2018 Ironton Head football coach

Game day
All State

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by Game day »

rxburgfan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:46 pm Tic toc goes the clock on off season conditioning. How much commitment is there with coach up on the air?
There has not been any with him there !

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Gone Country wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm
Urban wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 am To further my thought Lutz had the total respect of everyone involved. Everyone bought in. That hasn't happened since. Even the year Triplett was there they turned on him immediately because he wasn’t Bob Lutz. Vass never had a chance because of the same. If Ironton doesn't hire a coach with previous success to fall back on, they'll turn on them too.

To win everyone has to buy in. The community, the coaches, the players. When the kids go home and the parents say the coach sucks who do they believe?
The situation would be totally different for Pendleton or Triplett or anyone else in that they will not be following the most successful coach in Ohio history much less Ironton. Whomever is hired will follow a regime that has lost the respect of the players, the community and even his own coaches and support staff. With the right decision made for a replacement, with the correct mind set and confidence reinstilled in the players, the Ironton program is a short jump to success. The players and parents telling the coaches what position or which side of the ball they're going to play on is unheard of but a reality in the last few years of Ironton football. The Burgites don't have all the answers for Ironton or anyone else nor do they have a magical well they dip into for players that is available only to them. What they do have is a coach that demands the respect and discipline necessary to make kids willing to change positions and even change schools to get in on their current success.
Very well said!

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

When you have long time assistant coaches saying goodbye it is time for a change. I respect what the staff tried to do but they have failed.

I remember when Coach Lutz was hired after one coach decided not to come to Ironton. A young man with the desire to change the face of the Tigers. The previous year Ironton went 9 and 1 and beat the top rated Tomcats on their home field. Finishing co champions in the tough SEOAL. No one wanted to see coach Bruney leave but it happened and the rest is history. Coach Lutz brought a mix of old and young coaches on board. The same could be said for the coach that takes over the current Tigers. We need a young coach that will bring excitement back in the kids. Someone who will bring a mix of old and young coaches and desire to put the “Fight” back in the Fighting Tigers!

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I agree coach knows. I note how many on here claim the players like Vass. It is not enough to like a coach. A coach needs to be respected. I played for Coach Lutz and I respected him more than I liked him. He wasn't there to be my friend. He believed in discipline and if you were not up to the task, regardless of how good you were, you did not play. It will take another such coach with a similar approach to turn around this program. Leadership comes from the top. Players do not tell coachees what they are willing to do. Players need to be told what they will do or else. Get with the program or get out.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Getting Older
Riding the Bench

Post by Getting Older »

How much longer will the board or whoever is doing interviews decide what their going to do in hiring someone

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

79Tiger wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:10 am I agree coach knows. I note how many on here claim the players like Vass. It is not enough to like a coach. A coach needs to be respected. I played for Coach Lutz and I respected him more than I liked him. He wasn't there to be my friend. He believed in discipline and if you were not up to the task, regardless of how good you were, you did not play. It will take another such coach with a similar approach to turn around this program. Leadership comes from the top. Players do not tell coachees what they are willing to do. Players need to be told what they will do or else. Get with the program or get out.
that's a very good true post.
he told you too. ''if you're good enough to play'' ------------you will. he didn't play around or play politics.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Ricky Bobby
Waterboy

Post by Ricky Bobby »

Has anyone heard if Spring Valley (WV) head coach Brad Dingess has applied or interviewed for the job? Had one person tell me he did apply but unsure if theres any validity to it.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Urban wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:50 am Simple. Biggest problem with Ironton is they are split. Half the people want 1950s Lutz ball and the other half wants new age ball. Those guys aren't gonna agree with what Pendleton would want to do because they too are old school. The game has changed, change with it or be left behind.

This is why Ironton needs to hire an established coach whose schemes are proven with a track record.
Somebody needs to send this message to Hartley. 😂. You obviously don’t watch much HS football. Eastwood ran the wing t and made it to the finals.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am
Urban wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:50 am Simple. Biggest problem with Ironton is they are split. Half the people want 1950s Lutz ball and the other half wants new age ball. Those guys aren't gonna agree with what Pendleton would want to do because they too are old school. The game has changed, change with it or be left behind.

This is why Ironton needs to hire an established coach whose schemes are proven with a track record.
Somebody needs to send this message to Hartley. 😂. You obviously don’t watch much HS football. Eastwood ran the wing t and made it to the finals.
Clinton Massie runs the wishbone, and has won a couple state champions. Kirkland runs the basic Power I Set, and has won multiple state championships this decade. I can assure you it's not the offense.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

OVC wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Clinton Massie runs the wishbone, and has won a couple state champions. Kirkland runs the basic Power I Set, and has won multiple state championships this decade. I can assure you it's not the offense.
Good points teams still run the ball most more than 70 percent of the time.

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

When you have the biggest and baddest.... you can do that.

I don’t think Ironton has the talent pool or recruiting capability to do that on a state level. They do have that capability locally for the most part, but there are a couple schools that can hold their own in a fist-fight, so to speak.

Truth be told, there has been quite a few playoff losses where Ironton was the more physically talented team, but was limited by the scheme. I know the old-timers won’t want to hear that, but that’s the truth.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it is absolutely true. ironton would likely have 2 maybe 3 more state titles had me had a more diverse offense. but then again how many teams have 2, and have been to 8 or 9.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

the game in 99 against Sandusky perkins got yanked from us, after a successful forth and 1 run.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 pm the game in 99 against Sandusky perkins got yanked from us, after a successful forth and 1 run.
I honestly believe they would have won that game if they had punted instead. It was a poor spot by the refs though, no doubt about it.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

I watch plenty. As was said the reason Ironton doesn't have more State Titles is lack of a passing game or at least the threat of a passing game. Your right Eastwood made it there and couldn't pass. It's why they lost also

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Urban wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I watch plenty. As was said the reason Ironton doesn't have more State Titles is lack of a passing game or at least the threat of a passing game. Your right Eastwood made it there and couldn't pass. It's why they lost also
Seriously dude? Eastwood could pass. They passed very well in the state game but they didn’t need too because they were very good at defense and running the ball. They lost because of the spectacular play of burgs QB and a fortunate fumble. East wood was extremely talented and coached well. I agree Ironton was one dimensional and needs to learn more offense but it’s not what’s making them lose games.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

DEFENSE, we get picked apart due to not being able to defend the pass.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 pm
Urban wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Seriously dude? Eastwood could pass. They passed very well in the state game but they didn’t need too because they were very good at defense and running the ball. They lost because of the spectacular play of burgs QB and a fortunate fumble. East wood was extremely talented and coached well. I agree Ironton was one dimensional and needs to learn more offense but it’s not what’s making them lose games.
Hilliard Davidson won 2 D1 titles and threw for a total of 20 yds combined in those 2 games
Last edited by fbnut on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 pm DEFENSE, we get picked apart due to not being able to defend the pass.
Whether it be scheme or athletes or both this is a true statement

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

If you think basic, physical offensive schemes limit the ability to beat top notch talented teams, I must vehemently disagree. If you think every team needs to run a "modern" or "diverse" scheme to win, you watch too much TV and probably haven't tried to implement one without the pieces. A good coach assesses his players and tries to put them in favorable position to be competitive...period.

Return to “Football”