Logan gets turned away from MSL again. Now what!?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan gets turned away from MSL again. Now what!?

Post by Raider6309 »

My guess is Logan will have to wait a few years and a league will open up. The licking county league is probably going to expand.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

RAIDER6309 wrote:My guess is Logan will have to wait a few years and a league will open up. The licking county league is probably going to expand.
That's not gnna happen. The LCL doesn't want Logan.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

And for the record....
The Logan game is currently and we be the biggest gate at Athens this season.

The Bullpups have a lot of fair weather fans.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

A few things that play into the misconception of Logan:
1. Travel. Logan is perceived to be on the other side of the earth from anyone from Central Ohio. Last Year Logan played St Charles in hoops; I heard a kid say to his dad "The whole town is here," dad said- "There is nothing else here." Uh right..... I get it I wouldnt want to fight rush hour traffic coming out of COLUMBUS on a Friday night; but alot of the MSL is 35 mins from Logan. The misconception that youre somehow driving an hour from FU or Bloom (25 mins) is crazy.
2. Size. Logan was D1 for years but has dropped to D2 and really could be D3 if the numbers were tweaked with several factors. Only school in county, tech school numbers, etc. We arent St Ignatius. We play FU, Bloom, Amanda CC, Logan Elm, Circleville, and a few others in a lot of sports as it is now, so how is it different coming in as a full member? I dont get that.
3. Success in football for a long time. Football is what drives the car. I feel like the long time success Logan did have in football has some how scared leagues off or the MSL now bc of the dominance that we had for so long and its the focal point in the decision making. Logan as a whole product in other sports is on par with the teams in the MSL and football as well. I think this league is the best overall fit for Logan moving forward and it makes the most sense but alas we are left looking to see whats next?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Orange and Brown wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:My guess is Logan will have to wait a few years and a league will open up. The licking county league is probably going to expand.
That's not gnna happen. The LCL doesn't want Logan.
I'm saying the lcl will be stealing from other leagues. Like teays valley and Hamilton township.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

C-Bolt wrote:I was at the Logan Athens game and the Logan stands were filled to capacity and some standing around the fence, on the other hand the Athens side had plenty of available seating,which is where I was :122245
:122245 :122245 8) 8) 8)

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Does anyone from Logan know the real situation? I know Logan will leave the SEOAL. I've read on other sites there will be a big shake up in Columbus. I haven't looked at the huddle recently tho

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Does anyone from Logan know the real situation? I know Logan will leave the SEOAL. I've read on other sites there will be a big shake up in Columbus. I haven't looked at the huddle recently tho
Even at school the rumors are running wild!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

You have touched on part of it, Logan grad. I came from an era in Logan where we played Lancaster St. Mary ( now Fisher catholic) in sports, Bremen ( now Fairfield Union) in sports and played or scrimmaged Circleville and their league members Hillsboro and Washington C.H. Back then it was AAA, AA and Class A. Many in SEO were AAA. But for a long time, Logan beat up on most. Do you know, we couldn't get a game with Marietta, who was larger? Zanesville, Ironton, Portsmouth and Chilly were ALL bigger and didn't want to play Logan. Decades later, they join the league. But the SEOAL stayed much the same for many while others came and went.

Travel ? My first year coaching at Logan, we had to travel to MARTIN'S FERRY to get a scrimmage. A scrimmage !! Back then, we played Columbus Bexley in the opener , but no other teams from the Columbus area wanted to travel to Logan to play. Even today trips to Loudonville or Shadyside appear on the schedule. Yet , Logan is closer to the state's population base and not out in the boondocks as much of SEO is. But try to schedule bigger Columbus teams and they don't want to drive LESS than an hour.

And what I really find funny is Logan steps up to play DeSales or Watterson and no one, NOONE, wants to play them. :lol:

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I remember Cadiz on the schedule!! And Dayton Dunbar!!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Yep, I remember them good ole days with triple A, double A and single A.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

you do realize OCC schools have to play 9 OCC games. That's why they are hard to schedule. Logan and Athens are both playing bad OCC schools in 2016

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Logan grad wrote:I remember Cadiz on the schedule!! And Dayton Dunbar!!
you are correct grad. we took a$$ kickings from both. i believe we played cadiz on a saturday afternoon.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

"Columbus" Bexley? Are you serious?
RAIDER6309 wrote: I'm saying the lcl will be stealing from other leagues. Like teays valley and Hamilton township.
It'd make no sense for either of those two schools to join the LCL, nor would be the LCL be interested in them for a wide variety of factors!

Right now, the MSL has no plans to incorporate Logan in the immediate future (1-2 years), but truthfully its more about a matter of not being ready to even discuss it. It will take a couple years at best for something to get figured out. At this point, I think there are some in the MSL that would really like to have Logan. However, trying to accommodate for Logan at this point in time would be frankly irresponsible, and I will lay out three reasons why:

1) The Buckeye is the only part of the MSL that is fine as is. For the reasons bman mentioned, it has no reason to change its current set-up at this point in time (doesn't necessarily mean Logan isn't wanted, but its best for the Buckeye schools to be happy with where they are at currently... see points #2 and #3 that follow). It would create more nightmares than fantasies trying to figure out how you add Logan before (or after) you dump off one of the other Buckeye schools. Furthermore, what would trying to accommodate Logan - a school that's never been a part of the MSL - and shifting a school that's been in the league forever (if it goes against their wishes to be a part of the re-alignment in the MSL) to accommodate Logan say about the MSL and what it stands for? Loyalty matters.

2) Two of the few linchpins in the MSL conglomerate are in the Cardinal Division: Berne and Fisher. The Cardinal Division as of right now is not a good deal for either of them, nor is it that great of a deal for Harvest Prep (in the sports that - to put it impolitcally - matter to HP). It's not a great deal because at present, there are only six schools. Now, yes: both BU and FC knew coming in it'd be six teams in the beginning, but the MSL promised them they would actively search for new schools and fill the gaps. It's 2015 and there is no sign of that happening at present. Northridge was on the crest of maybe joining, but some schools in the rest of the MSL screwed that up for them I heard. There is some provisionary talk that one (maybe two) school(s) will ask the MSL to join for the Cardinal in November, but there's a whole new barrel of madness that is starting that needs to be attended to (see #3). It is entirely possible that FC and BU, if push came to shove, would want to align into the Buckeye and some schools would want them.

3) The MSL-Ohio could be replacing a few schools. One is for sure leaving, another has expressed interest in leaving, and a third would logically make sense in leaving too. This is where some dominoes could fall...

So in summary: Logan is on the backburner for the MSL right now. Logan would be a great addition in some respects, but it would do a huge disservice to many MSL schools if the only thing on the MSL's plate was "how do we get Logan in?".

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

I posted the quoted material some time ago in a discussion of Jackson and league possibilities. [Someone mentioned LE and Circleville joining the SCOL, hence the first part of the old post]. I think the same idea basically applies to Logan (at this time at least) and the MSL, though the distance is far more reasonable than Jackson.

Just an FYI, distance from Logan to MSL-Buckeye schools (high school to high school by fastest route according to Google Maps)

Logan to Fairfield Union:28 miles
Logan to Amanda-Clearcreek: 28 miles
Logan to Bloom-Carroll: 31 miles
Logan to Liberty Union: 31 miles
Logan to Logan Elm: 38 miles
Logan to Circleville: 39 miles
Logan to Teays Valley:40 miles
Logan to Hamilton Township: 50 miles

"As stated above, I can't imagine LE or Circleville leaving the MSL-Buckeye to join the SCOL. They seem to be very loyal to the other member schools in the MSL, and have long-standing rivalries with many league schools, especially Teays Valley and Amanda-Clearcreek. Also, the MSL-Buckeye is an ideal travel situation for the schools involved. The longest trip in the league is probably Hamilton Twp. to Fairfield Union, which can't be more than 35 miles. Most league trips are under 20 miles for most schools.

In some earlier discussions on this subject, the MSL has occasionally been mentioned as a remote possibility for a new home for Jackson. From Jackson's perspective, the MSL-Buckeye (the other two divisions of the MSL would make no sense) would be a better alternative even than the SCOL. Just mapquesting the distance between the High Schools, it looks like this:
Jackson to Logan Elm: 49 miles
Jackson to Circleville: 50 miles
Jackson to Amanda-Clearcreek: 57 miles
Jackson to Teays Valley: 60 miles
Jackson to Fairfield Union: 61 miles
Jackson to Hamilton Twp.: 69 miles
Jackson to Bloom Carroll: 71 miles
Jackson to Liberty Union: 75 miles
And most of the travel would be on decent roads (23 especially).

Size-wise and competition-wise, it would be a pretty good fit for both parties. Speaking as a fan of the schools in the MSL, Jackson would be a great addition for these reasons.

The problem is that from the MSL-Buckeye member's perspectives, adding Jackson wouldn't make much sense. As I mentioned, the travel is ideal currently, and adding an outlier an hour or more away would be problematic. That said, there is a decent chance that the MSL will lose a member soon if Mount Vernon leaves the OCC (which seems fairly likely). The OCC would probably poach a large school from a nearby smaller school conference to fill their spot, with Teays Valley and Hamilton Twp. being reasonable targets. If that happened, the MSL-B would certainly fill the vacancy, but there are many closer targets than Jackson [maybe a school from the MSL-Ohio, or one of the northern SVC schools if they could be gotten (Westfall or Zane Trace, who already play half of the league members in virtually every sport anyway), or even Logan]. I would think adding Jackson would be a last resort move if none of the alternatives panned out, and I couldn't imagine it lasting very long if it did happen."

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

1987chieftains wrote:
Logan grad wrote:I remember Cadiz on the schedule!! And Dayton Dunbar!!
you are correct grad. we took a$$ kickings from both. i believe we played cadiz on a saturday afternoon.
Yep remember it well,only day games I can remember Logan having in the modern era,the year before the team bus didn't get back to Logan until about midnight after wallowing around in mud all afternoon.Cadiz was pretty darn tough those years and Dunbar was no slouch either having some players go to big schools.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

RAIDER6309 wrote:you do realize OCC schools have to play 9 OCC games. That's why they are hard to schedule. Logan and Athens are both playing bad OCC schools in 2016
Raider -

Again, your facts are largely incorrect.

I LIVE in Hilliard. OCC schools play 7 conference games. That means that weeks 1-3 they can schedule how they like.

Now, many OCC schools play against other OCC division teams - for instance, Davidson plays old rivals Grove City and also Darby (and this year for the first time Bradley) in their non-league schedule.

But, for instance, Darby played both Clayton Northmont (Dayton) and Springfield in two of their three non-league games.

So OCC schools have openings in weeks 1-3 (Logan plays Dublin Jerome to open next season). They do not have opening weeks 4-10 as those are league games. BUT, with Mt Vernon leaving they are going to have to shake up the divisions again.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Vinton County is NOT going anywhere. While it is fun to speculate, and there are certain groups within the county that would rather have Logan as opposed to Jackson, Vinton County is not leaving the TVC nor is it sending invitations to ex-SEOAL schools. PERIOD. If Vinton County was WANTING or COULD go, they would love for it to be the SVC. The SVC has schools in similar size, similar athletes, and historical programs. Furthermore, the SVC gives Vinton County the best means of travel. The longest trip may Vinton County to Westfall, which is not much different has Vinton County to Meigs. However, there is a reason why the SVC has been successful, they don't expand or change just because it is trendy.

SEOAL got what it deserved. It became a grandiose, narcissistic, behemoth that could not see past their reflection in the mirror.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

LoganLocos wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:you do realize OCC schools have to play 9 OCC games. That's why they are hard to schedule. Logan and Athens are both playing bad OCC schools in 2016
Raider -

Again, your facts are largely incorrect.

I LIVE in Hilliard. OCC schools play 7 conference games. That means that weeks 1-3 they can schedule how they like.

Now, many OCC schools play against other OCC division teams - for instance, Davidson plays old rivals Grove City and also Darby (and this year for the first time Bradley) in their non-league schedule.

But, for instance, Darby played both Clayton Northmont (Dayton) and Springfield in two of their three non-league games.

So OCC schools have openings in weeks 1-3 (Logan plays Dublin Jerome to open next season). They do not have opening weeks 4-10 as those are league games. BUT, with Mt Vernon leaving they are going to have to shake up the divisions again.
90% of them seem to play 7 league, 2 cross over, and 1 non league. I'm saying some of them would die to play an easier game with Athens and Logan. Logan must forget Athens played 4 good OCC schools and Desales in basketball and they came to Athens about 10 years ago. Wasn't the brightest decision at Athens

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Vinton County is NOT going anywhere. While it is fun to speculate, and there are certain groups within the county that would rather have Logan as opposed to Jackson, Vinton County is not leaving the TVC nor is it sending invitations to ex-SEOAL schools. PERIOD. If Vinton County was WANTING or COULD go, they would love for it to be the SVC. The SVC has schools in similar size, similar athletes, and historical programs. Furthermore, the SVC gives Vinton County the best means of travel. The longest trip may Vinton County to Westfall, which is not much different has Vinton County to Meigs. However, there is a reason why the SVC has been successful, they don't expand or change just because it is trendy.

SEOAL got what it deserved. It became a grandiose, narcissistic, behemoth that could not see past their reflection in the mirror.

WOW :122246 Over dramatic much?!?!? :lol:

Return to “Football”