Playoffs:D4 #6 Union Local (9-1) @ #3 Waverly (9-1)

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

What is the rule on a kick-off that travels out of bounds?

I think you can either back them up 10 yds and re-kick or take the ball at your own 40.....

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

take the ball 25 yards from where the ball was kicked or 5 yard penalty and rekick!.

Rule 6-1-8

3 options

1. 5 yard penalty and rekick
2. Take the ball at the spot 25 yards from previous spot(kick off spot)
3. Take the ball where it goes out of bounds.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

4th and goal,
Burg for one thing is a smaller school than Waverly, hence they're D-V. And I was just surprised at what seems to me to be a low number for a D-IV school. I never said anyone had an advantage ot disadvantage b/c of the numbers. Read what I type not what someone wants to read into to what I say. If thought it would a impact on the game I'll let everyone know.

sirwalterscott
Waterboy

Post by sirwalterscott »

Thanks JohnKnight...I completely forgot about option #3

19eightyfive
Waterboy

Post by 19eightyfive »

kart81 wrote:yea, gucci you are quite right they need to throw the ball more to other players

instead of trying to get the offenseive coach's kid the glory all the time don't get me wrong he's a great ball player but he has been having trouble catching the ball the last 2 or 3 weeks it just goes through his hands.
(either that or get a super sized jar of stick-um to soak his hands in all day before game time)

the goode kid has some awsome hands, and hopefully the williams kid will get the cast off he is also a great asset that waverly has missed pretty much all season the arnett kid looked really good friday night along with the patay boy
need to use everyone they cant cover every body at once

i concure, its the playoffs, no time to build up one player to make him look good, you've got to use every weapon you have. and if they use Good and and the others that will open up the run, and we can run.

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

Let's go Band of Brothers!!!

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Good Luck Tigers from Ironmen Country!! :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

Good Luck Waverly Tigers from CAV Country :!:

Represent the Great City of Waverly, the SOC and SE-Ohio in Football tonight. We'll be rooting for you guys from Chillicothe. :-D

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Good luck Waverly.
Throw short and to the right. :-D

sig
Waterboy

Post by sig »

I just don't see Waverly having much of a chance to win this game. Zack Gust and company are to fast, aggressive and physical. If Waverly could stay within striking distance at half I suppose they might have a chance but don't see that.

72Xcurl
Freshman Team

Post by 72Xcurl »

sig wrote:I just don't see Waverly having much of a chance to win this game. Zack Gust and company are to fast, aggressive and physical. If Waverly could stay within striking distance at half I suppose they might have a chance but don't see that.

Keep these coming they will look nice on the locker room walls. I love it when we have no chance, it makes the victory that much sweeter.

Ticket to the game $8.00
Italian Sausage and a fish sandwich $6.00
Parking, Program & a Pepsi--6.00

Watching the Tigers WIN at HOME in the playoffs for the second straight year

You Guessed it

PRICELESS..........

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

good luck to Waverly!

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I know waverly can win this one, Hope everyone is healthy and ready to go

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Great Walls of Waverly
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/apps/ ... /711030328
By LANCE CRANMER
Assistant Local Editor

WAVERLY - "Hey Sweetheart," Rusty Wright yelled across the practice field behind Raidiger Field.

Several kids look up, but just one player raises to his feet amidst the sea of black practice jerseys.

While the rest of the Tigers go on with their Tuesday afternoon warm-up exercises, Trevor Walls jogs his way over toward Wright, big grin on his face.

"There's going to be one of these days I'll be walking down a street and there's going to be a ball bounce off my head," Wright joked. "That's one of those nicknames I gave him when he was in junior high. We share a little bit of love with him."
For almost as long as Wright, the Tigers' head coach, has been a part of Waverly football, Walls has been right there beside him.

"He's been on our sideline since the fifth grade," Wright said. "We've got pictures of him. Short little chubby kid on the sidelines. He was our ball boy. Since about his fifth grade year he's been on our sidelines. That's a long time to be around a team."

That chubby kid running around and making sure referees have a supply of fresh footballs nearly a decade ago, has matured into arguably the best quarterback in Waverly football history - a 6-foot-6, 215-pound gunslinger with 26 career victories, 5,500 yards and about a 5-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

"He's one of those outstanding kids," Wright said. "The biggest thing with him, some kids are talented and some kids play pretty well to a point where they level off. He's never leveled off. He's just gotten better."

Tonight, Walls leads Waverly back into the playoffs for a second-consecutive year as the Tigers host Belmont Union Local in a Division IV matchup at 7 p.m.

"We know we have to come out strong," Walls said. "We know they're a good football team. They're small, but they're quick. We had to change our defenses around to try to do what they do. They run a five-wide spread. And offensively, we're going to try to do what we've done all season."

For the most part, that has pretty much been dominate their opponents.

During his senior year, Walls completed 52.4 percent of his passes for 2,002 yards, 20 touchdowns and just four interceptions - and he did most of that playing with a separated left shoulder, his non-throwing one.

"It's been OK," he humbly said about his senior season. "We would have liked to win the Wheelersburg game, but you have to move on. We did what we wanted to do and that was make the playoffs. Now we have to try to make a run."

Wright said that has been the goal all along for his third-year starting quarterback.

"He wanted to get this team back to the playoffs. That was his No. 1 goal," he said. "That was this team's goal. Really if you talk to him about anything, that's it."

Amidst the excitement of his final high school year, it would have been easy for Walls to get lost in the whirlwind of attention suddenly thrust upon him by college scouts.

Despite being the great big kid from southern Ohio with great big numbers, Walls managed to stay off the college radar until just recently.

"I guess being from southern Ohio and not being from a big school or anything, I guess (colleges) got started late," Walls said.

"A lot of the big time scouts and recruiters have called and they're as shocked as anybody," Wright said. "When you're a 4.0 student in the classroom and he's very intelligent on the field ... it's very baffling at times, but he doesn't give it a second thought."

While no offer is officially on the table, serious interest has been shown by Big 10 and Mid-American Conference schools like Bowling Green, Toledo, Ohio, Purdue and Indiana, as well as Ivy League programs Harvard and Yale.

For now though, college football is too far away for Walls to think about.

Right now the focus is on Union Local, also a 9-1 team, and shutting down its big guns like quarterback Jordan Barbina, whose numbers (58 percent completions, 1,803 yards, 19 TDs and 11 interceptions) are comparable to Walls.

Last year the Tigers needed overtime to get past Jackson in the first round of the postseason before taking a hard loss in the second round to Columbus DeSales.

"We didn't really come out to play last year," Walls remembers of that Week 12 game in Athens. "Hopefully we change things this year. That was one of our goals in preseason was to get further than last year."

sirwalterscott
Waterboy

Post by sirwalterscott »

nice article. thanks mstangmom for the link.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I don't really know who all cover waverly as far as the papers go and I read the gazette online so I try to post them whenever they are on there.

I really believe that waverly can and will win tonight. I know thats a change from me picking against them to win BUT it is really a funny story as to why I picked against them all season, and if/when we play week 12 hopefully I will get a chance to meet many of you and I can tell you the story. even better I may let my daughter tell you since it is her story. Good news is NOW she wants waverly to win so we can meet up.

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

Thanks for posting the article mstangmom.
Right now, the Tigers' focus is on Union Local. It will be a tough contest and Waverly will need to contain Gust and have a balanced offensive attack to come away with a victory.

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

Paladin wrote:Looking at the Region, I'd handicap & rank it this way --

1. St. Clairsville
2. Portsmouth
3.Westfall
4.Union Loc.
5.Waverly
6.New Lex
7. L.H.
8. Rock Hill

Slight edge to U.L. over Waverly.

I agree w/ most of this. Having seen Westfall & Portsmouth both live, I would give an edge to Westfall

Bigboy52
All State

Post by Bigboy52 »

Good Luck Tigers!

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Is this game on the net anywhere?

I've got the Portsmouth game on one computer here at work and have the East game on the radio.

Return to “Football”