst shape ever. The second building on Fayette Street never reopened. By the time I got to high school, I thought I was in a golden palace compared to where I had been before! And now they are getting ready to completely gut that high school and rennovate it.

As far as textbooks go, God knows how old the textbooks were that I had in elementary school. Junior high was a mix of old and new, and most of my high school books were new or not that old. So the textbook situation improved somewhat from the 80's into the early and mid 90s. I don't know what its like now, but I'm assuming it can't be as bad as it was back then.

So while school funding may not be solved just yet, I would say NY is in the best shape it has ever been with all new school buildings, new athletic facilities, etc. Now if they could get equal funding as the Supreme Court of Ohio mandated over a decade ago, NY is set.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I don't know if we will ever see the equal school funding that was demanded by the Ohio Supreme Court over a decade ago. I do know that locally, things at Nelsonville-York are MUCH BETTER now then they were when I was growing up. I went through the NY system when the buildings were at their worst. I went to Nelsonville Elementary, or as it was known "up on the hill". The school was literally sliding off its foundation and down the hill at a rate of one inch per year. This building was actually cited as a specific example of school funding inequalities in the school funding case by the Judge who decided this case. I then went to junior high at the old school on Fayette Street for grades 6-8. A few weeks after my 8th grade graduation, the state condemned the school and one of the two buildings was brought up to code to meet the minimum requirements to reopen and it remained in use a few years before the middle school moved to the former Poston Elementary. So my three years there were when the two buildings were in their worst shape ever. The second building on Fayette Street never reopened. By the time I got to high school, I thought I was in a golden palace compared to where I had been before! And now they are getting ready to completely gut that high school and rennovate it.

So while school funding may not be solved just yet, I would say NY is in the best shape it has ever been with all new school buildings, new athletic facilities, etc. Now if they could get equal funding as the Supreme Court of Ohio mandated over a decade ago, NY is set.

I agree 100%

I think the main problem with school funding is the fact that only a few in the state house want to really try and fix it, but they don't know where to start. A lot of people in Columbus talk big when it comes to school funding but thats all they are willing to do. The Gov. promised to fix it.(Boy he fixed it real good)
I think that if we start calling and sending email every day they may get tired of it and do something.(But then again)
Part of the problem is that the schools with money don't care and no one cares about the schools without money.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

The politicians kids do not go to school in SEO. Nor do the kids of their cronies, or any of the rich fat cats that line the politicians pockets. When someone from SEO does get into office I think they are so overwhelmed when they see the benefits they can get from voting the way of the fat cats, that they forget about us poor folk down here in hicksville. So I would not look for any action to be taken that will actually fix the school funding issues. The funny thing is, when a mandate is passed down to the schools they are actually forced to comply whether they can afford it or not. But the politicians are not being forced to comply with the school funding mandate. Again, the rich fat cats are taking care of them. Every Governor who has been in office since that decision was made should have his arse thrown in jail until he complies IMO.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Well said, Motivator!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:The politicians kids do not go to school in SEO. Nor do the kids of their cronies, or any of the rich fat cats that line the politicians pockets. When someone from SEO does get into office I think they are so overwhelmed when they see the benefits they can get from voting the way of the fat cats, that they forget about us poor folk down here in hicksville. So I would not look for any action to be taken that will actually fix the school funding issues. The funny thing is, when a mandate is passed down to the schools they are actually forced to comply whether they can afford it or not. But the politicians are not being forced to comply with the school funding mandate. Again, the rich fat cats are taking care of them. Every Governor who has been in office since that decision was made should have his arse thrown in jail until he complies IMO.

The state supreme court refused to force the state into a time table because they said that although the current formula is unconstituinal they do not themselves see a better way to fund schools.
They basicly said we are screwed!!!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:The politicians kids do not go to school in SEO. Nor do the kids of their cronies, or any of the rich fat cats that line the politicians pockets. When someone from SEO does get into office I think they are so overwhelmed when they see the benefits they can get from voting the way of the fat cats, that they forget about us poor folk down here in hicksville. So I would not look for any action to be taken that will actually fix the school funding issues. The funny thing is, when a mandate is passed down to the schools they are actually forced to comply whether they can afford it or not. But the politicians are not being forced to comply with the school funding mandate. Again, the rich fat cats are taking care of them. Every Governor who has been in office since that decision was made should have his arse thrown in jail until he complies IMO.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :122249 NICE!

wowhesfast
Freshman Team

Post by wowhesfast »

You nailed it MOTIVATOR. What's sad now (again don't want to get political) we have a governor from the area who won in a landslide in these parts and you know what he's done for us: Zilch, Zero, Nada. Everybody in the world has been screwing Appalachia ever since the big coal people packed up and from the Appalachian Improvement Plan of the 50s and 60s on politicians at every level have been under managing and mismanaging our area.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

wowhesfast wrote:
You nailed it MOTIVATOR. What's sad now (again don't want to get political) we have a governor from the area who won in a landslide in these parts and you know what he's done for us: Zilch, Zero, Nada. Everybody in the world has been screwing Appalachia ever since the big coal people packed up and from the Appalachian Improvement Plan of the 50s and 60s on politicians at every level have been under managing and mismanaging our area.

Strickland has done more for us then most. If he wasn't Governor, the Nelsonville bypass would not have been funded. There is no doubt in my mind about that one.

Things aren't as bad in schools in SEOH as they were before the school funding case was ruled unconstitutional. More money was allotted for new school construction. Many districts in southeastern Ohio have built new schools in the last decade. The funding portion has not been changed yet, but our facilities are by and large much better now then they were a decade ago across the board.

But you are right, we are overlooked because we do not have the votes to change things here. If you make Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, Akron, Canton, Dayton, and Youngstown happy - and the suburbs surrounding those eight cities - a politician really doesn't need the rural Appalachian vote.

Our towns and schools in southeastern Ohio will only continue to shrink in size. A lot of the people I graduated with - including myself - left the area for employment. Regardless of level of education, the one common theme among most of the kids I graduated with is that many of us left. Some of us wanted to leave, but some of us left because we had no choice if we wanted to have a successful career. This is why our towns and schools will continue to shrink in size because so many people are leaving.

And then you have to consider who is left afterwards - you have a small group of people in each community who work hard and support the schools and volunteer for things that improve the community..........but then you also have a large group of deadbeats left over in each community who do nothing to try and improve things. Many of the people who leave southeastern Ohio for employment are the exact type of people southeastern Ohio communities need most - hard working people who care about their community and work to make things better.

So we can build new schools in southeastern Ohio (as we should!), but until their is an economic environment that supports enough employment that doesn't force kids to move away to find success, our communities will continue to decline.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I remember Mrs Sickels telling us that Athens county is the only county without a major 4 lane all the way across the county... glad when the bipass will be done... how is it coming... heard they had run out of money and are stalled?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:I remember Mrs Sickels telling us that Athens county is the only county without a major 4 lane all the way across the county... glad when the bipass will be done... how is it coming... heard they had run out of money and are stalled?

And when the new Baker Center opened at OU in January 2007, it had the first esculator ever in Athens County!

Bypass is now fully funded. Strickland gave $150 million of the economic stimulus money Ohio received to fully fund the Nelsonville bypass.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Is the bypass still a big bone of contention in your parts?
I live in Gallia and travel to Columbus pretty frequently and like to go up 33 because it's a much prettier drive than 23 (depending on where in Cbus I'm headed). Not that I don't enjoy stopping in Nelsonville occasionally, but I'm looking forward to the bypass being completed.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

WitnessProtection wrote:96,
Is the bypass still a big bone of contention in your parts?
I live in Gallia and travel to Columbus pretty frequently and like to go up 33 because it's a much prettier drive than 23 (depending on where in Cbus I'm headed). Not that I don't enjoy stopping in Nelsonville occasionally, but I'm looking forward to the bypass being completed.

Most people are in favor of it. Naturally, there is some concern about the loss of traffic down Canal Street, but the majority support it. The elected officials who were most vocal against the bypass a few years ago were actually voted out of office and the current city council supports it for the most part - with natural concern for the Canal St. businesses.

I'm all in favor of it and think things will be fine because the student population at Hocking College along with the local citizens and tourists should keep business going at those businesses.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

the only way to keep from becoming a ghost town is to grow.

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

The consolidation between the two schools has went on for years here are the facts from the last two years. Nelsonville-York's enrollment about the same boys from 2007-2009 160 and girls 148 the new total for the 2009-2011 seasons are 161 boys and 139 girls so not much change a loss of 8 students, gain 1 boy lose 9 girls. Trimble has a pretty big drop in enrollment 2007-2009 boys 126 girls 134, 2009-2011 boys 112 girls 125, a change of 23, minus 14 boys and minus 9 girls. Now by Ohio Schools Funding program Trimble the poorest school district in ohio lost some funding again this year. Nelsonville-York also lost some funding however Nelsonville-York will have 3 new schools in the next 2 years so you do the math. I have no idea what will happen but seems to add up. What our your conclusions?? Trimble enrollement -23 Nelsonville-York -8

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

we all also have to remember there is nothing to keep ppl in the area. ie. jobs. until some major companies come to the area with a large amount of jobs for ppl. the trend will continue. emrollments will keep shrinking. a bypass will help show companies there is a non-stop link to columbus as far as getting product to the north but, that doesn't mean there going to come.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Watch "The Final Season" on Direct TV Channel 521. It says a lot about consolidation, may not be what some want to hear.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Could you give us the gist of what it says? I don't have Direct TV. Thanks.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Movie is about a final baseball season at Norway High School in Iowa that was being closed in 1991. The movie is based on a true story. I guess where I am coming from is like Sandman-fight to keep what you have. The small community schools are special, very special!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The 33 bypass will do little other than cut down the drive time between Athens and Columbus - which I'm happy for come tournament time. The 33 bypass was supposed to lead to development for Fairfield County and has done little to nothing. The trend is for manufacturing to leave the country, unfortunately.

As for Canal St, I see some of fast food businesses closing up and moving to the new highway.

As for Gov. Strickland, I've been very disappointed about his administration. He seemed to have good ideas when he ran for office, but he himself said if he didn't fix education that he'd be a failure - I don't consider his plan a fix.
Last edited by bman on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I eventually see another wave of consolidation in SE Ohio. Population is dropping, leaving smaller and smaller districts in its wake.

Return to “Football”