Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

transplant
SE

Re: WK1 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

Post by transplant »

To say this group of seniors is 40-2and have 3+ seasons under their belt is kind of misleading. I get that they have been a part of the past seasons that have won and put in their time at practice and all that. But how many of the seniors have played significant roles in those wins? are some of these seniors just now getting major varsity minutes? Not taking anything away from the accomplishments, its great, but with the size of classes burg has had lately, a lot of kids don't even see the field til their junior or even senior year. Not that they aren't good enough, just the upper classmen are better.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

transplant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:20 am To say this group of seniors is 40-2and have 3+ seasons under their belt is kind of misleading. I get that they have been a part of the past seasons that have won and put in their time at practice and all that. But how many of the seniors have played significant roles in those wins? are some of these seniors just now getting major varsity minutes? Not taking anything away from the accomplishments, its great, but with the size of classes burg has had lately, a lot of kids don't even see the field til their junior or even senior year. Not that they aren't good enough, just the upper classmen are better.
Idk how it’s misleading. You basically explained it all to yourself without knowing, I guess. These are the kids running practice squad against State Champs, Regional Champs and deep playoff run teams. Do you think they sleep at practice? They play top notch athletes everyday. That’s why we say Burg reloads instead of Burg rebuilds.

footballelite
Riding the Bench

Post by footballelite »

I am very curious of something I have heard. A buddy of mine has a kid on Wheelersburg football team. He told me that the burg coaches video every practice and the kids receive grades every day on what they did wrong, what they did correct or what kind of effort they put forward.

A. is this true ? lol
B. if so, is it what every school does now?
c. if so, who has that kind of time? lol

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

the original post said they have pretty much played 40+ games in 3 years. I get it that some of them have practiced against top notch athletes over the past few years. And that they reload and not rebuild. If im not mistaken, I thought freshman only dressed for home games and very few if any got to play? I might be wrong. Look, im not taking anything away from the kids at all. And def not saying they sleep at practice. The burg has a good system right now with a lot of kids. I understand they reload and don't rebuild, but some of these kids just don't have the "game experience" as portrayed, that's all I was trying to say. Practicing against top notch athletes is different than playing under the lights.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

transplant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:20 am To say this group of seniors is 40-2and have 3+ seasons under their belt is kind of misleading. I get that they have been a part of the past seasons that have won and put in their time at practice and all that. But how many of the seniors have played significant roles in those wins? are some of these seniors just now getting major varsity minutes? Not taking anything away from the accomplishments, its great, but with the size of classes burg has had lately, a lot of kids don't even see the field til their junior or even senior year. Not that they aren't good enough, just the upper classmen are better.
I would say around 80% of these seniors saw a lot of varsity action. Keep in mind there were several games that were decided early, and some that did not see much starting action still saw significant playing time. Even with that returning both the all-Ohio QB and D5 player of the year is why people are talking this group up.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I agree Jolly. A lot of times Wheelersburg practices look so sloppy with the offenses and defenses struggling more than in games. A lot of practices are much more competitive because of the talent on second and third teams. I honestly think multiple times throughout the season, Wheelersburg practices are where the kids get better rather than that weeks game.

Yes, Wheelersburg films and analyzes each practice as if it were a game. This ensures that each player is maximizing each rep and doing it correctly rather than falling through the cracks. If you slack, you will be exposed. Film doesn't lie.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

footballelite wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am I am very curious of something I have heard. A buddy of mine has a kid on Wheelersburg football team. He told me that the burg coaches video every practice and the kids receive grades every day on what they did wrong, what they did correct or what kind of effort they put forward.

A. is this true ? lol
A. Yes
B. Yes
C. Coaches

Side Note: Burg has filmed practices for over 20 years now. Coaches can't have eyes on every play at every snap.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:49 am
footballelite wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am I am very curious of something I have heard. A buddy of mine has a kid on Wheelersburg football team. He told me that the burg coaches video every practice and the kids receive grades every day on what they did wrong, what they did correct or what kind of effort they put forward.

A. is this true ? lol
A. Yes
B. Yes
C. Coaches

Side Note: Burg has filmed practices for over 20 years now. Coaches can't have eyes on every play at every snap.
Every team has injured players that can’t practice, put them to work let them video. See everyone always asks why burg is so successful. This kind of stuff is why. Then when you tell them you get that kind of response a lot “who has the time. You have a camera on you at practice at all times your not going to slack off because you don’t want to be called out in front of everyone

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

transplant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:47 am the original post said they have pretty much played 40+ games in 3 years. I get it that some of them have practiced against top notch athletes over the past few years. And that they reload and not rebuild. If im not mistaken, I thought freshman only dressed for home games and very few if any got to play? I might be wrong. Look, im not taking anything away from the kids at all. And def not saying they sleep at practice. The burg has a good system right now with a lot of kids. I understand they reload and don't rebuild, but some of these kids just don't have the "game experience" as portrayed, that's all I was trying to say. Practicing against top notch athletes is different than playing under the lights.
The burgs has a lot of running clocks the last 3 years. These kids have time playing under the lights on Friday nights.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

OK, I get it, I missed the point on this one. My mistake, let's move on. Good luck to both teams, get out of this game healthy and have a good season.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

transplant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:47 am the original post said they have pretty much played 40+ games in 3 years. I get it that some of them have practiced against top notch athletes over the past few years. And that they reload and not rebuild. If im not mistaken, I thought freshman only dressed for home games and very few if any got to play? I might be wrong. Look, im not taking anything away from the kids at all. And def not saying they sleep at practice. The burg has a good system right now with a lot of kids. I understand they reload and don't rebuild, but some of these kids just don't have the "game experience" as portrayed, that's all I was trying to say. Practicing against top notch athletes is different than playing under the lights.
I see where you’re trying to go. When Burg goes out and puts a running clock on someone. Who do you think gets reps? Juniors and sophomores who don’t start. They do get out under the lights and they do produce on the field. They are having their jitters removed early on in HS. The Freshman maybe not so much. You will see them every so often. But as they move up they see more time on the field. By the time they are Seniors, it’s not new to them.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Right, I agree with that, that happens at most schools around here. That's how kids get experience. And yes, by doing this, the hope is to remove any jitters players might have.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:07 am this game will not make or break the progress of ironton this year. everyone wants to see them moving in the right direction, and possibly getting more wins, coaching efforts and mainly getting more players out to build a better, bigger program.
I agree. Although I think ironton is hindering themselves with the size of the ovc. Won’t hurt this season but if they want to get back to a championship caliber team they need a beefier schedule.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:45 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:07 am this game will not make or break the progress of ironton this year. everyone wants to see them moving in the right direction, and possibly getting more wins, coaching efforts and mainly getting more players out to build a better, bigger program.
I agree. Although I think ironton is hindering themselves with the size of the ovc. Won’t hurt this season but if they want to get back to a championship caliber team they need a beefier schedule.
But one must take baby steps along the way. Win the OVC back to back and then start beefing up non conference. They would basically be in the same position Burg is in. TBH

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

You know I don't really know that much about either one of these schools other than the fact that the Burg has overall been so much better than Ironton for quite sometime. I also think that this will continue. What I would hope that doesn't happen is what happened between Jackson and Wellston. If one schools fans and parents become so discouraged and the games so one sided, that they would stop playing each other. I hope that I am wrong and that it will not reach that point.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 pm You know I don't really know that much about either one of these schools other than the fact that the Burg has overall been so much better than Ironton for quite sometime. I also think that this will continue. What I would hope that doesn't happen is what happened between Jackson and Wellston. If one schools fans and parents become so discouraged and the games so one sided, that they would stop playing each other. I hope that I am wrong and that it will not reach that point.
That happened between burg and Portsmouth a couple years back.

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

New to this site, but I have to wonder: with the amount of posts regarding Wheelersburg sports, do people have lives other than that? Pirates big at home.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

This game will be closer than the last few years BUT in the end it will be "The Burg"

The Burg 42

ironton 21
:mrgreen:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I was piddlin around the other day and saw some state final games from last year. I came across the burg/eastwood game and recorded it. I have watched the first 3 quarters so far. that was such a fundamentally sound game by 2 unbeaten teams. the form tackling, lateral pursuit , and blocking were just very sound factors of the game. 63 and 10 from wheelersburg were everywhere. 63 is a great bull rusher. and 10 is one of the most fundamentally sound tacklers out there. burg was dominated in the 1st half field position wise by the eagles. and didn't get their 1st--1st down until nearly halfway though the 2nd quarter. and burg had the field flipped on them the whole 1st half position wise. but were able to keep the eagles away from the endzone all but once. then burg got going. it was a really great state final to watch last winter. and looking forward to watching the rest of it. I'm really excited about this game and the season starting. ready to see a new era of tiger football begin.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I just saw on a facebook post that burg has 114 boys out this year on their team. that's nuts for a d5 school.

in an unrelated story =========== BREAKING NEWS. 5 OTHER SCIOTO COUNTY SCHOOLS HAVE TO CLOSE THEIR FOOTBALL PROGRAMS BECAUSE OF NOT ENOUGH PLAYERS OUT FOR THEIR OWN TEAMS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “Football”