Gallia Academy(8) @ (14)Meigs

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Re: WK1 Gallia Academy @ Meigs

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

svac83 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:41 pm Meigs 14 Gallia academy 8. Final score. Congratulations to meigs to fight through the injuiers and coming up with a winning game plan. After them.. IT is a strange situation almost Like the injuries benefitted the offense. And the blue Devils could not adjust.

Now I am going to comment on the officiating I am not going to talk about any calls because if I set on the other side I may have seen them different..

But had some of these officials never worked together as a group or what. That might of been some of the worst Reffing mechanics I have ever seen. Takes you 7 minutes to decide intentional grounding is a loss of down? Roughing the kicker is a 10 yard penny and automatic 1st down? I thought 15 or 5..

How do you let a coach come out on field with no timeouts and talk and get in refs face for that long.. and on and on.

One final comment. I understand he didn't mean to but your PA announcer yelling in the middle of pass player turn around to your player... how do you act like that didn't happen.. NO Oops or nothing..

Hope the injured boys ok. Think both these teams will be OK. Proud of my Blue Devils efforts.
Let's not forget the offensive push-off in the end zone on the winning touchdown. However, Blue Devil defense folded in pass defense on final drive.
Also, refs allowed Bartrum to call intentional grounding on first incident, but later in game exact same thing happens and no call? Pretty wild stuff.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

My thing is I think if starters stay in. Meigs makes adjustments but Gallia would of made adjustments to the adjustments. Meigs still may of won but the truth is we will never have any idea.

Also Gallia academy's offensive game plan changed for a while because weren't really afraid of big plays out of meigs offense goes especially end of 2q. Then they made adjustments to that and then meigs added a couple of new twists and allowed them to come up with big plays.

Look don't say Gallia defense folded on last series of game. Nothing further from truth. If meigs starters would of stayed in last drive would of ended much different. But you got like 3 minutes to go in gameyou have meigs trapped back at there own 13. Third string QB. You rush 3 cover 8. That is definitely right call. Meigs had kids make plays. Now if starters would of been in blue Devils would of had more respect and of mixed it up some to add pressure the more experienced player and if the guy gets open deep you lose. But with a 3rd string kid in you do that.. people would of called for Penrod's head..

Looki didn't talk about any calls in that game but I think all sides would agree that game is horrible offiated. So I don't know how that would of changed outcome.

But Gallia should of never been in a last possession ball game. Now once again different things would of changed outcome. Blue Devils should of had 7 points on the fumble in end zone. Gallia had another set of downs where they were sort of rolling have a 3rd and like 2 and the blue Devils open a huge whole but as the defensive player gets driven out of play the offensive lineman of blue devil falls as he falls his legs are in and trips the back coming through that would of probably been a first and goal or another points instead it is a fourth and 1 blue Devils called for I don't know what pre snap now it is 4 and 6 and you turn it over on downs. Or the other TD Gallia had called back.. blue had every opportunity to win. But sometimes after being so bad for a while you have to learn how to close out games and win. But great effort blue devils

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Secondary folded.

Stone Cold
JV Team

Post by Stone Cold »

So is meigs that bad or is gallia that good? I can't make heads or tails of these rambling posts!? It kind of sounds like meigs was better but got outcoached?

And that's the bottom line, b/c Stone Cold said so....
doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Stone Cold wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:00 am So is meigs that bad or is gallia that good? I can't make heads or tails of these rambling posts!? It kind of sounds like meigs was better but got outcoached?
Total outsider perspective, went to this game since Jackson plays tonight and had a feeling Gallia would be competitive and this would be a good game. Both svac and tvc fan are right in many respects.

FWIW here are my takes in no particular order.

First of all really hope Helton and Mattox aren't out long, they are really good players hate to see injuries for any team. It definitely affected Meigs approach and they finally settled on running a wildcat with a couple different players (Cox and Bartrum?) taking direct snaps and then bringing in their I assume 3rd string QB to throw in passing situations. Both styles were effective at times and ultimately Meigs scored on a final last minute drive throwing the ball down the field.

This is one of those games that the one team who I thought was the better team most of the night ended up losing. It happens I suppose, but thought GA was better over all most of the night except when it counted. No way of predicting how losing the two players would have differed that. GA had some missed opportunities to say the least. First of which was in their first series driving immediately down the field after the completely inexplicable failed fake punt by Meigs on their first series. GA drives 30-40 yards to goal line and then has an unfortunate turnover. Should have scored and took advantage of the failed fake punt attempt which again is simply confounding to me lol, but hey I guess you should attempt it when everyone least expects it, and I doubt anyone was expecting it.

Give Meigs credit it seems like they went through every option with respect to trying different offensive plans and finally landed on a couple that worked. Fact is they figured it out, lost two key players, and kept theirselves within striking difference and pulled off an improbable win despite all of that.

Not going to comment on the officiating it is what it is, I saw some things differently and there definitely was pushing and shoving on both sides on the final TD in the Gallia field side corner of the end zone where we were at, offensive interference could have been called no doubt, but Meigs kid made a great play on ball.

Meigs HC definitely inserts himself in the game lol and some of it is excessive, but at end of day the crew has to decide how much of that they are willing to listen to or take. Last night in several cases it seemed a little over the top.

And finally yes the Meigs PA announcer bless his soul did say over the speakers on a pass play (during the play lol) "turn around turn around" as the ball approached the receiver/defender. Incomplete so no harm no foul I guess but I always thought that was a 15yd personal foul against the home team if it occurred during the execution of the play.

So, bottom line Gallia is definitely on right track and better if you think HC Penrod won't have the Blue Devils in the thick of things this year or very soon you are mistaken.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:51 am
svac83 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:41 pm Meigs 14 Gallia academy 8. Final score. Congratulations to meigs to fight through the injuiers and coming up with a winning game plan. After them.. IT is a strange situation almost Like the injuries benefitted the offense. And the blue Devils could not adjust.

Now I am going to comment on the officiating I am not going to talk about any calls because if I set on the other side I may have seen them different..

But had some of these officials never worked together as a group or what. That might of been some of the worst Reffing mechanics I have ever seen. Takes you 7 minutes to decide intentional grounding is a loss of down? Roughing the kicker is a 10 yard penny and automatic 1st down? I thought 15 or 5..

How do you let a coach come out on field with no timeouts and talk and get in refs face for that long.. and on and on.

One final comment. I understand he didn't mean to but your PA announcer yelling in the middle of pass player turn around to your player... how do you act like that didn't happen.. NO Oops or nothing..

Hope the injured boys ok. Think both these teams will be OK. Proud of my Blue Devils efforts.
Let's not forget the offensive push-off in the end zone on the winning touchdown. However, Blue Devil defense folded in pass defense on final drive.
Also, refs allowed Bartrum to call intentional grounding on first incident, but later in game exact same thing happens and no call? Pretty wild stuff.
I will say you are not wrong on this. The flag for holding on the touchdown that was called back was as late as I've ever seen.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:53 am Secondary folded.
I understand this is just a opinion and I respect but disagree with you. There were like zero yards after catch at end of game. The meigs players made plays. And I do believe one of the catches that made the come back possible was incomplete compared to the rest of the calls all night. On the play pulling stripped catch and kid regained control on ground. But that is not way ref sees it. When you only rush 3 drop 8 your QB has all day. They made great throws and catches I tip my hats to meigs.

Blue Devils will learn how to finish games but when you are like 9-31 over last 4 years. Your not in a lot of games that are tight. Last night valueable lesson on way back. Every play counts.

I haven't mentioned it in any other post yet but blue Devils have a kid that is a great football player that played a huge roll on defense. And will win games for them on offense just had way to many dropped balls last night.

Stone Cold
JV Team

Post by Stone Cold »

doubleplay643 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 am
Stone Cold wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:00 am So is meigs that bad or is gallia that good? I can't make heads or tails of these rambling posts!? It kind of sounds like meigs was better but got outcoached?
Total outsider perspective, went to this game since Jackson plays tonight and had a feeling Gallia would be competitive and this would be a good game. Both svac and tvc fan are right in many respects.

FWIW here are my takes in no particular order.

First of all really hope Helton and Mattox aren't out long, they are really good players hate to see injuries for any team. It definitely affected Meigs approach and they finally settled on running a wildcat with a couple different players (Cox and Bartrum?) taking direct snaps and then bringing in their I assume 3rd string QB to throw in passing situations. Both styles were effective at times and ultimately Meigs scored on a final last minute drive throwing the ball down the field.

This is one of those games that the one team who I thought was the better team most of the night ended up losing. It happens I suppose, but thought GA was better over all most of the night except when it counted. No way of predicting how losing the two players would have differed that. GA had some missed opportunities to say the least. First of which was in their first series driving immediately down the field after the completely inexplicable failed fake punt by Meigs on their first series. GA drives 30-40 yards to goal line and then has an unfortunate turnover. Should have scored and took advantage of the failed fake punt attempt which again is simply confounding to me lol, but hey I guess you should attempt it when everyone least expects it, and I doubt anyone was expecting it.

Give Meigs credit it seems like they went through every option with respect to trying different offensive plans and finally landed on a couple that worked. Fact is they figured it out, lost two key players, and kept theirselves within striking difference and pulled off an improbable win despite all of that.

Not going to comment on the officiating it is what it is, I saw some things differently and there definitely was pushing and shoving on both sides on the final TD in the Gallia field side corner of the end zone where we were at, offensive interference could have been called no doubt, but Meigs kid made a great play on ball.

Meigs HC definitely inserts himself in the game lol and some of it is excessive, but at end of day the crew has to decide how much of that they are willing to listen to or take. Last night in several cases it seemed a little over the top.

And finally yes the Meigs PA announcer bless his soul did say over the speakers on a pass play (during the play lol) "turn around turn around" as the ball approached the receiver/defender. Incomplete so no harm no foul I guess but I always thought that was a 15yd personal foul against the home team if it occurred during the execution of the play.

So, bottom line Gallia is definitely on right track and better if you think HC Penrod won't have the Blue Devils in the thick of things this year or very soon you are mistaken.
Good post. Anyway you look at it, sounds like it was a heck of a game. Hopefully the injured kids heal up and get back out there soon!!

And that's the bottom line, b/c Stone Cold said so....
george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:17 am

I will say you are not wrong on this. The flag for holding on the touchdown that was called back was as late as I've ever seen.

I was sitting in front of the flag It was on the ground when the runner was just pass the line of scrimmage And Meigs was charge with a time out when the coach went on the field and went on and on

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

george wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:10 pm

I was sitting in front of the flag It was on the ground when the runner was just pass the line of scrimmage And Meigs was charge with a time out when the coach went on the field and went on and on
Ok George. Maybe I am wrong and just missed it. I was looking for one after he broke it and didn't see anything on the field, but I could have just missed it. Others around me did too. Regardless, several other things were inconsistent with officiating, that is for sure. I don't doubt you on the charges timeout because I thought that they should have had one more toward the end of the game. However, at what point is it a flag? It was more than one occasion. I've seen coaches get away in the past, but usually not a coach with a .500 coaching record. Not a jab, just the truth. I do think the Meigs coaching staff did a magnificent job closing out that game. Credit to Coach Willford as well for making all the right calls at the end of the game. Just throw it under and let your athletes make plays. That was the only thing they could do and it worked.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Gallia Academy(8) @ (14)Meigs

Post by mattash »

Stats?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:19 pm
george wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Ok George. Maybe I am wrong and just missed it. I was looking for one after he broke it and didn't see anything on the field, but I could have just missed it. Others around me did too. Regardless, several other things were inconsistent with officiating, that is for sure. I don't doubt you on the charges timeout because I thought that they should have had one more toward the end of the game. However, at what point is it a flag? It was more than one occasion. I've seen coaches get away in the past, but usually not a coach with a .500 coaching record. Not a jab, just the truth. I do think the Meigs coaching staff did a magnificent job closing out that game. Credit to Coach Willford as well for making all the right calls at the end of the game. Just throw it under and let your athletes make plays. That was the only thing they could do and it worked.
I agree the officiating was bad The holding flag was on the sideline next to Meigs' bench I couldn't see if the receiver push off on the last T D but I thought he push off on the first one

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Agree at least one could have definitely been, but he was just doing everything he could to make a play.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

As far as officiating goes and penalties. I am sure there were bad calls on both sides of ball. I can handle that. The flag on touchdown way on backside was down before the kid got way down field from my angle i seen it drop as play developed but it was still late. both the defensive player and offensive player involved were probably already to center of field before that happened but the kid had not broke away yet. i have no idea if was a good call or not.

My biggest problem was they seemed like they had never worked together before. and that really bogged the game down and broke the rhythm of game up to where no one could get in the flow of things. that was my biggest concern the second was the way they let the meigs coach on the field so much. And that also slowed down flow of game. And Gallia Academy had players all the way back on track. To keep from being penalized after the first time they were penalized for it.

My next biggest problem would of been the back judge on visitors side of field. Blue devils had at least 2 calls and i think 3 thrown in front of ref that looked like they were caught but touched the ground. When coach said but he maintained possession. The Ref said i dont know when i see a ball touch ground and lose sight of ball i always call them incomplete. And if anyone else had a better angle they can over rule me. On the last drive when there was close play and the gallia kid tried to strip it as he rolled and tried to control the ball it definitely hit the ground. I THINK IT WAS A CATCH let me add. but the coach ran to same official and he said the ball hit the ground and the official said yes i saw it but it was not my call. My problem was why did he not say incomplete and let someone else overrule him then. Like i said i thought kid just made great play. I also believe the other 2 were great catches.

As far as last drive and game plan i don't give meigs coaching a great jiob there with strategy. I will say they understand Coach Penrod's defense and look besides a couple bubble screens and the 2 touchdowns every pass almost entire game was on hashes. Same defense for several years. Blue devils play it great. But the seems in that zone and the weak points is a receiver straight down the hashes is right in seems of the responsibility of coverage and that is what meigs ran. those throws there entire game if you can pitch and catch.

None of that is why Blue Devils lost. Blue devils lost because on a bunch of plays throughout game they did not execute and stalled out drives. If they execute on even 50% of those easy plays. they probably have 3 or 4 more scoring drives. And then the game is not in doubt at end.

No matter what in the end no one gave the game to meigs they came and took it. And i congratulate them on the win and the Blue devils will learn from this and move forward.

But everyone should realize this is not Blue devils of last few years. This team is going to play you for 4 quarters and be prepared and be physical.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

tvc_fan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 pm Update on injured players Zach Helton out with a broken collar bone

Christian Mattox out with possible MCL Damage

Both will be seen on Monday to see where it goes from there.

Great comeback Meigs!!! Still gonna be a tough year.

I will give Gallia credit, they were very well prepared and physical. However without the injuries I think our Offense would have got going. We was also missing starting center and guard.
Hate to hear about the injuries! Rough start in that regards after a tough last year.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Any team that can pass will give the Devils problems.... can't rush 3 guys and have defensive backs playing in a state of of confusion. .. can't understand why gallia didn't at least call a timeout or two and try to get the defense backs on the same page on the last drive....

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

This has been a nice respectful thread and discussion between rivals. Kind of refreshing.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

superblue wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:44 am Any team that can pass will give the Devils problems.... can't rush 3 guys and have defensive backs playing in a state of of confusion. .. can't understand why gallia didn't at least call a timeout or two and try to get the defense backs on the same page on the last drive....
I must of had a bad angle superblue because I did not see the defensive backs in big confusion but you see it even in pros under 3 minutes to go you can get open down the middle and receivers almost always get open when you only rush 3.

And for most of game they had very little luck throwing.

I am sure there were mistakes in defensive backfield. But I think the people that see that last drive the way you do should be questioning the defensive play calling in the drive not the players. Which I think questioning it is fine. If they would of been against number 1 or 2 QB and played same way. I would of thought horrible play calling. But against a 3rd string sophomore. They dared him to make me plays and the kid did it.. I just tip my hat to them. Now if they would of been wide open I would agree.. but that was not the case. But you know we are all have different perspectives and I respect yours

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Maybe confusion was not the correct word to use, but when a team scores 2 tds on basically running the same play over and over, something needs to change... I didn't intend to point a finger at our defensive backfield and blame them. I am not a big fan of the prevent defense. It usually prevents you from winning, just ask a browns fan about that...lol here is my take on there winning drive, yes the qb is a sophomore with limited experience, once they crossed the 50 I would have thought our coaches would have started blitzing some people and trying to rattle the young man's cage. Then they drove inside the twenty, with no t.o. we have 2 time outs left, why not call one? What are we saving them for? Get the players a little break and come up with something different? Overall we looked like a much improved team from last year, a wise coach once told me the biggest improvements come between week one and week two. .. just continue your hard work and the victories will come..... at the end of the year I still believe we will look back and wonder how we lost this game... time to move on....

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I agree 100%.

Return to “Football”