Waverly 37 Unioto 7

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly 37 Unioto 7

Post by smurray »

Sports-nut wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:01 am All purpose yards would be 150 with his 40yd punt return
Ok, cool

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

This was a close game until the 4th quarter. I am impressed with Carroll. Reminds me of the back from Portsmouth. If Unioto doesn't turn it over so much it would have been a really close game. However, Unioto is a little too 1 dimensional. Waverly's ability to run and pass was the difference in the game. I don't understand why Waverly doesn't attempt more field goals with a great kicker like Diener. Going for it on 4th and goal from the 13 doesn't make sense to me when you have a kicker with 50+ yard range. Great win for the Tigers.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

The Flush wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 am This was a close game until the 4th quarter. I am impressed with Carroll. Reminds me of the back from Portsmouth. If Unioto doesn't turn it over so much it would have been a really close game. However, Unioto is a little too 1 dimensional. Waverly's ability to run and pass was the difference in the game. I don't understand why Waverly doesn't attempt more field goals with a great kicker like Diener. Going for it on 4th and goal from the 13 doesn't make sense to me when you have a kicker with 50+ yard range. Great win for the Tigers.
That's what confused me in a close game like that Diener hit a 31 yarder, that's from the 14. Waverly could get 3 points every time they get in the red zone practically and in a close game like that last night for most of it 3 points is a lot. I could see them using him more into the season

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
toast
All State

Post by toast »

The Flush wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 am This was a close game until the 4th quarter. I am impressed with Carroll. Reminds me of the back from Portsmouth. If Unioto doesn't turn it over so much it would have been a really close game. However, Unioto is a little too 1 dimensional. Waverly's ability to run and pass was the difference in the game. I don't understand why Waverly doesn't attempt more field goals with a great kicker like Diener. Going for it on 4th and goal from the 13 doesn't make sense to me when you have a kicker with 50+ yard range. Great win for the Tigers.
Diener has a strong leg and is accurate. Sure glad we have him. I think Waverly made the correct decision to go for it on 4th and 13 and here's why. If I'm correct we were up by 10 points at the time. If we make the FG we're up by 13 points which really doesn't change much. Being up by 10 points is a two score lead. Going up by 13 is still only a two score lead and you can still get beat by two TDs. And if we don't make it it leaves Unioto with a long field in front of them.

This was a hard fought win! Nothing easy about it. Unioto has a big strong O-Line and a strong fast back. A game like this will help Waverly in the long run. Some of our youngsters made big contributions last night. Couple of freshman had huge games. Several sophomores playing both sides of the ball. Good leadership from our juniors and seniors. I like the direction of this team.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Waverly also passed on a FG attempt in the 1st quarter. Combined with the one in the 4th quarter they left 6 points on the board. If they get the 3 points in the 1st, it is a 13 point game when they have 4th and 13 in the 4th. That would make it an easier decision to attempt the kick to go up by 16. 4th and 13 is tough no matter who you are playing.

Ultimately it didn't matter because they go the interception after losing the ball on downs in the 4th and scored quickly to help seal the game.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Diener is a very nice athlete to have on the football field and will definitely get many more opportunities. Tigers did pass on a couple opportunities to use his services but I’m sure the coaching staff liked the chances of picking up the first down. I think maybe on turf its a tougher decision. At least the coaching staff knows they a special kicker who will only get better.

I agree whole heartedly with toast’s last paragraph and also love the direction of this program......

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Imo team speed of waverly had nothing to do with this game. They had a great back so did we they had 280 or so yards we had 250 or so. If they were just so much faster or better athletes you would see it in the numbers. Bottom line is we made a lot of mental mistakes and we turned the ball over a lot. They won the special teams game as I was worried about. They won the field position game as well. There ability to throw was good but didn’t really hurt us at all. They were well coached and they didn’t hurt themselves we gave them so many opportunities and as good as they are on offense you can’t do that. When scaggs went down we had no one that could tackle 10 and he gashed us bad. Hope he isn’t done for the year. Waverly has a nice team not as good as they were last year definitely not as good as 2 years ago. As a waverly fan I would be happy with the win and how well they played but I would be very concerned with there run defense. With the schedule they play they will face several teams that can run better than us and won’t fumble the ball away. For the tanks the next game is very big. We should go 9-1 and beat everyone even with all of our issues because we will have better players. But we could also lay an egg in any game and get beat by any team we play. If we don’t get better from here and fix our problems it will likely be another trip to the playoffs and another beat down. We are a very young team so hopefully we improve but if we don’t fix ourselves we will never beat a good team. Since I’ve lived in Chillicothe over these past few years the only quality win we had was against piketon two years ago. We either win on talent or get blown out. Good luck to the tigers hope 1 is ok he is a good player, keep your heads up tanks no let downs.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Waverly,when all is said and done should get a boat load of computer points from this win.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:05 pm Waverly,when all is said and done should get a boat load of computer points from this win.
Waverly is first in region 16 after three weeks. Hopefully Unioto wins out to give us even more points.
But, the Tigers have some tougher games coming up: Fairland next week, at Valley wont be easy, and then Wheelersburg and West coming to town.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Rolltanks wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:51 pm Imo team speed of waverly had nothing to do with this game. They had a great back so did we they had 280 or so yards we had 250 or so. If they were just so much faster or better athletes you would see it in the numbers. Bottom line is we made a lot of mental mistakes and we turned the ball over a lot. They won the special teams game as I was worried about. They won the field position game as well. There ability to throw was good but didn’t really hurt us at all. They were well coached and they didn’t hurt themselves we gave them so many opportunities and as good as they are on offense you can’t do that. When scaggs went down we had no one that could tackle 10 and he gashed us bad. Hope he isn’t done for the year. Waverly has a nice team not as good as they were last year definitely not as good as 2 years ago. As a waverly fan I would be happy with the win and how well they played but I would be very concerned with there run defense. With the schedule they play they will face several teams that can run better than us and won’t fumble the ball away. For the tanks the next game is very big. We should go 9-1 and beat everyone even with all of our issues because we will have better players. But we could also lay an egg in any game and get beat by any team we play. If we don’t get better from here and fix our problems it will likely be another trip to the playoffs and another beat down. We are a very young team so hopefully we improve but if we don’t fix ourselves we will never beat a good team. Since I’ve lived in Chillicothe over these past few years the only quality win we had was against piketon two years ago. We either win on talent or get blown out. Good luck to the tigers hope 1 is ok he is a good player, keep your heads up tanks no let downs.
Kind of a strange way to start your thoughts, Waverly's team speed had nothing to do with this game. So if the Tigers were a slow team then they still win this game 37-7??? I say this because it has absolutely everything to do with the game as a whole, back breaks a run he gets caught, holes close faster, you have to account for every WR/RB not just key on one. Your coach was on 94.3 during his interview talking about the overall team speed of Waverly and how it is hard to practice for and prepare as they are faster than film shows. He did reiterate the special teams and tackling, but that goes back to tackling a faster shiftier player. Said tanks were able to move the ball on the ground just can't make the mistakes against a team like Waverly, said after half they were outplayed and outcoached. The broadcaster said well you shouldn't play anyone who's that fast the rest of the year, coach laughed and said, "I hope not". I do think tanks finish 9-1, 8-2 with a loss coming to PV possibly but you'll get a playoff birth also moving into region 15 will really help the tanks out and they'll have a real shot at hosting in week 11. Good Luck on the rest of the season for both teams

Return to “Football”