TVC Game of the Week Meigs vs Belpre

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Hardfowl wrote:It was reported that Meigs had 42 points on the board in the third quarter. Is this true? The half-time score was 28-0. I have never seen a Mike Chancey coached team ever run up the score. I have seen them take a knee early in the 4th quarter before and take a knee on the 1 yard line several times. Let me know when Meigs scored their last points.

Congrats to Meigs as they played up to their potential tonight. Just too many weapons.

English broke a long run for a TD early in the 4th quarter and put them up 42-6 the starters were still in with 2:20 seconds left and they took a Knee at that time on about the 25 yard line or so

Fan-o-Southern
Varsity

Post by Fan-o-Southern »

How many yards did "Corndog" have? I was at the game, and wondered off and on, if Meigs was really that good, how did they loose 4 games?! Not criticizing mind you, but wondering how that happened. :shock:

Perhaps tonight was a special game as the pressure was off.

hardfowl
All State

Post by hardfowl »

Eaglepapaw,

Just how did Meigs score all those points? Belpre shut out VC and hold NY to 6. Both teams have potent offenses. How does a team playing for an outright title and with the defensive numbers they have put up all year give up 42 points?

Congrats to NY and Belpre for their co-championships.

tornadobacker
Waterboy

Post by tornadobacker »

BelEagle79 wrote:Congrats to the Meigs PLAYERS... you came to play and beat Belpre. English is a great running back and QB Story threw it great tonight.

But I have no respect for the Meigs coaches for leaving most your starters in the whole game... even when up by 30 with just few minutes to go. Belpre threw in the towel and had what was basically a freshmen team in there on both sides. Lot of class there Meigs coaches.

Belpre you had a great season... no one thought you could do it.. Co-TVC Champs !!!

Meigs did leave in the seniors up to the whistle. that is the way you should do it. THey definately did not try to run up the score. Englishes speed was what ran up the score on that last score. 3rd and 14 and Meigs ran instead of passed. English just broke it for a 76 yard td. That is not running up the score. THey took a knee on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down at the end. I would not complain about that.

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

Thank You Marauders :!:

You seldom get a second chance in life, but thanks to Meigs, N-Y got one tonight.

Congratulations to Belpre on an outstanding season and a Co-Championship. (I know they would have liked to win it outright, but I am sure if someone would have told the Belpre faithful at the beginnig of the season that they would be Co-Champs, they would have taken it)

Congratulations to Meigs and all their Seniors :!: They were a very talented team and I am sure they had higher asperations on the season, but they finished on high note.

Fan-o-Southern
Varsity

Post by Fan-o-Southern »

Just heard C. English had 305 yards total!!! :shock:

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

Just saw the high-lights on Gridiron Glory. English ran wild and Story really threw the ball well when they had to.

Congratulations to them and the other Seniors.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Like you guys I too watched the highlights on GG. Wow, Story and English both looked awesome. These two rank right up there among the best QB and RB Meigs has ever had.

Through 8 games Cornelius had rushed for 1421 yards and Story had passed for 1058. Not too shabby!

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

Meigs definately had some very impressive offensive weapons this year.

I wondered how the Belpre defense would handle the Meigs offense and it looks like they kind of struggled.

Obviously Story's hand wasn't bothering him too much because GG said he went 5-6 passing and English ran like a beast.

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

English looked like freakin Barry Sanders out there tonight...Belpre simply wasnt wrapping up though...they would come in high and put a shoulder or helmet on him...but that obviously wasnt doing the trick. Also...Belpre allowed Meigs to convert too many 3rd and longs early in the game...keeping eventual TD drives alive.

IN TRESSEL WE TRUST
JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

I still just cannot believe Meigs only won 6 ballgames. Maybe it's just me but when a team with that much talent barely finishes over .500, there's gotta be a problem somewhere.

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

Let me say something about Cornelius English. Originally I thought he was just a very finesse runner....... Wrong :!:

NY was extremely physical with him and he was physical right back.

He is a complete running back and has had a wonderful season for the Marauders.

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Anyone know if Corndog will be playing in college? What about Story? The only Marauder that I know of for sure that has been entertaining college offers is Cassidy Willford, but surely there are schools looking at English and Story.

winsandlosses
Riding the Bench

Post by winsandlosses »

BelEagle79 wrote:Congrats to the Meigs PLAYERS... you came to play and beat Belpre. English is a great running back and QB Story threw it great tonight.

But I have no respect for the Meigs coaches for leaving most your starters in the whole game... even when up by 30 with just few minutes to go. Belpre threw in the towel and had what was basically a freshmen team in there on both sides. Lot of class there Meigs coaches.

Belpre you had a great season... no one thought you could do it.. Co-TVC Champs !!!

Meigs had the ball deep in Belpre territory late in the game. It was something around 3:20 left when Meigs started taking a knee because I remember thinking we cannot run this much time off. Sure enough BHS got the ball back. If you want to accuse Meigs of no class, do so because they are trying to pass into the endzone, trying to score on a trick play, trying anything to continue to score points. But not when our Seniors are out there taking a knee. I thought contrary to what you said our Coaches showed alot of class. I can assure you if Mike Chancey is quoted in our local paper, he will say something good and positive about Belpre. Belpre had a great season and the Meigs faithful will be watching and pulling for you should you make the playoffs. Congrats on your TVC title.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

First, congrats to the Meigs coaches and players on a well played game. Meigs just had to much English on the ball tonight. From what I saw from him is what a coach dreams about getting from his runners. He hit the holes. When there wasn't a hole, he made one. When he was getting tackled, his legs were still moving and when he was about to get hit, he hit back. One of the best running performances that I have every witnessed out of a TVC running back, even better then Roush burning Belpre several years back.

Second, a big thank you to coach Shriver and his Belpre Golden Eagles! Who would have thought the season turning out the way it did. Curt was named coach 2 weeks before practice and was behind the 8 ball from day one.

I know it is disappointing to lose against Meigs and not get into the playoffs, but what a great season that it was. A fine 7-3 record when I thought if we win 2, that would be good, all things considered.

Congrats to Belpre on their first TVC title in football since 1988. Alot of pride was restored back into the program this season. Hopefully, we will have enough boys out next year to field a JV team. Belpre finished the year with 21 dressed players. Thanks to all the boys for their efforts. Thanks to the seniors and their hard work the past 4 years.

Great season Belpre!!!

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

I am an outsider in this discussion and all I can tell you is that I have never seen anything but CLASS out of Coach Chauncey and his staff.

His dad was a class coach, and he is a class coach.

I really don't see him as the type of guy to run up the score. It is the last game for the Seniors, and their is an expectation that they might play more snaps than usual.

I can understand your frustration but I think you need to look at Chauncey as a class guy who wanted to let his Seniors end their careers on the field.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I agree.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Mister B wrote: Meigs just had to much English on the ball tonight.

Curt was named coach 2 weeks before practice and was behind the 8 ball from day one.

!

You must be a pool player or watching too much late nite ESPN. :lol:

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

buckfan84...

Chris Breman has to get his material from somewhere.... ;-)

Plus, a game of snooker now and then is a good thing.
Last edited by mister b on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Good one!! Congrats on your title tonight.

Return to “Football”